PDA

View Full Version : Test drive in TT V6 DSG

MichaelJP
August 19th, 2003, 13:08
Just got back from a brief 1/2 hour tryout with the new TT.

Got to say, extremely impressed with the DSG box. It is as smooth as a torque convertor shift round town, and is fast and precise on country roads.

I recently owned an M3 with SMG II and the DSG is massively superior in all respects. The M3 made passengers feel the driver was a beginner in urban conditions, they wouldn't even notice DSG.

Obviously the TT felt a bit underpowered just stepping out of my RS6, but from my short drive the handling felt taut and the engine revved willingly and smoothly.

Hope the use of this gearbox becomes more widespread, maybe even in the next RS6?

- Michael

Erik
August 19th, 2003, 13:21
Thanks for the report. Sounds very interesting.

Only drawback I understand is the weight which is more than the SMG.

avdh
August 21st, 2003, 20:34
Now let's hope for an S3 and an RS3 with DSG :)

gnomik007
August 22nd, 2003, 00:34
DSG has to be at least an option on RS6:argue:

eph94
August 22nd, 2003, 02:05
Are you considering adding the 3.2TT DSG to your stable? We are contemplating the Roadster version, but I don't want to place an order without driving one first. And then we'll be heading into winter in the USA, so I may as well wait until the spring. I must say that that I am very intrigued by the direct shift gearbox. The wife is the one who wants the car and would be satisfied with the 1.8T FWD TT-R Tip, but I think I might want to drive it every now and then too hence my desire to bump up to the 3.2 DSG. Or will I never want to get out of the RS6?? If that's the case, then I may as well save some money and get her her boulevard cruiser.

MichaelJP
August 22nd, 2003, 10:18
Originally posted by JJV-MA
...or will I never want to get out of the RS6?? If that's the case, then I may as well save some money and get her her boulevard cruiser.

Well they are very different cars. I may get one, mainly as a fun car. Sometimes it's nice to swap to a lighter, smaller car, especially for the twisties:) And then when you get back in the RS6 you'll really appreciate the torque/power.

I suppose for you it's a case of take a test drive and see what you think. It's certain that DSG is a great technological advance and we'll doubtless be seeing it in more widespread use over the next few years.

- Michael