PDA

View Full Version : Japan sport bikes

AndyBG
March 23rd, 2006, 23:02
What is your favorite Japan made sports bike, i am just courious?
Or you can write what you have if you have one.

1. HONDA
2. KAWASAKI
3. SUZUKI
4. YAMAHA

JavierNuvolari
March 23rd, 2006, 23:25
I don't have one or plans to have one. But if I were to buy one I would boy a Yamaha R1 ;)

AndyBG
March 24th, 2006, 01:27
OK, that is one for Yamaha...

Benman
March 24th, 2006, 01:42
Originally posted by JavierNuvolari
I don't have one or plans to have one. But if I were to buy one I would boy a Yamaha R1 ;)

The Yamaha R1 is the King of all bikes, and I would love to own one. That said, I'd maybe take the CBR 1000. Hondas are so bullet proof and the looks of the CBR is nearly as cool as the R1 (although I saw the optional matt finish "Black Raven" color just the other day!:heart: Beautiful bike!)

My only bike was a puny Suzuki Katana 600. I liked it, but it was puke: compared to other bikes.

Ben:addict:

AndyBG
March 24th, 2006, 02:06
Ok, that is another one for Yamaha... :)

Benman
March 24th, 2006, 14:54
Originally posted by AndyBG
Ok, that is another one for Yamaha... :)

So... thinking about picking one up?

Erik
March 24th, 2006, 15:11
This is my type of bike :hahahehe:

http://media.hojfeber.se/2006/porsche.jpg

alex_s3
March 24th, 2006, 15:26
Yamaha and suzuki is bort good.. :)

AndyBG
March 24th, 2006, 15:48
Originally posted by Benman
So... thinking about picking one up?

Yes, very mutch, if my ''financial plan'' realises, there is going to be something of these in my garage.

I allways liked Yamaha the most, Suzuki on the second place, but i wanted to check what is in your heads.

@Erik,

i am with you on that one, if they produce bike its going to be 100 % best ''two wheeler'' ever!

Keep with voting, i now courious with how many votes Yamaha is going to win, :D, or maybe it isn't.

ott
March 26th, 2006, 10:47
Suzuki gets my vote, although I ride Honda currently. Nothing beats turbocharged Busa.:thumb:

AndyBG
March 26th, 2006, 13:38
Originally posted by ott
... Nothing beats turbocharged Busa.:thumb:

:D litle bit extreme solution for at this moment. :thumb:

What Honda you have?

Bingocaller
March 26th, 2006, 14:21
Hayabusa - no more - no less :race:

ott
March 26th, 2006, 17:46
What Honda you have?

Its just Hornet 900 or 919, depending on what side of the pond are you located.

BBGT2
March 26th, 2006, 17:47
I had a GSXR1100. If I were to buy again it would be the HAYABUSA !
I just love that name, and the bike is ohhh soo sweet !

Bajo:addict:

AndyBG
March 26th, 2006, 23:50
Originally posted by Bajors6
I had a GSXR1100. If I were to buy again it would be the HAYABUSA !
I just love that name, and the bike is ohhh soo sweet !

Bajo:addict:

Yes it is VERY sweet, 'Busa is like a ''godfather'' of bikes, but its been here for 7 years now, i love it, i even have three litle ''maisto'' 'Busas standing on my TV, but i think its litle bit outdated, it seems to me its time for new generation.

That bike you had, GSXR1100, man, that was ''EVIL'' on wheels, that bike set some standards in its class!

AndyBG
March 28th, 2006, 03:30
So, this is most desireble Yamaha, at the moment i wonder why...

183 hp at 12500 rpm

Benman
March 28th, 2006, 15:54
Yep! That be the one! ^^^ Matt "Raven Black".:heart: Love it!

AndyBG
May 1st, 2006, 14:13
So, here are my sport bike(s)!!! :lovl:

:alig:

Yamaha Aerox R - 50 ccm, 3 hp!

The blue one is all stock, but silver one is highly ''tuned'', it can reach speed of up to 100 km/h! :trash:

I get great deal on these two, so, now i have new two wheels to ''buzz'' around while i am waiting my real bike to arrive

Here are some pic's of these two ''beasts''. :hihi:

AndyBG
May 1st, 2006, 14:18
:cool2:

...one more...

AndyBG
May 1st, 2006, 14:21
And one more. :D

Benman
May 1st, 2006, 15:34
Man, you wear full race leather when you ride those bad boys, right?:trash: :D

AndyBG
May 1st, 2006, 16:10
Man, you wear full race leather when you ride those bad boys, right?:trash: :D

:applause:

Full package, just like Vale' Rossi. :hihi:

It is Yamaha, after all!:race:

Benman
May 1st, 2006, 18:19
:applause:

Full package, just like Vale' Rossi. :hihi:

It is Yamaha, after all!:race:

:applause: :applause: :thumb:

When are you picking up the R1?

Audihead
May 1st, 2006, 18:45
2006 Honda Interceptor:

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2006models/2006-Honda-Interceptora-small.jpg

Honda makes the best quality and most comfortable bikes in the world IMHO.:0:

AndyBG
May 2nd, 2006, 14:28
:applause: :applause: :thumb:

When are you picking up the R1?

In two weeks, if everything goes acording to plan.

I miised one today, those Gumball Porsches and Ferraris are very fast! :hihi:

Benman
May 2nd, 2006, 15:30

:thumb: Congrats. Raven Black?

AndyBG
May 2nd, 2006, 16:04
:thumb: Congrats. Raven Black?

We will see wehn bike arrive, i am expecting that, but any other will do.

:race:

Benman
September 27th, 2006, 17:05

Andy,

I'm resurrecting this old thread. Wanted to see whatever happened? Did you get it? Tell you what, you buy one, I'll buy one. :D My brother asked me about a year ago if I ever felt the desire to get another bike (cause he wants one and wants an excuse to buy one :D). We decided that if we both still wanted one after a year, we'd both make the plunge. BTW, the Yamaha finished a close second to the Honda in your Poll. ;)

AndyBG
October 3rd, 2006, 17:49
Ah, that was a short love... :D

I was gone for R1, had it for 6 and a half days, exatcly and....

.... NO it wasn't what you think it was....:hihi:

I re-saled it, there was a guy ho didn't want to wait for next delivery, and I ''gave'' him mine for 1000 EUR above the price...
The bike is great, no discusion there, but this wasn't my year for it...

Next...

Benman
October 3rd, 2006, 18:43
Ah, that was a short love... :D

I was gone for R1, had it for 6 and a half days...

Next...

Less than a week?!? Must be a new record!:lovl: So...what do you have now (or...what next)?

I'm thinking a liter bike is not needed. Something not too flashy. I don't know, I might even get a "commuter" bike.

Aaron,

I had the chance to check out the VFR Interceptor in person (same color as your pic). Awesome ergonomics. Fit like a glove. Only problem is the weight. Heavy bike (I'm really wanting something sub 400lbs). But man, what a fit and comfy seating posistion.

**edit** Honda has tied Yamaha in your poll :D

AndyBG
October 3rd, 2006, 22:26
So...what do you have now (or...what next)?

I'm thinking a liter bike is not needed. Something not too flashy. I don't know, I might even get a "commuter" bike.

.**edit** Honda has tied Yamaha in your poll :D

At the moment, I'm ''bikeless'', my eyes are on R1 or something else from that ''liter class''...

Yes, you are 100000% wright wehn you say that ''liter bike'' is not needed, specialy for cruising around town, for that is useless.

For a commuter bike, very good solution is Kawasaki ER 6n or Yamaha FZ1, FZ6...

Those are very easy to drive and light construction...

I was expecting Honda to win, but maybe this is late wake...:hihi:

Audihead
October 4th, 2006, 00:55
Aaron,

I had the chance to check out the VFR Interceptor in person (same color as your pic). Awesome ergonomics. Fit like a glove. Only problem is the weight. Heavy bike (I'm really wanting something sub 400lbs). But man, what a fit and comfy seating posistion.

That's what I love about the VFR series from Honda. It's not the fastest or the lightest, but damn, you can ride it all day long. It also is one of the smoothest bikes out there. The V4 motor has a great mid-range with a decent torque punch out of the hole. None of the vibration of an in-line motor and the power of a full liter bike. It doesn't do one thing really well, but does everything fairly well with great ease. it truly is one of the greatest GT Sprotbikes out there.:love:

Klint
October 4th, 2006, 12:58
Hayabusas are good sports cruisers, but nothing special anymore, definitely an out of date bike. Fast in a straight line, but show it a corner it'll shit itself.

As for those who don't ride and would pick the R1, think again, these are the 996 GT2s of Big CC Sport Bikes, also known as the Widow Makers, and quite literally too.

CBR600RR would be my choice. Good balance of power, speed, ability and weight. All round good bike with Honda reliability.

Benman
October 4th, 2006, 17:21
Andy,

Don't care for the looks of the bikes you mentioned. I know that is a lame excuse, but it's true. BMWs look like poodoo, and that is one reason I don't drive them. I'd rather have something that is not powerful, but at least looks good. Even for a commuter...

Aaron,

Did you ever own a VFR? More thoughts would be appreciated.

Klint,

Yes, a widow maker indeed. I hear about people buying these for their first bike and I'm blown away! And actually, they are even more "Enzo of motorcycles" than they are GT2s. Scarey fast! Would a parent get there teenager a GT2 for their first car? I'd hope not! Same with this baby.

And that leads me to what Bike I'll get. Back when I had my Katana 600, I never really properly "learned" how to ride. It was a 90hp, 440lbs sled. I was "self taught" so learned a lot of bad habits and wrong riding techniques. I've be doing a fair amount of reading and realize that although I'd rather have something much cooler, I really "need" a cheapo lightweight "learner" bike to "relearn" (and this time, correctly I might add) the proper riding styles.

So... believe it or not, I'm going to blow you guys away and say I'm thinking of getting a KOREAN bike. There, I've said it (man, feel like I've come out of the closet!!! :D). Yep, not a typo. Not planning on having it as a keeper but the one I'm looking at is 350lbs and 250cc. It is not a down sized bike, but is actually built on the full sized 650 chassis. Now, Hyosungs are not known for quality, that I know. But the recent review in Brit mag "BIKE" of 4STARS made me think. The GT650R only got a 2 star rating, but the GT250R got 4 stars! It was rated the very best 250 out there (with the exception of the 2 stroke Aprilia 250).

So... this is what I'm thinking of. Have it for a year or so, and really learn how to ride. Hardly any power, so if I want speed through a turn, I've have to work the bike, not just pull the "trigger" like on a R1.

Laugh away, but here is a pic: (FLAME SUIT ON! :D)

Klint
October 4th, 2006, 17:34
But the recent review in Brit mag "BIKE" of 4STARS made me think. The GT650R only got a 2 star rating, but the GT250R got 4 stars! It was rated the very best 250 out there (with the exception of the 2 stroke Aprilia 250).

Ben, that might because 250s are becoming extremely extinct new, maybe there's only those two 250s in the market nowadays. Similiar thing with the 400s. Might be an idea to get onto a Honda Hornet 600 or aim for a 500, it sounds stupid but realistically if it can be done get it done. That thing looks cool but I wouldn't turn up to a motorcycle meet with that. lol

Here, we got to go through a strict motorcycle testing system, compared to the states, Basic training first, known as the CBT, then a theory test and practical test before we can ride anything above 125cc and 15hp. Worth doing and you learn alot of things throughout the lesson times.

I'm tempted to get back into biking aswell.

Benman
October 4th, 2006, 21:36
Klint,

Sorry mate, nakeds are out. 1st, I don't like the way nakeds look, 2nd, I don't care for the turbulance at speed (amazing how much difference some plastic side cladding can make) since I plan on using it for commutes (mostly freeway). It's just about light enough to do it, but at 410lbs dry, it's only 60lbs lighter than the big VRF. Also, at $7K+, it is more than I want to spend for a "learner" bike. At that price, why not pony up a couple $K more for a 07' CBR600RR (due out next March, and bitching looking BTW)? Mind is not set in stone yet... we'll see.

As for the meet... I'd show up with it for that reason LOL!:applause: An experienced rider on a "lame" GT250R can smoke a noobe on a CBR600RR in the tight stuff.

Also, as for the CBT, we have a similar program in CA. Its called a MSF course. Completely voluntary, but well worth it. :cheers:

Audihead
October 5th, 2006, 02:12
The 2 bikes i've had:

'93 VFR750F:
http://plaistowpowersports.com/images/plaistowpowersports/VP124298_1.jpg

'82 CB900F:
http://www.southendmotorcycle.com/images/cb900f.JPG

JavierNuvolari
October 5th, 2006, 02:52
Nice bikes...I was looking to buy a 250cc until my mom told she would kick me out(house/family business/will/etc... ) so I abandon the idea...

Cheers guys,

Javier

Klint
October 5th, 2006, 04:08
Sorry BikerBen, will add this to my favourites, to check in the morning whan I'[m not under the inlufence oof alcohol. Otherwise I;d be taking the piss, can;t be doing that to a fellow mod! LOL!!! 4am over and out.

Klint
October 5th, 2006, 11:25
Okay carrying on above.

Ben it seems you've already made your decision, so I wont try and pursuade you to change your mind. Don't cut corners with you biker gear though, such as helmet, gloves, boots, training and leathers.

Benman
October 5th, 2006, 18:50
Very nice Aaron!:thumb:

Javier,

My mother told me the same thing (and I also am in a family business). So the day I moved out, I bought a bike (also happened to be the same day I shaved my head :D), and went for it. It was my only means of transport for @ 2 years... After not having one for nearly a decade, I'm ready to get back in.

Klint, nothing set in stone. Brother really likes the 07' CBR600RR but at $9.5K its pricey. Won't make a desicion for a while yet.

This is really cool that several of us are into bikes. Never would have known. We'll have to start up a mini RS6 bikers club. :D:dig:

AndyBG
October 6th, 2006, 02:09
This is really cool that several of us are into bikes. Never would have known. We'll have to start up a mini RS6 bikers club. :D:dig:

Yeah, I would never guess, wehn I started thread, I tought there is going to be 2 or 3 replies...

Great...:alig:

Benman
November 6th, 2006, 16:54
Ok, my family and I got back from the Phoenix, AZ bike show. Very nice. After checking it out in Person, I have to admit that I fell in love with the new CBR600RR. Soooooo nice.:heart: The fit was spot on, absolutely perfect for me. It was almost as if the bike was custom made just for me. Wow. Looks were fantastic as well.

I was really wanting to get a CBR1000RR, but after seeing the new 07' 600... hmm...

A side note, wife was able to stradle the Ninja 250 (just barely) so will pick that up by month's end. It will need a lowering kit to make it more rideable for her, but that is fine.

Here is the new 600 along with our daughter trying out a Yamy 50:

***edit*** by the time I got done resizing and lowering the quality to make the dang pics fit, you can't even tell it's my daughter and that it's a CBR!!! Sorry... :cry:

AndyBG
November 17th, 2006, 14:33
Ben, CBR you say...:360:

The ''germ'' of speed is in you !!! :0:

Benman
November 17th, 2006, 15:00
I pick up the "commuter" Ninja 250 next weekend... and it will eventually be given to the wife. The new CBR600RR doesn't come out till March, so I have plenty of time to decide what I'm going to get then... CBR1000,CBR600 or a VFR800... don't know which will do it. But then, just saw pics of the Ducati 1098... http://www.ducati.com/cover_eng.html

Decisions, decisions...:applause:

AndyBG
November 21st, 2006, 14:40
Ben, take a look at this...

http://www.topgear.com/content/news/stories/1319/

...not my ''cup of tea'', but it's good.

JavierNuvolari
November 21st, 2006, 15:04
I pick up the "commuter" Ninja 250 next weekend... and it will eventually be given to the wife. The new CBR600RR doesn't come out till March, so I have plenty of time to decide what I'm going to get then... CBR1000,CBR600 or a VFR800... don't know which will do it. But then, just saw pics of the Ducati 1098... http://www.ducati.com/cover_eng.html

Decisions, decisions...:applause:

That Ducati is just sick:eek: . Love it...seriously, but perhaps the Honda will have lower maintance costs. BTW...have you seen the Top Gear episode on the Ariel Atom? you might wanna see it ;).

Andy, that bike is also not my cup of tea but it looks nice..however you might wanna take a look at the Ducati Monster, it's more track oriented though.

Saludos muchachos!

Javier

Benman
November 21st, 2006, 15:05
...not my ''cup of tea'', but it's good.

I know exactly what you mean by not my cup of tea...

If I was in the market for a street fighter, based off of an offroader something... I'd get one of these: http://ktm.com/990-Super-Duke.46.0.html Very nice, especially in black and recently placed very well with reviewers in several mag tests. Nice bike, but I'll end up with a Honda more than likely. We'll see... Pick up the lil 250 this weekend. Can't wait to travel via two wheels again.:applause:

AndyBG
November 21st, 2006, 15:09
Super Duke is fantastic motor, I can tell you that !

Benman
November 27th, 2006, 16:44
Well, despite Kawasaki having only 14.29% of the vote, I have a bike again... a very manly Ninja 250.:applause:

It feels sooo good to be back on two wheels after nearly a decade!

Yes, the thing is not an ideal freeway cruiser (9000rpms at 75mph!!!:hihi: ) but it is awesomely flickable, in fact, feels as light as a bicycle! A few months of this to get me up to speed, then we'll see about that CBR...

I doubt you'll want me to post pics seeing as this bike hasn't changed design in nearly twenty years... :D

Klint
November 27th, 2006, 18:42
Ben,

Didn't know a Ninja 250 existed, good choice and becareful, have been witness to some extremely severe accidents, including a crash of my own...

However we all know the risks of our two wheeled friends...

Get some pics posted..!

Benman
November 27th, 2006, 19:18
Ben,

Didn't know a Ninja 250 existed...

Wow, in that case, here's two pics of me and daughter on bike around the neighborhood.

And yes, we all know the risks and must excercise caution! BTW, Kassandra (like her daddy) is wearing full body armour. ;)

Klint
November 27th, 2006, 22:16
Cool pics Ben thanks for posting, see what you mean about the dated looks! lol

AndyBG
November 28th, 2006, 15:35
Ben, great pic's. :thumb:

Benman
November 28th, 2006, 17:18
Unfortunately, the last couple of days haven't been ideal bike weather... high 30's when I leave with light rain... it's dang cold in the morning (5:45am) going 80mph on the freeway when it's not even 40 degrees out... but then, could be worse, it could be below freezing and ice on the road (not much of that in So Cal...) so always look on the bright side I guess. ;)

I bought this bike for commuting rain or shine, and that is the way it shall stay. On a plus, it doesn't even take $10.00 to fill up a bone dry tank and it's a fantastic feeling to pass all the cars stuck dead in traffic. :thumb:

Klint
December 4th, 2006, 16:06
This thread got me thinking and fancied a change, so made some decisions, trading in the Jap for a hot italian. :p

The Veradero is out, in with the Aprilia MX 125. :wo:

http://images.google.co.uk/images?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=SNYD,SNYD:2004-33,SNYD:en&q=aprilia+mx+125

Benman
December 4th, 2006, 18:12
Ah Klint... I see you're going the path of the Mottard. How very sensible of you. ;) I was debating one as well, something a little more praticle like the 07' Suzuki DR-Z400SM in black, not Italian, but Freeway capable.

What is the cruising speed of the Aprilia MX 125?

Klint
December 4th, 2006, 20:06
Ah Klint... I see you're going the path of the Mottard. How very sensible of you. ;) I was debating one as well, something a little more praticle like the 07' Suzuki DR-Z400SM in black, not Italian, but Freeway capable.

What is the cruising speed of the Aprilia MX 125?

Ben,

Haven't ridden it yet. Getting it in de-restricted form. 33hp, instead of 11hp. Take delivery later this week, the bike is new/unused but is a 2005 model and it's a two stroke so will need some running in....Have heard it'll top out at 110mph no problems. Cruising? No chance here Ben!

Will post pics.

Benman
December 5th, 2006, 15:30
De-restricted... ah... so you have the same laws as UK, New Zealand and Australia?

You know, that is not such a bad idea. I voluntarily went the 250cc route before moving on to a bigger, faster bike (despite previously owning a 600), but most first time bikers just want the coolest thing they can buy on two wheels. Next thing you know, they're riding Hayabusas and two weeks later, are either so scared speechless they turn it in and never ride again, or something bad happens and saddly never get the chance to ride again (i.e. dead).

A required "learning" period similar to the UK and such would actually work well, but then, I've never been a big advocate of government intervention. ;)

Please post pics and impressions as I'd like to see more of it and hear how you like it. As for my lil' 250, I already have 800 miles in the week and a half I've had it. Great commuter. Can easily keep up with the traffic here (80+mph) and because it is so darn tiny, lane splitting is a breeze (I laugh my butt off at the struggling big Harleys! :lovl: ). However, it is pretty stressed at anything over 85... 10K rpm for 85mph!:hahahehe: I've seen an indicated 100mph but I've heard the speedo is about 10% generous...

Klint
December 5th, 2006, 16:37
That's cool, Ben. Sounds good.

Have read a couple times of novice riders jumping on R6s and the likes with no other experience had. This sounded insane, when i first started to read it on the forums. But only in America! Then again, every road is straight out there. ;)

Our laws are similar to the UK, not exactly the same but different in certain ways.

How's comfort on your bike? 800 miles in 10 or so days is some mileage!

Benman
December 5th, 2006, 16:56
Then again, every road is straight out there. ;) :applause:

How's comfort on your bike? 800 miles in 10 or so days is some mileage!

Comfort is pretty good. The seat isn't that bad for my 35 mile each way commute. If my commute was longer, like 80 miles or more, then it might be an issue. I bought the bike in Buena Park which is @ 65 miles away (only place that had a freakin' black one!). During that ride, I was still very comfortable considering the seat is just a cheapo factory deal. Throttle hand gets a little numb after a while from all the buzzing, but not too bad.

The only real comfort issue is wind. Man, the lil' Ninja 250 does not like wind. At freeway speeds here, it starts moving around and getting a tad touchy. Keep in mind, although the Ninja claims a top speed of 105mph (and I believe it), I would not do that speed for long. The bike's areodynamics are nearly 20 years old... and it shows. At 0-60mph, the bike is very stable. As you near 70mph, the wind starts to play a bigger part. At 80mph, it starts moving around a little. At 90mph, HOLD ON TIGHT! :D. My 92 Katana 600 was much more stable at those speeds so I really think the old plastics play a big part (that, and the light weight). But it is still a blast. :)

Yes, 800 miles in 10 days is a lot. As I mentioned in previous posts, I put a lot of miles on vehicles (realize that America is the land of "suburbia" so long commutes are the norm rather than the exception). My commute is rather short compared to other "suburbians". Some friends of mine travel 200 miles every day to get to and from work!!!:eek: Hence, if I used my RS 6 as a "everyday" car, it would easily have 115K-120K by now... and I didn't want that.

P.S. Andy, thanks for starting this thread!:dig:

Klint
December 5th, 2006, 18:13
Surprised about the comfort, my backside always use to hurt like a bitch once i hopped off a bike after a 100mile ride back in the days. :D

A couple painkillers were called for prior to a LONG road trip of 40miles lol! And that was on a so called comfortable commuter with wider Renthal bars to suit my build better. That was the Honda Cityfly 125.

America is a big big place! Remember visiting relative in Germany, road trips use to last for ages!

Benman
December 6th, 2006, 16:28
Surprised about the comfort, my backside always use to hurt like a bitch once i hopped off a bike after a 100mile ride back in the days. :D

Now that you mention it, I do kinda feel it on my lower back a little... not too bad though. Mostly that goes away after more time (sort of like working out) as you're using muscles not normally used. In time, you don't even feel it.

Right now, my biggest complaint is the dang cold. Below freezing in the mornings on the way to work is not too fun!:snow:

AndyBG
December 7th, 2006, 15:00
P.S. Andy, thanks for starting this thread!:dig:

No need to thank me...

I'm more than happy to see that we have more than one ''two wheell lovers'' here!

Klint
December 7th, 2006, 17:40
Now that you mention it, I do kinda feel it on my lower back a little... not too bad though. Mostly that goes away after more time (sort of like working out) as you're using muscles not normally used. In time, you don't even feel it.

Right now, my biggest complaint is the dang cold. Below freezing in the mornings on the way to work is not too fun!:snow:

Yeah, takes a while to get use to such things!

Nuts that your going out in the bad weather, the dealership can't deliver the MX untill he's had a roadtest, weather's too bad for the roadtest so delivery has been delayed...

Benman
December 8th, 2006, 01:34
delivery has been delayed...

Well that sucks! How much of "delay"? Couple of days or couple of weeks?

Thinking... man, this is getting harder to choose...

CBR1000RR
CBR600RR
VFR800
GSXR750
Daytona 675...

The Triumph is getting rave reviews and it would be nice to have something different...

What do you guys think between those choices?

Klint
December 8th, 2006, 11:24
Ben,

CBR600RR gets my vote.

Looks like today is gonna be the day for delivery, should be sweet. :D

Klint
December 8th, 2006, 19:13
Bike's arrived, need to get use to kick start and the digital dash. Also have to adjust the throttle cable as tick over is too low and causes the engine to stall, have also noticed a couple bolts missing on the handle bar brackets, so these are on order.

Also another thing, when turning the bars right the engine picks up revs...?

Will get pics tommorow as it arrived at dusk..

Benman
December 8th, 2006, 20:14
Bike's arrived, need to get use to kick start and the digital dash.

Dang, talk about a throw back! Kick start, now that is old... ;)

...have to adjust the throttle cable as tick over is too low and causes the engine to stall, have also noticed a couple bolts missing on the handle bar brackets, so these are on order.

Also another thing, when turning the bars right the engine picks up revs...?

Sounds like an Italian vehicle to me. :hihi: :applause:

Looking forward to the pics. Congrats on going with the passionate "heart" instead of the sensible "head" on picking a bike. :cheers:

Leadfoot
December 8th, 2006, 23:30
Not a bike man myself but I would say the CBR600RR would be about spot-on. Anything bigger would be like having a 12" d#ck, looks the part and all the other guys would be envious but there's no where really you can use it all.

Benman
December 8th, 2006, 23:55
...anything bigger would be like having a 12" d#ck, looks the part and all the other guys would be envious but there's no where really you can use it all.

:applause: :applause: :jlol:

Suprised you gents on that side of the pond aren't taken with the 675...

Lead, great point. My brother is going that route and I may just end up doing the same. The 07' 600 looks to be fantastic! :cheers:

Leadfoot
December 9th, 2006, 21:08
:applause: :applause: :jlol:

Suprised you gents on that side of the pond aren't taken with the 675...

Lead, great point. My brother is going that route and I may just end up doing the same. The 07' 600 looks to be fantastic! :cheers:

Ben,

I was talking from personal experience but not with bikes. :hahahehe:

Benman
December 11th, 2006, 16:10
Ben,

I was talking from personal experience but not with bikes. :hahahehe:

Suuuuuuure you were... ;)

Klint, No pics yet?

Benman
December 13th, 2006, 20:09
"Filtering," for us in the US, "lane splitting"...

How not to lane split!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOcr8423ezg

Wow, this guy is nuts!

Klint
December 13th, 2006, 21:41
Sorry chaps no pics yet, been pretty busy recently. Will have some up as soon as possible.

Klint
December 13th, 2006, 21:44
"Filtering," for us in the US, "lane splitting"...

How not to lane split!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOcr8423ezg

Wow, this guy is nuts!

What a loon, sounds like the bike is turboed. Road looks slippy too...! :bigeyes: :MTM:

Benman
December 14th, 2006, 22:22
Update:

After 1500 miles, wanted to post an update...

Bike is what it is, not very impressive for showy reasons but a darn fine commuter. Comfortable enough for freeway speeds and great fuel economy. Example, been averaging @ 57-61mpg so was interested in seeing what it could really get if you rode like a grandma (i.e. in the slow lane). Result? 206.1 miles on just 2.75 gallons of gas!!! 75mpg!!! The smug hybrid drivers can only dream of that kind of economy! Man, and I thought 61mpg was plenty good! I can't even believe this bike in my (at the time, sloooow) hands could actually achieve that. And that was not even following rigs the whole time or high tire pressures... I'd think 80 is definately achievable...

And before the flaming commences, just remember, with a little 4 stroke 250, great mileage is all I have to look forward to so cut me some slack!

Audihead
December 18th, 2006, 04:41
What a loon, sounds like the bike is turboed. Road looks slippy too...! :bigeyes: :MTM:

Given everything, I think he did a damn fine job. It raised my pulse just watching it.:bigeyes:

Benman
January 2nd, 2007, 20:55
So... Klint, still no pics?

BTW, the Lil' Ninja topped 80mpg... hit 83.3 on a tank so done with trying to see what it can get as you're a moving road hazard at the speeds neccessary to achieve that figure. ;) :D.

Ok, so... after much thought, I've put down a deposit on a 07' CBR600RR. Should have it by March. I was reeeeeaaal close to the Ducati 1098, but in the end, practicality won out. :thumb:

AndyBG
January 3rd, 2007, 10:24
Congrat's on your order, great bike !

LLLitle meen machine ! :hahahehe:

Benman
January 10th, 2007, 15:45
Thought I'd share this one with our little motorcycle community... good stuff... idiot...

http://www.1000rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=25728

:applause: :applause:

Klint
January 10th, 2007, 16:49
So... Klint, still no pics?

BTW, the Lil' Ninja topped 80mpg... hit 83.3 on a tank so done with trying to see what it can get as you're a moving road hazard at the speeds neccessary to achieve that figure. ;) :D.

Ok, so... after much thought, I've put down a deposit on a 07' CBR600RR. Should have it by March. I was reeeeeaaal close to the Ducati 1098, but in the end, practicality won out. :thumb:

Ben,

Still no pics, the bike has been garaged with the 325 and the 325 has my digi cam in it, my garages are located away from home. Been busy otherwise to go out of my way to get pictures. Will try my best to get some this week as i'm up there to turn the 325 over.

Fuel consumption is one of benefits of riding a motorbike, £10 will get you a good 100+miles range.

Congrats on the CBR600RR, stunning machine! Got a couple tests to do before i can jump on such bikes.

Benman
January 10th, 2007, 18:45
Ben,

Still no pics, the bike has been garaged...

Fuel consumption is one of benefits of riding a motorbike, £10 will get you a good 100+miles range.

Congrats on the CBR600RR, stunning machine! Got a couple tests to do before i can jump on such bikes.
No worries on the pics, when you get a chance...

Yes, and here in the States, $8.00 (4.xx Pound Sterling) will get you 200 plus miles. :hihi: :applause: Of course, that mileage will go down with the CBR:jlol:

Looking forward to it. Should hit dealerships around late February/early March!

Benman
January 12th, 2007, 17:10
Holy cow! Today on my way in (it was dang cold @ 30 degrees farenheit) it rained half the way and one section of freeway (a slight climb in elevation) we actually had hail! Pretty cool actually! My very first motorcycle ride in hail!:applause: :snow:

Klint
January 12th, 2007, 21:56
Take it easy Ben! Still no pics, haven't been to the garage. Don't even have an insurance policy on the bike, yet!

Benman
January 12th, 2007, 22:09
Don't even have an insurance policy on the bike, yet!

Yeah... it'd be a good idea to get that first. ;)

Leadfoot
January 13th, 2007, 19:22
Ben & Klint,

You guys are a rare breed, liking fast bikes and fast cars. Ben, I'm surprised that Harleys don't float your boat they are the ultimate cruisers.

Benman
January 15th, 2007, 16:26
Ben & Klint,

You guys are a rare breed, liking fast bikes and fast cars. Ben, I'm surprised that Harleys don't float your boat they are the ultimate cruisers.

I like fast vehicles period. If I had the skills (and excess $$$) I'd have a jet as well. :applause:

Well guys, ate dump for the first time in a decade. As I've said, it's been real cold here, below freezing in the mornings on my way to work. This morning on my street, hit a 15'x9' patch of ice as I was turning onto a different road... not too good. Luckily it was at very low speeds and saw the ice patch before hitting it and was able to slow down to @ 5mph during the turn before the ice patch. I let off the brakes and tried coasting through the patch, but unfortunately, it didn't quite work out as planned and the bike tipped over.

All well, slow speed spills only bruise egos. :D Only very minor damage to the bike and shouldn't affect the trade in price too much come March. :thumb:

Embarrassing though...:blush:... but on the plus side, I was really keeping an eye out for ice on the freeway! :applause:

Benman
March 5th, 2007, 17:59
Oh...My...

This baby is sweetness redefined!!!

My brother's is the white and silver in the foreground, mine the black one right next to it... I'm speechless...

Klint
March 5th, 2007, 18:27
Hope you don't plan on taking that out in the cold weather!

Leadfoot,

haha wouldn't call us rarebreeds!

Klint
March 5th, 2007, 18:33
oh yes, just an update on my motorcycle progress, have managed to put 1mile onto the Aprilia, got some quick release clips for the side fairings as the screws holding them on has a seldomly found pattern which is no good when you want to top up the oil mixer tank at the petrol station, found that out when taking the battery out of the bike to charge for the fifth time lol

Failed my motorcycle theory test a fortnight ago aswell, so need to get booked in for that again, managed to get 29 out of 35 and you need to get 30 or above to pass, so that was annoying! One of the questions was "What's the legal limit on how wide can a trailer be towed by a motorcycle"? Wasn't impressed!

duncan
March 5th, 2007, 19:36
dump the aprillia mate and go japenese I have a blackbird my self 0-60 in 2.9 and 0-186 in 23 secs ,leave it in the garage for 6 weeks and I know for certain it will start first push of the button

Leadfoot
March 5th, 2007, 21:21
oh yes, just an update on my motorcycle progress, have managed to put 1mile onto the Aprilia, got some quick release clips for the side fairings as the screws holding them on has a seldomly found pattern which is no good when you want to top up the oil mixer tank at the petrol station, found that out when taking the battery out of the bike to charge for the fifth time lol

Failed my motorcycle theory test a fortnight ago aswell, so need to get booked in for that again, managed to get 29 out of 35 and you need to get 30 or above to pass, so that was annoying! One of the questions was "What's the legal limit on how wide can a trailer be towed by a motorcycle"? Wasn't impressed!

I never done the theory test, do you get to see what questions you got wrong?
Answer is 6" more either side of the bike or was it your knees when on bike, something like 36" in total, I would have to check for sure.:thumb:

Benman
March 5th, 2007, 23:45
oh yes, just an update on my motorcycle progress, have managed to put 1mile onto the Aprilia...

Hmm... 1 mile on the Aprilia... have 6700 on the Ninja in same time frame... ;) :D

Sorry about the test, sucks that.

Picked up the Honda Sunday afternoon, already have over 100 miles on it... So, so so sweet...

Leadfoot
March 6th, 2007, 00:01
Hmm... 1 mile on the Aprilia... have 6700 on the Ninja in same time frame... ;) :D

Sorry about the test, sucks that.

Picked up the Honda Sunday afternoon, already have over 100 miles on it... So, so so sweet...

The Honda CBR600 is a quick bike, if you get a chance have a go at a 997Turbo or a F430 but for heaven sake stay clear of those CSLs, they'll destroy you.:D

Joking aside, the Honda is the only bike to have.

Klint
March 6th, 2007, 09:08
I never done the theory test, do you get to see what questions you got wrong?
Answer is 6" more either side of the bike or was it your knees when on bike, something like 36" in total, I would have to check for sure.:thumb:
Turns out to be 3ft 3". instinct told me to go for 4foot 1".

Excellent stuff Ben! More pics of the white and silver colour combo please!

Benman
March 6th, 2007, 22:51
LOL! Yes, the CSL is the only car that scares me!!!:applause:

I'll try to get more pics of my brothers white/silver... so good looking in the sun.

Did I mention how fast these things are? ;) :D

Benman
March 9th, 2007, 15:57
Klint, got some pics, but to post them here, they'd lose too much quality. PM me your email and I'll send you a couple pics of the bikes in the sun.

Hey, what happened to Andy? :D

Klint
March 10th, 2007, 13:39
Klint, got some pics, but to post them here, they'd lose too much quality. PM me your email and I'll send you a couple pics of the bikes in the sun.

Hey, what happened to Andy? :D

Excellent! Pm sent. :D

Benman
March 20th, 2007, 19:01
So... just a wee bit better looking?

AndyBG
March 21st, 2007, 01:05
Here I am ! :thumb:

Nice to see that my thread living so long !

Ben, GREAT BIKE !

Now, please, someone ''KILL'' me by showing here pic's of new white - red R1...

Benman
March 21st, 2007, 23:17
Now, please, someone ''KILL'' me by showing here pic's of new white - red R1...

You mean, this one?

http://www.sportbikez.net/bikepics/1174175885.jpg (***edit*** sorry, not letting you view unless you are a member.)

Seriously Andy, the new 600s are CRAZY fast. The 07'CBR is dyno'ing @111 to the rear wheel! With a "dry" weight of 344lbs that works out to 3.099lbs per hp. That is the same power to weight ratio as a 1999 GSX-R 750!!!

Mags are putting down 0-60 & 1/4 mile times of 2.85 & 10.8 for the new 07' 600... just insanity I tell you.

Really, try a new 600 before you go off and kill yourself on a R1. I could not be happier with my choice, this thing is just insane stupid fast. It is in fact quicker in a straight line than my uncle and my Audi racecar! 1st gear is good for @75mph and 2nd is good for @103mph. I'm telling you, sample a new 600 first. Take time with that, then step up later in the future for a liter bike. The new liter bikes are just completely mad. The new 1K GSX-R is putting nearly 160hp to the rear wheel stock!

AndyBG
March 22nd, 2007, 12:35
Yes, Ben, 600 are very strong and fast, but I have one litle problem...

... I CAN'T PACK ON THE 600 !!! :D :D

I'm 190 cm and 93 kgs, I just fit better on the 1000

Benman
March 22nd, 2007, 15:53
Yes, Ben, 600 are very strong and fast, but I have one litle problem...

... I CAN'T PACK ON THE 600 !!! :D :D

I'm 190 cm and 93 kgs, I just fit better on the 1000

In American terms, you're a small guy. ;)

Seriously, if my math is right, @6',1" and 205lbs is nothing for a 600cc bike. And the "fit" is actually better ergonomic wise on a 07' 600RR vs the 06' 1000RR. Sizewise, they are near identical.

For what it's worth, there is a guy on the 600RR forum who is @6'4" and 300lbs! And yes, he rides a 600. ;)

AndyBG
March 22nd, 2007, 16:54
Oh, then i better shut up ! :hihi:

I think that you are wright about 600s, it's more ''tehnological'' bike, 1000s are more like ''brute poewr''.

Moto GP is now down from 990 ccm to 800 ccm, I think is's clear that in the near future that number is going down, 600, perhaps?

Benman
March 22nd, 2007, 17:03
Don't get me wrong, liter bikes would make awesome street bikes, but that is why I said "I'm telling you, sample a new 600 first. Take time with that, then step up later in the future for a liter bike. "

To go straight from 125cc scooters to a modern day liter bike would madness! Spend some time with a 600, maybe a few months, even a year or two. Then when you go the liter route, you'll be glad you did.

I got to meet up with a 05' R1 owner. He bought it brand new and has not had a wreck. It also happened to be his first bike!!!:bigeyes: Looking back, he said a 600 would have been the smarter route and then later he could have stepped up to the 1K bike. He certainly would be getting more from his R1, that is for sure. :thumb: :bye:

AndyBG
March 22nd, 2007, 17:08
I got to meet up with a 05' R1 owner. He bought it brand new and has not had a wreck. It also happened to be his first bike!!!:bigeyes: Looking back, he said a 600 would have been the smarter route and then later he could have stepped up to the 1K bike. He certainly would be getting more from his R1, that is for sure. :thumb: :bye:

100% wright, i know.

I mast say, that is quite achivement, not to fall down from R1 in your first bike-expirience.

Benman
March 22nd, 2007, 18:00
It just goes to show, some guys have all the luck. ;)

Klint
April 19th, 2007, 18:15
Okay, here's some pics, finally got the bike started :vhmmm: AND finally got round to taking it out for a spin to get some pictures.

Popped down the Aprilia dealer to get a warranty job and that was with 2miles (!!) on the odometer. One of the welds had failed on the exhaust manifold.

Anyway without further adieu here are the pics.

Also, due to local law the bike's restricted to 11hp through some power valve job or something or another on the cdi unit...that wont be the case for much longer. :)

Benman
April 19th, 2007, 20:18
Very nice klint!

Hmm... 2 miles on your Italian Stallian and your first warranty claim... maybe me not getting the Ducatti was a good decision afterall. ;)

People ask me when I may get a Harley... I tell them I like to ride my bike to work, not push it. :applause:

Leadfoot
April 20th, 2007, 14:43
People ask me when I may get a Harley... I tell them I like to ride my bike to work, not push it. :applause:

But Ben, think of the work out you will be getting.:hihi:

Benman
April 21st, 2007, 01:21
But Ben, think of the work out you will be getting.:hihi:

LOL! I'm already 5'10" 160lbs... I don't need to be any thinner mate!

Klint
April 22nd, 2007, 01:38
Very nice klint!

Hmm... 2 miles on your Italian Stallian and your first warranty claim... maybe me not getting the Ducatti was a good decision afterall. ;)

LOL Explains why Harleys are rare breeds around these neck of the woods!

Yeah, was surpised by the weld myself, have the new manifold on order.

Have been advised by some racers not to bother de-restricting the bike, as "the engine's already a ticking time bomb" :O....Wont be going italian for a while then! Guess it's back to the Jap bikes after this one...That's a complete shame though, the bigger brother of my bike looks GREAT! The Aprilia SXV550. Then you have the MV Augusta F4-1000 or the Ducati 1098 etc.

However the 2007 model CBR600RR & Fireblades, the Kwaka Z750 and the 2007 GSXRs look sensational and don't have the italian drawbacks..

Was never keen on those small pipes to begin with in 2006, but now they design the bikes to compliment them and they've done well.

Benman
April 24th, 2007, 15:55
Yeah, was surpised by the weld myself, have the new manifold on order.

Have been advised by some racers not to bother de-restricting the bike, as "the engine's already a ticking time bomb"

Ticking time bomb... not a good thing...

Yes, the Honda is unbelievable. I am so stoked with it's performance. A review for all: http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=4514&Page=1

Notice the quarter mile time/speed! 10.6 and 133mph+!!!! I'm telling you, bikes are getting so fast it is just insanity! And this thing is no trailer queen. Starts up every morning (even sub zero temps), no complaints in bumper to bumper (although filtering helps ;)) and returns great fuel economy considering the insane performance. Klint, you could not possibly go worng with the Big Red!:cheers:

Tanner88
May 16th, 2007, 19:12
Well Honda of course. There is a CBR 600RR in my garage...:thumb:

Benman
May 17th, 2007, 23:12
Well Honda of course. There is a CBR 600RR in my garage...:thumb:

Congrats! New 07'?

And welcome to the forum BTW.:cheers:

Tanner88
May 18th, 2007, 07:46
Congrats! New 07'?

And welcome to the forum BTW.:cheers:

Thank you very much! :cheers: No, it's 06' but it's good enough for me! :)

Klint
June 25th, 2007, 23:22
Ben,

How's the 600RR?

We're still waiting for a new exhaust manifold on the Aprilia - The warranty claim has been accepted but the part hasn't been dispatched. Still only has 35 or so miles on the odo. Unfortunately, i've been too busy to ride/get insured on it. :(

Since then we're aquired a Honda Varadero #2, the first we traded in on the Aprilia, that only had 130miles completed in the four years we had it. This one's slightly different as it's the 2007 in Silver - that comes with the electronic fuel injection, still only a 125 though. Don't expect pics any time soon!

So, the count so far:

2002 Honda SH125 Four Stroke Moped
2002 Honda XLR125 Road legal Motorcrosser (100 or so miles completed!)
2006 Aprilia MX125
2007 Honda Varadero 125 Silver. Probally wont get used either.

Also, have come across my first motorbike - the 99 Honda 125 Cityfly parked not far from where i am, tempted to buy it back as there's still alot of nostalgic memories with it - shame it's rusted alot since i had it :(

Benman
June 26th, 2007, 00:01
Ben,

How's the 600RR?

We're still waiting for a new exhaust manifold on the Aprilia...

Klint :cheers:

Had never even heard of the Honda Varadero before your post, had to google it. Has the Firehawk engine in it, nice. The bike is in the same class as the Suzuki V Storm, I like those. We get half of what the Euro boys do...

If I understand correctly, yours is a 125cc version, still cool. Also, never heard of the City Fly either... I do like the new 125RR, very nice. Again, not available in the States. I really want one for my wife to learn on.

As for the 600RR, it is simply A.W.E.S.O.M.E. I can't sing high enough praises for it. Again, for those that missed it, here's a review: http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=4514 The #s say it all, 1/4mile: 10.60 @ 133.7 mph

Right now, I just passed the 8000 mile mark. Zero issues with the bike, but I have had a really bad spout of piss poor luck. Three flats in 40 days... On the bright side, none resulted in a crash.

Again, the bike is flawless. I really wanted a Duc 1098, but after reading your Aprilia adventures, combined with my pure love for this BEAST, I have zero regrets and could not even imagine owning a liter bike... although if Honda ever made a 800RR... ;) :hahahehe:

Ben

***edit*** fixed link

AndyBG
June 28th, 2007, 18:12
Ben, you are totaly ''twoo wheeler'' in this moment... :thumb:

Benman
June 28th, 2007, 19:28
Ben, you are totaly ''twoo wheeler'' in this moment... :thumb:

No doubt!:cheers:

In fact, the :rs6kiss: unfortunately spends most if it's time just sitting in the garage...:cry: The wife has her car, me, my 600RR and on the weekends it is just too much hassle to change over the kids car seat every time... But the bike...:heart:

Klint
August 14th, 2007, 15:22
Just an update.

After all that f**king around, four months or so? - Aprilia have decided not to warrant a new exhaust manifold (the bike had under four miles on the odometer when the hole appeared!)

However the dealer has suggested as a goodwill gesture to weld the hole free of charge.

What a pain, this is our first Aprilia and will most likely be the last.

Anyway on the flip side, has anyone seen the BMW Xmoto and the Hypermoto? They look good!

How many miles on the RR, Ben?

Klint
August 14th, 2007, 15:29
Klint :cheers:

Had never even heard of the Honda Varadero before your post, had to google it. Has the Firehawk engine in it, nice. The bike is in the same class as the Suzuki V Storm, I like those. We get half of what the Euro boys do...

If I understand correctly, yours is a 125cc version, still cool. Also, never heard of the City Fly either... I do like the new 125RR, very nice. Again, not available in the States. I really want one for my wife to learn on.

Ben

***edit*** fixed link

Google CLR125, that's the Cityfly, was a great bike - regret selling that.

Don't know what the Firehawk is? i'll google that.

Klint
October 25th, 2007, 17:55
Okay, just a quick update.

Went to the dealer and told him that we weren't happy that a brand new bike has a weld failure and started to state that if the part was a suspension or brake component someone could of been killed. So, he got on the case to get a new exhaust. in the meantime, one of the side panels had fallen off, traced back my steps to see where it went, no luck. The dealer wants $190 for a plastic fearing no more bigger than a briefcase!

Also, having been riding the bike for sometime. i noticed at 100 miles another number went up 1, and the odometer went back to zero. BUT this other number went from 3 to 4? This clearly says the bike had 300 miles on the odometer upon purchase! Not only that, the service light has popped up at 65 miles, this is truely getting rediculous.

The bike's currently at the dealer and should of been ready for Tuesday afternoon.

Got oursevles a new bike this week, that'll be trailered around (as i'm still in the process of taking lessons). The bikes a BMW G650 X Country.

Also, bought some new RST trousers, and some Weise race gloves with knox protection on the palms.

RussianM3_dude
October 25th, 2007, 19:06
I am really tempted by the new RR. I had the previous model and really miss it. I love the Ducs and MVs, but untill they come out with smaller output engines I just won't buy one. I know that I suck at riding and don't want to increase the risk any further.

AndyBG
October 26th, 2007, 00:33
Honda CBR 600 RR is sweet ride... :thumb:

Code_2025
October 26th, 2007, 05:08
Kawasaki for the rough yeeeehaaaaaaaa

Benman
October 29th, 2007, 19:52
Klint:cheers: ,

The BMW G650 X Country looks to be a great bike. I'm not overly into nakeds as the wind buffeting at freeway speeds is more uncomfortable compared to the full faired bikes.

And yes, for goodness sakes, get rid of the Italian Stallion!!! I can not believe all the issues you have had with that! Amazing!

I now have 16,500 miles on the 600RR and have had ZERO problems of any kind (other than all the flat tires). A truely great bike, and I have zero regrets.

Euro bikes may have more "soul" but pale compared to the reliability of the work horse Hondas. The very best of two wheel action. Bar none.

And I finally found something I agree with Russian M3 Dude on! Just goes to show, never say never!!!:applause:

Oh, and Code 2025, the new Kawis are sweet, very impressed with them. And I am thinking of getting the wifey the all new (finally) Ninja 250R, very nice looking but a tad disappointing that they made it heavier...

RussianM3_dude
October 30th, 2007, 13:06
Well, who needs "soul" on a sports motorcycle, it's all about the adrenaline. Too often "soul" is an excuse for poor craftsmanship.

Anyway, I am a big 600RR fan, I think it also makes a good learner bike. Despite the potential performance, it's pretty much a pussy-cat if you go easy on it and has very stable handling. You can really learn on it and won't have to sell it 3 months down the road like a 250cc bike. Looks ace too, easily the best of the Japs. The new RR is also significantly updated, if I am correct, it went from the heaviest to the lightest 600 Jap I4 with the ne generation.

Benman
October 30th, 2007, 14:45
Well, who needs "soul" on a sports motorcycle, it's all about the adrenaline. Too often "soul" is an excuse for poor craftsmanship.

Agree 100%.:cheers:

Anyway, I am a big 600RR fan, I think it also makes a good learner bike. Despite the potential performance, it's pretty much a pussy-cat if you go easy on it and has very stable handling. You can really learn on it and won't have to sell it 3 months down the road like a 250cc bike.

Depends on ones level of self control. :D

Looks ace too, easily the best of the Japs. The new RR is also significantly updated, if I am correct, it went from the heaviest to the lightest 600 Jap I4 with the ne generation.
Correct, it went from the heaviest to lightest. I can honestly say it is very well mannered and handles like a dream for heavy commuting (lane sharing or "filtering" as they say on the other side of the pond).

I don't know if I'd recommend it for a first time bike (especially if the person is small) but it is forgiving if one uses common sense. The all new CBR1000RR is coming out. The looks are still growing on me, but it will be a screamer. 440lbs wet, 170hp+ to the wheels...:eye: :bigeyes:

As it is, even the new 600RR does 75mph in first and 102mph in second!!! :D

Benman
October 30th, 2007, 14:52
Also, saw this thread:

Anybody into bikes?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I used to have a 2003 Honduh 600RR repainted into a Repsol replica. Great bike but I sold it due to the overzealous Fourth Reich Swiss speed enforcement. However I miss riding a lot and am always thinking about getting another one. I love the Ducs and Mvs, but their current machines are too powerfull. I am thinking either a 848Duc/600ccMV or maybe something more relaxed like a HD VRod Sports or a Buell or a BMW bike. Any other bikers here?

I'd have to say you would really enjoy the all new upcoming 848. Over at 600rr.net there are several 600RR owners looking at getting the 848. Me, I like loooooooow maintenance so will be sticking with the 600RR. There are a few over there that also have the 1098. Sickening sweet looking in real life, but the complaints are that it is definately a better track bike than a street bike. The ergonomics aren't half what the CBR is, seating, hand and back position, are all race inspired. Awesome for track days, not so hot for actual everyday riding.

As for the VRod, I've heard good things about it, but a little "too" relaxed for me.

RussianM3_dude
October 30th, 2007, 16:08
I am looking mostly to pose and live the biker "lifestyle" (revving at the lights, a chick in a thong on the back of the bike, walking around town in a Ducati leather jacket.) anything else is simply impossible in Switzerland and I don't have time for track days (no tracks in Switzerland.).

Benman
October 30th, 2007, 23:36
I am looking mostly to pose and live the biker "lifestyle" (revving at the lights, a chick in a thong on the back of the bike, walking around town in a Ducati leather jacket.)

LOL!!!:applause:

If so, then do NOT get the 848 as it is the exact same bike as the 1098 minus engine and tranny so would kill your back after a few short months of ownership. If just Ducati cruising is your style, then: http://www.ducati.com/en/bikes/my2007/FamilyPage.jhtml?family=Monster

much more comfortable for riding two up (i.e. chicks with thongs on the back. ;)) and a member here already has one so you could get livability feedback from him.

RussianM3_dude
November 9th, 2007, 12:08
The 2008 Ducs are IN!!!!!! 848, 1098R and BRAND NEW 696 Monster. Giggedy-giggedy oh YEAH!!!! Humina-humina!!! The Monster in particular looks like an MV Brutale but for half the price. The 848 has the power to weight of an outgoing 999. It's..... ALIIIIIIIVE!!!!!!

Benman
November 9th, 2007, 18:55
For those that want to see some great pics of the new Ducatis:

http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=91871&highlight=ducati+848

Scroll down...

Benman
November 27th, 2007, 22:29
Went down...

Kinda sucked. After two years and 35,000 miles of riding, got hit by a car. Was lane sharing (legal in this state) and a car decided to change lanes without signaling. My front impacted against his front right side and went over the hood then sliding along the freeway. Bike flipped and then slid till it hit the side guard rail. Wasn't too bad as traffic was crawling (@10mph and I was @30mph) and as always, was wearing full gear so I'm fine.

Remember boys and girls, ALWAYS wear full gear! Should be back on two wheels in a few weeks after bike gets fixed. Due to insurance reasons, won't be posting pics. ;)

Klint
November 27th, 2007, 22:45
Sorry to hear Ben, but glad you walked away! Defintely a heart stopper of a moment when the bike goes from underneath you!

Feel free to e-mail the pics in the strictest confidence of course.

RussianM3_dude
November 27th, 2007, 22:48
Yeah, gear is a must. No ifs or buts.

AndyBG
November 27th, 2007, 23:51
Went down...

Kinda sucked. After two years and 35,000 miles of riding, got hit by a car. Was lane sharing (legal in this state) and a car decided to change lanes without signaling. My front impacted against his front right side and went over the hood then sliding along the freeway. Bike flipped and then slid till it hit the side guard rail. Wasn't too bad as traffic was crawling (@10mph and I was @30mph) and as always, was wearing full gear so I'm fine.

Remember boys and girls, ALWAYS wear full gear! Should be back on two wheels in a few weeks after bike gets fixed. Due to insurance reasons, won't be posting pics. ;)

Sorry to hear this...

Glad to see that you are OK. :thumb:

Benman
November 28th, 2007, 17:54
Klint, no prob. You can PM me your email and I'll send em' to ya'.:cheers:

Can't wait to get it fixed. I have my first track day on it in a few months. Kinda of worked out for the good. Now, since it ain't mint, I can balls out on the track as now I won't mind going down and scratching it. :D:applause:

RussianM3_dude
November 28th, 2007, 18:23
I would never ride a bike in the States. Not even in many countries in Europe. In US people are just not as used to dealing with 2 wheeled traffic.

Benman
December 3rd, 2007, 20:08
I would never ride a bike in the States. Not even in many countries in Europe. In US people are just not as used to dealing with 2 wheeled traffic.

Actually, I would never ride a motorcycle in Italy!!! After spending a little time in Milan, I was amazed I didn't see any motorcyclist go down during my stay there! Those guys (including mopeds and scooters) are crazy the way they zip through traffic!!! :bigeyes:

Ben

RussianM3_dude
December 3rd, 2007, 20:12
Yeah, Milan is crazy. I was driving around without any maps and GPS... chaos.

Klint
December 15th, 2007, 15:38
Ben,

How's the bike coming along?

ben916
June 24th, 2008, 00:22
Had a 1992 Honda VFR in Black with the single sided swing arm and the V4. Can anyone say HEAVY? 550 lbs of heavy... Purchased new in 1994 as it sat on the showroom floor for 2 years. The sound was intoxicating and it got up and scooted away.
Then a Ducati 900 passed me and I could hear it over my engine and helmet.
I had a rare demo of a 1995 900 SS SP from Ducati on Bel Red Rd in Bellevue, WA. The hook sunk really deep on that one. It was so freaking skinny and that sound! Did I mention it was about 125 lb lighter?
Then in Oct 1995, purchase a 1995 916. It was great until the fuel management ("the brain") went out while riding at 9PM at night up a hill. This was the time when Ducati was looking for a financial partner and TPG purchased a majority of Ducati. Needless to say, Ferraci sent a 906 brain, not gonna work on a 916. Then they sent a race 916 brain, not gonna work for single injector versus race dual injector. After a month Ducati got a new 916 brain in and I was somewhat better.

Yeah, it isn't the fastest nor is it the most horsepower or lightest but it sure makes up for it in style, quality, innovation, forward thinking.

I really don't care for the new 999, 1098, 848 styling. It is almost like the designers are trying too hard.

my opinion, whats yours?

The Pretender
June 24th, 2008, 10:02
I like the new Ducati 1098 S.

http://www.ducati.com/od/ducatibenelux/nl/galleries/img/img8,389_23,442.jpg

Jarod.

jasaretta
June 24th, 2008, 16:14
I'll take my Ducati Monster S4Rs over any Japanese bike. Way more soul ;)

Benman
June 24th, 2008, 18:17
my opinion, whats yours?

I am with Pretender. Love the new Ducks (but agree with you on the 999s). Of course, the 916/996s are just classic.:heart:

And yes Jasaretta, the Monsters are fantastic. But then, I have always wanted to ride more than actually work on a bike. Just see Klint's experience when it comes to Italian bikes. ;)

ben916
June 25th, 2008, 18:54
... I have always wanted to ride more than actually work on a bike...

Very true, when they go wrong it is very wrong... but that is with any high performance vehicle, hence this site...

Oh and service was every 3000 miles :( :mech:

The 916, as with most if not all Ducatis, has a dry clutch. I put a carbon vented clutch cover with Tergmignoni slip-ons and it was very loud. Not like Harley loud but loud enough that people would tell me that there is something wrong with my bike... These symphonic notes would help in splitting traffic or passing on the freeway or parking structures, etc.

Then Marchesini magnesium 5 spokes and full floating cast iron rotors topped things off. Not the aluminum ones, the magnesium ones... Then changed the steering angle... It cornered better than what I was willing to trust in my tires.

Michaël Barbé
June 25th, 2008, 19:49
Yamaha for superbikes and Honda for supermotards. KTM also has some nice things (supermotard, superbike AND X-box:bigeyes: )

Oh, and don't forget to mention Ducati superbikes: they are doing very good these days!!

MB
:rs6kiss:

ben916
June 25th, 2008, 21:44
MB, thank you for reminding me of the supermotards, It would be either the KTM or the Aprilia on that, especially since gasoline is headed up not down...

Has anyone seen those photos of Ruben Xaus trail braking the Ducati Hypertard 1098 with the case near scraping on the ground?!?! Yikes!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL9pV0TMa2Q

Klint
June 26th, 2008, 09:56
This is the current day poster spec Ducati. :)

http://www.ducati.com/en/bikes/my2008/ModelPage.jhtml?family=DesmosediciRR&model=D16RR-08

ben916
June 26th, 2008, 16:51
:heart:

That is quite a bike! I remember Bimoto 500 V-Due that came out about in 1999 and it was nearly complete failure due to the fuel injection...

http://www.bikez.com/pictures/bimota/1999/4516_0_1_2_500%20v-due_Image%20credits%20-%20K.o.B.jpg

Klint
August 27th, 2009, 23:19
Any new updates here?

Currently rolling on a 2008 FZ1 Naked for the summer and a BMW G450X Enduro during the winter.

Klint
August 27th, 2009, 23:28
FZ1 - It's definitely hardcore holding on to the bike, with no fairing on the dark side of 120mph..! Still have sore shoulders and neck muscles from the weekends efforts...
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs119.snc1/4866_216877735423_559695423_7267886_5261264_n.jpg

Full titanium Akrapovic exhaust install.
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs020.snc1/3043_187500240423_559695423_6542086_3172547_n.jpg
http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs109.snc1/4635_202592945423_559695423_6901687_289616_n.jpg
Can't forget the now collectors item Japanese imported 1994 Honda Dax 50 bored out to 80cc with KYB suspension and real carbon exhaust!
http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs119.snc1/4866_216400100423_559695423_7253768_2183613_n.jpg
http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs119.snc1/4866_216400105423_559695423_7253769_6514335_n.jpg

Benman
August 28th, 2009, 00:58
Excellent pics Klint!

And you are right! This thread DOES need updates! :)

AndyBG
August 28th, 2009, 13:00
:hihi: I started all this, but nothing from me...

I was lookin' some Ducati 848 few days ago... I was very close to buy it... I just love it...

Benman
August 28th, 2009, 19:05
:hihi: I started all this, but nothing from me...

I was lookin' some Ducati 848 few days ago... I was very close to buy it... I just love it...

Those are absolutely stunningly beautifull bikes, I LOVE the look of those...

However, I SERIOUSLY doubt I would have piled 53K trouble free miles in a little over two years on a Duc. ;)

Klint
August 29th, 2009, 13:53
Reminds me, recently took a Ducati streetfighter S out for a blast....great bike and what a way to pop my V-Twin virginity!

ben916
August 31st, 2009, 22:06
Those are absolutely stunningly beautifull bikes, I LOVE the look of those...

However, I SERIOUSLY doubt I would have piled 53K trouble free miles in a little over two years on a Duc. ;)

More likely $53k on maintaining it and tires... :)

Benman
September 1st, 2009, 18:19
More likely $53k on maintaining it and tires... :)

BWAHAHA!!! So true! :D

R1
September 4th, 2009, 12:06
hmnn favorite Japanese bike

i'll go with Honda as #2 and Yamaha as #1 - why? because I currently own an R1, I've sold my 954 a couple of years back

for Italian - I'll go with the Duc - I love those single sided swing arms

Rug
September 8th, 2009, 19:36
Check this one out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpQP4v_Z0nQ&feature=fvw

Amazing:hahahehe:

chairman2300
September 21st, 2009, 15:46
I have owned 3 different sportbikes. 1. 1998 Buell X1 fun 0-75, no power after(guess you cant call this a superbike or Japanese). Totally stripped down, new ecu. 2. 2003 CBR 600 bone stock. Fun, still not enough power. 3. I currently own a 2000 Suzuki GSXR 750, 2000 superbike of the year. Highly Moded up to 200HP. I cant keep the front end on the ground wot through 3rd. The powerband on this bike is unreal. I have to fight to stay on half the time above 10,000 RPMs. I eat R1s all day. The Busa is another story. Its a great race, but I have yet to beat one.

AndyBG
February 12th, 2013, 21:49
Man, how long ago was when I started this thread! :)

ben916
March 8th, 2013, 23:16
Finally found mine that I sold in 2001 for a house...

http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx318/ben916_rs6/Ducati%20916/1995ducati916.jpg