Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RECALL/ DRC/ Upcoming Service Action 2003 RS6/ 43A8/J4

RECALL/ DRC/ Upcoming Service Action 2003 RS6/ 43A8/J4

Upcoming Service Action Campaign Announcement

Service Action 43A8/J4 - 2003 Audi RS6

Dynamic Ride Control (DRC) Suspension Service

This is to inform you that Audi will be notifying customers of a Service Action later this summer that requires the installation of improved shocks to 2003 RS6 vehicles.

What is the problem?
    The affected vehicles may have shock leaks in the Dynamic Ride Control suspension.

What does the repair involve, and when will the repair be available?
    Audi will install improved shocks on the affected vehicles. Unfortunately, the necessary parts stock to complete this repair will not be available until August. Once the necessary parts are available in the market, we will send a second notification that the Service Action is now available and can be completed.

Parts Allocation Information
    Once the parts are available in August, you will receive an initial allocation of parts for this campaign prior to the initiation of this Service Action.

Interim Repair Instructions
    In the event of a customer complaint on the DRC suspension system prior to the initiation of this Service Action, please create a ticket with the Technical Assistance Center (TAC) for further instructions.

Any customers with questions unable to be answered by this announcement should be directed to Audi Customer CARE at 1-800-253-2834.

Thank you for your help in this matter.

Frequently Asked Questions for Upcoming Service Action 43A8/J4

This FAQ provides supplementary information on the 43A8/J4 Service Action. For additional information, please refer to the upcoming 43A8/J4 dealer letter that will be posted on Service Net in February 2009.

What vehicles are affected?
    The following summarizes the affected vehicles for the United States and Canada:

United States - Model year 2003 Audi RS6 vehicles

Canada - Model year 2004 Audi RS6 vehicles

How many vehicles are affected?

* 1,437 vehicles are affected in the United States
    * 90 vehicles are affected in Canada

What is the problem and what can happen?
    The affected vehicles may have shock leaks in the Dynamic Ride Control suspension.

Can I drive the vehicle until it is repaired?
    Yes, the vehicle can still be driven as usual.

What exactly will be repaired on the vehicle?
    Audi will install improved shocks on the affected vehicles.

What was redesigned in the DRC system?
    The shock absorbers received a redesigned seal package and shaft guide bushings.

Will the Central Valves be replaced during the repair?
    As a first step, the central valves will be replaced as part of the repair process. Going forward, Audi will use a newly designed special tool to recharge the existing central valves, which will increase the repair efficiency. Once this special tool is available to the Dealers, the replacement of central valves will not be necessary.

What if the vehicle has been modified from original factory intent? (i.e., aftermarket suspension)
    If post-sale modifications to the vehicle prevent dealer technicians from conducting repair work under this Service Action, the vehicle may require additional work to bring it back to factory specifications. Any such additional work will be at the customer's expense. Please see Campaign Quick Reference Guide on page 23 for further details.

Is a loaner vehicle being offered under this Service Action?
    No, a loaner vehicle is not offered under this Service Action.

When will this repair be available?
    This is a pre-announcement notice for this Service Action. PLEASE NOTE: repair parts will not be available until August 2009. Once the necessary parts are available, we will notify you that the Service Action is now available and can be completed.

What if a customer has an issue with the Dynamic Ride Control (DRC) now?
    In the event of a customer complaint on the DRC suspension system prior to the initiation of this Service Action; please create a ticket with the Technical Assistance Center (TAC) for further instructions. The interim claiming instructions will be added to the FAQs sometime next week.

Can only RS6 authorized dealers perform this repair?
    No, all authorized Audi dealers can perform this repair.

What if the vehicle has been modified from original factory intent? (i.e., aftermarket suspension)
    If post-sale modifications to the vehicle prevent dealer technicians from conducting repair work under this Service Action, the vehicle may require additional work to bring it back to factory specifications. Any such additional work will be at the customer's expense. Please see Campaign Quick Reference Guide on page 23 for further details.

Just dropped the RS6 for the 75K service. Asst. service manager was just officially informed of the factory DRC fix yesterday. I'll be the first in line for the fix is August.
    Topcat_92

Is your DRC leaking now?

Quote Originally Posted by topcat_92 View Post
    Just dropped the RS6 for the 75K service. Asst. service manager was just officially informed of the factory DRC fix yesterday. I'll be the first in line for the fix is August.

"Interim Repair Instructions
    In the event of a customer complaint on the DRC suspension system prior to the initiation of this Service Action, please create a ticket with the Technical Assistance Center (TAC) for further instructions."

DHall1, I forgot about that document. I read it last week. It addresses what we talked about yesterday, ie. info on getting the system fixed now. Have you asked the dealer to inquire about this yet?

I didnt want to point that out too clear but yes I did catch that component about cars leaking now. Too busy to worry about the car this week but I wanted to inform those that have dangerous driving vehicles and drive thier cars every day. Mine is parked in the garage all cleaned up after the blast of Mulholland last weekend.

A couple of members that have serious leaks are calling in now. Mine is just started but the car is going "soft" which means I cant really attend these Audi driving dates in Nevada and Utah this spring/summer.

Similar to what others have said. When your Audi does not perform to design. You tend not to enjoy the ride. When you dont enjoy the ride your not motivated to attend driving events. When you dont attend driving events you wont see the new R8 in action. When you dont see the new R8 in action you have little motivation to spend 125,000 dollars.

I may just concentrate on finishing up our pool designs in the back and build on to my shop in the back as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SAF View Post
    "Interim Repair Instructions
    In the event of a customer complaint on the DRC suspension system prior to the initiation of this Service Action, please create a ticket with the Technical Assistance Center (TAC) for further instructions."

DHall1, I forgot about that document. I read it last week. It addresses what we talked about yesterday, ie. info on getting the system fixed now. Have you asked the dealer to inquire about this yet?

I am leaking on three of the four corners, why?
    Topcat_92

Please re-read the Audi document.

Your service manager should be calling Audi Tech assist. Tech assist will send out struts right now and fix your car today.

My tech says there are no replacement shocks available at this time thu normal channels. When he enters the part number in the computer, it comes up as N/A...

I received a letter yesterday from Audi with a reimbusement form to complete if I had spent anything on my suspension. It also mentions the upgrade that will be rolled out in August. I was WAAAAY impressed!
    If you never exceed the limits, how do you know where they are?

Because the fourth isn't leaking yet.

Did I win?

My DRC is not leaking yet. I assume I have to wait for this problem to surface. Does anyone know if there is a time limit on the recall?

Regards,
    BILL

No limit on time yet. I would not wait too long. 1yr at the most.

Quote Originally Posted by wm_sorg View Post
    My DRC is not leaking yet. I assume I have to wait for this problem to surface. Does anyone know if there is a time limit on the recall?

Regards,
    BILL

Well,

So much for my wifes pool design.

Wow, there may be an R8 in the garage some day. I mean these pics are just wrong. Arrrrgh that is a sweet car.

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    I didnt want to point that out too clear but yes I did catch that component about cars leaking now. Too busy to worry about the car this week but I wanted to inform those that have dangerous driving vehicles and drive thier cars every day. Mine is parked in the garage all cleaned up after the blast of Mulholland last weekend.

A couple of members that have serious leaks are calling in now. Mine is just started but the car is going "soft" which means I cant really attend these Audi driving dates in Nevada and Utah this spring/summer.

Similar to what others have said. When your Audi does not perform to design. You tend not to enjoy the ride. When you dont enjoy the ride your not motivated to attend driving events. When you dont attend driving events you wont see the new R8 in action. When you dont see the new R8 in action you have little motivation to spend 125,000 dollars.

I may just concentrate on finishing up our pool designs in the back and build on to my shop in the back as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	R8rear.jpg 
Views:	366 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	7727   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	R8side1.jpg 
Views:	365 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	7728   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	R8side.jpg 
Views:	358 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	7729  

Quote Originally Posted by BLITZEN View Post
    I received a letter yesterday from Audi with a reimbusement form to complete if I had spent anything on my suspension. It also mentions the upgrade that will be rolled out in August. I was WAAAAY impressed!

Can you please put up a copy of the reimbursement form, that would be great. im going to call them anyway. at least if i had one, they couldn't tell me it doesn't exist.
    2003 RS6
    2006 M5

President/Designer
    DAHBO Couture
    www.dahbo.com

Nice.

BTW, my right rear shock is now squeeking very loudly. Not sure if it is something loose from the repair or if the DRC has gone bad again. Bringing it this Thursday.

I spoke with my service tech about the announcement and they have not seen it yet so I'll be helpful and print it out for them.

Stay tuned...

Copper,

Question.....can you read my note to HyOctane above about how much deflection is in each corner of the car? Your car was replaced not long ago and I have this feeling that my DRC is loosing pressure after our Mulholland run last week. Can you run out in the garage and do the bump test?

Actually its over on this thread...post 43

http://rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17852&page=3

Thanks,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Copper View Post
    Nice.

BTW, my right rear shock is now squeeking very loudly. Not sure if it is something loose from the repair or if the DRC has gone bad again. Bringing it this Thursday.

I spoke with my service tech about the announcement and they have not seen it yet so I'll be helpful and print it out for them.

Stay tuned...

DHall, This is completely unrelated, but do you think that your sudden DRC failure might have something to do with being trailered rather than the actual aggressive driving? When you first said you were planning on trailering your car I wondered about the effects on the drc after being "cinched down" for an extended period of time.
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's