Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: RS6 Brake Cooling Modifications - Details

Quote Originally Posted by LU-RS6 View Post
    I'm always on the track with the RS6 with ESP on, I'm not a professional plus it's my daily so better not steer it into the armco The beast is an understeer maniac so I let the ESP help me out a bit.
    I'm wit ja on dat one brother! I feel the same way. I use the ESP light as a little tap on the shoulder that "the edge" is very near. The ESP on the RS6 will allow you to kick out the rear end just a bit without intervention allow a nice 4 wheel drift. But steps in nicely and unobtrusively when necessary.

btw....it doesn't understeer nearly as much with the H-Sport Sways front and rear with the rear set a it's tightest setting. FWIW

I dont really the RS6 that understeery...and I am VERY sensitive to that...

What I love about he RS is the amount you can rotate it with the brakes...as they are MASSIVE and the weight transfers easily...

Thenagain...its all driver dependant...Ill take this car and make someone think its rwd...but another that drove the car said he just felt alot of push..Also,you could try to lessen the pressure in the rear tires to help swing the back around...

I think ( i could be TOTALLY wrong) this car is capable of what its driver can put into it...kinda like the Lotus Elise Top gear episode where Clarkson just just massive UNDERSTEER and the guy who knew the car was drifting the thing around like a D1 champ...

As for the braking...ya, I want a better set up bigtime...Im happy with the calipers...but the heat generated is not acceptable for this car...ESP on or off...I think Ill start with the ducts, fluid, lines and pads...anyone have a good place that caters to the RS6 sizes?
    I hate inertia...

Has anyone had any experience with Porterfield R4-S street pads. They seem to be a good alternative to Blues and you can get them for the rears!

Stumbled across this while I was looking for info on pads. Seems like a bargain for cryo services.

http://www.metal-wear.com/racing_brakes.htm

Update on aftermarket front rotors

I've participated in 6 schools since using the aftermarket front rotors. Just got back from Mid-Ohio. Same front rotors for all 6 schools. They were turned once last November due to warping when coming off the track after a hot lap without cool down lap. Subsequently ran in 4 more schools (Heartland Park, 2 at Gateway Intl, and Mid-Ohio) on same rotors. Finished off second set of Pagid RS15 pads last weekend and I'd say the first set of rotors are about done.

I'm satisfied with this set up. Great braking from any speed, no pad or fluid fading issues and brakes are consistent for an entire session. I'll be taking the car in for it's last factory warranty service next month. When it's there I'll have the technician check the front wheel bearings to confirm that there hasn't been excessive heat transfer due to the hat/ring design.

This set-up works great for track days. But I wouldn't leave the track rotors and pads on for street use. Also I believe that switching to carbon based (OEM) street pads then back to the RS15's can cause issues from incompatible pad material transfer on the rotors. Proper bed in procedures are absolutely necessary to obtain best results.

As for the rears.....first set of Pagid RS19 (yellow) pads are less than half worn but are obviously doing a lot of work. This might even be a good pad for the front if you want longer wear with a bit less friction. Rear rotors have been on since I purchased the car and they will be replaced next month too. The rear rotors have about 25 driving schools on them.

I will continue to use this set-up for track day activities.

btw...did I tell you that I REALLY love this car!

Quote Originally Posted by JP4 View Post

btw...did I tell you that I REALLY love this car!
    Thanks for that write up!

Jimmy and yourself (and possibly Icon) are the last of us still tracking our . Awesome to hear!

And mine just finished its last factory paid trip to the dealer and got brand spanking new front rotors and pads.

Ben
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

ahh...so you will be squeeling a buttload tomorrow then...even after bedding the pads...I get the worst noises coming from my new everythings for quite some time...really annoying...
    I hate inertia...

Cough...

Quote Originally Posted by Benman View Post
    Jimmy and yourself (and possibly Icon) are the last of us still tracking our .

Ben
    (cough)

'97 993TT, '14 E63 S-line, '17 GT-R and a couple of '12 Mini Cooper S Countryman ALL4s for the kids.

Quote Originally Posted by iconcls View Post
    (cough)

Well,

I guess that answers that!

You still have the Beast though, right?

Ben
    Ron Paul Fan

You still have the Beast though, right?

Ben
    Absolutely, I just made a "track" change bec. I was going broke buying tires and brake pads.
    '97 993TT, '14 E63 S-line, '17 GT-R and a couple of '12 Mini Cooper S Countryman ALL4s for the kids.

JP4, sounds like you will be ordering some new rings. Lets organize a group buy.

Thanks for that write up!

Jimmy and yourself (and possibly Icon) are the last of us still tracking our . Awesome to hear!

And mine just finished its last factory paid trip to the dealer and got brand spanking new front rotors and pads.

Ben
    Actually I know of at least 3 others. Jimmy and I have a mutual friend/instructor that was at Mid-O last weekend with his RS6 set up just like mine and Jimmy's. I had a student at the Nationals last November at Barber from the Atlanta area tracking his RS6. He even had a set of Schroth harnesses installed while we were there. And the 3rd was a guy from Tennessee that I instructed last year at Mid-O with an RS6. So.....they're still out there for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by iconcls View Post
    (cough)

OH BABY!

Quote Originally Posted by itchingtogo View Post
    JP4, sounds like you will be ordering some new rings. Lets organize a group buy.
    Jimmy and I were actually talking about that a week or two ago. So it's certainly possible.

Jimmy and yourself (and possibly Icon) are the last of us still tracking our .
    Ben
    Ben, you might want to look way up north before you make that statement again...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Track1.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	5272  
    2010 XFR
    2004 RS6 (sold)
    2008 Exige S 240
    2009 V8 Vantage
    2008 X5 4.8i

Quote Originally Posted by SpinEcho View Post
    Ben, you might want to look way up north before you make that statement again...

Sorry Spin, forgot about my Canadian brothers...

Just seems more and more are retiring the Beast for track duty save the few die hards and hats off to them!

Ben

I have one month left on my warranty and then its all on me.
    Ron Paul Fan

Working on Rotor Order

Quote Originally Posted by JP4 View Post
    Jimmy and I were actually talking about that a week or two ago. So it's certainly possible.
    Hi All,

We're collecting names for any of you who are interested in the rotors discussed in these threads.
    I have contacted and received information from some. If you would send me your e-mail address I can then send e-mail directly to each interested parties at the same time. It is difficult to communicate effectively through the forums. You can respond directly to me. Please provide City, state, country so we'll be able to assess any unusual shipping needs.
    Eventually, we will need deposits and your complete shipping information, including a phone #.

Jimmy S.
    jimmys@cableone.net

Registered User DetailersDomain's Avatar
    so I was curious, how much would the vw phaeton brake cooling mod run, as well will the pagid 15 and 19's be good for street?

also are there any vendors here in the states that do stainless lines for the beast.

one more if I don't intend to do track events should I just stick with Oem rotors with the pagid pads and cooling ducts and brake fluid (motul).

Thanks!
    Phil
    Phil Yiu
    Detailer's Domain
    e-mail: phil@detailersdomain.com