PDA

View Full Version : R15 is super secret

RXBG
January 25th, 2009, 17:18
apparently audi will not even show it up for the sebring 12hour pre race days, jan 26-8. world debut will be the day of the race.... or day before.

what is audi up to? does that thing have a flux capacitor under the hood?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72700

:eye:

Z07
January 25th, 2009, 17:21
I'm guessing it's some visible aerodynamic design breakthrough. Hence no photos.

Mr Balsen
January 25th, 2009, 17:38
The same way you never saw a pictures of the front suspension from the Audi R10....

Frederic

Ruergard
January 25th, 2009, 20:40
And probably superquick!

Shall be very interesting to see what they've come up with.. The R10 is quite a machine.. :bow:

AndyBG
January 25th, 2009, 21:27
Yes, but how come no one capture it while testing...? :vhmmm:

ZeroCool
February 2nd, 2009, 19:57
It's going to be a Diesel again (what surprise :D) but not as big ;)

RXBG
February 2nd, 2009, 20:16
press release:

open cockpit
smaller, even more efficient diesel

i would also assume:

easily converted to closed cockpit for 2010 regulations
special aerodynamics

mystery:

there is something truly special about this prototype. name says it all. jump from R10 to R15 is much larger than R8 to R10, and audi confirms this. perhaps it will be a biodiesel-hybrid. if this is the case no one will have a chance against this thing. and- as quiet as the R10 was not even the birds flying around will be able to hear it! the mnain problem kristensen will have won't be peugeot- it will be blood clots and birds hitting him in the head!

The Pretender
February 2nd, 2009, 21:41
Yes, but how come no one capture it while testing...? :vhmmm:
Two word's: Ehra Lessien. ;)

Jarod.

RXBG
February 2nd, 2009, 21:45
debut there? or you saw it there?

AndyBG
February 2nd, 2009, 21:49
I don't know what that means... :D

ZeroCool
February 2nd, 2009, 23:17
it will be open again ...

smaller, efficient diesel is right ;) but that don't means that it has lower hp output :D

The RS6
February 2nd, 2009, 23:44
Well let me be the first to ask a potentially really dumb question :)

We had racing cars - R8 and R10, and street cars R8 and R8V10...sooo...here's R15...can we expect something for the streets carrying a "15" in it's name? :)

AndyBG
February 3rd, 2009, 00:03
R15 with 1500 hp! :D

chewym
February 3rd, 2009, 01:00
debut there? or you saw it there?

I would imagine that's where it is testing. It was also tested in Spain or some other southern European country. It looks like Audi will show it when Sebring testing starts on the week of the race. Should be awesome with all of this suspense.

Completely the opposite of the R10 launch when Audi showed it well in advance of Sebring.

kju
February 3rd, 2009, 03:28
I don't know what that means... :D

Ehra Lessien is the super high tec top secret test center of the VWAG. There is also this 10km perfect flat Straight where James May (Top Gear) drove 407 km/h with the Bugatti Veyron.
Its so secret that i dont know if even planes are allowed to fly over this area. (Kinda like Area 51 ^^)
maybe there are also aliens driving with cars who knows....

JavierNuvolari
February 3rd, 2009, 03:39
You can see the straight from google earth. I do believe it was top secret long time ago mate.

The RS6
February 3rd, 2009, 09:56
You can see the straight from google earth. I do believe it was top secret long time ago mate.

Yep

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/2068/44347473qr0.th.jpg (http://img27.imageshack.us/my.php?image=44347473qr0.jpg)

AndyBG
February 3rd, 2009, 13:14
Every day you learn something new... I never now about this. Interesting!

Erik
February 3rd, 2009, 14:22
Just type in Ehra Lessien in Google Earth, go a bit north to find it. :)

AndyBG
February 3rd, 2009, 16:46
Just type in Ehra Lessien in Google Earth, go a bit north to find it. :)

Will I be able to see R15 thundering around...? :D

AndyBG
February 3rd, 2009, 17:57
McNish is optimistic about R15...

http://www.crash.net/ALMS/News/142470/1/mcnish_audi_out_to_sink_opposition_at_titanic_sebr ing.html

MihokS5
February 4th, 2009, 21:55
press release:

open cockpit
smaller, even more efficient diesel

i would also assume:

easily converted to closed cockpit for 2010 regulations
special aerodynamics

mystery:

there is something truly special about this prototype. name says it all. jump from R10 to R15 is much larger than R8 to R10, and audi confirms this. perhaps it will be a biodiesel-hybrid. if this is the case no one will have a chance against this thing. and- as quiet as the R10 was not even the birds flying around will be able to hear it! the mnain problem kristensen will have won't be peugeot- it will be blood clots and birds hitting him in the head!

The difference in number change from 10 to 15 does not indicate how significant of a change it will be. Audi Sport uses the R numbers as internal project designations. The B7 DTM cars were "R12" and R12plus...

RXBG
February 5th, 2009, 18:56
The difference in number change from 10 to 15 does not indicate how significant of a change it will be. Audi Sport uses the R numbers as internal project designations. The B7 DTM cars were "R12" and R12plus...

original link has audi quoting that it will indeed be a bigger change.

Mr Balsen
February 5th, 2009, 19:18
It is secret to a point that even my little finger has heard nothing regarding the R15....

Frederic

Qisha
February 6th, 2009, 12:36
Dear Friends,

my little finger

...this is something you can relate with the R15 in some way. :)

Qisha

roadrunner
February 6th, 2009, 13:31
Dear Friends,

...this is something you can relate with the R15 in some way. :)

Qisha

So a guess of a new V8 TDI engine isn't that far off :vhmmm:

Mr Balsen
February 6th, 2009, 13:36
1 turbo
5 cylinders

Frederic

roadrunner
February 6th, 2009, 13:44
1 turbo
5 cylinders

Frederic

Or 1.5 L engine - VAG is downsizing after all :hihi:

Mr Balsen
February 6th, 2009, 13:57
1.5l is for one piston. and it is a 3 pistons engine like the old DKW engine in the 3=6 cars ! ! !

Frederic

ChicagoAudi
February 7th, 2009, 19:26
Audi's 24 Hours of Le Mans efforts have typically focused on the introduction of new technologies before wide scale adaptation to road vehicles. Consider that the R8 introduced FSI or petrol direct injection technology or that the R10 introduced a high-performance TDI diesel engine; therefore, a logical conclusion for using a new nomenclature is that Audi is preparing the R15 to introduce a new engine-related technology.

Volkswagen a couple of years ago had shown a Touran with a CCS (Combined Combustion System) engine. Mercedes has shown the DiesOtto concept and GM, via Opel, is rumored to introduced a HCCI engine (homogeneous charge combustion ignition) engine before any other automaker.

Audi, and VAG, have developed a significant portion of the components necessary for a CCS engine. For example, direct fuel injection, variable valve lift and timing systems, forced induction systems with both supercharger and turbochargers, and a Fischer-Tropsch GTL fuel (Shell SunFuel) all exist within Audi's technology portfolio.

Could the R15 usher in a new form of engine/combustion technology? The 24 Hours of Le Mans is the perfect testbed and marketing platform to introduce high fuel efficiency and low emission technologies.

-J

ZeroCool
February 7th, 2009, 19:30
i just know that it's going to be smaller than the V12 TDI ... but V8 or V10 .. i don't know ;)

i guess V10 TDI with over 500 hp :D
because over 500hp for a V8 is really too much - don't you think so?

ChicagoAudi
February 7th, 2009, 19:50
Hypothetically, using the Mercedes DiesOtto concept as reference, if an 1.8L four cylinder is capable of developing almost 240 bhp then a V8 version of this engine could, conceivably, develop 500 bhp.

A CCS engine could still be a TDI engine since the HCCI functionality is limited to low load cycles; however, with a significant reduction in emissions.

ZeroCool
February 7th, 2009, 19:52
yes, sure it can be :)

it was just my guess...we'll have to wait and see ;)

Mr Balsen
February 7th, 2009, 22:12
No V10. It was never allowed by VW....

Frederic

The Pretender
February 7th, 2009, 22:43
V8 TDI is not able to produce 500 hp with les then 4.8 litre.
In that case Audi could switch to a Biofuel engine.

Jarod.

ZeroCool
February 7th, 2009, 23:51
So - no V10 - no V8 and definitely no V12 ... what else?

The Pretender
February 7th, 2009, 23:59
So - no V10 - no V8 and definitely no V12 ... what else?
W16 Bio-Diesel engine.

Jarod.

ZeroCool
February 8th, 2009, 00:14
:applause:

good one ;) :thumb:

i said smaller than the V12 ... ;)

W16 Bio-Diesel engine.

Jarod.

The RS6
February 8th, 2009, 01:13
Well it's called R15...so... 3 inline 5's connected to a N15 :D :D

AndyBG
February 8th, 2009, 03:35
V6 bi-turbo...?

itisme
February 9th, 2009, 22:00
any news on R15? when is presentation?

The Pretender
February 9th, 2009, 22:08
any news on R15? when is presentation?
12 hours Sebring.

