Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My little finger told me the V12 TDI is currently

My little finger told me the V12 TDI is currently

running in an Audi S8 as well as an Audi Q7.

Actually, it is possible that the S8 will have two possible engines: V10 normal gazoline or V12 TDI.

Cheers from Paris,
    Frederic

WOW!! that's serious sh1t!
    RS4 (b5) B&B tuned......

RS4 > Technology to free the mind of man.

Originally posted by Bomber
    WOW!! that's serious sh1t!
    Yes it is ! ! !

Cheers from Paris,
    Frederic

What size is the V12Tdi?

And is this the engine that has been talked about for the R8?
    Search and you will find the truth.

what would be realistic availability time in Q or S - 2008?

My bet is that the RS6 will also offer the same choice of two engines.

Originally posted by tailpipe
    My bet is that the RS6 will also offer the same choice of two engines.
    Only if they can lighten the diesel engine down to the weight of the petrol. Because even in the current A6 model, the engine is forward to much and the extra weight would kill the handling unless it weight was kept in check.

I think I'm right in saying that the R10's engine is alloy, if so this technology might be used for the RS6 diesel, if it came about. Man that would be some motor, beating an M5 and coating the front of it in diesel smoke.

Leadfoot, there will be no Diesel engine for R8! I saw dealer's introduction order documents, only two engines.
    4.2L V8 DI 420hp
    5.2L V10 DI 520hp(from MY2008)

And maybe bi-turbo version of V10 later...

I put the deposit for R8 yesterday(V8) and I will have even more info next week. I already saw final exterior and interior pics and car is simply awsome, IMO.

BTW, two gearboxes-manual and sequential, NOT DSG!

Originally posted by KresoF1
    Leadfoot, there will be no Diesel engine for R8! I saw dealer's introduction order documents, only two engines.
    4.2L V8 DI 420hp
    5.2L V10 DI 520hp(from MY2008)

And maybe bi-turbo version of V10 later...

I put the deposit for R8 yesterday(V8) and I will have even more info next week. I already saw final exterior and interior pics and car is simply awsome, IMO.

BTW, two gearboxes-manual and sequential, NOT DSG!
    It would be a shame not to have a diesel especially after the victory in the Le Mans. But no DSG sounds funny when you consider that it will be in nearly all the future Audi models from the new A4/5 onwards, not withstanding the current A6, A8 & Q7.

Remember this but, a lot changes in the motorcar industry and though it not in the R8 which are ordered now, doesn't mean it won't be in it in a few months time.

I was told when I ordered my S4 (B6) that the new nose wasn't going on the S4 until Aug '06, that was in Aug '05. I got the car in Sept '05 and by Nov '05 we all knew it would be out by Jan.

Just because your dealer tell you it won't be there, tells me his protecting his sale or he have no info on it. All manufacturers keep things like this close to their chests.

Wow!

Is this a brand new engine or is it the one from R10?

Andrew

Re: My little finger told me the V12 TDI is currently

Originally posted by Mr Balsen
    running in an Audi S8 as well as an Audi Q7.

Actually, it is possible that the S8 will have two possible engines: V10 normal gazoline or V12 TDI.

Cheers from Paris,
    Frederic
    That is awesome news Frederic! A Q7 with the V12 TDI!!! Man, I could tow a home with that thing!

Ben
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

Leadfoot, I order my R8 based on official Audi R8 Dealer's guide for launch cars. There is clear statement there that new R8 will NOT be offered with DSG but, with manual and sequential gearbox. Seguential is refined version of Lambo's e.gear so, like it or not...
    There is also a good explanation why no DSG. According to this(official in German language) document DSG although awsome gearbox is more automatic in feeling and will not suit to true Sportscar as R8 clearly is!
    BTW, since R8 is based on Gallardo platform it makes a lot sense to me...

There are conflicting reports coming out about the R8 spec. For instance, no DSG accroding to some. This is disappointing. i know that in an effort to boost profits, Audi is trying to share as many components as possible with other models. I imagine therefore, that the R8 will use a significant amount of components from Lamborghini.

