Thread: R8 competition heats up.

Hybrid View

Simply put, I reckon the R8 will lie between a Carrera S and a Gallardo in pace.

Quote Originally Posted by Cale24 View Post
    Simply put, I reckon the R8 will lie between a Carrera S and a Gallardo in pace.
    if memory serves me well......averaging out the 0-60 times the RS4 has tested in various mags leaves me with about 4.5 seconds. with quarter miles in the mid to upper 12s.

weighing about 500 lbs less and with a weight distribution more friendly to traction and acceleration times, i would suspect that the manual transmissioned variant should average at least 0.2-0.3 seconds quicker to 60. and low to mid 12s in the quarter mile.
    Past- A4, TT, S4

Present- R8 V10

Last one from me on the 'off-topic' with-in this topic! I promise....

I'm sorry, im sorry, but i just don't understand where this CLEAR Advantage reasoning the F430 has over the Gallardo comes from. Sticky, you keep using the term 'bloated'...in what context? Forgive me if i'm wrong, but doesn't the F430 have a kerb weight of 1450Kg and the Gallardo 1470Kg (ish)? Considering it has 2 more cylinders and 4WD...this is not bad at all. Yes the F430 does 'feel' lighter on its feet, but also much much less assured with its nervous rear end. Around a track the F430 has not been proved to be that much faster, and on everyday roads and day-to-day driving the Gallardo trumps it. It suffers minimnal understeer and is planted in all conditions. The only complaint coming from testers seems to be initial brake pedal feel.

As for 50/50 weight distribution...hmm. I agree Front engined RWD configuration is very good. But if 50/50 is the way forward, why does the Maser Quattroporte lap the EVO track faster than the M5 even though its Kerb weight is 1940Kg and it doesn't have the much-hyped SMG AND is down on power. ? Maybe the 46:54 distribution of the Maser is the way forward.....

The E90 M3 Vs B7 RS4 WON'T be, like you suggested, the B6 S4 Vs E46 M3 contest. The RS is completely different to the S4. The E90 M3 will be fantastic IMO. It don't really see how it can fail to be. I do however hope its V8 is like the M5 V10.....because then the V8 in the RS4 will already trump it in terms of sound...NO CONTEST. The BM V10 sounds horrid....and is no contest for the vocal delights of the Lambo V10 or the Porsche V10.

Straight line test may be the be-all in the US...but here (in the UK) when the roads get twisty and both driver ability and handling come into focus, the merits of a sure-footed, well resolved car come to the fore-front.

I'm done on this topic now.....

Taz
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    B7 Audi RS4 Avant - Phantom Black
    B6 Audi A4 3.0 Sport Quattro Convertible - Volcano Black
    B5 Audi A4 1.9 TDI SE Saloon - Hibiscus Red
    Seat Leon 1.6 SE - Bilberry Red
    Porsche 996 Carrera - Arctic Silver

Now, coming back to TOPIC!

Out of the playa's in the contest, I would go for the R8. It's the most complete package. No question.

The NSX, I hope, will be a worthy sucessor to the original. If it is it will be unbelievable. But the same problem remain...image. No matter how good the car is. I think it would sell better than the last one, maybe pinch a few of the GTR's following.

The GTR again falls into the trap. Should be great. Looks less 'Max Power'd' that the last one...but still not a classy enough design.

Both need to turn up the Interior design and quality wicks CONSIDERABLY to even hope to get near the R8.

Car nuts will love the NSX and GTR, but which car would you rather pull up outside a swanky restaurant in?

Taz
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    B7 Audi RS4 Avant - Phantom Black
    B6 Audi A4 3.0 Sport Quattro Convertible - Volcano Black
    B5 Audi A4 1.9 TDI SE Saloon - Hibiscus Red
    Seat Leon 1.6 SE - Bilberry Red
    Porsche 996 Carrera - Arctic Silver

Quote Originally Posted by tazsura View Post
    Last one from me on the 'off-topic' with-in this topic! I promise....

I'm sorry, im sorry, but i just don't understand where this CLEAR Advantage reasoning the F430 has over the Gallardo comes from. Sticky, you keep using the term 'bloated'...in what context? Forgive me if i'm wrong, but doesn't the F430 have a kerb weight of 1450Kg and the Gallardo 1470Kg (ish)? Considering it has 2 more cylinders and 4WD...this is not bad at all. Yes the F430 does 'feel' lighter on its feet, but also much much less assured with its nervous rear end. Around a track the F430 has not been proved to be that much faster, and on everyday roads and day-to-day driving the Gallardo trumps it. It suffers minimnal understeer and is planted in all conditions. The only complaint coming from testers seems to be initial brake pedal feel.

As for 50/50 weight distribution...hmm. I agree Front engined RWD configuration is very good. But if 50/50 is the way forward, why does the Maser Quattroporte lap the EVO track faster than the M5 even though its Kerb weight is 1940Kg and it doesn't have the much-hyped SMG AND is down on power. ? Maybe the 46:54 distribution of the Maser is the way forward.....

The E90 M3 Vs B7 RS4 WON'T be, like you suggested, the B6 S4 Vs E46 M3 contest. The RS is completely different to the S4. The E90 M3 will be fantastic IMO. It don't really see how it can fail to be. I do however hope its V8 is like the M5 V10.....because then the V8 in the RS4 will already trump it in terms of sound...NO CONTEST. The BM V10 sounds horrid....and is no contest for the vocal delights of the Lambo V10 or the Porsche V10.

Straight line test may be the be-all in the US...but here (in the UK) when the roads get twisty and both driver ability and handling come into focus, the merits of a sure-footed, well resolved car come to the fore-front.

I'm done on this topic now.....

Taz
    I don't know what weight measurement they use for the euro weight, curb, with driver, or dry. The weight I go by is what they measure in the states putting the gallardo at 3500 vs. the F430's 3200. The gallardo isn't "bloated" unless it is compared to the F430. Cars are getting so heavy that 3500 doesn't look that bad, it is about what the 997 turbo weighs in at. However, porsche has lighter options.

The sound is in the RS4's court, but we need to wait and see what crank BMW went for in the M3 V8 which will have great affect on the sound. Who knows how it will sound, but the RS4 does sound great.

The straight line isn't everything it is just the easiest aspect to compare. I am sure the R8 will be spectacular in the turns and with feedback as if it feels anything like the gallardo then it will be a winner. The issue is if it is outgunned in power at that 100k mark.