Thread: Porsche to Audi : "In the wise words of Nelson Muntz: Ha, Ha!"

Exclamation Porsche to Audi : "In the wise words of Nelson Muntz: Ha, Ha!"

Audi R8: Great car, shame about the advert. Audi received complaints about the sheer stupidity of the R8 advert.

TV's Worst Adverts - November 21st, 2007 - TV’s Worst Adverts » Some of UK TVs Worst Adverts

Audi R8

There’s something not quite right about the Audi R8 advert and E-mails to Audi UK may show why.

First off the mobile phone giant T-Mobile had a complaint:

Date: 18/10/07
    To: Audi UK

Dear Sirs

It is with consternation that I saw your latest advertisement for the Audi R8 last night.

Whilst the quality of the advertisement was excellent I feel obliged to point out that you are in breach of the Advertising Agency Standards Code (2005); specifically sub-section 4 which clearly states "The use of recorded material by folk singers and/or singer/songwriters is exclusively reserved for mobile phone companies."

We ourselves would not have used
    The Beep, Beep Song by Simone White
    as it is bloody annoying but still consider the genre to be for our exclusive use.

Yours etc.

The next email was from respected motor journalist and TV presenter Jeremy Clarkson:

Date: 21/10/07

Sir

When oh when will you car companies have the balls to say what you really mean? Stop faffing around with ironic punch lines such as "The slowest car we’ve ever built."

Nobody cares that the car is more hand-intensively made than others. They care about one thing and one thing only.

Here’s my slogan for you and please feel free to use it: The Audi R8…Shit off a shovel!

Yours

Jeremy

And finally Porsche had a point to make:

Date: 24/10/07

Dear Sir

We hear that you are trying to compete with us in the supercar category. You will have noticed of course that Porsche, Ferrari and Lamborghini don’t advertise on television as mass advertising for a £77,000+ product doesn’t seem to work.

In the wise words of Nelson Muntz: "
    Ha, Ha!"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YKH6eX-CJI
    I couldn't agree more.

Seriously, don't even advertise a Supercar with a cheesy song in the background and finish the advert with a slogan that says "the slowest car we've ever built". It doesn't work. Oh and I quite like Jeremy Clarkson's idea of a proper slogan for the R8.

LOL...I'm not such a fan of the slogan myself to be honest. Doesnt do the R8 justice at all. It's funny though, when you read Clarkson's email you can hear his voice in your head. Funny guy...S*** off a shovel
    HKS786

Quote Originally Posted by Kowalski View Post
    Audi R8: Great car, shame about the advert. Audi received complaints about the sheer stupidity of the R8 advert.

I couldn't agree more.

Seriously, don't even advertise a Supercar with a cheesy song in the background and finish the advert with a slogan that says "the slowest car we've ever built". It doesn't work. Oh and I quite like Jeremy Clarkson's idea of a proper slogan for the R8.
    Ohh, don't be fooled. The R8 advert isn't made to sell R8's (as number one reason). It is to sell Audi, as a brand. One thing you can say about Audi - they've got some of the world's finest when it comes to marketing.

And the 'slogan' "the slowest car we have ever build" - this is just to draw attention, and then itemise the process of thoroughly examining each car. To show, that an Audi is made with perfection in mind.
    Audi - Vorsprung Durch Technik

Dear Friends,

F A K E but funny.

Qisha

PS: ASA TV Advertising Standards Code, Section 4: POLITICAL AND CONTROVERSIAL ISSUES