Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My next brake discs and pads: What is your choice?

7:53 RS6 ,

I try to do it these days, braking hard for a short time instead of braking slowly for a long time. Also when I come off the highway and I'm in front of trafficlights, I usually put the gear in Neutral to prevent the need for brakes.

Is there any specific brand of pads etc you can recommend?

@ skiwi : No the car is not under warranty anymore and I don't even feel like going through the trouble of making the dealer pay because in the end it'll cost me more with regards to cardiac medicins and treatments

I'm very much in doubt now...should I buy again the stock rotors and just buy different pads as 7:53 RS6 recommends (costs for stock rotors and pads?) or should I still go Mov'it...

Get out and drive

Quote Originally Posted by LU-RS6 View Post
    7:53 RS6 ,

I try to do it these days, braking hard for a short time instead of braking slowly for a long time. Also when I come off the highway and I'm in front of trafficlights, I usually put the gear in Neutral to prevent the need for brakes.

Is there any specific brand of pads etc you can recommend?

@ skiwi : No the car is not under warranty anymore and I don't even feel like going through the trouble of making the dealer pay because in the end it'll cost me more with regards to cardiac medicins and treatments

I'm very much in doubt now...should I buy again the stock rotors and just buy different pads as 7:53 RS6 recommends (costs for stock rotors and pads?) or should I still go Mov'it...

Well it would not be neaded to do that all time, rather just to do if you you are on red hot rotors. Personally im only braking 2 times at at the bhan if im all on full speed and nead to panik brake from these speeds
    If you got the dollars, why not Movit, its not like they are bad in anyway, and they look very nice, but then again they are not so much better in anyway than stock whit propper bads, that would be if you dont got the dollars, easy pick then.
    I drove whit the black pagid or grey, those are very god for hevy cars, as well they have the highest heat tolerans. Dont wory about the rotor wear whit these pads, its very much exaggerated.

RS 14 Black
    Medium high friction racing compound with high initial bite, excellent release characteristic, very good modulation (controllability) and due to the high ceramic content low heat conductivity. RS14 has a low wear rate and is fade resistant up to a temperature of 650°C (1,200°F). Applications: Touring cars, Rally cars (tarmac), GT cars, WSC, DP, single-seaters, NASCAR .

RS 15 Grey
    High friction racing compound with high content of ceramic materials, fade resistance up to 700ºC (1,300ºF). It combines a 20% higher friction value than the RS14 with a slightly increased pad wear. Although the RS15 has a good controllability and release characteristic it needs finesse to avoid over braking the car, especially with lightweight cars or cars with boosted brakes. Applications: Touring cars, Rally cars (tarmac), GT cars, WSC, high down-force single-seaters, NASCAR.
    "Learning by doing"

"It's racing, bullfighting and mountain climbing - the rest is just games"
    ..Hemingway..

Quote Originally Posted by 7:53 RS6 View Post
    Well it would not be neaded to do that all time, rather just to do if you you are on red hot rotors. Personally im only braking 2 times at at the bhan if im all on full speed and nead to panik brake from these speeds
    If you got the dollars, why not Movit, its not like they are bad in anyway, and they look very nice, but then again they are not so much better in anyway than stock whit propper bads, that would be if you dont got the dollars, easy pick then.
    I drove whit the black pagid or grey, those are very god for hevy cars, as well they have the highest heat tolerans. Dont wory about the rotor wear whit these pads, its very much exaggerated.

RS 14 Black
    Medium high friction racing compound with high initial bite, excellent release characteristic, very good modulation (controllability) and due to the high ceramic content low heat conductivity. RS14 has a low wear rate and is fade resistant up to a temperature of 650°C (1,200°F). Applications: Touring cars, Rally cars (tarmac), GT cars, WSC, DP, single-seaters, NASCAR .

RS 15 Grey
    High friction racing compound with high content of ceramic materials, fade resistance up to 700ºC (1,300ºF). It combines a 20% higher friction value than the RS14 with a slightly increased pad wear. Although the RS15 has a good controllability and release characteristic it needs finesse to avoid over braking the car, especially with lightweight cars or cars with boosted brakes. Applications: Touring cars, Rally cars (tarmac), GT cars, WSC, high down-force single-seaters, NASCAR.
    Ohh, and dont worry, the roumor that pads like this have almost no initial bite when cold is totaly exaggerated and wrong. They bite super initaly even cold.
    "Learning by doing"

..Hemingway..

Ohh, and dont worry, the roumor that pads like this have almost no initial bite when cold is totaly exaggerated and wrong. They bite super initaly even cold.

Ok thanks for your info. Glad we came to a good agreement after a hard discussion :king:. I will keep you posted about my choice.

Best regards
    LU-RS6
    Get out and drive

Any ID where they can be purchased in Europe?

Thx
    LU-RS6
    Get out and drive

If you got the dollars, why not Movit, its not like they are bad in anyway, and they look very nice, but then again they are not so much better in anyway than stock whit propper bads
    I'll second that. Jimmy here tracks his Beast on a regular basis and yet has no issues with brakes. His key: Pagid pads...

Ben
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

gents, tracking and driving and autobahn are two very different things, I suggest you read once again Robin 's (Nordes..) write up. Good track brakes may not necessarily survive agressive driving on unrestricted road with general Joe/Hans/Fritz public without rear view mirros .....
    rs6+/mtm/movit
    q7 4.2 tdi mtm
    CAT D3
    RAM3500 D Cummins 6.7 Diesel

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ObamaCare: Medicine with IRS compassion and DMV urgency.

"A politician will never provide a service for you cheaper than you can do it yourself...."

If the liberals love communism so much, why don't they move to China?

Heat is the enemy

Quote Originally Posted by gjg View Post
    gents, tracking and driving and autobahn are two very different things, I suggest you read once again Robin 's (Nordes..) write up. Good track brakes may not necessarily survive agressive driving on unrestricted road with general Joe/Hans/Fritz public without rear view mirros .....
    Hmmm, I guess you're saying drive within the capabilities of your brakes. I agree!
    Get high temp pads, get high temp fluid, try to get more air to the center of the rotor (Phaeton ducts help).
    When idiots pull out in front of you on the Autobahn and you have to abuse the brakes, go slower for a couple minutes so your rotors/pads/fluid can cool, then crank it up.
    Even with my mods, I can abuse the brakes and overheat the system. But why? There are no medals to win.
    We are testing a replacement 2-piece rotor that's built similar to Brembo, Movit or Alcon. Big cooling vanes and less metal to build up excessive heat.
    Too bad the big name brake companies won't make a replacement rotor!! They want to sell you a "System" replacement for Big $'s. We'll keep you posted on our results.

Regards, Jimmy S.

you gotta smile. i was talking with a colleague about his experience at his local car club where he instructs. he related a story of an m3-owner who spent $6k usd on a brake upgrade and gained a second in lap time at the local track. and another m3 owner who was 3 seconds faster than this, with a standard setup, because he had better technique and lines.
    dave
    '03 rs6
    '04 allroad tdi

Not like i have not driven the bhan. Other friktion material compound in stock brakes do make a diffrens. It even make a diffrens in feel to brake a pad like that. Things like steellines sure why not, but you hardly feel any diffrens of them alone to make an exampel. But to brake a soft pad vs a hard pad, its a slightly other feel. As well the more heat resistent pad like it alot better on the bhan vs stock.
    Still gjg as i remember i you did not even try out propped pads and fluid on you car befor the upprade? Sure i can admit a bigger rotor can take care of heat better, but even so can pads do as well fluid.

I will repeat my sentens about new RS4. Movit is at present delivering a setup for new RS4, if you gather your thinking a while, do you gjg think new RS4 nead other brakes than it got? What ever street or track. Think about that new RS4 just left production line, and belive me their testdriver as well brembo know the autobhan as well. And all are free to use other pads if ont think one is hard on the brakes. After market is big bussines, we must know this by now. As well kind os nice to have a car like yours or Nenes, that differ from the others. And im pretty sure the brakes on your car are not worse than stock, still they might not bee all that 7000euro better if you know what i mean. Still i see my self whit APs on my CSL, but not as a reason stock are bad. Same whit Movit, i would buy these rotors to get a nice look on my car, i would not buy them due to i nead them so despratly. Its like on get the impression that stock RS6 brakes are dangerus on the bahn, well to be frank thats very much not the case.

As some do the debate, it sounds if Quattro GmBh did put somthing they found on the street to make it stopp the RS6 at speeads, its not like this. Thats more likely aftermarket peopel tuning their cars. There has be extencing testing before Audi put the brakes they did on RS6/4, its not that Quattro enginers dident know RS6 is a lot of pork, pretty hevy. I guess they come to think of this while developing the car, if not before
    Movit have never done the same amount of testing car togheter whit brakes as Quattro did while developing RS6, im pretty sure of this. As im pretty sure Powerflex never even developed a bushing while driven the same bushing in rear traling arm of CSL or front bushing. Powerflex is not up to the pressure a CSL deliver on R-compound, and one could lose life to be frank driven Powerflex aftermarket shit in CSL, they go in smal bits, get totaly destroyed! Happend to me, got penty of pics.
    Stock dont do this, BMW developed its stock bushing togheter whit CSL, big diffrence. Still its a big sale this Powerflex shit.
    Sure Movit do work and are fine i dont mean anything else here.
    But this was just one bad exampel of aftermarket not developed whit the car, still selling to the mass.
    "Learning by doing"

..Hemingway..

I can't speak for new rs4 setup. For other aftermarket I used Pagid pads on S6 quite (about 230k km) a bit and worked fine although in 240+ speeds ....

on rs6 - fluid yes, different pads on stock brakes no. Fading brakes at 250 on stock setup - sure as hell, and it is scary. Red hot rotors on front - yep ... Good performance off autobahn - yes.

