PDA

View Full Version : A little story about RS4 residuals...

taipan
February 3rd, 2003, 14:53
As some of you know, I've been looking for a second-hand RS4 since November '02 (after canceling my initial order back in 2001).

What struck me was the disconnect between the prices in the market and what I read in the forums, especially on buy-backs from Audi dealers.
The gap between selling and buying prices often exceeded 15 000 Euros (or 10 000 £).

So I decided to do one or two quick checks.

1. I made a quick visit at the dealer down the road (Audi Bauer in Levallois, Paris suburb).
There was a second-hand black RS4 from 2000, with GPS, 48 000 km, for sale at 55K Euros (price new 75K Euros).

So I went straight to the "New Cars" salesman and said : "I want to buy a RS6 Avant but I need you to buy back my Grey Avus RS4, from early 2001, GPS, 52 000 km, no chipping/mods. How much do you offer ?"

-> His answer : "I need to see the car to confirm but it'll be around 40K Euros".
15K Euros margin for the dealer, don't count on me, pal...

2. Then I looked into the major second-hand publication in France which also runs a major website (La Centrale Des Particuliers, part of the int'l house Trader.com). It's the absolute leader in the field here.

There I saw about 15 RS4s, all either Black or Avus, ranging from 40 000 to 90 000 km, all with 12 months warranty
So you get an idea of the offerings :
- between 44K and 46 K Euros : 3 RS4s
- 46 to 50 K Euros : 2 RS4s
- 50 to 56K Euros : 9 RS4s
Only 4 RS4s come from private owners, the rest come from dealers (mainly Audi).

THE TRICK : I actually run one of the 3 cheapest offers, so I could figure out how many buyers were looking for one, like me.
Cost me 50 Euros but to potentially save a few thousands Euros, it's a no-brainer.
You know this feeling, when the seller tells you "please hurry/ can't lower my price because I have two other clients" and you're like "yeah right, take me for a ride ...".

THE SURPRISE : since the ad started running 3 weeks ago, I have not received a SINGLE call or email for the car.
As if no one is currently looking for an RS4, even at the current cheapest prices from the largest market place in FR.

A bit weird, no ?

Eric

s6plus
February 3rd, 2003, 17:02
I know what you mean...

Im looking with my eyes on a german rs4...What I notice now, is that they are becomming cheaper. Especially cars from private persons(www.mobile.de). Thing is ..that I have to wait some more years, because otherwise I have to pay a lot of extra import tax..
It's time that the EEC /governments of all european countries measure with the same tax rate or some...

To all the german drivers.....You're damm lucky with those car-prices overthere...

Erik
February 7th, 2003, 11:54
There are 3 RS4 for sale by Audi dealers in Stockholm at the moment, never seen so many.

Price is between 56.000 - 63.600 Euro, they all have fairly low mileage but one is supposed to have been a press-car in its previous life. Don't chose that one...

taipan
February 7th, 2003, 13:19
On Mobile.de :

I've been tracking (after test-driving it) a Red RS4 on sale there since November.

All possible options (GPS + free TV, GSM Phone, SunRoof, etc.), and in superb condition. You can't find a single scratch on the car, not even on the bumpers, like the owner is a passionate freak.
Plus a 450 Hp preparation from Skiba-Tuning done 4000 km ago.
And a second set of 19" rims of Breyton with tyres for 2500 euro extra.

Started at EUR 48 000 (I made an offer at that price but with extra set of rims included; was declined).
Now at EUR 45 000 3 months after.
(If you ask me, that's just like standard depreciation...).

Still advertising.

Priced too high ?

Eric