PDA

View Full Version : Audi Pulls Out Of 2009 Alms!!!!!!!!!!

RXBG
December 5th, 2008, 14:36
*PRESS RELEASE*

* Programmes in the DTM, at Le Mans and in customer sport
* No activities in the 2009 American Le Mans Series

Ingolstadt – Audi concentrates its motorsport programmes for the 2009 season on the new R15 TDI sport prototype for the 24 Hours of Le Mans, the re-worked racing touring car A4 DTM and the newly developed R8 LMS for customer use in the GT3 class. Audi will not be represented by its factory team Audi Sport North America in the American Le Mans Series in 2009.

As a result of its newly aligned motorsport programme Audi offers its motorsport customers a bespoke vehicle concept for the first time: Audi Sport developed the new R8 LMS specifically to suit the user-friendly and cost-effective requirements in the production-based GT3 class in international motorsport. The powerful 500 hp plus race car based on the Audi R8 is due to be delivered in order to prove itself on track throughout the 2009 season.

The American Le Mans Series involvement will not be continued. Audi entered the American Le Mans Series in the year 2000 and has been instrumental in building up this championship ever since. The championship developed to become one of the most fascinating motorsport series within a few years, which offered and still offers the ever increasing fan community exciting motorsport. The ALMS is also recognised internationally and is regarded as the world’s best sportscar championship. "The decision to withdraw was a very difficult one also for these reasons. Furthermore, with the Champion racing team we also had a partner that operates at the highest level. The extraordinary dedication and precision of Team Champion was the key to Audi’s victories over the last few years in America. We achieved an unprecedented winning series together. Since the 2000 season Audi has won the LMP1 title nine-times in succession in this high-calibre sportscar championship. Our brand dominated proceedings last season by taking seven wins in eleven races. TDI in racing supported the market launch of Audi TDI technology in the USA perfectly," says Head of Audi Motorsport Dr Wolfgang Ullrich positively of the AUDI AG involvement in the ALMS.

Even though AUDI AG concentrates its factory involvement at European venues throughout the 2009 season in these economically tough times, the American motorsport friends will be treated to a premiere: The completely newly developed Audi R15 TDI sports prototype should make its debut on 21 March 2009 during the 12-hour race at Sebring, Florida (USA). This international sportscar classic, which should be contested by Audi Sport Team Joest, is traditionally regarded as excellent preparation and final test-race for the 24 Hours of Le Mans (France). At the same time, the race at Sebring with its special demands made of man and machine guarantees excellent motorsport.

ZCD2.7T
December 5th, 2008, 15:07
That's a real drag, though LMP1 had become a one-marque series, for all practical purposes. That makes it understandable, in the current context of even F1 teams having a hard time finding sponsorshipe (Honda F1, anyone?)

I'm still hoping for a chance to see the GT3 R8 compete somewhere close to home sometime in '09....:race:

JavierNuvolari
December 5th, 2008, 15:16
Just read about it as well as Honda pulling from F1. The last one impressed me the most, they've had that race team since 1964.

Mockenrue
December 5th, 2008, 18:29
This is a massive blow considering they've only just announced that they won't be defending their LMS title either: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72314

We'll only get to see the new R15 TDi in action twice all year, at Sebring and at Le Mans. :noshake:

ZCD2.7T
December 5th, 2008, 19:39
This is a massive blow considering they've only just announced that they won't be defending their LMS title either: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72314

We'll only get to see the new R15 TDi in action twice all year, at Sebring and at Le Mans. :noshake:

Wow - I hadn't heard about them pulling out of LMS.

It ain't pretty out there now, that's for sure, and motor racing is no exception.

Audiphile
December 5th, 2008, 21:54
I think Audi has determined where they will get the biggest impact. ALMS though popular with automotive enthusiasts is barely mentioned in the mainstream sports sections of American newspapers. This includes the most important of races the 24 hours of Le Mans. NASCAR gets more attention than does the 24 hours of Le Mans here. Americans just don't get it. However, in Europe the importance of 24 Hours is well established and its prestige value is high so participation by Audi makes sense. Plus, Audi wants to tie Ferrari next year in terms of wins at Le Mans.

Benman
December 6th, 2008, 01:03
I may be alone on this one, but GOOD FOR AUDI!!!

The recent politics in ALMS has been absolutely retarded! The whole LMP2 Porsche thing cemented it. The ALMS will be nothing without Audi. The series will heavily falter. Audi continued to warn the ALMS government that if the garbage did not cease, they would bail. The ALMS powers never took the threat seriously... until now.

Good, let them stew on that as the next year sucks, and the year after that sucks even worse...

The only victims here of course are us, the fans...

Ben:addict:

Audiphile
December 6th, 2008, 03:53
I agree with you Benman. ALMS has been screwing with Audi over the last several years to make them less competitive. Yet, Audi made ALMS what it is today.

Skaala
December 8th, 2008, 08:10
mabe they will rejoin the world rally championship...with the I5 engineblock from the TTRS:hihi:

Mockenrue
December 8th, 2008, 11:05
We can only dream! *sigh*.

They've also pulled the plug on their America's Cup sponsorship so they're clearly going all out to cut costs at the moment.

Mr Balsen
December 8th, 2008, 13:18
I completely agree with Benman ! ! !

Frederic

Benman
December 8th, 2008, 22:37
I guess I am glad that I am not the only one who feels this way (misery loves company :D) but like I said, we the fans lose...

Mr Balsen
December 9th, 2008, 05:53
I agree with you Benman. ALMS has been screwing with Audi over the last several years to make them less competitive. Yet, Audi made ALMS what it is today.

ACO did the same with Audi against the R8 because it was winning for too long !!!
So Audi screwed ACO with the R10 TDI. And ACO got what they desserved...

Specially this year when ACO did everything to make Peugeot win. Too bad, it was Audi again...

Frederic

Benman
December 10th, 2008, 16:58
ACO did the same...

Frederic

See, this is what baffles me. A manufacture works incredibly hard to get a championship team and the regulating bodies just make new "rules" to take away that championship advantage, so things will be "close". If all we wanted was "close", we'd all watch NASCAR. **rolls eyes** ...

Mr Balsen
December 10th, 2008, 17:35
See, this is what baffles me. A manufacture works incredibly hard to get a championship team and the regulating bodies just make new "rules" to take away that championship advantage, so things will be "close". If all we wanted was "close", we'd all watch NASCAR. **rolls eyes** ...

We are in total agreement !
ACO did the same with Porsche in the 80' then Jaguar then Mercedes....
Basically all the german automakers love the ACO ! ! !

ACO wants Peugeot to win the race. It was supposed to be this year, but Audi was better...

Frederic

ben916
December 18th, 2008, 00:01

NERDcar did the EXACT same thing in 1971 with those winged Daytonas and Superbirds. Changed the rules after 1970 season as Plymouth/Dodge ruled the tracks (in the US) and Ford and GM were effectively crying "those Mopar guys are smarter than us!"

Sorry, not quite an Audi response but history goes to show it will happen again and again...

Benman
December 18th, 2008, 00:48
NERDcar...

NerdCar... LOL!

See, that is the dumb $h!T I am talking about. It kills the spirit of competition...

Just dumb. :eye: :vgrumpy: