PDA

View Full Version : Test: B8 A4 3.0 TDI quattro vs Merc' C 320 CDI 4matic

AndyBG
February 5th, 2008, 14:41
Audi A4 3.0 TDI quattro vs Mercedes C 320 CDI 4matic

Another test, another win, this time, 4WD diesel ''showdown''... IMHO this is the best way for comparing Audis with Merc' and others B/C both cars have 4WD, so there isn't that gap in cars performance...

...BMW 330 xd is next. :D

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/tests/vergleichstest/hxcms_article_509876_14009.hbs?ext_site_number=2

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/tests/vergleichstest/hxcms_article_509876_13987.hbs

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/tests/vergleichstest/hxcms_article_509876_13987.hbs?ext_site_number=3

Pic's... :

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/fotos/foto-shows/test_U_technik/mpsfshw_show_503571_13999.hbs

Kliko61
February 5th, 2008, 16:11
it doesn't surprise me that the Audi wins. When it comes to AWD Audi is just superior to other brands....

Speedou
February 5th, 2008, 16:50
Don't know how different the torsen is in new A4, but think there can't be much better awd system than in BMW right now.

Leadfoot
February 5th, 2008, 17:51
Don't know how different the torsen is in new A4, but think there can't be much better awd system than in BMW right now.

X-Drive is getting better and the new version going into the X6 is a definite step in the right direction but to say it's better than the Quattro system Audi use is not that accurate. They behave totally differently and from experience the X-Drive in behaviour feels and acts very similar to the Haldex system in the early TTs, it is reactive instead of proactive, you really notice the rear tyres slipping before power is transferred forward.

I doubt any system apart from that in the EVO and GTR will match the new Quattro3 with Sport Diff but this may be a very bias opinion from someone who is very much a fan of Quattro in general.

Speedou
February 5th, 2008, 20:01
X-Drive is getting better and the new version going into the X6 is a definite step in the right direction but to say it's better than the Quattro system Audi use is not that accurate. They behave totally differently and from experience the X-Drive in behaviour feels and acts very similar to the Haldex system in the early TTs, it is reactive instead of proactive, you really notice the rear tyres slipping before power is transferred forward.

I doubt any system apart from that in the EVO and GTR will match the new Quattro3 with Sport Diff but this may be a very bias opinion from someone who is very much a fan of Quattro in general.

BMW is allready using 40:60 (front:rear) xDrive and it can send all the power to that wheel what it needs, so don't know what really can be a lot better for going forward.

Arslanoff
February 5th, 2008, 20:20
BMW is allready using 40:60 (front:rear) xDrive and it can send all the power to that wheel what it needs, so don't know what really can be a lot better for going forward.

I have also digged for some info on xDrive, as I am looking for X6 as a car for my wife and it transfers the power in lower then 0,1 sec so it is fast, but the problem is that it would be hard to predict cars behevior in some extreame circumstanses.

Speedou
February 5th, 2008, 20:40
That is possible, but hard to believe in normal situations (even in hard driving). I guess you are not taking that to middle of forest ;)

Leadfoot
February 5th, 2008, 21:12

I know they have a similar setup with respect to power split but it is still a lot slower in moving the power to the desire axle. There is numerous video comparisons showing that in really slippery conditions Audi's Quattro is superior to all of them.

If your argument is purely based on sportiness well maybe that a different argument but based on producing the most grip it's Quattro, hands down.

crespo
February 5th, 2008, 21:13
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't xDrive software-driven? quattro isn't, so if that's true then that alone means there's a huge difference.

Leadfoot
February 5th, 2008, 21:17
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't xDrive software-driven? quattro isn't, so if that's true then that alone means there's a huge difference.

Correct, that is why I said X-Drive is reactive, only shifting power after the slip has breached certain levels unlike Quattro. It's behaviour is similar to the Haldex system in the TT and A3.

raulg
February 6th, 2008, 01:11

Altough the Xdrive is having a slight delay in it's operation while quattro works instantly, I have a feeling current quattro is not as good as the new Xdrive.

Quattro3 +sportdif will be better, if it's as good as Audi says in their press releases.

andreadebi
February 6th, 2008, 07:57
I never been on an audi Quattro but my experience(not as driver) on a bmw 530xd was positive,a lot of traction on snow

Leadfoot
February 6th, 2008, 10:58
Altough the Xdrive is having a slight delay in it's operation while quattro works instantly, I have a feeling current quattro is not as good as the new Xdrive.

If you are talking about how the system behaves then sorry but Quattro is superior to that of X-Drive but if you are talking about the application in each brand then possibly X-Drive in the BMW has a more sportie character based on the fact that it's chassis has a better weight balance. But be under no doubt that the Quattro system itself is miles ahead of the current X-Drive.

Quattro3 +sportdif will be better, if it's as good as Audi says in their press releases.

I have ask this question to someone who should know it's effects and the answer back is it will be very good indeed, they are intending to give the chassis a very neutral balance but with the option in the menu system of a more spirited drive with slight oversteer. There will still be some understeer as this is still a family car after all and safety is the underlining important.

It is looking promising. :thumb:

raulg
February 6th, 2008, 15:58
I have ask this question to someone who should know it's effects and the answer back is it will be very good indeed, they are intending to give the chassis a very neutral balance but with the option in the menu system of a more spirited drive with slight oversteer. There will still be some understeer as this is still a family car after all and safety is the underlining important.

It is looking promising. :thumb:

man I had a lot of trouble explaining WHY it s better for a -regular- car to understeer than oversteer, to a friend of mine that owns a 335i. That for 99% of the drivers is much safer, and so on. I just couldn t convince him until he found-himself- an article saying that rwd are in fact dangerous when pushed too hard/oversteer, cause u can'tt just let the gas to stay on the road. You got to be fast to turn the wheels the other way, but not to much or you'll crash on the other side of the road. Even then, he still denied it somehow, saying that rwd is better cause the electronics will take care of you. Which is true, but that doesn't change the fact that RWD platform ALONE is much more dangerous for the average Joe than Fwd or especially quattro. For professional drivers might be just fine, they know what they do.

I'm just not happy with the arogance of RWD platform is better, when it's clearly not.Long story short, electronics save the day, which is fine, afterall I love ABS.