Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick S3 spin

Quick S3 spin

I had the opportunity to try the new S3 out very quickly today, and was impressed with a lot of things. The car has a decidedly more aggressive feel to it than a regular A3, although with the S-line exterior the latter isn't too far off. Still, though, the S3 is more muscular in design and the sideskirts/rear diffusors look a lot better IRL than on pictures. That goes especially for the front air intakes too. Actually, the car was standing next to a 130i and....well...let's say that the beemer didn't look half the sports car that the S3 did.

Interior wise, the standard seats actually aren't identical to the A3's, but have better side support and feel and also a slightly different design. In my view, a much better looking seat than the vulgar bucket optional. Small interior details are somewhat subtle (coloured seems, aluminium air vent details, instrument cluster index design, etc, etc), but are still important contributions to the S3 feeling like more than just any A3. I wouldn't say it feels exclusive in any way, but it is sufficiently different from the A3 to justify some of the extra bucks.

As for driving impressions, the gear box was beautifully smooth, direct (shortest travel on an Audi so far....?), and distinct, i.e. even better than the 6MT in TT 2,0T. Steering and cornering more direct than regular A3, chassis quite well balanced for a front-heavy Audi (as far as I could make out from this short trip). And the enginge punch was phenomenal compared to the A3 3,2's and R32's I've driven. So much for "only 15 BHP difference"! And turbo lag was not as dramatic as I had come to expect from reading various test reports, far from it.

All in all, my impressions were positive and the car is in every inch more desirable than I've ever thought the old S3 to be.

As for pricing, the car is actually not that expensive here in Sweden. Only a few hundred more £ than the 130 and almost exactly the same price as R32. But comes better equipped than in particular the 130i. Inclusive of all optionals one would normally want, the beemer is suddenly decidedly more expensive. Thus, the choice is eeeeeeeeeeeeasy. As if it wasn't already from the start...

Great to hear that it everything we want it to be. The statement about the gearbox, is this not the £150 short-shift option that is offered on the TT?

When you see the acceleration times quoted by Sport Auto for an A3 3.2Quattro, then this new S3 will be a force to be reckoned with in the hot-hatch sector.

A3:
    Test in sport auto 02/2004
    Gewicht 1602 kg
    0 - 80 km/h 4,2 s
    0 - 100 km/h 6,0 s
    0 - 120 km/h 8,4 s
    0 - 130 km/h - s
    0 - 140 km/h 11,1 s
    0 - 160 km/h 14,6 s
    0 - 180 km/h 19,7 s
    0 - 200 km/h - s

Is it possible we will see a sub 14secs time to 100mph (160km/h). The quickest hatchback............until the 135i come out.
    Search and you will find the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    Great to hear that it everything we want it to be. The statement about the gearbox, is this not the £150 short-shift option that is offered on the TT?

When you see the acceleration times quoted by Sport Auto for an A3 3.2Quattro, then this new S3 will be a force to be reckoned with in the hot-hatch sector.

A3:
    Test in sport auto 02/2004
    Gewicht 1602 kg
    0 - 80 km/h 4,2 s
    0 - 100 km/h 6,0 s
    0 - 120 km/h 8,4 s
    0 - 130 km/h - s
    0 - 140 km/h 11,1 s
    0 - 160 km/h 14,6 s
    0 - 180 km/h 19,7 s
    0 - 200 km/h - s

Is it possible we will see a sub 14secs time to 100mph (160km/h). The quickest hatchback............until the 135i come out.
    About the gearbox, I'm not sure. But it felt better than on the TT, which after all I drove for three entire days only a fortnight ago.

In terms of the above figuers, I frankly don't think that they are representative. Most tests I have read have indicated slower times. The air must have been extra rich on oxygen that day.

And honestly, would you ever buy a 1-series chitty-chitty-banglemobile even if it came with some 320 horses....? I mean, you'd still have to close your eyes every time when walking up to it, in order to avoid nausea.... :trash:

RB

Quote Originally Posted by RacerBice View Post
    And honestly, would you ever buy a 1-series chitty-chitty-banglemobile even if it came with some 320 horses....? I mean, you'd still have to close your eyes every time when walking up to it, in order to avoid nausea.... :trash:

RB
    The best discription to date, but have you ever seen one in white with a M-Sport bodykit, it doesn't look nearly as bad.

And no, I couldn't buy one, even one with over 300 horses.

Back to the S3, does it still feel as nose heavy as a R32 and if you have drove a TT3.2, it as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot View Post
    The best discription to date, but have you ever seen one in white with a M-Sport bodykit, it doesn't look nearly as bad.

And no, I couldn't buy one, even one with over 300 horses.

Back to the S3, does it still feel as nose heavy as a R32 and if you have drove a TT3.2, it as well?
    I agree that the M-kit helps a lot, but basically that estate like rear half of the car is just too awful to live with, no matter what the disguise. And together with that never ending hood with almost no "over-hang"....? I mean, what were they thinking?!

In my impression, the S3 wasn't nose heavy at all. I rather thought it to be quite agile. Miles more so than the A4 I'm driving right now and also than the S3 (2003) I had prior to that. And in terms of chassis balance, I wouldn't compare the S3 to R32 on the same day. The latter is a beautifully relaxed highway locomotive, but I wouldn't turn its steering wheel more than necessary....

In fact, S3 chassis feel was quite similar to that of the TT 2,0T, in spite of its extra weight (almost 200 kgs....). I.e. neutral up until the limit, where it tends to understeer slightly. I wish I had had the opportunity to push it a bit harder.... Unfortunately I haven't yet had a chance to drive the 3,2 TT. :blush: so I can't compare.

RB

Sounds great RacerBice, i wonder what color it will look its best in. Im really tired of silver metallic, i think gray or black, what about you guys?

RacerBice

Where did you drive it?
    I'm actually intrested in the car and want to test it, have driven the 130i but it doesn't have the looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Auto View Post
    RacerBice

Where did you drive it?
    I'm actually intrested in the car and want to test it, have driven the 130i but it doesn't have the looks.
    There was a track-day on gotland ring with the s3, rs4 etc last weekend!

Phew, it's nice to finally hear some positive comments from someone who has actually driven the new S3.

I decided to order one a couple of months ago despite some of the negative press (just placed my final spec) and I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on it. Demonstrators won't be in the UK until next month and I'm not getting my car until January '07 so I'll be coming off the production line before I get to drive one.

James

Quote Originally Posted by James H View Post
    Phew, it's nice to finally hear some positive comments from someone who has actually driven the new S3.

I decided to order one a couple of months ago despite some of the negative press (just placed my final spec) and I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on it. Demonstrators won't be in the UK until next month and I'm not getting my car until January '07 so I'll be coming off the production line before I get to drive one.

James
    Congrats! I have decided to get one too, but wouldn't want it to arrive in mid (Swedish) winter. So I won't place my order until late november. Did you have the guts to order it in orange? I think I'll chicken out and go for mainstream silver....on the other hand, light colours definitely suit this particular car best.

Didn't have the guts to go for orange. Nearly went for white though...In the end I decided to go with the sprint blue metallic. I usually go for black cars but I agree with you that the darker colours lose the detail with some of the sportier audi models. The blue isn't too dark so I'm hoping things will look OK.

I couldn't bring myself to buy a silver one. It's a great colour on an Audi but in the UK at the moment about 1 in every 3 cars on the road is silver.

I also couldn't bring myself to pay the extra for the RS4 style bucket seats. They look nice but I think they'll make getting into the back seat a bit of a pain. I did indulge myself with the flat bottom steering wheel though ;-)

Getting it in January is pure indulgence. I probably should of waited until the spring as well but wanted to have one of the first right hand drive production run.

James

I must say that in the orange and white it looks it's best, but can't blame anyone for not having the nerve to buy it in any of these colours. They might be the colours that are hip at the minute, but what will they sell like in a couple of years time. At least with silver or the blue the resale is predictable.

From experience, bad colour/interior combinations can hurt resale by thousands, so always pick wisely. The brother had a Boxster S in Seal Grey with coco brown leather and brown hood, the car look lovely and personally the best combo in my opinion, but it cost him £3K on trade-in. So be warned.

Yeah, the blue is great too, perhaps I should give that some more thought....hmmm....

But as you saw in my first post here, I'm not that fond of the looks of the bucket seats. Moreover, as a matter of principle it is completely weird to have seats designed as if prepared for 4-point seatbelts, when in fact there aren't any. To me, that clearly signals tacky "Rieger"-like post sales styling. Makes your sort'a look also for eye-lids, upwards bent exhaust tail-pipes, and other taste-less crap.

As for resale value, that's a very good point, one which I hadn't really thought about. Now I am definitely not gonna custom order mine in turquoise pearl.

RB

Interesting point you make about resale value. I haven't really thought about it from that angle. The last new car I bought was 7 years ago and I'm hanging onto it, even though the S3 is coming along.

My dad had a bad experience with a boxter resale as well. His was white with a dark blue roof and looked really smart. The dealer said that Porche buyers could be very sensitive to colour selection, depending on what was fashionable at the time. Oh well.

RB, I agree with you about the buckets, not really working for me either with normal 3 point belts. However, it was the back seat access I was primarily concerned with. I have one (soon to be two) young kids so being able to wrestle baby seats etc into the back is a factor. The main reason I decided to go for a S3 and not a 2 seater.....I see what you mean about the 'after market' add ons. My other hobby is playing about with old minis and they can really be ruined by unsympathetic 'enhancements'. Generally, I try to leave things cosmetically as they came out of the factory.

In the end, deciding not to have the buckets or the Sat Nav (which I think is outrageous at £2200) paid for all the other cost options that I wanted.....Job done!

James

James & RB,

I wouldn't say it to anyone who has ordered their RS4's with the bucket seat, as each to their own, but as we all are in agreement about them, my own opinion is that they lower the standard of the cars down to the level of the Subarus and EVOs of this world. No roadcar that is not really meant to go racing with should be fitted with such thing, Porsche GT3 and the likes are OK, as for the rest, it's a no, no from me.

Agree, Porsches are more sensitive to colours than the likes of Audis or BMWs, but the principal is still the same. Pick a bad colour and it will still cost you on the resale. The fact that the S3 has such a distinctive bodykit will mean that dark colour other than Black will hurt resale. My advice is stick to a bright colour and you'll be alright, dare I say it Silver looks the best option.

As for interior choices, a plain colour is best. Stay clear of the two-colour options, regardless of if you like them because secondhand buyer usually don't.

James, good move with the steering wheel.

Leadfoot,

Agree with you on the silver but just couldn't do it...Too many silver cars on the roads over here at the moment. Town centre car parks are full of the blighters....I'm happy that the Sprint Blue should be light & bright enought not to compromise the body kit. Decided to stick with all black with the interior.

Wrestled with the headlining colour for a short while, much to the amusement of my wife as I swapped back and forth between cars with silver and black headlinings in the showroom. In the end I stuck with the black, not least because I've ordered a sunroof and the blind will be back most of the time.

Really looking forward to the flat bottom wheel. Especially now I've read the review of the S3 in the current issue of Audi Driver.

BTW, the delay in my reply due to sudden and unexpected arrival of previously mentioned child #2.

James

Quote Originally Posted by James H View Post
    Leadfoot,

BTW, the delay in my reply due to sudden and unexpected arrival of previously mentioned child #2.

James
    Well done, so your not going to do a James Nesbitt on us and change to a MPV, just like the advert.

Wise man picking Black interior, you can't go wrong with that. Have just ordered a Golf GTI for the wife, red with black leather. Not the colour I would have picked but a hot meal after work wasn't worth the argument, my choice would have been, you guessed it ..... silver. As I have three kids and one in a chair the S3 was not an option for her as the quattro drive takes up boot depth and needed the 5 doors, but as I am undecided about the TT and put my name down for a Coupe 335i but not a deposit as yet, the S3 might just float my boat as it's tuneable to 300+hp with ease and has the quality I like.

Not me chap.....Apart from anything else, my wife says she would leave me if the word 'MPV' was even mentioned. Our 'practical' car is a A4 avant which she loves to bits but is just a bit too big for me. Having driven minis as my main car for so many years, even the S3 is going to require some adjustments.

My sister has one of the new golfs in a 5 dr (not a GTI but a suprisingly rapid 2 litre TDI) and she really likes it. I can't quite come to terms with the new shape myself. I still think the Mk3 was the best looking, despite having put on a lot of weight ahead of the engine power upgrades that came with the Mk4.

I'm hoping the no back doors on the S3 isn't going to be much of an issue as it isn't our main car.

I have to say I am quite taken with the shape of the new beemer 3 series coupe, despite generally not being into BMW styling. What would put me off would be all that power and rear wheel drive, especially with the road conditions and weather we have here. Having the quattro was one of the attractions of going for the S3, accepting you have compromises on floor height.

Only other option was a 996 C4 but the odds of getting that past the finance committee were slim.....

James