PDA

View Full Version : Smart (Brabus)

Erik
August 5th, 2003, 10:47
I'm looking for a small car to my girlfriend.

I've been looking around trying to find something different and came up with the idea to import a Smart Brabus from Germany where the prices are liveable.

Anyone driven the Smart? Anyone driven the Smart Brabus?

Now this is a car that's only going to be driven around 20-30 km per day in max 50-70 km/h so please avoid the 'it's not going to be a great track car.' :eye:

Smart Brabus (http://www.thesmart.co.uk/smart_range/brabus/index.asp)

Klint
August 5th, 2003, 14:56
I've never driven one let along the Brabus version. So, feel free to take my opinion lightly ;)

It's a funky car, a good alternative to getting a scooter/moped.

It's also small, made out of plastic, which means if you have a 40 tonne truck coming at it...chances of coming out how you would like to, are lower than what it would be with a similarly priced hot hatch or BMW Mini. And with BMW having their TLC package, it makes the car rather desirable vehicle for long term ownership (5 years).

Or...Audi A2...Might be a few more €€€, but then there's that safety factor.

Maybe you and your lady have slightly different priorities, but safety in a small car comes out tops for me. If it was a bigger car safety would go down a couple places on the list.

Just a little question though...What's your price range and your other criteria's Btw...nothing too personal I hope. :)

:cheers:

Erik
August 5th, 2003, 17:43
I know it's not safe. She just needs a very small car to reach the train station back and forth. The Smart is cool, the Brabus is actually ultra cool.

I was checking mobile.de for Smarts in Germany and discovered that they Brabus available from 4.000 Euros. Now I have no idea of the conditions of those vehicles but since the Smart has not been sold here as long as in Germany they're not available under 8.000 Euros (from dealer.)

The Smart Brabus from the dealer is around 20.000 Euros (new)!

I guess we have to test drive. I guess I will be dissapointed. I want a Porsche but she doesn't. Untill I can afford a 993 or 996 I guess I'll wait. And I would need that Smart anyway since I wouldn't dare parking the Porsche anywhere near the station...

krabu
August 5th, 2003, 17:53
Why not a Mini Cooper S? :D

Erik
August 5th, 2003, 18:05
Originally posted by krabu
Why not a Mini Cooper S? :D

Way too expensive...if I can stay under 5.000 Euros I'm very happy.

itisme
August 5th, 2003, 19:42
Why not a Smart Roadster Coupé 6-cylinder from Brabus? :D
/e: forget (over 5.000€)

Jetset
August 12th, 2003, 17:35
Hey Erik, alltough I´m living in Finland I´ve a Smart cabriolet. It really is a great drivers car, when you upgrade tyres and alloys... My car is black, gray inside and it has 16´ chrome wheels fitted in 195/40/16 back and 175/40716 front... Looks great!

About the safety; it has airbags, it´s EuroNcap tested (three or four stars), easy to drive everywhere especially in the city and uses Mercedes parts.

I´ve had it for 3 years, driven 8000 km and there hasn´t been anything wrong whit it.

In my opinion I´d suggest you to buy the cabriolet; it works really well and is an allround car (not allroad car) also in winter.

I´ve also driven the Brabus version of Smart and that´s good one too. It really feels like you are driving a bit bigger car.
All in all I´g go for the basic model, and change tyres and alloys and save some money.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

-Jetset

Erik
August 12th, 2003, 18:06
I saw the testing of the new 4-door Smart at the GP-track at Nürburgring. I have a video as well although there's a fence in between.