PDA

View Full Version : The next RS4 engine (new rumors)

Erik
December 21st, 2003, 19:26
This is what I heard, but it goes in line with what I've heard from quattro GmbH.

RS4 - High-Rev V8, without turbos, but with Lamborghini technology and 420 hp.

noushy
December 28th, 2003, 16:34
There has been so much talk about what AUDI is going to put in their next generation cars. Recently, I have heard a high output V8 4.2 will be the standard V8 engine in most models, making around 330-340, basically the S4-S6-S8 engine. There will be a new 5.0 version, either V8 or V10, around 420hp. There is also a new 4.2T engine, RS6 based with around 500hp that will be either the new S6 or RS6. There was talk of the V10 in this type of setup, twin turbos and all making around 600hp, we will have to wait.

Noushy

CarbonFibre
December 29th, 2003, 04:37
It makes sense since they couldn't possibly fit the RS6 type engine under the hood of the B6 car. I guess they couldn't be satisfied with the higher performing version of a car having less cylinders than the other so they must do this. The way I saw it was that they could use the 3.0 biturbo engine (or some form of it) that they sell with the SEAT Cupra GT racecar. It makes a healthy 500 hp in race trim so I assume it would make nice power even in roadcar form. I guess it wouldn't make much sense from a marketing standpoint, though.

Erik
December 29th, 2003, 09:51
I think it's going to be a V8 because USA will be one of the markets for it. German car manufacturers report good sales to the USA at the moment.

Erik
December 30th, 2003, 19:28
A new rumor:

The next RS4 is undergoing winter testing in the north of Sweden.

To all spy photographers: Get us the pictures!!!

Klint
December 30th, 2003, 19:39
Originally posted by Erik
A new rumor:

The next RS4 is undergoing winter testing in the north of Sweden.

To all spy photographers: Get us the pictures!!!

errr...Erik, That includes you, your in Sweden!! Get out there and get snapping. ;)

The car sounds good! Hopefully audi will give us a saloon version.

:cheers:

Finnus
January 9th, 2004, 12:54
Hopefully audi will give us a saloon version.

I hope they offer both & manual vs tiptronic as well!

Finnus

:addict:

Nordschleife
January 9th, 2004, 13:23
Originally posted by Finnus
I hope they offer both & manual vs tiptronic as well!

Finnus

Ha Ha very funny.

Audihead
January 9th, 2004, 15:07
I know this may sound a little harsh, but if they only make the RS4 into a station wagon I will not even give it a second look. It's bad enough that to get an S4 I have to drive a sedan. I don't want to start a flame war with all the Avant or Sedan owners, I don't have a family or the need to haul things. I'm still in the Coupe phase of life.

:s4addict: -Bimmerhead

noushy
January 9th, 2004, 16:20
Obviously you are not keeping up with Audi, the S4 is also available as a two door, although this two door is a convertible. They may even toy with the idea of one, but doubtful since the RS cars are traditionally an avant (wagon).

This was not meant to be a slam, just a FYI, if you want a two door S4, buy the convertible this spring.

Noushy

Audihead
January 9th, 2004, 17:58
Originally posted by noushy
Obviously you are not keeping up with Audi, the S4 is also available as a two door, although this two door is a convertible. They may even toy with the idea of one, but doubtful since the RS cars are traditionally an avant (wagon).

This was not meant to be a slam, just a FYI, if you want a two door S4, buy the convertible this spring.

Noushy

I know of the convertible, it's going to be a nice ride. I just prefer a hard shell over my head, so do the driving instuctors at track events, it's very tough to deal with a convertible and find someone that wants to be in one at speed.

noushy
January 9th, 2004, 20:29
Bimmerhead,
You are right about racing, not the best way to go with a convert. I have driven in some SCCA events, so long as you have an approved roll cage, they will let you race. It just is a little more complicated. Look into it, there are some that are modular and can be taken down without much tools, so you can set it up to race when you want. Besides, maybe Audi will actually make a true coupe, since the body style is already done. Just have to make it a coupe. Or even better, offer a factory hard top.

Noushy

Audihead
January 9th, 2004, 21:00
That would be beautiful. Thanks for the info.

CarbonFibre
January 9th, 2004, 22:03
There will be a sedan, especially in the U.S. since that's what they did with the RS6. C'mon you just now they'll make one.

Benman
January 10th, 2004, 00:47
Originally posted by CarbonFibre
It makes sense since they couldn't possibly fit the RS6 type engine under the hood of the B6 car. I guess they couldn't be satisfied with the higher performing version of a car having less cylinders than the other so they must do this.

Why not? Rember that the 88 M3 was sold with the 4 cyl. motor when you could buy a 6 cyl 3 series. It worked for BMW. Why not Audi. And also there will be alot of us who will miss the TT set up.

Ben:addict:

CarbonFibre
January 10th, 2004, 02:27
I didn't say I thought that way I am just saying they may very well not use the 3.0 biturbo for this reason. I think they should use this engine.

Audihead
January 10th, 2004, 22:28
There will be a sedan, especially in the U.S. since that's what they did with the RS6. C'mon you just now they'll make one.

I hope they do. Because with the next M3 or M4 having a V-8 and the next C-class Merc. (C-55) from AMG having one as well, it's going to be a tight race for peoples money. I also think getting rid of the turbos is a great idea, one less thing to go wrong. I know it's an old cliche, but there's no substitute for cubic inches under the hood.

noushy
January 11th, 2004, 14:09
This debate goes back and forth over all the forums. As far as I know, Audi has commited to the V8 setup, they seem to think that is the way to go in the US. They may actually make the car with two different setups (possibly a v6tt), especially for europe where the engine displacement plays a huge role in insurance and registration. Lets hope they do the right thing, and keep the price reasonable (say $60k).

Noushy

Audihead
January 12th, 2004, 00:47
Originally posted by noushy
This debate goes back and forth over all the forums. As far as I know, Audi has commited to the V8 setup, they seem to think that is the way to go in the US. They may actually make the car with two different setups (possibly a v6tt), especially for europe where the engine displacement plays a huge role in insurance and registration. Lets hope they do the right thing, and keep the price reasonable (say $60k).

Noushy

Very nicely put. The 60K part would be very cool.

CarbonFibre
January 12th, 2004, 00:53
Originally posted by Bimmerhead
Very nicely put. The 60K part would be very cool.

It will most likely be way high in the 60s if at all since an average S4 stickers for like 52 or 53.

Finnus
January 12th, 2004, 12:10
It will most likely be way high in the 60s if at all since an average S4 stickers for like 52 or 53.

I agree high 60s sounds more likely. Mid to high 60s prices it midway between the S4 and the RS6. I think the pricing of the new BMW M5 could have some effect. Also, the E55 at $76,000 base will hopefully keep the price in check.

And, you know the way prices creep up as time goes on. When the RS6 was first announced, my dealer thought it would be in the $60-70,000 (USD) range!

Time will tell...

Finnus

Klint
January 12th, 2004, 16:38
I think the pricing of the new BMW M5 could have some effect.

Time will tell...

Finnus

Which affect would that be?

It appears the projected E60 M5 price is quite a few 1,000s more than the E39 M5.

:cheers:

Audihead
January 12th, 2004, 19:26
Just wondering, any of you guys think that Audi might go after the M3 CSL crowd with the new RS4? Like, with carbon-fiber roof and other little goodies. I have sneeking feeling they might and then try to slide in a good price like people have mentioned earlier. Between 65K & 75K? Just thinking.

Erik
January 12th, 2004, 19:45
I don't think they have an RS4 'CSL-style' yet.

Better hope for the LeMans quattro...

urquattro83
January 12th, 2004, 20:05
I've heard that the audi-engineers were impressed by the M3 CSL, so I think it will be possible that audi will reduce the weight of the RS4 to a minimum.

The RS4 doesn't sale as much as a M3, so it cost audi to much for a light-version like the CSL I think.

Erik
January 12th, 2004, 20:13
Yes, the ones I spoke to at quattro GmbH had a CSL loaner and they loved it!
They said they loved the sound of the engine, but that they had their own car around that sounded better (LeMans quattro V10?)

But I think Audi is far off using carbon fibre etc.
Audi is better at doing aluminium.

Audihead
January 12th, 2004, 20:14
I know, I like to dream big. But you know it's gotta be something really special to get the RS moniker put on it ie:RS4 & RS6 of present day. I think they might just blow everyone away with their next little creation. Maybe we can convince them to do it through osmosis with a car magazine under our pillows. Sleep well and dream big.

Finnus
January 12th, 2004, 20:23
Which affect would that be?

It appears the projected E60 M5 price is quite a few 1,000s more than the E39 M5.

That will most likely be true, but if the price of new M-5 is forced to be more in line with the E55 than our 2003 RS6, then that could help keep the price of the RS4 down. In effect, it sets an upper limit. IMO, if someone has the option of paying close to or the same $$ for the Audi "4" class vs the E55 or M-5, many will opt for the MB or BMW.

We've seen many people make the E-55 choice based on price alone on this board ...

It's all speculation at this time anyway. That's where the "time will tell" part comes in. Just my 2 cents.

Finnus

urquattro83
January 12th, 2004, 20:30
Yes Aluminium Space Frame is audi's own creation, like quattro and the TDI.

Audi make magnificant steps forwards, quattro and TDI has showed it. In future ASF will show it again I think.

But I don't know what is the wheight-difference between a bonnet (I hope I use the right English word :hmm: ) from Alu and a bonnet from carbon?

Off-topic:
Erik did you get a Privat Message from me about the problems with the space for video-clips? I've a lot of space for you! I Hear from you!

