Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C6 RS6 to the US???

C6 RS6 to the US???

Has this been confirmed/denied? Qisha? Mr. Balsen? Dave? Anyone?

Why am I asking? This little nugget:
    http://www.hoppenmotorsport.com/Audi.RS6.C6Tuning.htm

Why have it for sale in the US if the C6 isn't coming here???

SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

nah, it's never going to come to the US, at least officially, but for those who DOT it on their own and bring it in, I guess hoppen is the place to go.

I seem to remember that Mr. Balsen eluded to that one of the issues to the C6 not coming to US was the octane levels were not high enough...
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

while that may be part of it, as spidercat alluded to in another thread, computers/ecus these days are sophisticated enough to compensate, we may not be able to get all 9 trillion HP with our crap gasoline but it's not like the cars won't drive here. Heh.

Please excuse my ignorance, I know audi doesn't import them to the US, but are these cars excluded from entering the US? As in not conforming to US safety issues, etc? If a person really wanted one, couldn't it be loaded in a container and shipped in? I'd really like to know. Curious, Jim

It needs to pass DOT certification, and that's the reason why manufacturers won't bring them over because it costs millions to get a car certified, it's a drop in the bucket for high volume vehicles, but for low volumes such as the RS6, it's not "practical." On a personal basis, I believe the tests that you'd have to pass are much less stringent, and to specifically answer the question, no, you can't just toss it in a container and ship it over because your local DMV won't allow you to register it.

For semi-related background, check out this autoblog entry on the Nissan Skyline guys.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/03/n...sible-illegal/

After all the trouble they have had with the C5 RS6 and lack of service ability here in the USA, they were not about to repeat the same headache with an even more expensive and hi tech auto like the C6..

Thanks for the education. I'm sure that US Federal regulations, IN AN ATTEMPT TO KEEP US SAFE FROM OURSELVES, makes this more difficult than it should be; because the C6-RS6 is essentially the same as the v10 C6-S6 that are already imported/certified. Other than sheet metal cosmetic changes, the engine, etc. surely aren't vastly different in general spec's are they?

And, we read in several threads BEFORE the C6 was released that there were acouple spotted/being tested in the US. We may have hope yet.
    -about the crap gas- What types of fuel are they feeding you guys? Here we only have one type of premium, 93 OCT. It does help that there's a refinery on Island though.
    2003 RS 6______________________________________________
    Mugello Blue/Silver Interior/Wood Trim/Warm Weather Package/
    LED Tail lights/RNS-E/DVD Video/OEM S5 19's/Custom Painted Calipers/Full CAT-Less, Nonresonated Milltek/APR DV's/
    H-Sport Sway Bars/5 Bar FPR/ABT Aluminum pedals/MTM TCU Chip

-------Other Rides
    2007 Cadillac Escalade
    2007 Jeep Compass
    2006 Jeep Commander
    2006 Chevy Colorado Reg Cab
    -------

Depending on where you are in the U.S., our Premium is about the same as the Euro premium. Remember we rate ours as R+M/2 and in Europe it is rated as just RON. Most Euro premium is 95 RON which is approx 91 R+M/2 and Euro Super Premium is usually 98 RON which is about 93~94 R+M/2. In Washington State we have 92 premium and I know some places have 93 and others have as low as 90.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

91 here in San Diego, Ca. I haven't seen anything higher in quite some time, not even on some of the Indian reservations or near race tracks.

I did see a 5 gl can of some sort of 105 octane race gas at my local motorcycle shop...

Hahnmgh63, are you indicating that the US octane levels are within 1-2 of the Euro octane levels? If so, that seems like a rather baseless reason not bringing the C6 here. Past warranty claims - possibly another story...

Regardless of where these cars are in the world, if they are going to have quality control issues or whatever other malfunctions, it will happen.

Like I said, the primary reason for not bringing it here was the problems that arose with maintaining the C5... until they can establish that US techs are trained well enough to repair these exotics, they dont want a repeat of what happened to us.. it cost Audi a fortune in faulty DRC repairs and bad press..

I will add to Hy Octanes comment - the other big problem is the exchange rate - at 1.45 or so to the dollar a RS6 would price out at close to 200K US. That is getting into very low volume cars that typically have very flashy exteriors - We RS6 owners are relatively rare - we are willing to spend a lot of money on our cars and like the fact that they look quite similar to other A6's and do not draw a lot of attention other than from those in the know.

I am aware of at least TWO C6 RS6s here in the US. The first was imported by Audi NA for its President. I assume it's on a Manufacturer plate, though, so it hasn't been legalized and will have to be exported eventually. The other car came from Mexico, IIRC, and was imported through AZ or NM. I think it resides in CA.

Perhaps, by now, there are others, though.

CW

this is the sucky part of living in america. we don't get all the goodies because some of the stupid regulations...
    they thought by having DOT standards will have better safety measurements but in europe it's clearly better.
    it's all about the drivers, not about brand new cars....

well, a lot of it is manufacturer's decisions independent of any DOT regs or whatever, I mean, look at all the different engine displacement that's available overseas. Ever seen a Merc S240? Hell, look at all those hot hatches that's available elsewhere. The reverse is true as well though, you rarely see SUVs available outside of the US, different markets different needs. we're just unfortunate to fall into the segment that's not really in demand here in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by DuckWingDuck View Post
    well, a lot of it is manufacturer's decisions independent of any DOT regs or whatever, I mean, look at all the different engine displacement that's available overseas. Ever seen a Merc S240? Hell, look at all those hot hatches that's available elsewhere. The reverse is true as well though, you rarely see SUVs available outside of the US, different markets different needs. we're just unfortunate to fall into the segment that's not really in demand here in the US.
    Sounds like a new business opportunity for individuals that are near the US borders = import/export.

http://www.audi.com.mx/audi/mx/es2/new_cars/RS6.html

Hell, there is stuff (read as vehicles) that comes up from Mexico that anyone outside of So Cal wouldn't recognize, YET those smog sardine cans are allowed to run free and cloudy. Who the heck is regulating that CRAP??!?!? NAFTA?!??!? Border Patrol ?!?! ....thread creap....

I agree with all the info on:
    1. Dollar vs Euro,
    2. DRC and other warranty issues in US,
    3. Lack of service tech training...

I do find it ironic that Hoppen would offer upgrades on a car that is only owned/leased by TWO people in the US (330M people)?!?!?

playing with the AUDI configurator...($133,000 USD base)
    http://configurator.audi.com/acc/ext...t-mex-spa.view

Uhhhh,

Boarder Patrol? enforcement? Janet Nappy and Barack. Those are words that will never be spoken in the same sentence.

Our Sheriff can no longer detain illegal immigrants.

I would say some smoky cars are the least of our worries.

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    Sounds like a new business opportunity for individuals that are near the US borders = import/export.

http://www.audi.com.mx/audi/mx/es2/new_cars/RS6.html

Hell, there is stuff (read as vehicles) that comes up from Mexico that anyone outside of So Cal wouldn't recognize, YET those smog sardine cans are allowed to run free and cloudy. Who the heck is regulating that CRAP??!?!? NAFTA?!??!? Border Patrol ?!?! ....thread creap....

I agree with all the info on:
    1. Dollar vs Euro,
    2. DRC and other warranty issues in US,
    3. Lack of service tech training...

I do find it ironic that Hoppen would offer upgrades on a car that is only owned/leased by TWO people in the US (330M people)?!?!?

playing with the AUDI configurator...($133,000 USD base)
    http://configurator.audi.com/acc/ext...t-mex-spa.view