Thread: Low moaning from the front end

Low moaning from the front end

...and it's not the cool kind. When I start up the beast and pull out of a parking spot forward and turning, there's a low metal on metal sound and a vibration coming through the steering column. It has become worse since I took it to the dealer and they couldn't find anything wrong with it.

Any ideas out there?

Hey, I'm experiencing the same damn thing. It's like a repetitive groaning sound when I turn upon startup. And, here I thought it was just cold weather in the Northeast freezing up some parts, but I guess that's impossible with you in FL.

Looks like another issue to add to my suspension clunk. Oddly enough, I don't experience the "moaning" once the car is warmed up and being driven around.

Anyone have any thought?

same here...this problem has been called groaning on RS6.com...search it and you will find many with this problem...we NEED a solution!!!!
    I hate inertia...

Guess #1

Power steering pump?

I vaguely seem to recall having it, too, but not recently.

CW

If the groaning coincides with steering or turning the car, bleeding and replacing the power steering fluid has been shown to solve it -- for a while. Here's the most recent thread:

http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10373
    Current: 09 G8 GT

Previously owned includes: 03 RS 6, 00 Audi S4, 98 Audi A4, 05 Chrysler Crossfire SRT6, 86 Buick Regal turbo, 75 BMW 530i, 7? Lotus Elite, 72 Jaguar XJ6, 71 Audi 100LS, 69 Pontiac Firebird 400, 68 Dodge Charger, 52 Triumph TR2

Quote Originally Posted by CornersWell View Post
    Power steering pump?

I vaguely seem to recall having it, too, but not recently.

CW
    that was mine
    03 rs6 dahlback 461 awd hp 530 tq. 12.2 118 gone
    01 rs4
    Rs6 avant loba 6sp

check power steering fluid, in the thread noted, i posted a few things to do to bleed air, if found.
    dave
    '03 rs6
    '04 allroad tdi

Resurrecting this thread because it seems like others seemed to be having a similar problem as I'm having and I want to see if there's any updated info.

My Beast came from Florida, so this is its first few 30 degree days in South Dakota and it's literally been reduced to a whiny b!#ch. The power steering pump has been getting a little louder over the past few weeks... I checked the fluid a few weeks ago (it was a little low) and filled it, but it's not made any difference. Also, the cooling fan has started to run for several minutes after shutdown. In the 100-degree summer after running hard, it never ran for more than 15 seconds after shutdown.

Yesterday, as I was pulling out of the parking lot (after car was sitting in 30 degrees all day), it started surging and choking at idle (like it was flooded or cold or something). I turned it on and off a few times as I tried to get down the street... it was throwing a bunch of codes. Finally I turned back away from the busy street and blasted down some industrial roads - everything seems fine after warmed up (except ps pump is still loud and fan still ran a long time after shutdown)

Here are the codes:
    P0175 System Too Rich (Bank 2)
    P2181 Engine Cooling System Performance
    P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
    P0308 Cylinder 8 Misfire Detected

I can't believe it's going to be this way just because it's cold. I'll take it to my Audi dealer (who really seems to have zero experience with RS6s), but am guessing they'll just clear codes and tell me to come back if it happens again.

Probably obvious to most but when you flush the fluid, don't use regular power steering fluid but only the Pentosin CHF 11S or Audi labled stuff. BMW uses the same fluid I believe. It's not cheap but is the only stuff that Audi/VW approve.
    BenA, it sounds like you have a bad coil (most likely) or plug on cylinder 8. Coils are cheap $25, plugs $13. Probably causing your richness on that bank too. Not sure about the onther code for Engine cooling system?
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Low moaning sound coming from thre front end? thats easy- you have run over a dwarf.......

(also check the arch liner, sometimes the wheel catches ths and produces this kind of sound.)
    So fast, it will re-arrange yer trousers!!

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    Probably obvious to most but
    BenA, it sounds like you have a bad coil (most likely) or plug on cylinder 8. Coils are cheap $25, plugs $13. Probably causing your richness on that bank too. Not sure about the onther code for Engine cooling system?
    Thanks hahn-
    Car is at the shop now. I was thinking the problems were related but maybe they're more coincidental. I'm hoping it's a cheap solution (there aren't many)... or at least a solution that's mostly covered by Fidelity. It's going to be a long freakin' winter for this car if it's this tempermental in the cold-- 30 degrees is balmy compared to what it will be a month from now

I second the spark plugs and coils.

When were the plugs last changed? Remember this car has a 20k schedule on the plugs.

As for noise. Flush properly the p/s fluid with the correct fluid.

