PDA

View Full Version : Audi Roadjet Concept

eazy
January 9th, 2006, 09:57
Audi shows a new concept called "Audi Roadjet Concept" on the Detroit motor show.

It has an 3.2 litre FSI-engine with 300bhp and an 7-speed DSG.
It seems as the new DSG is nearly ready for production :)

If you ask me, the car looks not the best but the technology is :0:

http://www.fourtitude.com/news/uploads/Audi_News/001__scaled_600_055.jpg

http://www.fourtitude.com/news/uploads/Audi_News/002__scaled_600_046.jpg

http://www.fourtitude.com/news/uploads/Audi_News/007__scaled_600_024.jpg

http://www.fourtitude.com/news/uploads/Audi_News/008__scaled_600_021.jpg

The car has the bang & olufsen audio-system from the a8 with 1000 watt.

Nice feature:
The Roadjet Concept does not have traditional sun visors; instead, this function is performed by the use of Vari-Light technology along the upper edge of the windscreen: the degree of transparency of the glass – and therefore of light screening – can be varied electrically, thus enabling the driver to prevent any undesirable glare.

http://www.fourtitude.com/news/uploads/Audi_News/020__scaled_600_007.jpg

Average fuel consumption: 10.4 litres at 100 kilometres.

http://www.fourtitude.com/news/uploads/Audi_News/006__scaled_600_026.jpg

Audi drive select
Only a minority of car owners can afford the luxury of having three cars parked in front of their house to give them maximum flexibility in choosing the right car for every occasion, depending on whether comfort, manoeuvrability or dynamic behaviour is what they require. The Audi Roadjet Concept fulfils all these requirements in a single car. Because Audi drive select allows the driver to preselect three highly distinctive configurations for the engine, transmission characteristic, steering and shock absorbers. The result is a car that can be enjoyed in three utterly different ways.
More on this feature and the complete article on fourtitude:
http://www.fourtitude.com/news/publish/Audi_News/article_1912.shtml

Benman
January 9th, 2006, 18:02
Exterior and interior both are clean and a nice evolution from current designs.

Front headlights look a little too much like the Acura TSX though...

Ben:addict:

Iceman
January 9th, 2006, 19:51
The only thing interesting is the new 300 hp 3.2 litre V6 FSI engine.

wfg, Hans.

eazy
January 9th, 2006, 19:57
Originally posted by Iceman
The only thing interesting is the new 300 hp 3.2 litre V6 FSI engine.

wfg, Hans.
And what's with the "audi drive select"?
If i understand it right it is something like the sport-button in an carrera, isn't it?
An that in an audi :applause:

alex_s3
January 10th, 2006, 16:42
It looks like an BMW 1-series, just much cooler ;)

Iceman
January 10th, 2006, 16:44
Originally posted by alex_s3
It looks like an BMW 1-series, just much cooler ;)
It is a lot bigger (4.70m') than the BMW 1 serie.

wfg, Hans.

Finnus
January 10th, 2006, 17:10
Where does this fit size-wise in the A3,4,5,6 lineup?

Finnus
:addict:

Iceman
January 10th, 2006, 17:14
Originally posted by Finnus
Where does this fit size-wise in the A3,4,5,6 lineup?

Finnus
Between the A4 and A6 as a Q5.

wfg, Hans.

nene
January 10th, 2006, 17:34
Looks to me like an A3 replacement.

rks838
January 10th, 2006, 17:37
Edmunds.com says it is a new model to fit between the A3 and the A4, and that's what it looks like to me. I know the US doesn't have a market for this car, so it won't be coming here. Does Audi need this car in Europe?

Iceman
January 10th, 2006, 17:50
[i] Does Audi need this car in Europe? [/B]
Not between the A3 and A4.
Further it is bigger than the current A4.
So it will fit between the A4 and A6.

wfg, Hans

QuattroFun
January 10th, 2006, 18:07
Yes, it is slightly bigger than current A4 a7 4.70m - but B8 A4 is reportedly supposed to be some 10cm longer than the current A4 of some 4.6m. So, we could well be looking at a concept interpretation of the upcoming B8 A4/A5...

rks838
January 10th, 2006, 18:09
So it's essentially an A5-size wagon...if that's the Q5, which from what I understand is being built mainly for the North American market, nobody here is going to buy it. IMHO it looks odd, and as we've just shown, it doesn't really have a clear identity.

clam
January 10th, 2006, 20:19
The 3.2 FSI V6 with Audi valvelift system

The 3.2 V6 FSI – which features as a basic engine with an output of 255 bhp in the Audi A8, A6 and A4 – displays all the characteristics of an ultramodern petrol engine: FSI petrol direct injection with demand-controlled fuel supply, four valves per cylinder and highly effective exhaust emission control.

FSI engines develop superior power and dynamism to conventional units with indirect manifold injection – and they do so with a very high stand-ard of fuel economy. With this remarkable achievement, Audi is opening up a new dimension in the efficiency of standard petrol engines, demonstrating once again the brand’s proverbial “Vorsprung durch Technik”.

The FSI petrol direct injection system confirmed its unique potential in what must be the most challenging endurance test in the world: a power unit with FSI direct injection drove the Audi R8 to victory on four occasions in the Le Mans 24 Hours.

The evolutionary version that powers the Roadjet Concept includes two technologies that double the specific advantage of FSI technology. Because with a fixed intake manifold together with integral vacuum reservoir – as opposed to the variable intake manifold of the production version – the 3.2 FSI can be configured systematically as a sports engine.

The six-cylinder engine in addition features a new valve control principle by the name of Audi valvelift system. In the form of two-stage cam lift adjustment, it is able to vary the degree of valve opening according to load and engine speeds.

What this means in practice is that in flowing traffic, the engine produces a decidedly smooth, relaxing response to only moderate use of the accelerator pedal, with impressive pulling power in reserve that results in outstandingly low fuel consumption.

But as soon as the driver ups the tempo, the 3.2 engine reveals its qualities as a highly talented athlete. It responds with bite to even minimal movements of the accelerator and moves fleet-footedly right up to the speed dictated by the limiter, which only cuts in at 7,500 rpm. What is particularly remarkable is that the power output rises constantly virtually all the way up to that point.

This V6 engine delivers its maximum output of 220 kW (300 bhp) at 7,000 rpm; its peak torque of 330 Nm is available at 4,500 rpm. The Roadjet Concept 3.2 FSI accelerates to 100 km/h in 6.4 seconds, and its top speed is electronically governed at 250 km/h.

No less astonishing is the average fuel consumption of this evolutionary concept: the Roadjet Concept covers 100 kilometres on just 10.4 litres of Super Plus – despite the Roadjet Concept's higher weight and larger frontal area, this figure is a few tenths of a litre better than its production counterpart in the A4 3.2 quattro, which develops 45 bhp less!

The combination of FSI and Audi valvelift system unquestionably demonstrates how much potential Audi's petrol engines of the future will still be capable of mobilising, with a view to delivering even more driving fun and efficiency. And that future is not far off: the underlying technology is already so mature that it could start finding its way into production in a few months' time.

If I'm not mistaken, this means a throttle-less design. The first Mitsubushi Direct Injection engine had a deleted throttle, but b/c there was no controle over the airflow, it actually harmed the performance. A lot of these engines had a throttle retro-fitted. Looks like Audi solved the problem. That's a very big deal, and justifies this ugly-ass concept.

tailpipe
January 10th, 2006, 21:24
This car is based on the new dual A4/ A6 platform architecture. I agree that the technology incorporated within the design is impressive, but the exterior styling leaves much to be desired. The grille is much too large and is a particularly characterless interpretation of the new design. The absence of lights in the lower part of the front fender/ bumper make the thing look unfinished. The car has a distinctly Japanese feel about, just as the Japanese Lexus IS has an Italian look. Whatever, you can definitely see the influences of Chris Bangle's flame surfacing techniques with a blend of curves and sharp creases. Please, Audi, don't go there!

I had expected there to be a larger gap between the front wheels and A-pillar, in-line with Audi's new drivetrain configuration. However, the engine still appears to be mounted on top of the front axle and not behind it, but this may only be an impression created by the photography instead of how it actually is. The engine is certainly very compact.

Engine technology is deeply impressive. Finally, longitudinal DSG. I like the cockpit. In particular, hats off to Audi for finally having the good sense to mount the SatNAv screen in the main instrument binnacle.

I'm looking forward to seeing this car at Geneva. Love it or hate, it looks fresh and futuristic. Viva Vorsprung durch technik.

QuattroFun
January 10th, 2006, 22:12
Yeah, impressive technology but styling direction is no good. Lovely Nuvolari and Le Mans one hand and, well, more inner beauty-oriented Shooting Brake and Roadjet on the other. Unless somebody with a better sense of muscular beauty steps in the future is not so bright.

Finnus
January 11th, 2006, 14:29
The grille is much too large and is a particularly characterless interpretation of the new design.

I agree. This is one time I would insist on putting the front license plate on! Its bound to break-up that massive grill.

(I never put the front plate on my RS6 for aesthetic reasons - and only one ticket for it - better than the speeding I was stopped for LOL).

Finnus

Tanner
January 20th, 2006, 06:42
Seeing a few photos of the engine itself in the Roadjet, and seeing the amount of overhang on the Roadjet at the Detroit show, the engine is still mounted in front of the headlights as Clarkson would put it.

Too bad, I'm hoping this hype and talk about the weight balance being addressed for the next A4 platform will be true..... mind you, this is only a concept so anything can still happen.

5000S old skool
January 23rd, 2006, 05:07
this engine screams "I AM IN THE NEXT S3!!"

The rest of the car says nothing to me....:s3addict:

Toto89
January 23rd, 2006, 20:26
Not a beautiful car but it's 3.2 engine with 300hp would be great in the A4 and A6:0: