Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4.2 litre V8 FSI Biturbo.

4.2 litre V8 FSI Biturbo.

It start to look like more and more that the new RS6 will have a Bi-turbo V8 FSI engine instead of a V10 atmo engine.
    This is what i always have said in the first place.
    Time will tell.

Hans.

Perhaps the cooling problems with the V10 engine couldn't be solved? Can't wait 'til it's coming!
    [SIZE=1][URL="http://www.installit.net/images/Audi/Audi.jpg"]'95 Audi 80E 2,0 16v ACE quattro Sport Avant SOLD[/URL]

[COLOR=DarkSlateGray]"Some say, that he appears on high-value stamps in Sweden, and that he was raised by wolves. All we know, is that he is called [B][URL=http://www.answers.com/topic/the-stig]The Stig[/URL][/B]."[/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]Jeremy Clarkson[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Snook View Post
    Perhaps the cooling problems with the V10 engine couldn't be solved? Can't wait 'til it's coming!
    No the problem is the V10's overhang over the front axle.
    Audi want to give RS6 a razorsharp RS4 style steer and conering performance.
    And with the V10 it's not possible to get that.

Hans.

to address this issue, the new a5/s5 (announcement in March) will change the awd architecture from the current one (shared with subaru) with the engine ahead of the axle-line to one with a transfer case a la q7 (apparently).
    dave
    '03 rs6
    '04 allroad tdi

Isn't it supposed to have a bi turbo V10?

580 hp and 550+ lb-ft of torque from the bi turbo V8 (4.2) will be hard to produce.

Quote Originally Posted by chewym View Post
    Isn't it supposed to have a bi turbo V10?

580 hp and 550+ lb-ft of torque from the bi turbo V8 (4.2) will be hard to produce.
    but Sportec has a 600 hp RS6! so it is possible. but question is how tough is this engine!
    - We built up a world of wonder, we built it stone by stone! It will remain forever ever if we are gone! -

of course time will tell but I really doubt Audi will put a V8 even biturbo in the RS6 (no matter how good it is). The S6 is now V10 and the RS4 is V8 so the upper scale should be preserved.

only my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by Fab View Post
    of course time will tell but I really doubt Audi will put a V8 even biturbo in the RS6 (no matter how good it is). The S6 is now V10 and the RS4 is V8 so the upper scale should be preserved.

only my 2 cents
    A high torque, high HP twin turbo V8 with better weight balance (shorter engine, so less front axle overhang) would smoke a high powered, even more front heavy V10. It would also differentiate the new RS6 further from the S6, which is already a fine car but pretty civilized despite all that power, and would be a logical extension to the Ur-RS6. And imagine the interesting body work/venting that might accomodate the heat shedding the turbos will require. Audi is more willing than before to drop the "stealth" factor.

I know that Audi is trending away from turbos toward higher HP N/A motors in their top cars (RS4, S6, S8, R8), but I wouldn't rule out the turbo V8 for the new RS6. That was my prediction ages ago, and absent inside information I'm sticking to it for now. It's a far easier way to get the performance Audi will want for its flagship sedan than is tweaking the 5.2 V10.

IMHO
    SoCal

Current: S6 (2007), A3 2.0T (2008), RX-7 (1995)

Previous Audi: RS6 (2003)

Dynamic wise of course the V8 would allow better features but marketing wise the new RS6 with "same" engine than the previous version doesn't sounds very attractive.

Not all the buyers are so well informed than we are in terms of engine evolution from a V8 to the next generation V8 and might be seen as a disapointment from those potential old RS6 owne/potential buyers.

And also Audi must show that they can release a top performance car with 10-12 cylinders like Benz and BM.

I bet a full fuel charge that the RS6 will come with a V10 (turbo or not).
    I cant see Audi going backwards to use a V8....they had enough time to fix all the problems on the V10 and (as far as i can tell) the S6 behaves nice. However i have no idea what'll happen when biturbo'ed. We'll see.....its only a bit more than a month to geneva......

If this is true, you made my day!

I'd love to see a biturbo V8 in the new RS6. So much cooler than any V10 in my opinion...! But I don't think that will be the outcome... I'll think we will see an V10, with or without turbos.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruergard View Post
    So much cooler than any V10 in my opinion...!
    Apprently you havent heard the sound of the S6 V10 real-life

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal View Post
    And imagine the interesting body work/venting that might accomodate the heat shedding the turbos will require.

Hans.

Both Iceman and myself have stated that a V8 Bi-Turbo was the logical answer on how to keep the RS6 handling in check and the match if not better than the current RS4. Why is it so impossible for Audi to make the RS4 engine produce an extra 130+hp with 2 turbos, the S3 kicks out 133hp per litre and when you do the maths for the differing engine size that is 555hp. Now who here would reckon the S3 engine is stressed.

Also we are all in agreement that least weight will aid not only handling but stopping, acceleration and economy, I have said that there was many engines tested in the development of the RS6 and until the final production machine rolls off the production line we will never know for sure what Audi has blessed the RS6 with.
    Search and you will find the truth.

fwiw, the current v10 weights the same as the ttv8 (230kg). the turbos and cooling add 30 kgs to the weight of the ttv8, so expect an additional 30kgs for a ttv10. not a lot. the challenge won't be weight, it will be heat.
    dave
    '03 rs6
    '04 allroad tdi

It would be strange that the S6 have V10 but not the comming RS6.. ..

S4 B7 V8 4,2 - RS4 B7 V8 4,2
    S4 B5 V6 TT - RS4 B5 V6 TT
    S6 V8 4,2 - RS6 V8 4,2 TT

So..
    New S6 V10 - New RS6 V10 or w/TT ??

???????????????

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    Both Iceman and myself have stated that a V8 Bi-Turbo was the logical answer on how to keep the RS6 handling in check and the match if not better than the current RS4. Why is it so impossible for Audi to make the RS4 engine produce an extra 130+hp with 2 turbos, the S3 kicks out 133hp per litre and when you do the maths for the differing engine size that is 555hp. Now who here would reckon the S3 engine is stressed.

Also we are all in agreement that least weight will aid not only handling but stopping, acceleration and economy, I have said that there was many engines tested in the development of the RS6 and until the final production machine rolls off the production line we will never know for sure what Audi has blessed the RS6 with.
    qisha- where are you???????????????????
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Quote Originally Posted by alex_s3 View Post
    It would be strange that the S6 have V10 but not the comming RS6.. ..
    Why the A8 have a 450 hp 6.0 litre W12 engine and the S8 have a 450 hp 5.2 V10 FSI engine.
    It would be more logical if Audi had given the S8 the 560 hp 6.0 W12 Bi-turbo of the Bentley continental GT IMHO, but no they put in a engine with two cylinders less and the same hp.
    The oposit go's for a sporty TT there is a 250 hp 3.2 VR6 and there is coming 300+ hp 3.6 VR6 but every one wants a high performance 2.0T in it and not the 3.6.

Hans.