Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tow bar/hitch

Tow bar/hitch

I am told by the dealer that my new RS6 will not be have an option available from Audi for a tow hitch bracket. Can anyone dispell this?
    Drive it like you stole it.

The RS6 will not be able to tow. At least it's not an Audi option, but maybe aftermarket?
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

and why??

My S6 did, my S4 did??

I guess it's because of:

1) It gets too heavy to actually carry anything without having to get a special driver's license. (

2) technical reasons. The RS6 has some special cooling under the car. Maybe it doesn't fit.

3) It's an RS car. RS cars shouldn't tow things.

4) Audi is just trying to piss their customers off?

Guys
    Do cut out the paranoia!
    The RS6 has too much torque to be used as a tow vehicle as far as the German TÜV is concerned.
    If you want to tow with an RS6, and be legal, you need a chip modification so that the torque is reduced when you connect up a trailer.
    Quite simple really.

R+C

Really? I didn't even know there is such a torque limit.. Interesting.
    :snow:

In my world a lot of torque is very useful for towin

I spose the next thing you are going to tell me is that I can't put a bush hog behind my RS 6 either. Wait till you see the pictures of mine with the front end loader!
    Best wishes,

Bull

2003 RS 6
    2001 TT Coupe
    2002 TT Roadster
    2003 Nissan Murano
    RS6 Daytona Grey, Sport Exhaust Ma

I am somewhat at a loss to the point you make with torque.
    We have a '02 Ford F250 with a 6.0L V8 Diesel, this produces 420BHP and 690lb of torque, it can tow upto 6 ton.
    So where did the argument about torque come from?
    If you look back at the sale brochure for the original S4 and S6, they did not have tow bars available for a while after launch either.
    I am going to Inglestat and Neckersulm next week courtesy of Audi and it will be a question that i will ask and clarify.

Guys
    The problem with the amount of torque developed by the RS6 and towing is that there is a risk of pulling the rear end out of the car in the event of a sudden high speed jerky take-off.
    Its not a truck, they have rather different chassis.
    R+C

I'm sorry, but that makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. Basically, they are saying that if you buy (bought) an RS 6, then you buy or bought a car with too big engine? If it's the wieght they are concerned about, then I can understand it, but the torque?

And, it's an automatic. If you just let go of the brake from stand still, then you won't rip off the back-end of the car. If you do..well, no comments on that! :eye:
    :snow:

Snow
    Towing introduces stresses which the car was not neccessarily designed to take in its stride.
    For example, driveline shunt is much greater when a vehicle has a towed load then when it does not. I recently saw a heavy car put its fan through its radiator as a result of briefly slipping on a damp patch as it towed a horse float out of a wet gateway.
    As the RS6 accelerates-decelerates-accelerates in poor traction conditions, and it does so at quite a rapid rate of change as a result of its plentiful torque, it can cause the trailer to put considerable strains on the tow hitch, some of the transient loads can be way beyond safe design limitations. A less torquey car would not have the potential to generate such high transient loads.
    Incidentally, leaving your tow bar in place is more likely to cause serious damage if being hit from behind, the chassis/platform is more severely deformed.
    If you want to tow, use a vehicle designed to tow, much safer in the long run. A Diesel Touareg is a good start.
    R+C

After all the BS I am told that Audi will build a tow bar for the RS6. Whether it will happen I don't know, but they said they would.
    To all of you with your conspiricy theory about torque and so on, wait to be proven wrong, until then keep smiling!!

By the way, anyone know if Warn do a winch for the RS6??

Originally posted by Plexus
    By the way, anyone know if Warn do a winch for the RS6??
    RS6 allroad? :360:

Talking Yes, Yes Yes Yes

You too can have a tow bar!!!!!!

I have today met a man at Silversone who has a tow hitch on his RS6. He said it was the same hitch that he had on his 4.2 A6. An Audi part with removable ball.

Update

I have spoken with my Dealer yesterday, in the UK Audi would be breaking the law if they did not honour warranty claims because of fitting a tow bar. Unless it can be definitive that the towbar has caused the problem.

The part numer is ........... tow bar for A6 Quattro without self level suspension. Even better, because it is not RS6 specific it's cheap!! Approx 350euros for the bar and 150euros for the electrics.

Re: Update

cool .. now show some Pics with trailer please .. want see it

I not taking the p!$s. This guy had a car trailer on the back with an MG midget race car in it!! With the tyres spare enging and all the other stuff needed.