At some point, the R8 will be little more than a rebodied Gallardo. I hope not. But it really needs to kick-butt versus the Lexus LF-A supercar destined for launch around the same time.

The DSG is praised for its non-automatic controle. While the E-gear type systems are generally disliked by enthusiasts. Even the newest Ferrari ones (the company that makes the Ferrari F1 system also makes the Lamborghini E-gear).
    DSG is vastly superior to E-gear. But it simply isn't ready yet.

I don't think people appreciate what goes into the production process. They can't just copy-paste the DSG from the Veyron or Golf into the R8. It has to be designed, to fit not only the R8 but future longitudinal models. It's has to be build, which means machines have to be build and people have to be trained. It has to be inserted into the production process. Which means the production line has to be modified, and people have to be trained. The logistics also have to be put in place. The DSG consists of different parts that will be handled by different companies/divisions. It wouldn't surprize me if 100 companies/divisions are involved in the final product. From when its still metal flakes, to when it's installed at the assembly line.

Of the 3-5 years it takes to design a car, I estimate 90% of the effort is spend on developing the production process. Audi had their R8 working a few years ago, and since then all they've been doing is setting up a production process. Even if the longitudinal DSG is available, they can't just order a bunch of them, and expect the quattro factory to know what to do with them.

Looks how much time Porsche is taking to intergrate this technology. DSG is a colabortaion with Porsche, but they are still sticking with their automatic for now.

We'll only see the DSG on longitudinal models when enough Audi models have adopted the B8 platform. It's doesn't make sense to set up production for one model.
    It would be running at less that 10% capacity, waiting for all the other Audi models to catch up. Big losses as a result.

Clam,

You have explained basically what I was trying to say. The next A4/5 will get DSG, but if it will be there from the start who knows. The interesting thing from KresoF1 statement was that it will be using the E-gear, will this mean it will get the Lambo's 4wd system instead of quattro, where will the product sharing end.

I understand that using the platform would slow the introduction of DSG in to the mix, but to not induce it in the future will be a big mistake. Audi developed this gearbox and to say it's not good enough for a true sportscar, hell it in the fastest even sportscar and though I will never get the chance to drive it, never in any report was the statement the DSG wasn't sporty enough. It's only a software change that will stop the DSG from changing up at the redline.

I stick by what I said, just because the dealer say it will never get it, doesn't mean it won't. And that goes for a diesel version. It will all boil down to marketing and costs.

Hi !

I think that the DSG should come when Audi start the V8 + DSG setup in production for the others models (S4, RS4 first, S5, RS5).

I feel that the R8 is not the flagship technologically, but a car to have the hability to say "Yes, we have a real sport car in our line up". The RS4 and RS5 will still the better proof of the habality to build dream cars.

The second thing is that the B8 platform is the real market core : B8 is the basis of a new standard of technology for Audi, and a real economy source. They don't spend more money to develop low production volum R8 model, while they are developping the futur mass market one.

For me, the R8 is a redesigned Lambo, injecting the Audi saoul and design in a never seen model.

I expect that audi will build more powerfull versions of this car : but as it was said, it is problem for the sale of lamboghini....

Ingolstadt, today:

With the R10 TDI, Audi also demonstrates just how economical a powerful engine can be. The race winning car in Le Mans consumed a mere 40.34 litres per 100 kilometres – an extremely low figure for a racing engine producing more than 650 hp, especially as the percentage of full-throttle during a lap around Le Mans is 75 per cent. To compare: The Audi R8 with its equally economical TFSI engine used almost 5 litres more per 100 kilometres on its way to winning under similar conditions in 2002.

"With regard to consumption, environmental friendliness, the combustion process and other new technologies we expect an enormous step forward in the forthcoming years”, says Ulrich Baretzky, Head of Engine Technology at Audi Sport. "We expect to see things that we developed specifically with racing in mind appear later in production.”
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail