PDA

View Full Version : Audi's SUV strategy

tailpipe
January 14th, 2005, 15:32
Message to Audi.

It seems as if your new Q7 is going to be a mix of people carrier and soft-roader rather than a focused SUV.

I don't know about the rest of the RS6 user base, but considering that it consists of quite a lot of people who know a thing or two about Audis and who take their motoring seriously, I expect them to agree with me when I say that as the inventor of Quattro, I really expect you to give us a class-leading 4x4.

I want your Q7 to obliterate both the Range-Rover and the Cayenne, both off-road as well as on it. I want it to look like it really means business. Rugged, purposeful and full of Audi's clever design details. I also want it to cost significantly less than the ridiculous Cayenne.

To do this, the Q7 may need to have quite a lot of aluminium, air suspension, a V8 diesel or V10 petrol engine, (V-10 diesel is a waste of time and gas). It should be the car that says: we, Audi, own 4x4, whether you want a hatchback (A3), family wagon, (A4/ A6), Sports car (TT), luxury limo (A8) or full-on SUV (Q7), we're the people you come to.

As things stand, there are so many "me too" SUVs out there that unless the Q7 is distinctive, it will probably fail to sell in large numbers. Look how the Allroad bombed in the USA.

So, come on guys, make sure it's a winner.

Benman
January 14th, 2005, 16:35
Originally posted by tailpipe
Message to Audi.

I say that as the inventor of Quattro, I really expect you to give us a class-leading 4x4.

I want your Q7 to obliterate both the Range-Rover and the Cayenne, both off-road as well as on it. I also want it to cost significantly less than the ridiculous Cayenne.

To do this, the Q7 may need to have quite a lot of aluminium, air suspension, a V8 diesel or V10 petrol engine, (V-10 diesel is a waste of time and gas).
there are so many "me too" SUVs

So, come on guys, make sure it's a winner.
Ha, ha and more ha!

I agree with your reasoning tailpipe but it's just a "pipe dream" (pun intended:D ).

For the "car" to have extensive aluminum, air suspension, distinctive trim, etc..., have superior performance than a Range Rover off road and superior performance than a Cayenne on road and yet cost less than the Cayenne is again, just a dream. I agree that Audi should be leading, not just another "me too" (which it will end up being) but Audi has abandoned their "Never Follow" US ad campain. Now it is "officially" To Lead is Greater than to Follow". Clever huh? Now they can Follow all they want and not have to worry about the pesky "Never Follow", now they can say, " Well, we said it's Greater to lead, but we never said WE did!:D

Sad, an opportunity missed!

Ben:addict: (if I want a gas guzzling 4 wheel drive ON road vehicle, I'll keep my Beast, thank you!)

Erik
January 14th, 2005, 16:38
I also want it to cost significantly less than the ridiculous Cayenne.

Auto Motor Sport Sweden tested the Volvo XC90 and the Cayenne V6.

The Pepper Porsche turns out to be cheaper to own. :hahahehe:
:harass: Volvo

tailpipe
January 14th, 2005, 21:39
Originally posted by Benman
Ha, ha and more ha!

I agree with your reasoning tailpipe but it's just a "pipe dream" (pun intended:D ).

For the "car" to have extensive aluminum, air suspension, distinctive trim, etc..., have superior performance than a Range Rover off road and superior performance than a Cayenne on road and yet cost less than the Cayenne is again, just a dream. I agree that Audi should be leading, not just another "me too" (which it will end up being) but Audi has abandoned their "Never Follow" US ad campain. Now it is "officially" To Lead is Greater than to Follow". Clever huh? Now they can Follow all they want and not have to worry about the pesky "Never Follow", now they can say, " Well, we said it's Greater to lead, but we never said WE did!:D

Sad, an opportunity missed!

Benman,

I think your point about the "Never Follow" being greater than "Greater than" is well made. And I think you're right and I am wrong about the Q7. But do you think the Q7 will sell well stateside? And how do you think it will be compared to the Toe-rag? (Touraeg).

I'd love to see what TV ads Audi's running in the USA. Any good?

Benman
January 14th, 2005, 22:56
Benman,

I think your point about the "Never Follow" being greater than "Greater than" is well made. And I think you're right and I am wrong about the Q7. But do you think the Q7 will sell well stateside? And how do you think it will be compared to the Toe-rag? (Touraeg).

I'd love to see what TV ads Audi's running in the USA. Any good?
I would like to see the Q7 sell well. In the States there are soccer moms TO NO END who from TV ads are convinced that SUVs provide better safety and all that jazz. Luxury SUVs are a STELLAR performer here (BMW X5s, Escalades, ML 350, 500s EVERYWHERE!!!) so Audi should have a sales success on their hands (it pays to follow:D ).

I really like the Touraeg, better than I like the Cayenne for sure. It seems to sell pretty decent as they're a common sight on the freeways I drive.

As far as you being wrong, believe me, I really wish Audi would set the bar, raise the game, and really SHOCK the automotive world with something as revolutionary as the Ur quattro. I just don't see it happening, but I hope I'm wrong.:cheers:

Ben:addict: (some of our TV ads our pretty good, that is the ones that come from Europe:D )

5000S old skool
January 15th, 2005, 01:20
Personally, I have no desire to ever purchase an SUV........ ever..

Where these people ((err women)) get the notion that a top heavy, body rolling, vision obscuring, gas guzzling, long stopping vehicle is a safe, good buy I do not know. Most SUVs nowadays cant even go off-road. Which makes me wonder what their point is... If one needs space for a family, Mini-Vans are more spacious, safer, and more economic. To each his own I guess, though.

Although I do not like SUVs and dont like how Audi is making SUVs, I guess it was bound to happen and I should just accept it because SUV sell well and make $$$. More $$$ means more money for reaserch to build better beasts for the future (S and RS).

Benman
January 15th, 2005, 02:29
Originally posted by 5000S old skool

Where these people ((err women)) get the notion that a top heavy, body rolling, vision obscuring, gas guzzling, long stopping vehicle is a safe, good buy I do not know. Most SUVs nowadays cant even go off-road. Which makes me wonder what their point is... If one needs space for a family, Mini-Vans are more spacious, safer, and more economic. To each his own I guess, though.

Although I do not like SUVs and dont like how Audi is making SUVs, I guess it was bound to happen and I should just accept it because SUV sell well and make $$$. More $$$ means more money for reaserch to build better beasts for the future (S and RS).
They get the idea from the Telly.

And yes, SUVs generate big $$$ for their manufactures.

Ben:addict: