Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: S5 vs 335i test in Greece

Quote Originally Posted by MPT View Post
    Regarding the A5 / A4 you're incorrect!

Yes, the MLP-platform that is used in the A5 will also be used in the new A4 - But it will also be used in the next A6, A7, A8, Q5 and also possibly in the next A3. We will see this in - at least almost - all Audis (and few VW's) in the near future.

"100% based on the next A4" is quite a statement. The aluminum-parts (on the body, and in the suspension) will be too expensive for the next A4 - so that is not the same. The A5 is also bigger, has a more "luxurious" interior, and is better equipped - similar to the A6. It also costs about the same as the A6.

This is not just something i have made up - about the A5 being in another class than the A4. This is what Audi oficially say - just ask a dealer if you don't believe me.
    I think you are misunderstand what I was saying, the next A4 and A5 are using the exact same basic chassis structure, the A4 basic dimensions will be the same, sure the suspensions components will be different, like wise the interior designs. Where as the next A6 will be stretched version of the MLP platform and no doubt have a different interior design also.

The only area where the A4 and A5 will differ is in width, height and of course rear space.

The A5 have been marketed as an alternative to a 3series Coupe or a CLK not the 6Series or CL, so the A5 will be regarded as a 2 door version of the A4 in much the same way as the 3series Coupe is regarded as a 2 door version of the saloon and the same goes for the Merc. And regardless of what Audi are saying this is the basic facts, it will have a small price premium over the saloon, much like the other two brands, it's not a new version that is filling the gap between the A4 and A6. The A6 will get it's own coupe type in the form of the A7 (4dr) just as the CLS is the coupe version of the E-class.
    Search and you will find the truth.

BMW M3 figures

Automobilismo 0-1000m 24,35 225 km/h
    http://www.automobilismo.it/edisport...1?OpenDocument

Quattroruote 0-1000m 24,1
    http://www.quattroruote.it/prove_su_...a=183&marca=85

BMW M3 SMG II
    Automobilismo 0-1000m 24,24 224,5 km/h
    http://www.automobilismo.it/edisport...4?OpenDocument

Quattroruote 0-1000m 24,1
    http://www.quattroruote.it/prove_su_...a=250&marca=85

Thanks Hawk,

More proof that the S5 is the match of the E46 M3.

don't forget that with 3000 us dollars you can have the 335 making over 450hp (crank)and like 465+ftlbs of torque

chip 1300
    downpipes 700
    exh 700

mis 300(gages,blow off valve,ect.)

and 400wheel hp

Gotta love turbo engines

Sorry skratch but I am not one of those people who like to void a warranty just to make my car quicker. But I do see your point and why Audi have been pro-turbo for most of it's recent life.

Autocar in it's latest edition has given the S5 it's toughest group test yet. The most diverse group of cars, each with their own merits as the list of rivals will reveal. The Impreza RB320 (blistering speed and point to point pace), the BMW 335d M/Sport Touring (quality combined with low-end grunt), Vauxhall VXR8 (one of the best bang for your buck cars around) and the Jaguar S-Type R (amazing ride & handling combination).

Well to cut to the chase, the S5 was amazing, it shadowed the Imperza in acceleration to 100mph and the handling circuit by (0.3s) and (0.2s) respectively. I was a little disappointed in it's time (12.7s) which isn't that great, but in fairness all the cars didn't perform that well and anyonw with a 335d will know that it's more than capable of achieving better than 13.99s to 100mph.

It's ride was classed as amazing especially with the size and width of tyres involved and over the Welsh roads it was the match of the special Imperza for pace and ability. It was highly praised for it interior design and quality, in fact they compared that of the BMW to be low rent in comparison.

The overall winner and clearly in their eyes a very impressive car indeed.