Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sticky Clutch Problem New RS4

bobey you it has rifared the problem? you have arranged?

have had approximately the same problem creed

aby80

No the problem never ocured again.

// bobey

they have said what to you could be caused?

Actually I have had clutch issues twice now since the original problem. Both relatively recently. If it happens one more time the thing is going in for service. Last time it happened while racing a Porsche. The clutch didn't release properly between third and fourth gear :-(. The car didn't smell to nice for a while there (I'm talking about the smell from the clutch... not my pants ;-) ). Luckily I noticed the problem almost instantly and floored the clutch and rolled to the next red light. Pumped it a couple of times and all was merry... well not the smell.

Other than that I am pretty happy with the car. Only two other minor issues. One of the keys has gone completely dead (no not the battery I changed it) and the little logo in the steering wheel has fallen off. Thinking of super glueing it when I have the time. Then again the car is only a year old and has less than 12000Km on the clock so I am not expecting any major issues yet. Let's see next year by this time.

How about everyone else. Any problems so far with your RS4's?

// bobey

Bobey

There is a known problem on early delivery RS4s with the clutch vacuum assist line. This needs to be replaced. Basically the line is too week and colapses, pinching off the vacuum. One way to see if you have the problem safely is to place your transmission in neutral and depress the clutch petal twice rapidly in succession. If you have the problem, on the second press, the clutch petal will stiffen up and be almost impossible to press to the floor. But, any kind of change in clutch operation on the 2nd press is a problem. If you have this, then you should take it to the dealer and tell them that you have the clutch vaccum hose problem and that the hose needs to be replaced with the new part.

This problem was fixed in manufacturing in the August time frame last year. I took delivery of my RS4 in July of 2006 and it had the problem. After having the hose replaced, the clutch has been flawless.