PDA

View Full Version : Texas Mile March 2009

SAFE4NOW
February 21st, 2009, 16:51
Just curious, is anyone considering going down to South Texas ( Goliad ) in March?

www.texasmile.com

I have been to every event since it started, I have never seen a Rs6 show up. I am curious what a stock / ECU upgraded rS6 could pull off.

Steve

SAFE4NOW
March 22nd, 2009, 03:11
Got the list of vehicles attending the event. :idea:
Corvettes ( Including John Hennessy's 2009 ZR1 ) , Vipers, a Lamborghini, several Mustangs and GT500's, a couple Ford GT's, Porsche(s), MB CLS63, MB CLK Black, etc :bow:

There are only a few purpose built LSR vehicles signed up. There will be the normal Kawasaki vs Suzuki battle happing too. :wo:

It's a safe enviroment to see just what your car can do in a controlled enviroment beyond the standard 1/4mile time/speeds we see every weekend.

I know the standing mile is not for everyone, mostly those who enjoy 1/8mile and 1/4mile events, but with more space to keep going.

Seeing all these street cars go is fun. Being part of it is better IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Barber, Motorsports Ranch, Eagles Canyon, heck even my monthly Sunday Morning Drives.... But as you can see in my Sig.... I bring the right tool for the event at hand. I realized many years ago, the Rs6 is not at home on a road course.. ( maybe the Rs4 ) it CAN be made to play, which is fun, but gets costly, in comparison to the Lotus. The Lotus won't break 140mph with the wind behind it...:revs:

So, I hope some of the Houston or other Tx,Ok,La, Rs6 guys can make it out.

I'll be there in the Taxi no matter what setting a base line to work up from starting Friday. :addict:

Speed TV will be there, so I am betting I will get noticed, even if they are laughing at me :hihi:..LOL

Steve

Ruergard
March 22nd, 2009, 10:32
A lot of nice cars there is, will be very interesting to see what the beast is capable of! :addict:

Don't forget to bring a camera and share some pics with us!

SAFE4NOW
March 23rd, 2009, 00:01
I will have digital camera and others are supposed to bring video. I may not have time to set up in car video with everything else I have going on the first part of the week.

If anyone else is going and has an in car set up, I would be happy to allow it to be put in...

On a side note, I went out early this morning before my Sunday Morning Drive with the local audi group, I found myself on an empty section of freeway. So, I looked over at my passenger and said " What the heck! ":race::race::race:

Slowed to a complete stop ( after checking my mirrors ) cleared the odometer and zero'd out the Garmin. Foot to the floor, 6/10th of a mile later, 162 showing on the Garmin, before making the sweeping right hander and the traffic I did not know was there. I may go back later and see if I can start earlier in the straight so I can get a full mile run, with shut down room... this looks promising!:brag:

So, any bets? 170? 175? 180? 185+ ? :hahahehe:

Steve

Ruergard
March 23rd, 2009, 06:35
Good! :thumb:

Interesting.. 170 mph shouldn't be a problem. But how much over that I don't know... Modifications on your beast?

SAFE4NOW
March 28th, 2009, 02:12
1st day down and 2 more to go. It's late ( for me ) and I have been up since 5:30am.

1. Stock Mode, 93oct fuel, mid 70's temp humid, headwind, Sport mode, best speed was 160.xxx mph
2. Revo Mode, 105 fuel, high 80's-low 90's temp, crosswind, Sport mode, best speed was 168.xxmph
3. Check engine light off/on during the day with right side cam pos sensor faults again ( light went off before dealer had part in stock so I ran with out the repair )
4. I cannot help but feel that the sensor is not working therefore holding the performance back somewhat. Light is off tonight.
5. It is supposed to be cool mid 40's tomorrow morning and I have been running 105 all day today, so it should be pure unmixed 105 for tomorrows runs.
6. Took alot of pictures ( to be posted when I get back to Dallas ) favorite and most expensive: Porsche Gt1, Bugotti ???? < Not Veyron > Carerra GT, GT40, a couple Zr1's, a pair of Lamborghini's, MB CLS63, etc...
7. Top speed was Supra at 248.xxx 1st run, then 228.xxx before blowing its motor all over the track.
8. Drove friends GT2 to 188.xxx and experienced how smooth the Rs6 is in comparision.

Thats about it, I will I could have said I broke into the 180's... but something is holding me back???

I'll be back out at the track at 730am tomorrow morning.... hopefully with better results!

more to follow....

Steve

SAFE4NOW
March 31st, 2009, 02:57
Best speed I could get was 169.0mph using REVO software set to 9,9,9 running Chevron 105 Oxygenated fuel and 3" straight pipes from the OEM cats back.

40psi in tires all around. Put transmission in "Sport" mode. Paddles or Tip mode caused transmisson to shift at 5500+/- RPM where-as in Sport it would pull all the way up to 7000RPM before softly engaging the next gear.

Prior to the event, I had a check engine light for a right side cam positon sensor failure, that went away a day before the trip ( dealer did not have part in stock anyways ) could I assume it was still present, light just went off, and it was possibly not advancing the cam(s) therefore keeping my top end speed down?

The car pulled nicely off the line and pulled strong the whole way, I was regularly at 140 at the 1/2 mile mark everytime.

Any suggestions to where I should look next in my quest? What is my next step?
Losing weight ( Wheels, remaining exhaust, etc ) Down pipes, Coilovers are en route tomorrow....

Speed channel was all over the car Friday during filming. I did not get interviewed on camera, but I did answer alot of questions. I found myself in the background of alot of their filming other cars and drivers as well. It seems the Taxi theme went over really well. Supercars Exposed will be showing on the Speed Channel in the next few months, so we will see what makes the cut and not...

Great fun, alot of great cars... I will reserve the list of cars I was faster than until their speeds are offically posted, but I can tell you that I bettered alot of cars I thought would be faster ( Lamborghini, M5, Vipers, Vettes, Porsche, etc )

Steve

Erik
March 31st, 2009, 06:46
Sorry I don't have much information to help, but reading with great interest.

Looking forward to reading the list :D

Duma
March 31st, 2009, 18:21
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_qLmgJHC8gxU/SdFmviofmsI/AAAAAAAACaI/0fSod5DKZfs/s800/EVOMS231.jpg
This is the GTXXX Porsche 996 Turbo setting a new world record for the standing mile at 231.4MPH!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0P6VDQ1YDs

Ruergard
March 31st, 2009, 23:08
That's just insane, one seriously quick 911! And with those looks... Well, I wouldn't think it would be capable of those speeds running into on the streets.

Congratulations on your results Steve, ain't bad at all! Really looking forward to a longer list with cars and their reached top speeds. :thumb: