Thread: R8 competition heats up.

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Cale24 View Post
    I assume you are referring to the rolling start video's posted on the M5board? Granted, once both cars are rolling, in a straight line the Gallardo pulled barely a car length on the M5. This may have to do with 4-wheel drive bogging the car down a bit, but nevermind that. Off the top of my head, an EVO magazine comparison pitted the 'unstoppable' E60 M5 against a Gallardo (non-SE) sometime last year, and the speed and dynamic superiority of the Lambo became starkly clear. The M5 was fighting its weight, but the in-depth feature revealed the Gallardo to be miles faster, and easier to drive at speed along winding roads. Only in the most ideal conditions (M5board being IT) will that sedan come remotely close. In a recent Top Gear shoot-out between the F430 and Gallardo spiders, the lambo won, and was reportedly the quicker of the two across varying conditions. In some motoring video clips on my computer, I've seen the F430 outpaced aswell. I like Ferraris' too, but their power-to-weight ratios have never translated into expected pace (look at an F355 for example). I don't know why.

And by the way, the RS4 is faster than an M5 at Hockenheim, Nurburgring, Top Gear track and EVO handling circuit. Don't believe the hype mate.
    Cale I agree with you on a number of points. Sticky I also agree with you on a number of points.

Sticky, what i do not agree with you on are the distances you place between cars. For instance, "The SE can't catch the F430" and "it has enough trouble keeping up with BMW's sedan." This information does not hold truth in my book because I have seen, heard, read about numerous occasions where (in this case) the Gallardo "wins" against either the M5 or the F430 on a performance standpoint. It dosen't matter how bloated the Gallardo is, all aspects of a car's engineering that come into play here. Just look at what the "fat ass" RS4 is doing against other cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Damienr8 View Post
    Cale I agree with you on a number of points. Sticky I also agree with you on a number of points.

Sticky, what i do not agree with you on are the distances you place between cars. For instance, "The SE can't catch the F430" and "it has enough trouble keeping up with BMW's sedan." This information does not hold truth in my book because I have seen, heard, read about numerous occasions where (in this case) the Gallardo "wins" against either the M5 or the F430 on a performance standpoint. It dosen't matter how bloated the Gallardo is, all aspects of a car's engineering that come into play here. Just look at what the "fat ass" RS4 is doing against other cars.
    The gallardo is only bloated in comparison to the F430. It isn't a pig, but what isn't heavy in comparison to an F430 or Z06?

I have heard stories from both sides buy I base my opinion on this: My friend's M5 consistently beating my buddies 04 gallardo (yes, it is not the SE.) A report of an SE owner geating beat by an M5, selling his SE and getting a manual M5. The dyno numbers, where the gallardo can't crack 400 wheel and the M5's putting out a good deal more at 420-440 whp depending on the dyno. Either way, the M5 v10 is more impressive and is obviously getting more power to the ground as it is much heavier and the gallardo can't beat the car, straight line of course.