Thread: Need info on old S8 00/01 mod

Mech Need info on old S8 00/01 mod

Hello everybody!

I'm new to the forum and have some questions regarding the prev. s8

I am currentliy considering buying the prev s8 01 mod. I love the new one, but since the prices in Noway are VERY high, sadly I can't affoard one

So, have any of you read any tests regarding the prev. s8? I've searched the net, but did not find any.. I have heard that it got quite good critics when it first came out. Any personal experiences? And what are the main differences between the 97/98/99 mods vs. the 00/01? Besides the 340 to 360 hp upgrade and some interior/exterior mods... Has this car got any serious faults that one should be aware of?

And final question: 0-100 (0-60) times. I've heard that the 01 mod does 0-100 kmh in 5.5 with manual, but what are the times with auto?

Alot of questions here, but since alot of you on this forum are very skilled, I hope to get atleast some answers

Gegards, Mr. J

S8

Ive never owned one by i have a v8 4.2 audi and i am extremely happy with it. Also with simple upgrades such as a Cold Air Intake, Exhaust, and Giac Chip you can have nearly 400 HP. Good Luck finding a car.

A friends friend has owned two and he loved them. Both were auto and 00. He measured 0-100 5,6 and 5,9. I think one was chipped and the other was not in the best shape. The quality is great. I would definitaly get the facelift model. The quality is better, it's more powerful and you get more equipment. Unfortunately I don't even have the money for that. The sound is just great. I have heard not one complain from owners. You can't go wrong! I really want to own one.

Thanks for response.. I went to my dealer the other day and tried it out.. Very impressed, and the soud is just great! Smoked some guy in a BMW 530d.. didn't look too happy! Wasn't too crazy about the colour, silver metallic, should be black, but there are not too many of these for sale in Norway!

So, no one with any bad experiences out there? I want to be shure the car is good, because it is alot to spend 70.000$ on a used car!

Great car, very good...

Go for late '99 -> it's facelift, and 5 speed Tiptronic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. J View Post
    I want to be shure the car is good, because it is alot to spend 70.000$ on a used car!
    That much??
    They cost about 25 000$ here.

Yes as crazy as it sounds, it is about 500.000 NOK witch is about 70.000$ The new S8 is about 350.000$.... :trash: and the government has just decided that the new S8 will be about 20.000$ more due to new tax regulations.. go Norway! seriously, cars over here are so expensive it makes me just so I really have to empty my pockets to get an old one...

Mr. J,

Try sending "Bauer" a PM. He has owned one since new and loves it (but will be trading it in for a new S8). He has nothing but good things to say about it.

If he doesn't get to your PM, try finding him on AudiWorld. He spends a lot of time in the B5 S4 forum.

Also, try "The Brit". Although it's been a LOOOOOONG time since I've seen him here, he's also on AudiWorld and could answer any questions regarding the MkI S8.

Ben
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

Bajo, also, had one..

He is known here as, BBGT2, he can tell you thing or two, but there isn't much to tell, its FANTASTIC car.

I personaly saw many of them being ''trashed'' every day and what ever you do to it, YOU JUST CAN'T DESTROY IT !

Have one for sale in sweden, year 2000, ebonyblack metallic, 360hp, automatic gearbox. All equipment inc. navi plus, sold in sweden, no german import.. just had the big service and recond. 8700 svenska mil. All equipment. Perfect condition, never involved in a crash or anything, completly original, enthusiasts car.
    yours for 235'000 skr.

Nice car, indeed...

Quote Originally Posted by AndyBG View Post
    Nice car, indeed...
    yes, very "fat" and luxery, love the maffioso/gangster-feelin it has attached to it
    Is not slow at all, whole body is made of aluminium, which the a8 4,2 is not..

Quote Originally Posted by AndyBG View Post
    Bajo, also, had one..

He is known here as, BBGT2...
    Forgot that Bajo had one...

Ben
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    whole body is made of aluminium, which the a8 4,2 is not..

How do you mean, ''NOT'', every A8/S8 is aluminium.

Quote Originally Posted by Benman View Post

Forgot that Bajo had one...

HEY !

Don't forget Bajo, NEVER !

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Have one for sale in sweden, year 2000, ebonyblack metallic, 360hp, automatic gearbox. All equipment inc. navi plus, sold in sweden, no german import.. just had the big service and recond. 8700 svenska mil. All equipment. Perfect condition, never involved in a crash or anything, completly original, enthusiasts car.
    yours for 235'000 skr.

Thanks for all advises! Alex: Does this car have an internet advert? If it does could you post it?

Going to the bank tomorrow to see what they think of my car plans
    so, i'm crossing my fingers! REALLY want one!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. J View Post
    Thanks for all advises! Alex: Does this car have an internet advert? If it does could you post it?

Going to the bank tomorrow to see what they think of my car plans
    so, i'm crossing my fingers! REALLY want one!!
    Sure, http://www.bytbil.com/carinfo.cgi?cid=2209316

Good luck at the bank