PDA

View Full Version : What was Audi doing before the 1980s?

Klint
November 13th, 2003, 20:43
Hi,

I've heard about BMW building and supplying aircraft engines to the Nazis in the second world war. Then they went into cars producing the 507. Mercedes also has an interesting history going back many years. Porsche, Ferrari, Maserati etc all have historic pasts starting around the era of the Second World War.

Somehow, I don't recall Audi having any history before the 1980s when the quattro Rally car was squashing it's competitors.

Does anyone know anymore about Audi's past, prior to the 1980s?

:cheers:

roadrunner
November 13th, 2003, 21:23
Originally posted by Klint
Does anyone know anymore about Audi's past, prior to the 1980s?

well Klint - where shall i start :eye:

Audi was fouded by August Horch in 1899 as Horch...

Audi history (http://www.audi.com/com/en/company/history/history.jsp)

I also first noticed Audi, when they introduced the Audi quattro at the Geneva auto show in 1980 :0:

greetings
roadrunner

Klint
November 15th, 2003, 02:02
RoadRunner,

Thanks for the link(s) and info! There appears to be quite abit behind Audi. More than I thought.

Thanks again, it made an interesting read. :)

Benman
November 15th, 2003, 04:57
It is AMAZING how many people (Audi enthusiasts included) who don't know what the four rings stand for or the rest of Audi history. The first car company to exceed 250mph on the road (Rosemeyer was the pilot) the first to do better than .30 coeffeciency, the first to do roll over safety test. Not to mention the Auto Union's deep Nazi ties ( so was Mercedes!).

A LONG and very interesting history indeed!:cheers:

Ben:addict:

johann
November 16th, 2003, 14:06
Originally posted by Klint
I've heard about BMW building and supplying aircraft engines to the Nazis in the second world war. Then they went into cars producing the 507. Mercedes also has an interesting history going back many years. Porsche, Ferrari, Maserati etc all have historic pasts starting around the era of the Second World War.

You need to read up on your BMW history! ;)

First car from BMW was the BMW W 3/15 PS DA the was released in 1927 with a roraring 15 HP. http://www.bmw.com/eheritage/COM/en/1928/automobiles/animation/a4.jpg

Basically it was a based on the Austin Seven.

In 1932 the first true BMW, the 3/20 PS, is released.

1933 The original six-cylinder: the BMW 303 is released with the slogan "The most perfect, high-performance German small car". Cheap to run and low-maintenance, it is the last word in economy and outperforms the competition with its 1.2 litre six-cylinder engine. This, the patented tube frame and the double air intake grille at the front all signal the direction the brand's development will take.

1936 The BMW 328 celebrates its premiere with unique style: at the Nürburgring, Ernst Henne wins gold in the fastest standard-production 2-litre sports car. Winning over 120 other races between 1936 and 1940, only 464 vehicles are ever built. To this day, the supple aesthetics of the 328 continue to appeal to motorsports fans all the world over.

http://www.bmw.com/eheritage/COM/en/1936/automobiles/animation/a6.jpg

1939, a powerful and comfortable long-distance car, the 335 sedan and convertible are created in 1939. The first top-of-the-range cars from BMW, they possess a 3.5-litre engine with 90 hp, and feature torsion bar rear axle suspension. Only 400 cars are built, ceasing in 1941 as WWII forces production changes.

http://www.bmw.com/eheritage/COM/en/1939/automobiles/animation/a2.jpg

1951 BMW produces the 501, it is the first BMW automobile to be built completely in Munich. It is joined by the 502, which possesses the world's first V8 light-alloy engine.

First in 1956 is the 507 released.

All of the german industry was involved in the german war industry in WWII, like in all other countries taking part in the war. The correlation between this and them being Nazis is however unclear.

Cheers,
/Johan

Klint
November 16th, 2003, 14:49
hahaha...Johann,

Thanks for the mini write up.

I weren't too sure if BMW ever made any cars before the war.