Jarod.

chewym
February 9th, 2009, 23:46
V8 TDI is not able to produce 500 hp with les then 4.8 litre.
In that case Audi could switch to a Biofuel engine.

Jarod.

The ACO rules vary turbo boost pressure with displacement which theoretically should make a 4 liter TDI just as powerful as the 5.5 liter TDI. The 4 liter TDI is allowed to run more turbo boost than the 5.5 liter diesel.

This is theory. In reality both Audi and Peugeot went for the biggest displacement allowed (5.5 liters). The V12 configuration was the most appropriate for such displacement.

So in theory an R15 with a V8 (with 4 liters of displacement) should make the same horsepower as an R10 with a 5.5 liter V12 with 2009 restrictors. Obviously torque won't be the same.

It is rumored that the R10 made above its quoted output of 650 horsepower, possibly almost 100 horsepower more. This year the ACO gave the diesel engines smaller restrictors. Acura quotes 620 horsepower for its gasoline powered P1 (4 liter naturally aspirated) I imagine Audi will quote about 625 horsepower for the R15, but in reality it will probably make somewhat more.

Ruergard
February 10th, 2009, 19:18
http://www.worldcarfans.com/9090210.010/audi-r15-tdi-to-make-race-debut-in-12-hours-of-sebring

RXBG
February 10th, 2009, 20:10
i think it could be a biodiesel hybrid V8.

The Pretender
February 12th, 2009, 00:30
Not any more.

http://www.autosport.com/images/upload/1234381226.jpg

Audi's new Le Mans racer revealed

By Simon Strang Wednesday, February 11th 2009, 19:33 GMT

Autosport can exclusively reveal the first image of the car Audi hope will continue their unbroken record of diesel-powered victories at Le Mans in June, as they seek to keep Peugeot at bay.

This spy-shot of Audi's new R15 TDI, seen in secret testing at Vallelunga, (more of which can be seen in this week's Autosport magazine, on sale tomorrow) reveals just how radical the German manufacturer's approach has been to the car that will replace their all-conquering R10.

Audi won the 2008 Le Mans 24 Hours, both Le Mans Series and American Le Mans titles, and Petit Le Mans, but the need for a new car was apparent as the German manufacturer was outdone for pace by Peugeot's 908 HDi FAP last year.

The R15 features a radical high-nose concept that looks similar to the approach used by the Renault Formula One team with their new R29. It is a major departure from the pointy, low-nose of its predecessor.

The car's radiators also appear to have been moved closer to the front wheel, probably in an effort to improve the car's weight distribution, hence the interesting scalloped ducts and shaping of the sidepods and rear cowling.

Other interesting developments on the car include a much lower, tidier rear end in an effort to regain some of the downforce lost to the new LMP1 regulations (which call for a 20 per cent reduction in aero) as well as innovative wing-mounted rear lights.

In a statement released by Audi yesterday, the team said the car has many 'technically innovative features' and will use a new 'smaller, lighter and even more efficient turbocharged diesel engine'.

The R15 has been testing in secret since before Christmas and will be raced for the first time in a two-car attack on the Sebring 12 Hours on March 21.

Head of Audi Motorsport Dr. Wolfgang Ullrich said of the programme: "So far the R15 TDI has performed as we expected. Now it must also prove itself in race conditions. Sebring is a particularly hard race and is therefore perfectly suited to reveal even the smallest of weaknesses."

Allan McNish, who is one of the drivers to have tested the car said: "I drove it for the first time before Christmas as planned in Spain and everything went well. Since then Audi Sport has been busy with extensive testing and everything is progressing very well and on schedule - it's a tremendous car.

"I have been in the Audi 'family' for a few years now and have confidence that the team in Ingolstadt have again designed and built us a worthy successor to the R10 TDI," added the two-time Le Mans winner.

Audi Sport Team Joest has also confirmed their driver line-ups for Sebring with McNish sharing one car with his usual partners Rinaldo Capello and eight-time Le Mans winner Tom Kristensen, and the second machine piloted by Germans Lucas Luhr, Mike Rockenfeller and Marco Werner.

To get a closer look at the Audi R15 and read expert analysis on the radical new prototype, buy Autosport magazine, on sale from February 12.

Jarod.

The Pretender
February 12th, 2009, 00:49
http://www.racingworld.it/public/news_foto/lms/2192rw.jpg

Jarod.