Audihead
January 12th, 2004, 20:33
That will most likely be true, but if the price of new M-5 is forced to be more in line with the E55 than our 2003 RS6, then that could help keep the price of the RS4 down. In effect, it sets an upper limit. IMO, if someone has the option of paying close to or the same $$ for the Audi "4" class vs the E55 or M-5, many will opt for the MB or BMW.

We've seen many people make the E-55 choice based on price alone on this board ...

It's all speculation at this time anyway. That's where the "time will tell" part comes in. Just my 2 cents.

Finnus

I have a question. Why are we trying to compare an A4 based car with ones that are larger and more $? I think it should be more in line with the next M3 or M4 / C-Class AMG offering (C-55) than cars in the next catagory which are beyond the S4 & RS4 now, much less in the future.

Audihead
January 12th, 2004, 20:40
[QUOTE]Originally posted by urquattro83
[B]Yes Aluminium Space Frame is audi's own creation, like quattro and the TDI.

Audi make magnificant steps forwards, quattro and TDI has showed it. In future ASF will show it again I think.

But I don't know what is the wheight-difference between a bonnet (I hope I use the right English word :hmm: ) from Alu and a bonnet from carbon?

I think you may have hit on a good combination. How about the ASF & Alum. body panels with a carbon-fiber hood which are already availible in the aftermarket.

CarbonFibre
January 13th, 2004, 02:35
Originally posted by Bimmerhead
I think you may have hit on a good combination. How about the ASF & Alum. body panels with a carbon-fiber hood which are already availible in the aftermarket.[/B]
I hope you're just talking about Audi sports cars in general and not the next RS4. We all know they wouldn't design and produce an ASF exclusive to the RS4 and have the rest of the A4 cars be steel. Too expensive.

Benman
January 13th, 2004, 03:17

I agree. It is more likely that it will end up VERY close to $70K, if not over $70K (but the $60K part would be nice:D ).:cheers:

Ben:addict:

Audihead
January 13th, 2004, 17:28
I hope you're just talking about Audi sports cars in general and not the next RS4. We all know they wouldn't design and produce an ASF exclusive to the RS4 and have the rest of the A4 cars be steel. Too expensive.

Yes I agree about the ASF being too expensive, but wouldn't that be cool. Maybe just alum. doors & carbon-fiber hood and trunk, that should fit in the budget. That should keep the little porker (A4/RS4) a little better balanced on the scales.

noushy
January 13th, 2004, 21:35
I agree with what you guys write, Audi is not going to commit a brand new ASF to a present model car; massive investment, small return. Especially a low volume sports sedan. This is how companies lose lots of money (ie lamborghini, maserati). Anyways, Audi probably will price it about 15k above the S4, but remember, this car will not cost as much over the price of an S4 as the RS6 did over an S6. The brakes, body, suspension are all unique to the RS6. Add the engine that is built by cosworth, and the assembly by quattro and you can see where the money goes. Also remember that the RS4 engine will most likely be a breathed on S4 engine (better breathing = more power). Better exhaust, better intake, better downpipes, better timing, much like a good tuner would do. This will yield the desired 70-80hp increase and keep most of the costs down. Lets hope the price does not break 65k or so (around the price of a mb clk55 which has a highly tuned v8.

Noushy

CarbonFibre
January 13th, 2004, 21:38
Yeah, the other nice thing would be if they got some wheels from a source outside themselves. The Ronal wheels Audi has are okay but if the thing came with some nice OZ or BBS wheels that would be nice.

Bauer
January 14th, 2004, 00:29
They better do this right, the last RS4 created some pretty big shoes to fill. I hpoe they go a little over the top on this one.....maybe a good track car especialy if they keep the weight down...what do ya think? :cheers:

CarbonFibre
January 14th, 2004, 00:44
Well if you want to talk about over the top then I saw they debut the A4 platform coupe and the B6 RS4 at the same time (in the same car). RS4 coupe sounds good to me :devil:

*Edit: If we want to go all out, the coupe will be an ASF and the ASF coupe body will be exclusive to the RS4. And while we're talking ridiculously, they will honor warrantees for licensed tuning products like they do in Europe with Abt (and sometimes MTM).

Erik
January 14th, 2004, 09:01
I really hope Audi goes 'over-the-top' to make this car special.
I think you're a bit low on the price tag, but it could be the difference between EU and US pricing.

The previous RS4 was really something special. The way that car looks is just amazing! Wide and agressive, still you have to know what it is to really discoer it in the traffic.

I bet they will come with a coupé version this time as well to compete with the M3/M4.

And...remember, if Audi releases a new RS4 it would be the first time they called an RS model the same thing twice.

DaveA3Turbo
January 14th, 2004, 16:50
My Dads UK Number one on the RS4 list.

Alot of you have gone to your dealers and put your name down, but that does nothing.

Our dealers rand Audi UK and spoke to them, and "replied there is no such modem but gave a model and release date of September this year"

So the RS4 with our details is on Audi UK listings. Gotta be special when you buy it.

Dave (This is no bull) September is expected.

:0: