PDA

View Full Version : Audi S5 superleggera.

The Pretender
February 23rd, 2008, 14:48
The weight of the S5 is 1630 Kg according to the tech info.
Have someone any idea how much weight (Kg's) can be saved on a S5 by striping out the interior and putting in Carbon Fibre Recaro race buckets.
Some kind of TT QS style interior and also putting on Dymag's.
Can there 130-200 Kg be save by doing this.

http://www.fourtitude.com/gallery/albums//Audi/TT-TT%20Roadster/TT%20%28a4%29/quattro%20Sport/005.jpg

http://www.fourtitude.com/gallery/albums//Audi/TT-TT%20Roadster/TT%20%28a4%29/quattro%20Sport/014.jpg

http://www.dymag.de/images/images_dymag/car_wheels/9%20spoke%20silver.jpg
Jarod.

PeterJohn
February 23rd, 2008, 15:12
If you want a lightweight car, there are better starting points than the Audi S5.
You'll be turning a reasonbly priced Grand Tourismo into an unreasonably priced overweight sportscar.

Economy of scale hasn't kicked in yet for those dymag wheels. And in might never, seeing the aeroplane industry is commandeering all the carbon fiber resources. You'll be lucky if you pay just €10k for a set of those wheels.

Amazing technology though, those wheels. Saving rotational mass counts four times, plus the suspension work more effecient, offering more grip and less wear.

The Pretender
February 23rd, 2008, 16:12
If you want a lightweight car, there are better starting points than the Audi S5.
I don't want a lightweight car, i want a lighther and better performing S5. ;)

Jarod.

Leadfoot
February 23rd, 2008, 18:58
The problem with what you are suggesting is that you aren't taking the weight from the areas which would benefit the car the most, lightening the middle will only increase the front axle weight balance.

Jarod, I think if you want it quick then slap a SC or turbo to the beast and be done with it.

The RS6
February 23rd, 2008, 19:02
I don't want a lightweight car, i want a lighther and better performing S5. ;)

Jarod.

How about removing the rear seats? That would make it alot easier, wouldn't it?

Cargo8
February 24th, 2008, 18:23
the problem is that you are removing all rear / middle weight, that will increase understeer as there is proportionally even more mass in the front and coming out of a turn the mass pushes outwards, which is one reason why the r8 can outperform the rs4 so well in the turns. You would have to figure out someway to lighten the load in teh front of hte car reasonably equally (or even more). You could engine transplant to mid engine if you took out rear seats? haha... i agree, the best way would be just to slap on a turb o or a sc

pampas
February 24th, 2008, 19:44
or wait for the RS5 .. that will be a much better performer !

Plus, deleting the rear seats will make your nice S5 interior look like some cheap stuff...

The Pretender
February 24th, 2008, 20:29
To know what exactly happen to the weight distribution by removing the interior and put in Carbon Fibre Recaro race buckets you need a 4 corner scale.
Further the rear seat also close off the thrunk, it will completely open if the rearseats are removed.
Old cars have mostly a steel plate between the thrunk and interior.

Jarod.

The Pretender
March 30th, 2008, 16:45
Im lookin at the possibilities of upgrading a A5 3.2 V6 FSI quattro with Bi-turbo.
I think it easier to get more power (400-600 hp) out of it then a S5 V8 engine with less overall cost.
All depends on Audi's new S4 3.0 V6 engine, Supercharged or Bi-turbo.
Not a fan of supercharged, don't like the SC howl.
Still hoping for a 3.0 V6 Bi-turbo even all show it will be SC-ed.

Jarod.