Lastly, for cold starts after the car has been parked. Do you folks warm up the car to temp before takeoff?

Quote Originally Posted by BenA View Post
    Thanks hahn-
    Car is at the shop now. I was thinking the problems were related but maybe they're more coincidental. I'm hoping it's a cheap solution (there aren't many)... or at least a solution that's mostly covered by Fidelity. It's going to be a long freakin' winter for this car if it's this tempermental in the cold-- 30 degrees is balmy compared to what it will be a month from now

Definitely flush out the old PS fluid. Old threads here will show that it gets hot and forms bubbles that come out only when the fluid is flushed out. Replacing fluid works until the bubbles appear again. Mine lasted maybe 10K mi after each change of fluid. Some may last longer, some may never have this problem.
    Current: 09 G8 GT

Previously owned includes: 03 RS 6, 00 Audi S4, 98 Audi A4, 05 Chrysler Crossfire SRT6, 86 Buick Regal turbo, 75 BMW 530i, 7? Lotus Elite, 72 Jaguar XJ6, 71 Audi 100LS, 69 Pontiac Firebird 400, 68 Dodge Charger, 52 Triumph TR2

I have had the same power steering issue over the years...low fluid helped/stopped it for the last 4 but this last time it started groaning when it was actually warm out. Filled the fluid twice at dealer. After i brought it in again they then agreed the pump was shot and they replaced the entire pump under the CPO warranty. Hasn't done it since.

Your other issues are certainly not related. I agree on the plugs/coil comment above by your symptoms. I'm in chicago and rarely have a problem with the car in the cold or cold starts. Its better than my old TT was. I do let it warm up before moving off if the car was sitting outside on a very cold day.
    2012 R8 GT #275 Suzuka, 2014 RS7 Suzuka/Lunar Silver, 2013 RS5 Suzuka/Lunar Silver
    2000 Audi TT Neiman Marcus Edition #47, 1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible
    Past...03 RS6, 10 S5 Cabriolet, 00 NMTT #25, 94 Audi Cabriolet

This car should be warmed up prior to take off in cold. Your full rich on cold starts and that with older plugs can foul them very easy if your taking off early on a cold engine.

You may call the shop and have them check the coolant sensor operation. (this is your fan running and sensor code)

Resurrecting this thread because it seems like others seemed to be having a similar problem as I'm having and I want to see if there's any updated info.

My Beast came from Florida, so this is its first few 30 degree days in South Dakota and it's literally been reduced to a whiny b!#ch. The power steering pump has been getting a little louder over the past few weeks... I checked the fluid a few weeks ago (it was a little low) and filled it, but it's not made any difference. Also, the cooling fan has started to run for several minutes after shutdown. In the 100-degree summer after running hard, it never ran for more than 15 seconds after shutdown.

Yesterday, as I was pulling out of the parking lot (after car was sitting in 30 degrees all day), it started surging and choking at idle (like it was flooded or cold or something). I turned it on and off a few times as I tried to get down the street... it was throwing a bunch of codes. Finally I turned back away from the busy street and blasted down some industrial roads - everything seems fine after warmed up (except ps pump is still loud and fan still ran a long time after shutdown)

Here are the codes:
    P0175 System Too Rich (Bank 2)
    P2181 Engine Cooling System Performance
    P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
    P0308 Cylinder 8 Misfire Detected

I can't believe it's going to be this way just because it's cold. I'll take it to my Audi dealer (who really seems to have zero experience with RS6s), but am guessing they'll just clear codes and tell me to come back if it happens again.

Thanks hahn-
    Just got the car back from the shop... and at least part of it was an easy fix. The issue seems so clear now in hindsight... and the diagnosis is-- bad coolant temp sensor. Faulty sensor was telling it it was too cold on start-up (sending too much fuel, running rich, causing misfires) and then probably that it was too hot on shutdown (causing fan to run for a long time after shutdown). So that seems to address it at least for now - goodbye $200.

As for the power steering pump-- "sounds OK to me" was the response. I question if one should really be able to hear a power steering pump running all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post

You may call the shop and have them check the coolant sensor operation. (this is your fan running and sensor code)

Great call DHall!!

And yes, I do let the car warm up before driving... and it gets to sleep in a heated garage. Spark plugs only have about 2k miles on them.

:-)

I love it when the plan comes thru.

Your description was spot on....that is why I was on track.

Kiss the crystal ball and its good to you.

Great call DHall!!

And yes, I do let the car warm up before driving... and it gets to sleep in a heated garage. Spark plugs only have about 2k miles on them.