PDA

View Full Version : New A6 Avant

tailpipe
February 3rd, 2005, 18:06
Just had my first experience of the new A6 Avant.

It looks fabulous in the flesh. There's plenty of space and it is a real leap forward in just about every areas versus the previous model. If the plain vanilla one looks so cool and elegant, then the RS6 will be simply mindblowing.

Drove the 3.0 litre TDI. Most impressive. Real low down grunt and surprising urge on the freeway.

What I wasn't able to try but heard a lot about was the new 4.2 litre V8 FSI engine and air suspension. It'll be available around the same time as the RS4 and it'll be quicker than an S4.

Starting to feel torn between 4.2 A6 and new RS4. I guess when we see the RS4, I'll fall for it and the A6 is large, especially for London.

5000S old skool
February 3rd, 2005, 22:30
The 4.2 FSI in the A6 wont be as powerful as the RS4 engine though, will it? because the S6 is supposedly supposed to have the 4.2 FSI

tailpipe
February 4th, 2005, 14:03
Yes, the new 4.2 FSI is apparently going to be available in three different flavours. The standard version generates 340-350 bhp, which will probably go in the S4, A6 and A8. The RS4 gets the tuned version with 420 bhp. Then there is a 380 bhp version for the S6. I also know that Audi is developing a bi-turbo version of it that pushes out 480- 500 bhp. (B8 RS4 perhaps). In truth, i don't know whether Audi has decided on the final power outputs yet or which model gets which version. I think they'll keep their options open until just before launch. Whatever happens, expect low down power and better economy than current 4.2s.

(Yes, I know that 3.2 FSI in A6 isn't particularly frugal but it is optimized for low-down power and acceleration not all-round performance.)

J0X
February 4th, 2005, 21:47
Originally posted by tailpipe
Starting to feel torn between 4.2 A6 and new RS4.

Oh no you don't! You were the one who talked me into pre-ordering, so you better go through with it :D Who else am I gonna exchange experiences with!?

But i have to agree though. I took a ride in the 3.2 FSi the other day, and I was mighty impressed by its qualities and performance. I would love to get my hands on a TDI. So beautiful.

RS4Ever
February 5th, 2005, 01:06
back in december, when i was down in florida i got a chance to test drive the A6 3.2 FSI.. and jsut like every review.. Looooaaads of power on the low end. :)

vanilla is very nice.

RS4Ever
February 5th, 2005, 01:10
i happend to run into this..
its an RS6 with what it looks like a vanilla interior.

Elegant looking beast:cool2:

5000S old skool
February 5th, 2005, 15:29
sexy :heart: :heart:

tailpipe
February 7th, 2005, 11:34
Originally posted by J0X
Oh no you don't! You were the one who talked me into pre-ordering, so you better go through with it :D Who else am I gonna exchange experiences with!?

LOL!

Don't worry, the A6 is just too big for London. Secondly, I think when we see new RS4 we'll all go ballistic with excitement. Yes, my order stands.

:rs4kiss:

:hihi:

tfischer
February 7th, 2005, 15:28
Where did you see the new A6 Avant? Was it somewhere around London? I spoke to my local dealer in Amersham but they said they won't have a car in the showroom until April.

I am thinking about an RS6 but I'd like to see and drive the new 4.2 Avant before I commit. I know there will be no comparison in terms of performance but once the new model is out, I am concerned the current RS6 will start to look very dated.

tailpipe
February 7th, 2005, 15:42
T Fischer,

It isn't in the UK yet. I saw it at Audi's US headquarters in Auburn Hills, Michigan. The V8 4.2 FSI in either the A6 (345 bhp) or S6 (380 bhp) will be sublime. With air suspension, ride and handling should be much better than current RS6. Fuel consumption will be improved too. Consider getting one of these to tide you over until new RS6 arrives in 2 year's time. Or, if you want out and out performance, get a second-hand current RS6 - there are plenty about, meaning someone else has already taken the depreciation hit. By any objective standard the existing version is still a simply brethtaking bit of kit.

Finnus
February 7th, 2005, 21:59
I am concerned the current RS6 will start to look very dated.

TFischer,

I disagree. I think the current RS6 is going to maintain its good looks for a long time, even when the new one comes out. The look is classic and very aggressive. With relatively few of them running around I think it will hold up very well as it ages. After owning the car for over 1 1/2 years, not to mention the year+ wait, I still think the design is just as fresh and exciting as when I first picked it up.

Having had little chance to drive it this winter, its still a thrill to take it out for a run.

Finnus
:addict:

noushy
February 10th, 2005, 17:27
I realize this is a little off the original topic but I agree with Finnus. I put snows on mine this winter, and am just loving it. The only part that bugs me is having to wash the salt off all the time. The car drives fantastic in the snow, loads of power, very stable on the highway. I only drive it once a week or so, but this week my suv was in the shop and I had to drive the RS6. Key point, invest in good snow tires, I chose Pirelli wintersport 230 in the stock size on 18inch tsw rims. I did not want to wreck my HREs in the snow and salt, and I loaned the stock rims to a friend with an A6 4.2. :)

Noushy

tailpipe
March 4th, 2005, 13:37
The A6 Avant made its European debut at Geneva.

I have to say that it is a seriously good machine. The exterior lines are a league above those of all other premium wagons - including BMW 5 and MB E-Class. The A6 is one svelte beast, with a muscular taughtness that is almost feline like a tiger. The styling is a totally coherent expression of the new and emerging design language at Audi. As I've said elsewhere, the new grille was designed from the outset to go on this car and the way in which it blends almost seamlessly with the bonnet lines to create a distinctive V running from front to rear works very well with the Avant. Best of all, it somehow manages to blend a distinctive and instantly appealing elegance with an understated sense of hidden purpose.

I hope Walter De' Silva reads this, because he is to be congratulated on the direction he is taking Audi. The new Alfa-Romeos on display at Geneva are a powerful testament to De' Silva's ability to create timeless design. We're still only seeing an interim step to where he brands to take Audi's styling, but the sheer beauty of the A6 Avant in the flesh should leave us in no doubt that Audi is in safe hands. (Nice one Walter.)

The inside of the Avant is a 5-star address and a place where we'll be happy to spend time. The cockpit controls all fall effortless to hand and the MMI interface screen is perfectly positioned. I can see exactly where they will put the starter button on the next RS6.

As i have also said elsewhere, add a 4.2 FSI engine, air supsension a revised Quattro drivetrain, ESP 8.0 and so on, and you will have car with comparable abilities to those of the new RS4 even though it won't be quite as focused. Of course, when it comes to the next RS6, a perfect foundation now exists. in the meantime, I am sure the new RS4 will keep me entertained until the next RS6 arrives.

I forgot to add one fantastic detail: the LED lights at the back. They're a super cool signature of the technology that abounds in this car.

clam
March 4th, 2005, 13:59
There's something missing from this thread:

http://www.audiworld.com/news/04/a6avant/a6avant009h.jpg

http://www.audiworld.com/news/04/a6avant/a6avant003h.jpg

It's very rare when practicality and aesthetic beauty come together like this. It's a family stationwagon, the proverbial workhorse, yet it's dead sexy from every angle. Simply amazing.

I bet the designers at BMW get a smack around the head from their bosses "why can't you do something like that".

tailpipe
March 4th, 2005, 14:34
Originally posted by clam
There's something missing from this thread:

http://www.audiworld.com/news/04/a6avant/a6avant009h.jpg

http://www.audiworld.com/news/04/a6avant/a6avant003h.jpg

It's very rare when practicality and aesthetic beauty come together like this. It's a family stationwagon, the proverbial workhorse, yet it's dead sexy from every angle. Simply amazing.

I bet the designers at BMW get a smack around the head from their bosses "why can't you do something like that".

LOL :doh: :hahahehe:

Benman
March 4th, 2005, 16:14
Originally posted by Finnus
TFischer,

I disagree. I think the current RS6 is going to maintain its good looks for a long time, even when the new one comes out. The look is classic and very aggressive. With relatively few of them running around I think it will hold up very well as it ages. After owning the car for over 1 1/2 years, not to mention the year+ wait, I still think the design is just as fresh and exciting as when I first picked it up.

Having had little chance to drive it this winter, its still a thrill to take it out for a run.

Finnus
:addict:
Off topic but DITTO. The progressive styling changes at Audi (as opposed to some OTHER manufactures, ahem...) makes the previous cars stay in style longer.

Back on topic, the new Avant looks great. If Audi continues the progressive styling treatment to their cars, this will look good for years as well!:cheers:

Ben:addict: (until it crashes!)