Thread: R8 driving experience

Threaded View

R8 driving experience

I'm just back from this event and all I can say is, that R8 is truly good sportscar. I think better than 997, although I have driven latter one only on the road, not race circuit.

It was one day event, where first half of the day was spent honing driving lines of induvidual sections of racing track and second half was spent with "hotlapping". There was instructor driving in the front and then 3 cars after him, changing the positions after each lap. Pace was depending on participants ability, the best was to be first car and "push" instructor to go faster. In the end of the day pace was quite ok and street tires were seriously suffering.

Car is quite different compared to RS4, much more agile and sporty. Same sweet engine, but better sound under acceleration. Steering feel was good and I didn't notice any understeer, but with hot tyres, when exiting the corners, rear wheels slipped and ESP was bit too busy. It was not possible to turn it off, this function was disabled for the event. Otherwise I would have seen quite a lot of oversteer. Our cars were with R-tronic trans and standard suspension and steel brakes. R-tronic I liked very much, definetly would prefer over the manual, those downshifts with slight revving between shifts, were especially sweet and shifting in general was faultless - quick and smooth. Didn't try auto mode though. Standard suspension is IMO too much comfort orientated, ok for the street, but soft for the track. I suppose optional adjustable suspenion would improve track handling. We were told, that it's comfort setting is softer than standard and sport setting firmer. Brakes coped ok, but sure ceramics would be better.

Interior is very good design and quality, ideal seating position and sweet engine noise also inside under the acceleration. Not much storage space though. I'm not big fan of outside design, looks good from behind, but not that much from profile.

Anyway, I think Audi has made great job entering new segment, product is excellent, time will tell if thats enough to make it work ?

I will post some pics later.
    Last edited by ott; May 25th, 2007 at 22:17.
    2004 RS6 Avant