PDA

View Full Version : Transmission of RS6

Erik
November 11th, 2002, 22:04
What would you prefer:?:

Erik
November 11th, 2002, 22:41
Still like these paddles below. Looking forward to the discussion :argue: about which gearbox YOU prefer and why.

What does RS6 drivers think? Is the tiptronic a set-back?

Everybody who reads a lot of magazines. What is your impression?

Let me know!

kye
November 12th, 2002, 10:31
my opinion:
the tiptronic is perfect for the everydayuse of the car
for *very* sportive driving it has its drawbacks even if i have to say that the tiptronic is very good (example: it shift gears even when in manual modus automatic when the rpmlimit is reached and its slightly slower then very fast manual shifting)

schvetkaaks
November 12th, 2002, 17:51
perfect choice for me is some form of tiptronic with paddles, just like the RS6 - have too much stop-and-go traffic for a standard transmission, and the paddles are nice to have when you want to override the tip for a quick acceleration or last-minute race! :addict:

keke
November 12th, 2002, 18:06
Don't forget that with a manual transmission you have to shift very quickly if you want good acceleration,you have to clutch very hardly but with a automatic transmission you can make a full acceleration really easily.It' s the reason why i prefer automatic transmission because we are not each day on a racetrack:addict:

Frank
November 13th, 2002, 16:01
The tip-tronic gearbox is wonderful as long as you are driving on the highway or autobahn. :D *little swenglish* Inspired driving isn't the most amusing with the automatic gearbox. I'm driving a Passat Highline with the tiptroic so I haven't tested "the paddles" yet. :(

kind regards Calle

Erik
November 13th, 2002, 16:55
I've tested the button type tiptronic.
Quite often actually, since I have it on my car (A6 2.7TQ) and enjoy it every time I need to go faster :D

I have tested to drive on race track with it and it works fine, but if I liked to go very fast I'd prefer a manual of course.
Just took the tiptronic because most of my driving is among heavy traffic.

Mine is chipped, so the tiptronic program has been changed as well.

Got the 17" studded winter tyres on today, :squared: hmmm I think the car goes faster now :D but the ride is not as firm as I like it

Erik
November 13th, 2002, 21:29
I think one of the main reasons why Audi chose to use the W12 gearbox is it can handle the power and torque.

Check here for reasons good as any not to have a manual with a powerful engine.

BMW M5 Clutch (http://www.bmwm5.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24044)

Standard question to any M5 owner could be:

How many cluthes did you replace?

Why is the manual M5 slower than the RS6-auto on Nurburgring?

Mohahahaha :360:

MountainAudi
November 14th, 2002, 01:41
Call me nerdy, but you didn't include the variable ratio tranny. I know it's nowhere up to the RS6 torque requirements, but I thought I read that the only one that did meet them was the 5 speed auto.

When I was test driving US Audi's two years ago I was disapointed with the turbo/automatic combination on every model they made, the torque variations caused by turbo lag combined with the auto shifting was real disappointing.

But I can't count the number of things that at first blush I didn't like about a given car that I later became accustomed to and excepted. We mold to our cars a great deal; sensations we ignore in one vehicle become important queues in another. We'd all be crappy drivers if we were unable to ajust our biases. I want to drive the car as opposed to have it drive me.

So when it comes to a review of the RS6 vs the M5, I am much more interested in knowing the opinions of someone who is intimately familiar with Audi technologies and biases. Knowing the thoughts of someone that spends most of their time in a BMW type car won't give me much of an indication of how I'll like an RS6.

gnomik007
December 5th, 2002, 16:53
I would preffer something like the SMG box on beemers.I had a drive in the latest M3 and have to say that the only thing i like in M3 more than in my :addict: is the box.It just feels as if you have much more control over the transmission.

However,the RS paddles are fun too:trans:

Thilo
December 6th, 2002, 09:50
Has anybody seen a picture of the 4-spoke multifunctional steering wheel with tiptronic controls ? There is no picture available on the audi webpage :confused:

Is there any reason not to choose this steering wheel. Except of the price ?

Erik
December 6th, 2002, 09:59
Originally posted by Thilo
Has anybody seen a picture of the 4-spoke multifunctional steering wheel with tiptronic controls ? There is no picture available on the audi webpage :confused:

Is there any reason not to choose this steering wheel. Except of the price ?

I had a picture which was taken in some car show in Australia.
That RS6 had the 4-spoke steering wheel, not sure about the paddles.

I'll see if I can find it, it should be in one of the few first post on the forum.

I wouldn't order it because it's sportier not to, but depending on how you drive it might be a good idea.

Thilo
December 6th, 2002, 10:07
Originally posted by Erik B

I had a picture which was taken in some car show in Australia.
That RS6 had the 4-spoke steering wheel, not sure about the paddles.

I'll see if I can find it, it should be in one of the few first post on the forum.

I wouldn't order it because it's sportier not to, but depending on how you drive it might be a good idea.

I thought it's a good idea because of the cell phone control and the stereo control !

Erik
December 6th, 2002, 10:43
Originally posted by Thilo
I thought it's a good idea because of the cell phone control and the stereo control !

I'd rather have control of the car ;)

Here is the picture by the way, from Sydney 2002: