PDA

View Full Version : What kind of winter tires will fit the new B6 S4?

CoOlSlY
July 5th, 2003, 15:08
I would like to order winter tires right now from tireracks.com since the exchange rate from CAN$->US$ is good. I will also order some rims to fit those tires. What will be the recommended tires size for the B6 S4? If possible, I will go on 17" instead of 18", is it a good idea? I don't think 16" would fit because of the brake size.

Thnx,

Sylvain

Erik
July 5th, 2003, 17:13
I use 17" Pirelli studded tires and I'm happy with those.

I heard that Nokian is releasing 18" with studs. :bigeyes:

But ordinary unstudded would be nice as well depending on the weather you get.

Klint
July 5th, 2003, 20:14
Yup, You got the right idea to go for the 17" wheels.

I'm no expert in this area but I know as a fact that most people who have their summer wheels as 18", knock it down an inch for the winter. It also saves some money too.

You could also use those 17" rims for the track if you ever decide to go on a track day, this also saves a little money over the standard 18" rims. Simple as going to your local tyre shop and get new sticky rubber on and get the winter spec rubber off. So it might be worth going for some ultra light BBS's or a set of OZ racing rims to go with the tyres.

:cheers:

McBurn4ever
July 5th, 2003, 21:12
The recommended size is 225/45/17"

:s4addict:

CoOlSlY
July 6th, 2003, 15:07
McBurn4ever: It's the recommended size (225/45/17) for the B6 S4 ??? Some were saying that 17" may not fit properly because of the brake size? If you're sure, I'll be buying them right away since the exchange right is good out here.

Sylvain

McBurn4ever
July 6th, 2003, 20:55
Yes, I'm sure...and if I don't remeber totaly wrong the recommended rims to
use with the tires should have size 17"x7".

Saw a .pdf-document over all..and I mean all..standard and extra equpment...
.for the US-spec S4b6. I think it was somewhere over @ audiworld.com

Above this I also know it from the offers I got from the dealers on my new car.

Btw: I will probably go for 19" RS6 replica rims with 235/35/19 in the summer, and use
the standard Avus-rims with 235/40/18 in the winter...if there is no problem with that..

Fab5
July 6th, 2003, 21:14
Hi,

thatīs a good decision,i do the same the 18" avus for the winter and for the summer 19" BBS Challenge.That are the best looking rims for that car and the price is o.k.

cya,

fab5

McBurn4ever
July 6th, 2003, 23:38
I'm also a great fan of the BBS Challenge rims, but for
some reason I don't think they look right on the S4b6..
..or maby I should say that I havn't seen it on picture or irl..

At the same time I think that's strange since I think they
really look great on the S4b5...so maybe I'm wrong..

Btw: Sorry for not fixing the Challange-mount on the S4..in the
other post.. I haven't found a good picture right from the side
that I can use...if you have one, just post it and I fix it..

Fab5
July 6th, 2003, 23:58
Hi,

i found a picture,if you give me your email i will send you the pic.

Thanks!

cya,

Fab5

angryswede
July 7th, 2003, 07:54
I have some nokian nrw's that I got from etires.com which I love. I actually still have them on the car (50k mile rating). They work very well in the snow that I've driven them in, as well as the rain + even dry stuff. I really can't suggest them highly enough.
I do live in so cal though and only get the snow in mammoth when I go up. but I did test them out by driving stupid (flooring it at stoplights and stopping on uphill driveways) and they worked perfect, no fun wheelspin or anything, the car just took off. I can't speak from experience about them on ice, but I don't know if anything non-studded would work even decent on true ice.