Cost stock rotors/pads compared to Movit? not too much difference. So, at the end of the life of stock rotors I changed factory brakes to Movits (on 2 rs6 avants btw) and I am happy with the performance - works fine where I drive and how I drive.

Track is different from road - you keep the brakes warmed up on track, on highway you can do panic stop from 280 to 30 with cold(er) brakes ....

As far as I know there was bit of testing on movits and I'm not sure about your statement that movit is like some other companies producing aftermarket stuff for better looks instead of performance - without testing. That's almost like some tuners selling software for rs cars without even seeing one ....

rs6+/mtm/movit
    q7 4.2 tdi mtm
    CAT D3

"A politician will never provide a service for you cheaper than you can do it yourself...."

I can't speak for new rs4 setup. For other aftermarket I used Pagid pads on S6 quite (about 230k km) a bit and worked fine although in 240+ speeds ....

on rs6 - fluid yes, different pads on stock brakes no. Fading brakes at 250 on stock setup - sure as hell, and it is scary. Red hot rotors on front - yep ... Good performance off autobahn - yes.

Cost stock rotors/pads compared to Movit? not too much difference. So, at the end of the life of stock rotors I changed factory brakes to Movits (on 2 rs6 avants btw) and I am happy with the performance - works fine where I drive and how I drive.

Track is different from road - you keep the brakes warmed up on track, on highway you can do panic stop from 280 to 30 with cold(er) brakes ....

As far as I know there was bit of testing on movits and I'm not sure about your statement that movit is like some other companies producing aftermarket stuff for better looks instead of performance - without testing. That's almost like some tuners selling software for rs cars without even seeing one ....

Red hot rotors is normal
    "Learning by doing"

..Hemingway..

I know ...

rs6+/mtm/movit
    q7 4.2 tdi mtm
    CAT D3

Great discussion!

When it's time for me to replace the brakes on my RS6, I'll be getting higher temp fluid, better pads, and maybe some cooling prior to spending serious money for an aftermarket brake "upgrade". I didn't need this thread to tell me that, as my experience with Porsche and Audi brakes has led me to that conclusion.

I like the points 7:53 makes, and I generally feel the same way. Why spend thousands for aftermarket brakes when the factory engineered brakes are more than adequate if used properly (pads, fluid, braking technique)

Now, if I increase the output of the engine sometime down the road via ECU and/or turbo upgrade, and find that the upgraded pads, fluid, and cooling is no longer adequate to prevent brake fade, at that point I would consider an aftermarket brake kit like Movit or Stasis/Alcon, but no sooner.

Jason

Originally Posted by Avus-RS6

increase the output of the engine sometime down the road via ECU and/or turbo upgrade, and find that the upgraded pads, fluid, and cooling is no longer adequate to prevent brake fade, at that point I would consider an aftermarket brake kit like Movit or Stasis/Alcon, but no sooner.
    that's the point - stock brakes do not perform that well at high speed (240+ km/h) repeated use. With MTM setup it gets even worse.

second issue - the price difference (US pricing) is not that much, gents and the results are well worth the effort.

If you drive 65 (mph), don't waste your time or money. Unless you live inm Montana ......

rs6+/mtm/movit
    q7 4.2 tdi mtm
    CAT D3

Quote Originally Posted by LU-RS6 View Post
    Any ID where they can be purchased in Europe?

Thx
    LU-RS6
    From many places, see www.pagid.com

Anyway, here is a old film from my rs6 on red hot rotors. I kind of are resposibel for this to happen, and its not relly the brakes fault. Im on r-compund and do use the brakes more than neaded. Race pads was on order but dident show up, due to the car was pretty new, and it was harder to get the pads then, now instant deliver of course.
    Sure a few yers back i was more in to i did not, but one get prespectiv over years. Still i was on stock pads, and that together whit r-compund and a hevy brake foot as well hevy car, well its a no, no . As well the load index of these tiers was on the edge, well we know that, but drove anyway, as well at times we was four grown up in the car, thats like 2400kg going around on curbs and all. Well one get older, i would not drive this load index again, but the rest i would, as well to go faster around whit less brake, still loads of fun at the time .

R-compound are due to the enhanced braking grip throwing in loads of more energy in to rotors than street tiers do, so its preferd to inded have racepads then, as well it takes more from the driver in terms one must not overbrake, i learn every day. Learning by doing. One use the enhaced grip from slicks or r-compound to ones favor not the othe way around., that mean one nead to brake less as one got more grip, well i learn. As well use the grip in corners and not brake so much, in CSL its a joy.

http://video.google.nl/videoplay?doc...12050929574608
    "Learning by doing"

..Hemingway..

fabulous video. great driving, and might i say, a great testimonial for the stock brake setup....
    dave
    '03 rs6
    '04 allroad tdi

That is still such an awesome vid, I can keep looking at it over and over again
    Get out and drive