RXBG
February 12th, 2009, 15:08
sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

crespo
February 12th, 2009, 15:47
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2009/02/Audi_R15_TDI_LMP1.jpg

from jalopnik (http://jalopnik.com/5151809/audi-r15-tdi-le-mans-racer-revealed-early)

AndyBG
February 12th, 2009, 16:24
It really looks good...!

The Pretender
February 12th, 2009, 17:03
http://www.audiblog.nl/wp-content/r15-lm-p1.jpg

Jarod.

Leadfoot
February 12th, 2009, 17:36
In a statement released by Audi yesterday, the team said the car has many 'technically innovative features' and will use a new 'smaller, lighter and even more efficient turbocharged diesel engine'.I am interested to hear what size this engine actually is and how much output it has compared to the old R10TDi.

Maybe that was the 'downsizing' that Qisha was talking about and not the RS5. :D

The Pretender
February 13th, 2009, 22:30
http://www.audiblog.nl/wp-content/audi-r15-tdi-lm-p1.jpg

Jarod.

Ruergard
February 13th, 2009, 22:51
Looks very good, and angry! :king:

Now we're only waiting for what's under the bonnet..

Mr Balsen
February 13th, 2009, 23:22
let's imagine the air intake on each side are feeding a turbo.
So the engine is V Architecture !

Frederic

ZeroCool
February 15th, 2009, 17:28
I think the R15 TDI will get a V8 TDI Bi-Turbo... that's the first big test for the engine - and then the other AUDI's will get this engine :D

chewym
February 15th, 2009, 23:18
I think the R15 TDI will get a V8 TDI Bi-Turbo... that's the first big test for the engine - and then the other AUDI's will get this engine :D

The racing Audi engines and production Audi engines aren't the same thing.

Based on the current rules a V8 TDI would be small to be competitive, a V10 TDI is more likely for the R15.

The Pretender
February 15th, 2009, 23:23
The racing Audi engines and production Audi engines aren't the same thing.

Based on the current rules a V8 TDI would be small to be competitive, a V10 TDI is more likely for the R15.
I would not count on a V10 TDI.

Jarod.

ZeroCool
February 16th, 2009, 10:16
i know that they are not the same thing ...

but they can use the knowledge :)

Leadfoot
February 17th, 2009, 00:37
I reckon it will be a V8TDi this time round, or maybe a V12TDi, but then again they might just stick with the V10TDi.

I bet I'm right.

JavierNuvolari
February 17th, 2009, 02:27
I reckon it will be a V8TDi this time round, or maybe a V12TDi, but then again they might just stick with the V10TDi.

I bet I'm right.

Hahaha, well player sir, well played.

Z07
February 22nd, 2009, 12:26
http://www.supercars.net/index-1-2009NewLayout.html#658

Audi has now revealed the first image of their R15 prototype that will debut next month at the Sebring 12 Hour race. After skipping the Sebring test days in favor of private testing, the car was caught finally caught last weekend.

This new P1 prototype is drastically different looking from the outgoing R10 model. The most obvious change is the new wider 'platypus' nose with an aerodynamic air vent on top. At the rear, a smaller wing is fitted to suit new regulations and features curved wing mounts. The front fenders are cut to reveal gills behind the front wheel and help to direct air to engine. The R15 is powered by a heavy and robust diesel V12 in keeping with Audi's continued promotion of oil burners.

At Sebring, Audi will have to worry about both the upcoming Acura ARX-02a and long-time LMS winner Peugeot. This will mark a historic Sebring when three major manufacturers will complete for overall victory-two with entirely new cars.

The Pretender
February 22nd, 2009, 12:35
V12 TDI. ???

Jarod.

Leadfoot
February 22nd, 2009, 17:03
The R15 is powered by a heavy and robust diesel V12 in keeping with Audi's continued promotion of oil burners.Well there you go, I knew I was right. :D

Serious, we all should have seen this coming, like don't they have a surplus of might Q7 V12TDi engines just sitting around since the world economy crash. :hihi:

chewym
February 23rd, 2009, 05:12
Some people need to read Audi press releases.

The new Le Mans prototype is equipped with a smaller, lighter and even more efficient TDI engine.

http://www.audiusanews.com/newsrelease.do?id=1135&mid=34

An R15 V12 TDI can be smaller/lighter/more efficient than the "old" R10 V12 TDI, but you would need to work some magic to accomplish those goals with a V12. Most likely the R15 TDI will have less cylinder than the R10 TDI. This is the easiest way to make an engine smaller and lighter.

But taking away cylinders gives you less displacement which the ACO rules don't correct for 100%.

Displacement and cylinder count are still mysteries. One source says a 5.5 liter V10. Same displacement as the current V12 but with 2 less cylinders.