PDA

View Full Version : Q7 V10 TDI

Gallardo
July 14th, 2006, 09:53
Does anybody has some information if and by when Audi is planning to build in the V10 TDI engine?

Cheers

Qisha
July 14th, 2006, 10:55
Dear Gallardo,

no V10 TDI, a V12 TDI instead.

Leadfoot
July 14th, 2006, 12:45
Originally posted by Gallardo
Does anybody has some information if and by when Audi is planning to build in the V10 TDI engine?

Cheers

No V10TDi, this is a solely VW produce. There will be a 4.2 V8TDi next year with 330hp.

borispmchan
July 15th, 2006, 10:22
sure?
I thought there will be a W engine again...

AndyBG
July 15th, 2006, 10:29
I am not sure, but i think that VW is droping hole V10 TDI project, future VAG high performance diesels will be using V8 and V12 common rail TDIs.

Leadfoot
July 15th, 2006, 12:18
Originally posted by AndyBG
I am not sure, but i think that VW is droping hole V10 TDI project, future VAG high performance diesels will be using V8 and V12 common rail TDIs.

I didn't hear about the V12Tdi, but the V8TDi is on it's way in the Q7 and there will be a S-model in the Q7 line-up as well. What engine it will use is unknown as the project is at least a couple of years away. I guess is a V10 5.2L from the S8, lovely.

When you conceder that Merc have a ML63AMG and Porsche have it's Cayenne TurboS, I wouldn't be surprised to see Audi with a RS-model of the Q7, with Twin Turbos and a beefed up bodykit. Hopefully not like the one Ben posted.puke:

Benman
July 17th, 2006, 15:48
Originally posted by AndyBG

I think this is correct. V8 TDI next with a V12 TDI to come later.

However, for us blokes in the US, the only TDI will get in the next 3-4 years will be only the 3.0...:cry:

Ben:addict:

gjg
July 18th, 2006, 19:58
However, for us blokes in the US, the only TDI will get in the next 3-4 years will be only the 3.0...

for the driving you do this is more than enough .... :harass:

Benman
July 18th, 2006, 23:25
Originally posted by gjg
for the driving you do this is more than enough .... :harass:

Yeah, maybe Audi will really make me happy and import the 1.6L TDI for it, LOL!:applause:

Leadfoot
July 18th, 2006, 23:45
Originally posted by Benman
Yeah, maybe Audi will really make me happy and import the 1.6L TDI for it, LOL!:applause:

Guys, don't knock the 3.0Tdi, it's a hell of an engine and with a very cheap tuning chip it will produce 276bhp and well over 400lbs/ft of torque. Now it's would make it a sub 8 seconds to 60mph offroader and will beat the 4.2FSi in everything apart from top speed.

Benman
July 19th, 2006, 01:21
Originally posted by Leadfoot
Guys, don't knock the 3.0Tdi...

The irony is George and I are having a little inside joke. George is getting the 3.0 (along with those "upgrades" you mention) and I wish I could get the 3.0...

Lateknight
July 20th, 2006, 03:44
Dont sound the death knell just yet for the V10 tdi. Its days are numbered for sure in its current 'pumpe duese' form. As eventually all P.D engines are.

I wouldn't be too suprised if it is re-designed for a common rail system.

Here's why.
The 2.5L 5 pot tdi engine (Touareg /T5 caravelle) - in basic form is one half of the current v10 tdi. Exactly double the capacity. Same Bore/Stroke.

The latest generation of this 2.5tdi 5 cyl engine, which appears in the new Crafter (VWs replacement for the LT) is common rail now.

Crudely, if you double it up, you've got yourself a future emission compliant engine with about 100Nm more torque than the 4.2tdi (based on A8 tdi numbers). Which is what you want in a 2.5 tonne SUV/4x4, more than horsepower.

Is any roadgoing development of the Le mans v12 tdi going to fit in the engine bay of a Q7/Touareg/Cayenne?.
It looks a big old unit.

borispmchan
July 20th, 2006, 10:51
Why TDi???
I think there's no one who would use diesel engines for Le Mans...
TDi would be a bit odd.

Benman
July 20th, 2006, 18:34
Originally posted by borispmchan
Why TDi???

Dude, seriously? Audi just WON Le Mans with TDI.

AndyBG
July 20th, 2006, 20:45
Originally posted by borispmchan
Why TDi???
TDi would be a bit odd.

:hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

Good one... :thumb:

chewym
July 21st, 2006, 02:10
Originally posted by Lateknight

Is any roadgoing development of the Le mans v12 tdi going to fit in the engine bay of a Q7/Touareg/Cayenne?.
It looks a big old unit. [/B]

I doubt it. That is a purpose built engine. Just as you will never see the racing R8's 3.6 liter V-8 turbo with 500-600 hp in a production car, you will never see the V-12 from the R10. I seriously doubt it.

BTW, Audi (and VW) better get their new diesels here in the U.S. quick. MB already will have one by the end of this year. BMW will come with one in about two year. If Audi doesn't get the 3.0 V-6 into the Q7/A6/A4 for the 2008 model year, all of their marketing with the R10 (it is running races in the ALMS and during those races, Audi TDI commercials are shown) will go down the drain. It would be a shame to see Audi (innovator of diesel technology) to be beaten by others.

borispmchan
July 21st, 2006, 10:53
I knew they've won the LeMans by using their TDi...
But is that a good idea to use a diesel engine for a racing LeMans cars?
I think the TDi technology is better for Fuel Saving Competition...:doh:

gjg
July 21st, 2006, 12:14
I think the TDi technology is better for Fuel Saving Competition...

not just that - you would want to use diesel as your primary engine if you travel off road because the torque in low rpms. I mean working conditions, not California oofroading. :thumb:

Benman
July 21st, 2006, 17:01
Originally posted by gjg
not California oofroading. :thumb: ;) :applause:

Leadfoot
July 22nd, 2006, 18:36
Don't buy the Q7 for it's off-road ability, because it won't be that great and be this I mean nowhere near as good as the LR Discovery. The Q7 is a soft off-roader, more suited to the road and as such, a high performance diesel would be a great addition.

It's silly to think that the TDi in the Le Mans winning car will see the light of day in a road car, but the technology that goes in to making it a winner will make it to the road. In this I mean alloy engine block etc. The same goes for the R8's engine. Motorsport is not only there to improve brand image but a test bed for new technology, technology that will be used in the near future for you and me.

I don't think we will see a V10TDi in the Q7 because Audi policy is V8TDi, if this is not the case we would have seen a V10 in the A8.

Lateknight
July 22nd, 2006, 18:58
There is a petrol v10 in the A8 (looks across at BMWs petrol v10)

So this will largely be dependant on what M.B /BMW /Lexus do as regards diesels in their suv/4x4.

If M.B produce a monster diesel (like they are doing with there petrols) then Audi would have to consider a more powerfull engine. I'm sure they have the V10 in development - just in case.

AndyBG
July 23rd, 2006, 00:16
...I'm sure they have the V10 in development - just in case.

I don't see any big demand for V10 wehn you have V12 TDI, fastest diesel engine in the history.

Leadfoot
July 23rd, 2006, 00:32
There is a petrol v10 in the A8 (looks across at BMWs petrol v10)

So this will largely be dependant on what M.B /BMW /Lexus do as regards diesels in their suv/4x4.

If M.B produce a monster diesel (like they are doing with there petrols) then Audi would have to consider a more powerfull engine. I'm sure they have the V10 in development - just in case.

I think we would all be shocked at the amount of engines under development by manufacturers. And I agree the market controls which engines come to the front, but VW have had for a few years now the V10TDi in two models and yet Audi have not choose to use them, why. But this is a VW product only, it was developed to show Merc etc. that they were not the only choice to have in the luxury market, VW should be considered and this engine was saying look at me, the biggest most powerful production diesel engine.

Apart from this the engine was very heavy and with Audi being the so called Sporty Brand in VAG, this engine would have made the handling even worse.

Iceman
August 3rd, 2006, 12:24
Originally posted by Gallardo

Cheers
There will not be a V10 TDI engine for the Q7.
But a 4.2 Litre V8 TDI engine.
And the days for the V10 TDI are counting down.
It is just only availeble in the Touareg.
VW pulled it out of the Phaeton.

Hans.

Leadfoot
August 3rd, 2006, 21:23
Originally posted by Iceman
There will not be a V10 TDI engine for the Q7.
But a 4.2 Litre V8 TDI engine.
And the days for the V10 TDI are counting down.
It is just only availeble in the Touareg.
VW pulled it out of the Phaeton.

Hans.

It interesting to hear that VW have dropped the V10 for the Pheaton. It was the one engine I thought really suited the car, it was so different from the rest of it's rivals. I reckon it must be to do with emissions and economy.

Or is it to do with a possible V12Tdi waiting in the wings?

What do you think Hans.

Iceman
August 3rd, 2006, 21:40
Emissions and economy.

Hans.