Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RS6 Suspension Issues

RS6 Suspension Issues

Have had the classic thump in the rear suspension as well as a bouncy suspension. The car has been two dealer many times with same complaint and they have been unable to repair. They replaced both central valves, 3 shocks, and a strut but still unable to resolve the loud thump in the rear suspension that many RS6 owners complain of. The dealer now claims the sound is normal in an RS6. Any suggestions.

You need to go to the AW RS6 forum and search the archives for "DRC repair".

Here is one example.
    Jet Black/Imola Red, No Sunroof, Ground Control Everything, Magnesium BBS, a/d/s amp/speakers
    1993 Ford F250
    250k miles, 460ci, lots of scratches and dents, hauls anything and starts everytime

I would ask the dealer why they have replaced so may parts for a condition they claim is normal.

Tell your dealer that you want him to call AoA in your presence and have someone there comfirm that the RS6 has a loud thump from the rear built in at the factory on all $85,000 RS6 cars standard,..

Good luck getting the DRC repaired..

I have already read all the DRC postings and they have helped me understand the problem. I called AoA to file a complaint and they are following up with service manager. The main issue is that the dealer drives car on smooth road so obviously there is no noise from suspension and they claim that noise from suspension over bumps is normal. I really do not know what else to do; dealer claims they train other RS6 techs so they are supposed to be the best.

Tell them you know the days are over where the customer is always right, but how dare they imply that you are lying! Why would you be there reporting a problem if none existed? Now stop trying to discredit me and get on with fixing the problem I have described to you!

Then again, you can do what I just did - give up on Audi's total indifference to the issue of DRC, and go the after-maket route; I am awaiting delivery of my STaSIS-Ohlins any day now. I am tired of floating around benders like an old Caddy
    GBNF: Mugello, silver, carbon, RNS-E, H&R coilovers, Hotchkiss
    '14 GL550
    '79 911SC Targa

Please name the dealer.

So we all will know who is still dragging their feet.
    My dealer in Minneapolis says they will repair mine (when it works fine and shows signs of a tiny leak at two shocks) for $50 as soon as I say "Do it.". I'm not going to take the risk of messing it up until the system has leaked enough fluid to loosen up.
    Jet Black/Imola Red, No Sunroof, Ground Control Everything, Magnesium BBS, a/d/s amp/speakers
    1993 Ford F250
    250k miles, 460ci, lots of scratches and dents, hauls anything and starts everytime

There isnt a whole lot of fluid in there to begin with..

BTW Whats the $50 for?

CPO warranty deductible is $50.
    My car drives fine and has a tiny leak in the LF and RR shocks. Once enough fluid leaks out the central valve will start to bottom out on rebound with the now infamous clunk from the back of the car.
    1993 Ford F250

Thump is not normal. Ypour dealer should fix it, though given their track record you may want the repair done elsewhere.
    SoCal

Current: S6 (2007), A3 2.0T (2008), RX-7 (1995)

Previous Audi: RS6 (2003)

Another one bites the dust.....

When I first posted my DRC issues I got FLACK about it because it was "A Rare Problem just with a 'few' cars."

Well Well....

They CAN fix it...they just have to follow the Audi Directions - EXACTLY....
    1. find the leaking spots....that's SPOTS...all four seals are suspect, one at each shock.
    2. Replace all four shocks, if the fluid was out, the shock inner guts are damaged, thus the CLUNK.
    3. Reconnect shocks and tubes,
    4. Repressurize shocks and tubes to min 5 barr.
    5. Reconnect NEW central valves which come from the factory with 16 barr pressure.

Done.

Anything else is a waste of your time and the shops time.
    Price....central valves 1300 each, shocks 400 each (or less, not 100% sure on the shocks).
    Value of YOUR TIME going back and forth...priceless.

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for info and you are 100% correct. My dealer replaced 3 shocks but all at seperate times and they have replaced the central valves for the second time and there is still a thump. Dealer originally fixed thump then it came back actually. They probably should have replaced all four shocks from the start but I guess they will only replace if they see a leak. My dealer says they did the best they can and now claim that thump sound is normal after 3 shocks, strut, and replacing center valves twice. Waiting for a response from AoA.

Mike,

Are your instructions posted clearly in the techs manual. I do not understand why the tech did not replace all four shocks from the start.

Dan

The basic take is that if a shock is emptied of fluid or partially that shock cannot be trusted.

If all the check valves work and all the seals are replaced, there is not much lost by not replacing a possibly damaged shock, as long as it can be precharged to 5 barr and it does not leak after the NEW central valve is installed.

So from a common sense standpoint the extra money spent on replacing all four shocks at the onset will most likely save the added cost of replacing the central valves TWICE.

The valves are $1400 each, while the shocks are 300 or 400 each...do the math.

My guys went through THREE sets of central valves before replacing the front shocks, and fortunately the newly installed new REAR shocks did not get damaged when the then fully repressurized soon to leak front shocks actually began to leak AS I PREDICTED to them.

What happened is the rear seals went first, leaking from the rear, emptying the REAR shocks (both) thus the bouncing rear end and the clunk. By the time they trouble shot the bouncing car and sent me back and forth FOUR hours each way the rears were completely empty. Since the pressure was down the RATE of loss of fluid was slow enough that the front shocks did not appear to become damaged.

They replaced the rear seals, repressured to the 5 barr (most they can do at the shop) but did not replace the central valves until I started screaming at them....then they finally agreed to replace the rear shocks which had been damaged but at least were not leaking at that point.

Once the system was repressuzed with new Central Valves the system was back to that 16 barr number....it did not take a rocket scientist to predict that the same problem with the seals in the rear would also effect the front. By the time I drove off the lot the system had already began to get soft. They then replaced the FRONT shocks and seals, but the central valves had already become depressurized. They had already gone through two sets of central valves by that point if I recall the exact sequence of events.

The second dealership which I stumbled on in Cicero noted that the suspension was not right immediately when they drove it. They found another leak up front, replaced the tubing/check valve, repressurized the four shocks and after making sure there were NO LEAKS, connected set number three of central valves, and the car was close to normal where it remains. Fortunately for me.

I offered to buy the four shocks in the first place, figuring if not needed I'd simply have then available for the future. The price was about $1200 for the four if I recall. My time was worth more than that....

They wasted about $3000 in parts, plus extra labor, plus MY TIME fixing it.

Audi did give me two months lease payments back though, and I used that to buy the extended warrantee as I ate up about 8000 miles of my warrantee going back and forth over 3 months.

Good luck.

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the help. Sounds like my problem is very similar as the central valves were replaced twice and system is still not right. Still waiting on AoA response. Did you deal with anyone at AoA who may be able to help me.

Quote Originally Posted by AMG EATR View Post
    Mike,

Thanks for the help. Sounds like my problem is very similar as the central valves were replaced twice and system is still not right. Still waiting on AoA response. Did you deal with anyone at AoA who may be able to help me.
    Glenn Mac Gregor
    Technical Field Manager

Audi of America
    Product Quality and Technical Service
    Northeast region
    753 Forest St.
    Marlboro, MA 01752
    Tel.508 460 0358
    Fax. 508 460 1891

Mike,

I have talked with Glen already, he was pretty passive about the whole issue. AoA called and service manager said the suspension is sport and should make loud noises over bumps. They say there is nothing else they can do. I knew the service manager would say that and AoA is using this as a copout. ANy suggestions.