PDA

View Full Version : Le Mans 2008

ellstimpo
December 26th, 2007, 19:59
Usually go every year, but missed the last two. Will def be heading down again this year.

Any other regular Le Mans goers ??????

Mockenrue
December 27th, 2007, 20:05
I went this year for the first time, and will definitely be up for it again in 2008. The Audi campsite was expensive, but worth it.

Erik
December 27th, 2007, 20:12
I was there in 1988...

Leadfoot
December 28th, 2007, 07:53
Would love to do it one year but so far work commitments have always kept me away.

I will be at the Goodwood event in July though. Is anyone going to that?

Mockenrue
December 28th, 2007, 09:31
Do you mean the Festival of Speed? If so, yes. :thumb:

Leadfoot
December 28th, 2007, 10:24
Do you mean the Festival of Speed? If so, yes. :thumb:

Yeah, I am looking at going the three days but haven't booked the tickets as of yet, neither have I checked out for a suited Hotel in the area.

Have you done the event before and if so is it worth going all of the days?

If not then I am considering done either one or two days and then booking a trackday at one of the nearer circuits to have a bit of fun (it a treat from the wife).

Mockenrue
December 28th, 2007, 10:41
I've been for the past two years, but only for one day. There's an awful lot to see and I'd say it's difficult to take in everything in one day so yes, I'd recommend going for two or perhaps all three days - I plan to next year.

A friend of mine who I was with at this year's event took a load of photos, some of which are here:

http://www.tyresmoke.net/gallery/album470

Leadfoot
December 28th, 2007, 10:53
Mockenrue,

Are you able to get close to the cars like at a Motorshow?

P.S.

I reckon you might see more than the RS6 there this year if you know what I mean. :hahahehe:

Mockenrue
December 28th, 2007, 11:39
Mockenrue,

Are you able to get close to the cars like at a Motorshow?

P.S.

I reckon you might see more than the RS6 there this year if you know what I mean. :hahahehe:

Oh yes, absolutely. On the Audi stand for instance I was able to sit in an R8 and an S5, amongst others. :love:

The same goes for most if not all of the various race cars on show too. For example, I was able to get 'up close and personal' with the Biela/Pirro/Werner R10 which won at Le Mans. The previous weekend I watched it blasting round La Sarthe, and then a matter of days later I was all but sitting in it. It was still filthy from the race!

I'm intrigued to know what else might be on show besides the new RS6! http://www.tyresmoke.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sekret.gif

Mr Balsen
December 28th, 2007, 13:13
I have been there for the last 7 years...

Frederic

ellstimpo
December 28th, 2007, 16:35
Would love to do it one year but so far work commitments have always kept me away.

I will be at the Goodwood event in July though. Is anyone going to that?

Can a mod please delete all off topic comments about the goodwood event as this is a thread about Le Mans:doh:

You want a goodwood thread, start one, if not , bog off:bye:

ellstimpo
December 28th, 2007, 16:36

Frederic

Which campsite do you use and what motor car do you take ?

Love the atmosphere down at Arnage the day before the race

Leadfoot
December 28th, 2007, 17:08

Frederic

Frederic,

What part of the course would you recommend spectating at?

Mr Balsen
December 28th, 2007, 17:15
I already went with my Audi Sport Quattro.
As for the track, I go everywhere until 10:00 AM on sunday morning.

For the start, I like to be on the side opposite of the paddock, in the curve in order to see all the race cars in front of me. At night, I like to be in the curve before Huyudieres to see the braking (less important now as track has been modified). Otherwise end of Hunaudieres is impressive also because you hear the cars coming (more GT1 and GT2 than LMP1). I really enjoy everything at Le Mans. I had paddock access two years. It was really really impressive...

Frederic

ellstimpo
December 28th, 2007, 17:19

For the start, I like to be on the side opposite of the paddock, in the curve in order to see all the race cars in front of me. At night, I like to be in the curve before Huyudieres to see the braking (less important now as track has been modified). