PDA

View Full Version : Movies: I test drive the RS6

Erik
November 30th, 2002, 12:56
At the Essen Motor & Tuning show was I not only able to see a lot of wonderful cars, I was also able to test drive the RS6 saloon as a bonus. :)

The red RS6 saloon in the booth was wonderful with the new sport exhaust, drilled disks and a lovely interior. There was however a beast waiting in the garage downstairs, unknown to most visitors... :trans:

Handed over my driver's licens and signed a paper full of German words - had no idea what they meant! - and took the elevator down to the basement with my guide from Audi.

There she was a blue RS6 saloon waiting just for me.
This car had the brand new sports suspension included (not yet available on production cars, I think it goes in production around week 10 2003) but not the drilled disks or the sport exhaust.

The sound from the engine was wonderful and the drive from the garage to the autobahn was in no time. Unfortunately you are never alone in Germany, especially on the autobahn! This means a lot of traffic with no freedom to manoeuvre and drive as fast as you like. :vsad:
In any case I was still to pull the car up to 200 km/h + a few times and I did a 250 km/h run, simply because it's so damn quick :D

RS6.com likes: * Engine, massive torque and power delivered without lag. * The F1-paddles, I didn't feel a need for a manual during my drive. * Handling. Firm without being uncomfortable. (sorry can't dompare with normal DRC)
* VERY undramatic to drive even at high speeds, you drive MUCH faster than you think. * quality of build.

RS6.com dislikes:
* The need to push the button to change from Drive to Sports, I guess that would be a RS6 special compared to the A6.

RS6 wishes: * More acceleration from 120km/h and up.
* Brakes could be better, for those 200 km/h + drives I want more stopping power for those 'instant idiots' who suddently feel a need for the left lane.

Movies:

A 0-160 km/h run. This is uphill on a slipway (entrance) to autobahn. Had to let go because of heavy traffic which didn't let me in, but the run should be in about 5 sec. to 100 km/h.
Just listen to the music from the V8! This run is in sports mode automatic and I started without braking and reving the engine which would only make the time faster. This is a run which grandma would be able to repeat over and over.

RS6 0-100 km/h+ (http://www.rs6.com/movies/RS6-0-100-uphill.MPG)

A 130 - 200 km/h run. I was trying to do a 100-200 run but traffic stopped me. Not sure this is optimal but it's quite quick anyway. Did NOT realise I was doing almost 200 before I saw the movie.

RS6 Autobahn (www.rs6.com/movies/RS6-130-200-autobahn.MPG)

PLEASE NOTE !!!

EDIT: Sorry the links do not work any longer.
For movies check the RS6.com ftp :

ftp://www.rs6.com/rs6.com

Erik
November 30th, 2002, 13:03
The red RS4 saloon with 19", drilled discs and sports exhaust.
The new S4 to the right.

Dave
November 30th, 2002, 14:37
Originally posted by Erik B

* VERY undramatic to drive even at high speeds, you drive MUCH faster than you think. *

This is the statement that sums up the RS6 in one... The only way I find is to compare yourself with the other traffic around you...

Things (cars) just dissapear in your rear view mirror.. but your too busy concentrating on the speed you approach traffic... you always have to dab the breaks to take some speed off... amazing

I love it.. and the noise is sooo addicitive

Might just have to go out for another burn :addict:

Dave

Dave
November 30th, 2002, 18:39
Oh & Erik,

Glad you enjoyed it :D

what a car!! :cheers:

Dave

RS4
November 30th, 2002, 20:28
Very nice Erik! I only have one problem when i look at the movies. There must be a problem with the speedometer, it´s moving to slooooowww......*sleepy*

Erik
December 1st, 2002, 11:05
Originally posted by RS4
There must be a problem with the speedometer, it´s moving to slooooowww......*sleepy*

Don't worry we'll make a movie of your RS4 sometime :D

However, if I am correct the RS6 is faster than the RS4 around Hockenheim and Nürburgring. It's also much faster in the 110 m slalom. :roll:

Dave
December 3rd, 2002, 15:01
As quick as the RS4 is it does suffer from turbo lag.. certainly more so that the RS6... don't get me wrong.. when the turbo comes on it's awsome.. but it does take a few 1000 revs to get it going...

I've not driven a chipped RS4 so I wouldn't be able to tell you if this helps to eliminate this, but I would imagine that the pick up from low revs on the RS6 is quicker than a standard RS4.

Anyone agree/disagree??

Dave