PDA

View Full Version : Audi in F1

clam
February 20th, 2006, 11:49
The rumour is back. It has been flying around ever since Audi dumped millions in the 'relatively' unknown LM races. It's not unlikely that it was just practice. Toyota did the same before they entered F1.

Now Jordan suggests that Schumacher might start his own team with Audi.

Schumacher 'could start F1 team'

Michael Schumacher could launch his own Formula One team when his contract at Ferrari expires at the end of the season, according to Eddie Jordan.
The German, 37, has made it clear he would like to maintain some involvement in the sport when he decides to retire.

And Jordan, who gave Schumacher his F1 debut in 1991, believes the seven-time champion is already planning a launch.

He told F1 Racing magazine: "I believe the idea of Michael starting his own team is being discussed."

Jordan believes Schumacher's reputation would make him a powerful name in the sport, adding: "Michael would open doors that other people find locked.

"I wouldn't be surprised if he encouraged Volkswagen - perhaps using their Audi brand - to come to Formula One."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/4726844.stm

eazy
February 20th, 2006, 12:33
I hope this won't happen. I don't like formula 1.
Too far away from streetcars, in my opinion.

I would prefer a rally- or wtcc-audi-team.
But that's only my 2 cents.

greetings

eazy

Benman
February 20th, 2006, 15:45
Originally posted by eazy
I hope this won't happen. I don't like formula 1.

eazy

I love F1, but hate how corupt it is becoming. The lords of it (MM an BE) are idiots not satisfied with the incredible amount of power they already possess. And it seems likely to get worse as time goes on.

So I'm torn. Should Audi waste Hundreds of MILLIONS of $$$ EACH year on an F1 program or spend a fraction of that and continue to DOMINATE Le Mans style racing? Seems like an easy choice... but then F1 is very tempting.

I'll say, go with eazy and save the $$$. Maybe offer repeat customers discounts instead.:D

Ben:addict:

CarbonFibre
February 20th, 2006, 16:54
These rumors keep circulating, but as things say Audi wouldn't do something like this until 2008 at the earliest (as engine supplier). They just came out with the R10 for the 2006 season, so I can't really see them entering F1 in any form by 2008. Eventually we may see them privatize the R10s they do make and join in F1 if the price is right (or if there is a breakaway series which I doubt).

I am in total agreement about the sad state of affairs in F1. Although this 2006 season may prove to be one of the best in a long time (it looks like it'll be hotly contested), the sport is going in directions I do not approve of.
I also hate that most tracks are barely making any money (usually losing money) and can't afford renovations and yet Bernie and his goons are swimming in millions.
The very rules they have been implementing to "cut costs" have been doing very much the opposite, and certain things like switching to one-race tires and then back again are just ludicrous.
The alienation of Michelin is another whole despicable issue, and I don't agree in a control tire being implemented either. Although this could cut costs for the tire manufacturers as well as in tire testing, the competitive spirit of F1 is compromised with just one tire as the tire manufacturer will be content with lazy development w/o any competition. In the current situation, I'm sure both manufacturers are frantically striving for the best possible performance through a bunch of R&D, and progress is made. To take that away is something I can't agree with. I could talk about this stuff all day, but I'm supposed to be working on other things, and I'd just be rambling.

PS: Here's an article I really like from last year talking about how cutting costs in F1 is next to impossible.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns15592.html

Duma
February 20th, 2006, 19:07
interesting...

AndyBG
February 20th, 2006, 21:58
Originally posted by Benman
Should Audi waste Hundreds of MILLIONS of $$$ EACH year on an F1 program or spend a fraction of that and continue to DOMINATE Le Mans style racing?
Ben:addict: [/B]

You should not be woried, they now what to do with their money. If they see interest, they will get it, if not, they will not get ivolved in somethig non-profitable, simple as that.

Benman
February 20th, 2006, 22:21
Originally posted by AndyBG
You should not be woried, they now what to do with their money. If they see interest, they will get it, if not, they will not get ivolved in somethig non-profitable, simple as that.
I know that Audi is a lot smarter than one/ a couple of person(s).

My point was just that right now, F1 is a total political nightmare (as Carbon also sees it). Tracks not making money, fans getting screwed and yet the powers that be could care less, with their "After all, plenty of other countries are willing to fork over the bucks so who needs you" attitude.

I'd like to see Audi focus on where they're at. But then again, true enough, it is their $$$. so they can spend it as they wish.:cheers:

5000S old skool
March 13th, 2006, 03:48
If you think about it..

Formula one is the only realm left for Audi to conquer...

Rally (check)
Touring Car (check)
GT (check)
Le Mans (check)
DTM (check)
Sebring (check)
Formula One ( )

Benman
March 13th, 2006, 14:50
Originally posted by 5000S old skool
If you think about it..

Formula one is the only realm left for Audi to conquer...

Rally (check)
Touring Car (check)
GT (check)
Le Mans (check)
DTM (check)
Sebring (check)
Formula One ( )

You know, that's a good point. It's the only thing left for them. Well, that and NASCAR!:trash: :D

Bingocaller
March 13th, 2006, 15:49
Thats would be so awesome!

Schumi as head of team and "finally" Tom K in F1 :D

See now that would be a dream scenario :race:

Skaala
March 27th, 2006, 21:45
it would be cool with a Audi F1 Quattro car:mech:

MR USER
April 13th, 2006, 10:04
There are so many dreamers in the thread!!! It's fantastic how much love to cars and sport is displayed here... I'm moved and about to cry :cry:

We are keeping F1 and all other motorsports alive with this much passion!!!

BTW F1 is the highest expression of technical developement and technology in the whole motorsport world. some likes it other don't but we are all benefitting form it in one way or another. without it we would drive much worst and less secure, not to talk about performances...

Klint
April 14th, 2006, 20:38
I'm sceptical about it, but hey! Who knows! We heard it here first!

Leadfoot
April 15th, 2006, 20:11
I reckon the only way you will see Audi in F1 is if the rules change and allow diesels or 4-wheel drive to compete. Two things very important to Audi's globel sales.

Anyway why Audi and not Lambo or Volkswagen itself. Hell they could just put decals on the Veyron and enter it (stock).

Enough of the jokes, Audi could enter but remember BMW, they have put alot of money into F1 with very little fruits in return. If they do enter it is for the long haul and we the customer will pay for this success if it comes.

I think this year's Le mans with the R10 TDi might put the seeds of competing in Audi's mind. If they win, anything possible. Who here would have thought that diesels would be allow in the Le Mans series and stand a very good chance of winning, funnier things have happen, :harass: Tony Blair three times PM.

eazy
April 15th, 2006, 21:10
In my mind audis win at le mans this year should be safe.
The real competitor is coming to le mans next year: peugeot with his diesel car

greetings

eazy

SoCal
April 19th, 2006, 09:53
F1 epitomizes racing and motor sport, but is becoming too rigid, narrow, controlled and timid. But that's not why Audi will avoid it; reason is b/c cost is too high for the return.

Le Mans series and R10 already give Audi enough racing cachet plus R&D that is more relevant to the development and marketing of production cars. :race: Only exception would be if there were a breakaway team with independent backing using Audi engines. Could happen in theory, but not holding my breath. And more likely to happen with factory support under Lambo nameplate rather than Audi's for diversity and prestige: direct "Italian" challenge to Ferrari.

Leadfoot
April 19th, 2006, 14:45
SoCal,

My point exactly.