PDA

View Full Version : What kind of lifestyle is associated with these careers?

Senjophic
April 20th, 2011, 06:22
I am in college right now majoring in Biology with hopes to become a Veterinarian. However, I also have a future lifestyle in mind. I hope to have pretty set work hours everyday and I want to have time to do my own thing, preferably on the weekends. I also would like to live in a city, perhaps New York. Is that lifestyle feasible for a vet? What about a psychologist? How demanding are these jobs?

RXBG
April 20th, 2011, 15:03
vet is a disposable income, cash based business. as such it is all about client volume. you will choose A) to work with an established practice and satrt as an employee with hopes of taking over or B) est. a priori your own brand new practice. in this case, the more populated the area the harder it will be to get cash flow going, etc...

your situation is not unlike dentistry up until 3-4 yrs ago (it is now more and more an insurance-based business).

Benman
April 20th, 2011, 15:25
Going along with RXBG, since it is disposable based income, the type of clients you have will greatly affect your income levels. Vets for the rich and famous make a he'll of a lot more than vets at Petsmart. However, the latter is something you can get into right away, the former takes years of building up reputation and word of mouth.

margaretB
April 21st, 2011, 05:42
Its up to you what you really want. Do you really want to be a veterinarian or a psychologist? Which ever you choose, you'll be happy for it because it's what you want and where you will enjoy to do. Though there's a big difference on the two. Others would say the veterinarian has disposable income but its not most important though.

RXBG
April 21st, 2011, 12:07
wait a sec. is that your actual pic margaret? you're much better looking than ben, and i've never even seen him.

Benman
April 26th, 2011, 04:45
That's only because she doesn't have a shaved head.

MPT
April 29th, 2011, 12:30
senjophic: Sorry i'm hijacking your thread, hope it's okay..

your situation is not unlike dentistry up until 3-4 yrs ago (it is now more and more an insurance-based business).

Could you elaborate on the whole dentistry situation - is this a general picture or something isolated to where you live?

RXBG
April 29th, 2011, 20:31
LOL. actually, i always thought you were a car ben. a daytonaRS6 to be exact.

RXBG
April 29th, 2011, 20:33
it is the general pic in the US as a whole. and, come to think of it, of the decline of capitalism everywhere except china. in fact, if the dude is smart he'll go straight to china and open a business there.

MPT
April 29th, 2011, 21:19
it is the general pic in the US as a whole. and, come to think of it, of the decline of capitalism everywhere except china. in fact, if the dude is smart he'll go straight to china and open a business there.

Don't know about vet, but there's no money in dentistry in asia. All i know is some parts of the world are inflating bubbles, where people with jobs in specific sectors are making huge money, just 'living on stolen time' - amazing nobody can see it yet.

What i meant was ; could you expand on what you said about it being a 'insurance-based business' - i don't get the term, unless it's meant literally in some way.