PDA

View Full Version : Predictions for Frankfurt Audi releases

tailpipe
August 22nd, 2005, 22:08
My prediction is that Audi will present the following models at Frankfurt:

Q7 (certain)
RS4 Avant (certain)
Revised A6 Allroad (probable)
S6 (probable or else Detroit in January 2006)
S8 (probably or else at Geneva 2006)
R9 concept (possible or else at Geneva 2006)
Revised A3 (certain)
A3 convertible (possible or else at Geneva 2006)

There will apparently be a surprise?!!! This could be a preview of the new TT.

Last week's Autocar reports that B8 A4 will debut in 2007 as 2008 model. Meaning it will be shown at the Paris auto show in Autumn 2006.

:love: :love: :love:

Erik
August 22nd, 2005, 22:25
I am very interested in what the name - as well as performance - of the new Audi LeMans / R9 / RS9 is going to be.

I have a press pass but currently no time/possibility to go :eye:

JavierNuvolari
August 23rd, 2005, 01:01
Originally posted by Erik
[I have a press pass but currently no time/possibility to go :eye: [/B]

That happened to me once...it sucks...:eye:

Cheers,

Javier

Angellus
August 23rd, 2005, 13:07
I really hope the S8 shows up! My father wants something quick to replace the S8 with but does not want to wait too long. Think he might buy the new S8 if it comes out and then the RS6 when it finally arives.

Hope the S8 is a real MONSTER!! :wo:

By the way why is there no S8/S6 smiley? There is S3,S4,RS4,RS6 but no S8/S6.

Waiting for the monster S8 :dance:

S8 is extremely rare here, only 2 in the city I live in and about 10-12 in the whole country. My father does not like driving something everyone has. In my country the S8 is a special import.

Benman
August 23rd, 2005, 16:54
Originally posted by Angellus

By the way why is there no S8/S6 smiley? There is S3,S4,RS4,RS6 but no S8/S6.

S8 is extremely rare here, only 2 in the city I live in and about 10-12 in the whole country. In my country the S8 is a special import.
Good point.

And where do you live BTW? Not on your profile.

Ben:addict:

QuattroFan
August 23rd, 2005, 17:10
Any thoughts on the Revised A3? Does this include the Sportback?

roadrunner
August 23rd, 2005, 17:41
Originally posted by tailpipe
My prediction is that Audi will present the following models at Frankfurt:

Q7 (certain)
RS4 Avant (certain)
Revised A6 Allroad (probable)
S6 (probable or else Detroit in January 2006)
S8 (probably or else at Geneva 2006)
R9 concept (possible or else at Geneva 2006)
Revised A3 (certain)
A3 convertible (possible or else at Geneva 2006)

There will apparently be a surprise?!!! This could be a preview of the new TT.

Last week's Autocar reports that B8 A4 will debut in 2007 as 2008 model. Meaning it will be shown at the Paris auto show in Autumn 2006.

:love: :love: :love:

Tailpipe - this is a nice lineup (your prediction for the IAA 2005 in particular), but very unlikely in my opinion. The reason - from a marketing and PR point of view it would not be clever to introduce so many NEW models the same time and

- Q7 (already publicly know through Q7 globe and all the sneak peaks)
- A6 allroad (would be new to the public, in production trim that is - pikes peak was show already)
- RS4 Avant (would be plausible - RS Sedan launch + teaser for the Avant)
- S6 (would be new to the public)
- S8 (would be new to the public)

is a lot of gunpowder. They would steal the media & public attention from each other. More plausible would be an introduction over the next shows - Frankfurt 2005, Tokyo 2005, Detroit 2006, Geneva 2006.

I don't know what you mean with revised A3 - possibly the SFG (Singele Frame Grill) for the 3door, but this is not new, maybe some new engines. :confused:

The A4 Cabrio with the SFG should be there.

The spyshots of the TT we have seen here seem to show a final product - would be a nice surprise.

Long story short - I would hope for "your" Frankfurt lineup, as i will be there - but i doubt that we will see all of them.

Greets
Seb.

Angellus
August 23rd, 2005, 20:50
Originally posted by Benman
Good point.

And where do you live BTW? Not on your profile.

I live in Pretoria, South Africa. Thing is we have right hand drive cars so we have to generally wait a bit longer and also some cars are only for special orders. The S8 was never an official import you had to request it from the dealer. The S3 ,S4 , S6 and RS6 were all available.

I just hope the next S8 has super power. The RS6 will be awesome but we need something to get us from A to B till then. The S8 we have now still drives great but we need something FASTER :hahahehe: I love the S8 and can only imagine what the next one will be like! :wo:

Iceman
August 23rd, 2005, 20:51
Originally posted by roadrunner
They would steal the media & public attention from each other. More plausible would be an introduction over the next shows - Frankfurt 2005, Tokyo 2005, Detroit 2006, Geneva 2006.
The A4 Cabrio with the SFG should be there.
The spyshots of the TT we have seen here seem to show a final product - would be a nice surprise.

Greets, Seb.
Audi have announce that the Q7 will be the highlite of the Frankfurt show.
Further they have release the info that the Single frame A4 cabrio will not on the I.A.A. show but will like planned go in production early 2006.
But it is more than possible to see a Audi TT Roadster Concept on the show.
And maybe the new S6 with 4.2 liter V8 FSI engine.

wfg, Hans.

roadrunner
August 25th, 2005, 17:20
Originally posted by Iceman
...Audi have announce that the Q7 will be the highlite of the Frankfurt show...

Accoring to Audi MediaInfo from 24. Aug - there will be 4 Q7 on display. :hahahehe:

Originally posted by Iceman
Further they have released the info that the Single frame A4 cabrio will not on the I.A.A. show but will like planned go in production early 2006...

Correction here - the A4 Cabrio with SFG will be at IAA (stated in the same Audi MediaInfo).

In total - 28 Audis will be shown - no further details to the different models.

I can't wait to go :360:

Greets.
Seb

tailpipe
August 26th, 2005, 13:47
IAA Update:

No doubt that Q7 will be highlight of the show. It really is about time that the inventor of Quattro had an SUV. Talk about late to the party!

In addition to Q7 we will definitely see A3 with SFG, A4 convertible with SFG and RS4 Avant. We should also see FSI V-8 in in A6 and A8.

In addition to Q7, there will be a surprise. I just don't know what it is yet. It could be any but not all of the following:

1. Production version of A6 Allroad to cement off-road 4x4 credentials

2. S6 because Audi needs to counter M5 and new V-10 is looking good

3. S8 because Audi has to has to keep its alernative to the S-Class fresh, (new S-Class will debut at Frankfurt)

4. R9 concept because Audi will want to counter expected new BMW concepts including the exciting Z10.

TT looks as if it will debut at Geneva in the Spring now.

Audi wants to make a big noise at Frankfurt relative to BMW and Mercedes-Benz. It wants to stamp its increasing authority over
these brands on its home turf. So do expect an impressive stand full of new models.

Incidentally, a little bird told me that we will see new Lexus LS (S-Class competitor) at Frankfurt. This is apparently totally incredible. It would really pee on MB's firework if shown!!! Personally, I think it will arrive at Geneva 2006.

It's important to remember that Autoshows are like a game of poker. Everyone wants to trump the other players.

All models described are ready for presentation, it's just a question of timing.

:0:

:D

Angellus
August 26th, 2005, 15:46
I really hope both the S6 and S8 show up at the show. As someone has said, think it was Tailpipe, there is no chance of an RS8 :cry: If they do show up there might be a new S8 in our garage next year :hihi: I hope Audi blows us away at the show.

THe new Lexus might be interesting. We had a LS400 way back and it was a great car. S8 is much better though :addict:

Benman
August 26th, 2005, 16:32
IAA Update:

No doubt that Q7 will be highlight of the show. It really is about time that the inventor of Quattro had an SUV. Talk about late to the party!

Incidentally, a little bird told me that we will see new Lexus LS (S-Class competitor) at Frankfurt. This is apparently totally incredible.

:D
Wait, I thought Audi "Never Follows"? Oh wait, I guess they do, and VERY late at that!:rolleyes: Sad.

As for the LS, REALLY? That IS incredible. I don't think ANYone was expecting this! Wow, sorry to talk about things Lexus on the Audi forum, but as you know, Pop is a Lexus man. I've spent my entire two years of RS 6 ownership TRYING to sway him to Audi, but NO go. He is a Lexus man and LOVES the treatment he gets at the dealer and the reliability of his car is second to none (even the A8s have had their VERY fair share of M button problems!:( ) so I'm responsible for keeping him "posted" on developments in Lexus.

Although he IS impressed with the upcoming R9!:hahahehe:

tailpipe
August 26th, 2005, 22:00
Benman,

Forgive me for going off-topic, but Audi needs to watch Lexus, because our Japanese friends areally intend to spoil their party.

Firstly, the RWD replacement IS model launches in a month and it is superb. Have seen it up close and personal. Handles better than B8 A4 - unquestionably. Has class-leading interior space, interior design, build quality and refinement. There is also an IS460/ 500 V-8 version in the pipeline, which is designed to outperform the M3.

Secondly, Lexus is also working on a 5-door hatchback to compete with the A3. I've seen drawings - it looks fantastic.

Thirdly, work is well asvanced on the next generation RX model. Lexus needs a more focused SUV with better 4x4 credentials than the current model has. The new one will show Range Rover a thing or too about off-road driving according to Lexus.

Finally, the new LS, which is all but finished now is touched by the hand of genius. Gone are the S-Class copycat curves. In comes L-Finesse styling. Can only provide a drawing at this stage. Mercedes-Benz S-Class beware...

Benman
August 26th, 2005, 23:39
Benman,

Forgive me for going off-topic...
No worries mate, I started it.:blush:

Wow, the new LS sketches remind me of the new GS mixed in with a little A8.

You stated the new IS outhandles the B8 A4. How can you say that if the prototype B8s aren't even finished yet?:vhmmm:

tailpipe
August 29th, 2005, 12:13
Benman,

Prototype B8's already up and running. Mule car has new chassis under B7 body work. Front wheels moved forward to dramatically reduce overhangs - lloks uncannily like a BMW.

But reason I made the remark is that B8 will still have a front-biased weight distribution with 65%-70% of weight carried by the front wheels; whereas LExus IS is like a 3-Series with an almost perfect 50:50 weight distribution. The LExus is therefore bound to have a better handling balance and steering.

"Ye cannae change the laws of physics, Jim."

Suspension on new IS is deeply impressive - way over-engineered for the category IMHO.

If you want my honest opinion, I think B8 is a cop-out by Audi. Winterkorn wanted to move the entire brand to rear-wheel drive, but this was vetoed by the big cheese at VW. So, Audi has to soldier on with cars that are dynamically inferior to those of its closest rivals. Quattro redresses the balance somewhat, but even front-wheel drive with the wheels behind the front axle is, in pure engineering terms, still a compromise solution.

I hope Audi proves me wrong. I'll be the first to eat humble pie if B8 out-handles the 3-Series and first to buy one too.

Benman
August 29th, 2005, 16:52
Benman,

Prototype B8's already up and running. Mule car has new chassis under B7 body work. Front wheels moved forward to dramatically reduce overhangs

But reason I made the remark is that B8 will still have a front-biased weight distribution with 65%-70% of weight carried by the front wheels;

"Ye cannae change the laws of physics, Jim."

:vhmmm: Huh, I don't get it. The B7 has better weight distribution than the B8?:confused: What the heck? The B6 and B7 are like 60% percent front biased and the new B8 with front wheels moved FORWARD is 65-70%?!?!?:confused: That doesn't sound right does it?

tailpipe
August 30th, 2005, 11:15
Benman,

Current B7 doesn't have just 60% of weight over front wheels. More like 70%. Worst thing about B7 is that engine sits over and in front of axle. Kills steering due to weight on wheels and results in understeer. B8 will go a long way to correct this.

Iceman
August 30th, 2005, 11:56
The problem is not new about the engine sitting over and in front of axel.
Former Audi had the 5 cylinder engine over and in front of axle with negative effects on steering.
Than they change to V6 engines becorse they sitting less over and in front of axle.
The new B8 drivetrain layout wil bring a radical change to it.
The new drivetrain layout will be something like this if my info is correct.

http://img388.imageshack.us/img388/6914/drivetrainlayout5ib.jpg

wfg, Hans.

Benman
August 30th, 2005, 16:37
/\/\/\ I see the engine has grown/\/\/\:D

Seriously though, that WOULD help a BUNCH if that IS the way the layout is going.

QuattroFun
August 30th, 2005, 17:02
What B6/B7 A4 is supposed to have more like 70% of the weight at the front (not even a heavy 3.0TDI)?

The heaviest and probably most front skewed of the bunch - the B6 S4 sedan - has "only" 61.4% at front as measured by AMS (26/2002) and 61.3% at front as measured by Sport Auto (03/2003).

In Sport Auto 04/2005, Stephan Reil says that the B7 RS4 sedan has 58.5% at the front - probably too bullish but 60% is a nice round figure. These very standard figures for FWD cars - also those praised by the press such as Ford Focus and new Golf GTI.

tailpipe
September 1st, 2005, 21:50
Hans,

Thank you for providing such an excellent drawing. That's it exactly. I never meant to give the impression that B8 has inferior weight distribution than B7. It's quite the opposite. B8 will be fanstatic. It will certainly remedy many of the problems that have affected the handling of Audis before now.

We can argue whether the current A4 model has 60%, 62.243% or 70% of its weight over/ infront of the front wheels, and it varies depending on who you talk to, but in my book anything over 50% is disappointing.

(Ferrari would disagree with BMW's commitment to 50%:50%, preferring a ratio of 55-59%:45-41% in favour of the rear wheels.)

What is clear is that B8 is a big step forward for Audi. B8 will certainly have better weight distribution than B7, A6 and A8.

BTW, Hans, have you heard about A4 coupe (A5?) being the first version of PL47 platform (B8)? I've heard that it'll have RS4's engine and DSG, but no mention of what horsepower.

Audi is being very tight-lipped about DSG in a longitudinal transmission. I guess it must still be some distance away from production.

Iceman
September 2nd, 2005, 00:13
BTW, Hans, have you heard about A4 coupe (A5?) being the first version of PL47 platform (B8)? I've heard that it'll have RS4's engine and DSG, but no mention of what horsepower.

Audi is being very tight-lipped about DSG in a longitudinal transmission. I guess it must still be some distance away from production.

If everything go's as planed the new A5 Coupe'/Cabrio will be introduced in 2007.
On the V8 FSI engine front there will be a volume increase to 4.8 litre if the info is correct.
DSG longitudinal transmissions will come in 2-3 years time.

wfg, Hans.

Benman
September 14th, 2005, 16:08
Tailpipe,

So far, the only Audi I see is the Q7. And no new LS info.

Will they perhaps show up later in the show or not this time around?

roadrunner
September 14th, 2005, 17:49
IAA Update:

...In addition to Q7, there will be a surprise. I just don't know what it is yet...

It seems as the surprise was the Q7 hybrid.

We will have to wait and see what they have in mind for Tokyo, Detroit, Geneva... :confused:

Greets
Seb

goku0815
September 14th, 2005, 18:55
IŽll be in Frankfurt on Friday and IŽll check for you guys whats on AudiŽs place!
Take as many pictures as neccessary and check all the technical details for you!
Is one of you there at this Friday!?

tailpipe
September 15th, 2005, 12:53
See my other post, but nearly all the amjor manufacturers who planned to show new cars at Frankfurt pulled launches at the last moment. Audi in particular.

The climate of uncertainty created by Hurricane Katrina pushing up fuel prices really doesn't make this a good time to release new high performance cars. In fact, all cars period are probably not all popular right now.

I was extremely surprised and disappointed to see what a failure this show has been.

The RS4 Avant really should have been shown. The fact that it wasn't slightly concerns me. The new A4 based RS model is way too late in the model cycle. It will now arrive within 12-14 months of the new B8 platform. (The new M5 arrived within 2 years of the 5-Series launch.)

We've discussed this before, but I really think it is a missed opportunity.

Benman
September 15th, 2005, 20:00

The climate of uncertainty created by Hurricane Katrina pushing up fuel prices...

I'm sure most already know this but it is good to mention anyway. Katrina has nothing to due with the increased fuel prices. It is merely a very welcomed excuse by the oil companies to increase their already ridiculous profits. For example, Costcos (in the New Orleaans area) raised their fuel prices immediately after Katrina hit. They did not wait for a "shortage" for an excuse, but "preempted" the anticipated shortage that was inevitable. Inevitable is a funny choice of a word considering there is still fuel there.

The oil companies will use any excuse to raise the consumers costs of fuel even a tragedy such as Katrina. Despite show record profits last year, the Busch administration gave 15 BILLION dollars of taxpayers money for the power companies to "research" ways of providing cheaper utilities for consumers (oil included). Funny, prices aren't going down...:vhmmm:

Back OT, totally sucks to hear the show was such a bust. What a dissapointment for those who spent their money going there. Sorry to hear.

54m
October 15th, 2005, 12:11
Tailpipe look what i just found at audi uk website an audi concpt which aint been seen yet it's at Tokyo
http://www.audi.co.uk/company/press...age=presscentre

Sam

tailpipe
October 16th, 2005, 19:25
Couldn't see anything via this link.

Can you post it directly. I have a feeling that you may be referring to the new TT shooting break. This can be seen elsewhere on the forum.