Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RS6 Brake Cooling Modifications - Details

RS6 Brake Cooling Modifications - Details

The RS6 has a wonderful set of brakes. 8-piston Brembo callipers with 365x34mm cast rotors, that provide plenty of stopping power and a wonderful pedal feel. However, while Audi was careful to remove the prospect of excessive heat build up in the hub using a floating rotor design (an issue for other hi-po cars), it neglected to provide the standard setup with enough cooling to avoid fade after repeated heavy use. While pad compounds can certainly help this, providing air cooling to the setup is a very cost-effect, street legal, method of improving the standard setup.

The VW Phaeton luxo-barge has a variety of standard front brake setups, one of which is of particular interest - the 365x34mm setup (not the same as the RS6 btw). This comes with a couple of nice features:

1.A better full-size backing plate than the ¾ size RS6 setup, and
    2.A big air-scoop designed to work with wide, low profile tyres.

This project is about adapting the Phaeton brake setup to the RS6. I have just completed this upgrade to my RS6. This post contains the detail of how I made the parts fit, with the objective that anyone with moderate skill would be able to accomplish the work.

To start, you require the following parts
    1) 2x Phaeton backing plates (3do 615 311c & 3d0 615 312c)
    2) 2x Phaeton air ducts (3d0 615 447d & 3d0 615 448d)
    3) 4x brake bolts (100 650 02)
    4) 8x securing bolts (908 429 03)
    5) A sheet of 4mm particle board
    6) Some small 2mm mild steel pieces
    7) A couple of 10mm (long shank) 3mm rivets (aluminium)
    8) A 3mm drill and a 20mm borer.
    9) Tools: Jigsaw, Welder, Knife, Drill, Socket set

Stage 1 - Preparation

Remove the road wheels, and access the brake system. Use a large screwdriver to force the pads back against the pistons a few mm. Don't go overboard here as you need to ensure that brake fluid doesn't overflow the reservoir. Now locate the rotor with a wheel bolt. I normally use the post from the toolkit to ease the job of removing the wheel and this is also useful to locate the rotor and stop it from turning. 1 more bolt is all you need to secure it.

Use a hex head to remove the 2 M8 bolts that secure the callipers to the adapters. These are stretch bolts and will need to be replaced. I find it much easier to remove the calliper this way rather than to remove the adapter plate. However, if you remove the adapter plate, you do not have to replace the bolts. Make sure you have some stiff wire to hold the calliper.

You should see something like Figure 1 below

Stage 2 - Measurement and Cutting

The Phaeton backing plates will not fully fit the RS6. There are a couple of issues we need to solve; The bottom of the strut sits proud of the plane of the securing bolts and the 4 bolts occupy slightly different positions in either car.

To make the plate fit, we need to mask out the bottom of the strut. In order to do this, I used a simple technique involving thin cardboard which I secured using the backing plate bolts, and then using a sharp knife and scissors made the cardboard fit precisely.

Figure 2 below

Once you are happy with this, you need to get busy with your jigsaw. [If you are confident with your jigsaw skills, you can go straight to the stage of cutting out the backing plate, but I chose the intermediate step - partly as this was the 1st time, and I was unsure of the issues with the bolt holes.]

Using the 4mm particle board, trace out the shape of the phaeton backing plate and make sure the fit is good. Now using the cardboard piece, make the cut-out into the particle board to the point where the particle board can be bolted up to the strut.

Figure 3 & 4 below

Note the top bolthole that doesn't match up. We will come to this shortly.

Now that you have an accurate blank, you can get to work with your jigsaw (now with mild steel blades) and cut out the strut hole in the 1mm mild steel backing plate. This is not hard, and a little bit of care will result in a good job. You will need to elongate the bottom bolt hole somewhat in order to fit correctly.

Figure 5 & 6 below

Stage 3 - Anal Retentives Anonymous

I have mentioned that top bolt not being covered by the strut. You may not bother about this. The 3 remaining bolts secure the backing plate very well, and there is no need for the 4th bolt. Really. No really. Anyway, I wasn't happy about this and so made up a couple of pieces of 2mm mild steel to cover the holes and welded these to the backing plate. This is a relatively painstaking job, one which you could out-source to your local engineering shop or do with a bit of effort yourself. Don't forget to paint the end result to avoid issues with rust.

I used 2mm plate against the 1mm backing plate as this lined up the vertical plane of the bolts holes after I had profiled the steel fillets. You will need to champher the pieces carefully to avoid blow-through when you weld.

The end result, bolted up will look from Figure 7 below to all bolted up with 4 bolts (Figure 8 below).

Now re-assemble the brake assembly. The Allen bolts for the callipers need to be replaced with new (stretch) bolts and be torqued to 120nm.
    I used the 8 "backing plate" bolts to replace the 8 old ones (they come with lock-tight already on them), and use the old bolts to secure the scoops. These can be any M8 bolt, (I originally used stainless M8 Allen bolts), but I like the EOM bolts as they are low profile, and we care about aerodynamics (right)?

Stage 4 - Clearance

Now you have the backing plate secure, you only have 1 more issue to sort - the clearance of the scoop itself. It is 90% fine, height and width work well with the 19" wheel (and even better with the 18" one). However, on full lock, the bottom strut bolt will push the scoop against the backing plate - not all the way, but enough to be a bother. The plate itself is stronger than the original one, but you won't want this happening, if you are like me.

You can do one of 3 things:

a) Ignore it. Don't.

b) Turn the strut bolts around (the nut faces forwards, use a new bolt to drive the old one out and have the bolt head facing front. This is quite straight-forward - remember to protect the track rod (behind) from the bolt head as you drive it out. Use a putty knife or something. Finally remember not to tighten the bolt (80nm) until the car has it's weight on the wheels (as the bush will twist otherwise).

c) Cut a hole in the scoop to accommodate the bolt. This is the course of action I took. Mainly because turning the bolt around doesn't sort the clearance issue (it does make a difference, but not enough for me), and because the 20mm hole you require can be easily masked.
    I made careful note of the centre of the bolt where it impacted the scoop, and drilled a 20mm hole which, if you're careful is all you require for the nut to clear. If you're not careful enough, use a knife to carefully widen the hole to fit.

Next I used a strip of thickish (2mm) rubber and a 3mm pop rivet to cover the front of the hole. This has the effect of prevent air moving through the hole, but moving aside for the strut bolt when required. See below the hole correctly situated to clear the bolt (look carefully and you will see the end of the bolt poking through the hole - Figure 9):

The final pictue (Figure 10) shows the front view of the end result.

many thanks to jimmy s for tips and btdt!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	1093 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	4745   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	910 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	4746   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	1024 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	4748   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	869 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	4749   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.jpg 
Views:	968 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	4750   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8.jpg 
Views:	869 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	4752  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9.jpg 
Views:	1147 
Size:	52.8 KB 
ID:	4753   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13.jpg 
Views:	1189 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	4754   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0662.jpg 
Views:	951 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	4756   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0670.jpg 
Views:	1879 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	4757  
    dave
    '03 rs6
    '04 allroad tdi

Wonderful write-up skiwi. Think it'll be usefull for many out there that have not installed this mod yet.

Get out and drive

WOW, this needs to be a sticky and added to the Audiworld tech articles. Great job! Makes me wan't to document my impending Valentine 1 third brake light stealth install with the ADR dash display.

further pictures

further photos on the install

Name:	10.jpg 
Views:	750 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	4762   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11.jpg 
Views:	702 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	4763   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0667.jpg 
Views:	772 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	4764   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0666.jpg 
Views:	761 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	4765  
    dave
    '03 rs6
    '04 allroad tdi

Thumbs up VW Phaeton brake ducts

skiwi,

Very nice write-up. Jimmy talked me into this mod last year too. And I must say I don't regret it.

I made an attempt to quantify the improvement with the brake ducts and came up with a figure of ~10% reduction in front rotor temperatures. IMO this is significant enough to justify the time and expense. Especially if you occassionally track the car.

JP4

Still I feel a lot more cooling is needed.
    There MUST be something else...
    Get out and drive

Quote Originally Posted by LU-RS6 View Post
    Still I feel a lot more cooling is needed.
    There MUST be something else...
    Jimmy and I agree comletely. We had a special rotor made that fits the OEM 8 pot Brembo. We're currently evaluating how well it works and how it will hold up. The custom rotor is just over 6 pounds lighter on each front corner and operating temperatures appear to be ~400 degrees F cooler than the factory rotor after a typical 20 minute track session.

JP4
    Last edited by JP4; March 13th, 2007 at 18:39. Reason: clarification

Quote Originally Posted by JP4 View Post
    Jimmy and I agree comletely. We had a special rotor made that fits the OEM 8 pot Brembo. We're currently evaluating how well it works and how it will hold up. The custom rotor is just over 6 pounds lighter on each front corner and operating temperatures appear to be ~400 degrees F cooler than the factory rotor after a typical 20 minute track session.

JP4

Honestly after doing my lap on the ring I thought the rotors/calipers were going to explode
    But I understand with 2 passengers, fuel and some stuff in the car,it must weight at last 2200 kg. And that's ALOT.

Anyway keep us posted about your progress, because the RS6 is such a damn good car to track apart form the braking probs.
    Get out and drive

Honestly after doing my lap on the ring I thought the rotors/calipers were going to explode
    But I understand with 2 passengers, fuel and some stuff in the car,it must weight at last 2200 kg. And that's ALOT.

Anyway keep us posted about your progress, because the RS6 is such a damn good car to track apart form the braking probs.
    We'll do LU-RS6! Heading for Heartland Park in Topeka, Kansas in a week and a half. It will be the 3 weekend on my first set of custom front rotors.

JP4
    Last edited by JP4; March 13th, 2007 at 18:52. Reason: typo

Have any pics?
    Get out and drive

Have any pics?
    Let's see here .......how's this?

Name:	RS6_Brakes 007_small.jpg 
Views:	818 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	4766   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RS6_Brakes 011_small.jpg 
Views:	919 
Size:	143.6 KB 
ID:	4767   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RS6_Brakes 016_small.jpg 
Views:	747 
Size:	113.5 KB 
ID:	4768   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RS6_Brakes 034_small.jpg 
Views:	893 
Size:	118.2 KB 
ID:	4769   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RS6_Brakes 035_small.jpg 
Views:	931 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	4770  

Great thanks You can very well see they should result in better cooling from the side picture.

Are these stoptec alike rotors? I have seen them on an integra last weekend.

Get out and drive

Great thanks You can very well see they should result in better cooling from the side picture.

Are these stoptec alike rotors? I have seen them on an integra last weekend.
    No they're not. It's actually an off the self NASCAR type friction ring that has been cut to fit the RS6. The hats were engineered specifically for our fitment with the 8 pot Brembo's.

JP4

Just to point it out. A stock RS6 sedan on street tiers is driven around the nurburgring in 8.20 min, thats a FULL lap!! This is done whit out any issues whit the brakes at all!

One do have to remember that its pretty common(normal) to overbake a car at the ring due to the speeads there. Flying down the fox hole at 250km/h on speedo in a lump of over 2000kg tend to make the brake pedal to be used to much. What i mean is it not only the brakes to blame, even ouer selvf as drivers are to blame.

And last, ther are no brakes what ever 15 pot caliper and halfmeter rotor that will stop the law of fysik anyway. One manage to get very far by working whit in the limits of whatever brakes, its not all easy, but still.
    Its 8.20 in RS6 full lap on the ring, no problems, but hey Horst dont brake that much on a lap

Anyway nice to see the small uppgrades you do on your cars, its a very god investment and small money, but it work well. But still one nead to reflect to the way one brake a car as well.

One could whit ease fade out what ever brake system(even the biggest bad as kit) if one would like, no problems at all!!. Just a pointer.
    Over the years i driven the ring, well most speed lately is as well from not braking at all at some places, or braking way less. Still it take time to figure out, scary track But a place to die for
    "Learning by doing"

"It's racing, bullfighting and mountain climbing - the rest is just games"
    ..Hemingway..

Quote Originally Posted by 7:53 RS6 View Post
    Just to point it out. A stock RS6 sedan on street tiers is driven around the nurburgring in 8.20 min, thats a FULL lap!! This is done whit out any issues whit the brakes at all!

One do have to remember that its pretty common(normal) to overbake a car at the ring due to the speeads there. Flying down the fox hole at 250km/h on speedo in a lump of over 2000kg tend to make the brake pedal to be used to much. What i mean is it not only the brakes to blame, even ouer selvf as drivers are to blame.

And last, ther are no brakes what ever 15 pot caliper and halfmeter rotor that will stop the law of fysik anyway. One manage to get very far by working whit in the limits of whatever brakes, its not all easy, but still.
    Its 8.20 in RS6 full lap on the ring, no problems, but hey Horst dont brake that much on a lap

Anyway nice to see the small uppgrades you do on your cars, its a very god investment and small money, but it work well. But still one nead to reflect to the way one brake a car as well.

One could whit ease fade out what ever brake system(even the biggest bad as kit) if one would like, no problems at all!!. Just a pointer.
    Over the years i driven the ring, well most speed lately is as well from not braking at all at some places, or braking way less. Still it take time to figure out, scary track But a place to die for
    All very good and valid points. It is my belief however that the RS6 OEM rotor was a good compromise for a car that is used primarily on public roads and was not intended or designed to tolerate the rigors of "hot laps" on a road coarse. It's a fact that when Champion Motorsports first put the RS6 in the Speed GT Series they tried running the car with the OEM rotors and calipers but soon found out that they could not stand up to the rigors of competitive driving on the type of road coarses that they were driving on. They subsequently completely changed out the front and rear brakes with an Alcon setup with much better results. And their cars were several hundred pounds lighter than the street versions after they stripped them down to racing weight.

I've never used the brakes hard enough to "fry" them in one day like some folks have with a heavy brake foot but I have been able to quantify some data on the difference between the OEM rotors and aftermarket rotors using the OEM Brembo's with track pads.

Peak OEM rotor temps after a typical 20 minute track session on a road coarse measured with temperature paint......Fronts ~650 C, rears no data.

OEM rotor temps after a cool down lap.....Fronts ~400 C, Rears ~235 C. Measured with infrared thermometer.

After-market peak rotor temps after a typical 20 minute track session on the same road coarse with the same brake pads and wheel/tire setup. Ambient temp within 10 degrees....Fronts ~425 C, rears no data.

After-market rotor temps after a cool down lap....Fronts ~245 C, Rears ~235 C. Measured with infrared thermometer.

Also of note is the fact that after I switched to a high temperature brake fluid and track pads I have never experienced any brake fade during track sessions. Before I made that change (completely stock brake fluid and pads) I would get some brake fade after about 10 minutes of "spirited" track driving. I attribute the fade that I was getting mostly to the brake fluid.

Hope you find this information useful!

JP4
    Last edited by JP4; March 14th, 2007 at 14:29. Reason: editorial change

Yes! Still those race cars are on slick which make more energi to be trown in to the braking systems, even them race cars are lighter.

As i always as well tel the most is to put in higer tolerant brake fluid in the system, as well use more heat resistent pads. Kind of chose pads for driving(or braking) style.

I have never felt pad fade in my life, its mostly the fluid that fade. Totaly diiffrent symtoms. When one have brake resistanc in the brake pedal, but the brakingpower is not deliverd under pressing the brake pedal, well then its pad fade.

Whats more know to most peopel is the symtoms of fluid fade, yes most know or feelt it, brakepedal to the flor. Well release and brake again as well repeat once more, well the pressure is getting back. Still once we boil fluid, well its original boiling point is getting lower that factory say it is. So every time one fade fluid, it must change to new. I know of car mag reporter that over days they many times fade same fluid in one car, diffrent smuck drivers, and still they have the brainer to blame the brakes? Gee guess what boiling point a havy 6 times boild fluid got Pretty much lower than when new.

And by all means, if driving a lump hevy porker like RS6, well i never drove one meter whitout the highest heat tolerant fluid on the market. Well anyway Motul RBF600 is ok, as well Castrol SRF. As well put propper pads on that take heat, stock dont.

We would not had all talk about braking issu whit cars, if most did understand that to a very, very high extent what make the brakes deliver is fluid and pad and tiers.(yes slicks and r-compound put higher stress to braking system)

And yes, why not put on extra coolin to the brakes, still i never was in nead of it.
    But to say the least, whit extra cooling to the brakes like int this thread, well one save pads fore sure by suipplying more air The pads do last longer other than that, why not. Last RS6 is not a track car i know after massive tracking whit it, it will ruin the economy of the most. 3000km i got out of my all new Pirelli P zero Rosso tiers I have lost count of pads and rotors i gone thry in thaty porker, still fun.
    "Learning by doing"

"It's racing, bullfighting and mountain climbing - the rest is just games"
    ..Hemingway..

Hey JP4, what is the bad news ($) on those beautiful disc? Would your source be able to replicate them easly?

Quote Originally Posted by 7:53 RS6 View Post
    Yes! Still those race cars are on slick which make more energi to be trown in to the braking systems, even them race cars are lighter.

As i always as well tel the most is to put in higer tolerant brake fluid in the system, as well use more heat resistent pads. Kind of chose pads for driving(or braking) style.

I have never felt pad fade in my life, its mostly the fluid that fade. Totaly diiffrent symtoms. When one have brake resistanc in the brake pedal, but the brakingpower is not deliverd under pressing the brake pedal, well then its pad fade.

Whats more know to most peopel is the symtoms of fluid fade, yes most know or feelt it, brakepedal to the flor. Well release and brake again as well repeat once more, well the pressure is getting back. Still once we boil fluid, well its original boiling point is getting lower that factory say it is. So every time one fade fluid, it must change to new. I know of car mag reporter that over days they many times fade same fluid in one car, diffrent smuck drivers, and still they have the brainer to blame the brakes? Gee guess what boiling point a havy 6 times boild fluid got Pretty much lower than when new.

And by all means, if driving a lump hevy porker like RS6, well i never drove one meter whitout the highest heat tolerant fluid on the market. Well anyway Motul RBF600 is ok, as well Castrol SRF. As well put propper pads on that take heat, stock dont.

We would not had all talk about braking issu whit cars, if most did understand that to a very, very high extent what make the brakes deliver is fluid and pad and tiers.(yes slicks and r-compound put higher stress to braking system)

And yes, why not put on extra coolin to the brakes, still i never was in nead of it.
    But to say the least, whit extra cooling to the brakes like int this thread, well one save pads fore sure by suipplying more air The pads do last longer other than that, why not. Last RS6 is not a track car i know after massive tracking whit it, it will ruin the economy of the most. 3000km i got out of my all new Pirelli P zero Rosso tiers I have lost count of pads and rotors i gone thry in thaty porker, still fun.
    RS6....we agree fundamentally on all points that you have made here.

A few points:

The Champion Motorsports RS6's that competed in the Speed GT series were running Toyo RA1's not racing slicks. As you may know it's a DOT R compound tire that all cars in the series were required to use. I've used them on my RS6 for the track but prefer the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup.

You are exactly correct about the difference between brake pad fade and fluid issues. I use Motul RBF 600 and as I mentioned before have not had any more fade issues.

The pads I use for track duty are Pagid's front and rear. RS15's up front and RS19's in the rear. They work quite well and are made to fit the RS6 calipers.

I've also had the OEM front rotors cyrogenically treated in an effort to make them last longer under track conditions. It is helpful and helps them last almost twice as long as front OEM rotors that are not treated. There is however the cost/benefit part of the equation. For OEM rotors it's worth the expensive to have them cryo'd IMHO but when the price of the rotor comes down significantly the cost/benefit of the cryo treatment becomes less significant. I do not have the aftermarket front rotors treated as it's more economical to just replace the friction rings when the time comes. IMO

Your point about the RS6 not being a track car obviously comes from personal experience and I agree with you. However running the RS6 on the track does give us a chance to stretch the legs on our "beasts" in a relatively safe and legal environment. In a country with speed limits in the 95-115 km/h range , it certainly gives us a nice alternative to enjoy a fabulous vehicle.

I've enjoyed this exchange of info and hope others can gain something from it too.

Cheers!

JP4
    Last edited by JP4; March 14th, 2007 at 22:39. Reason: editorial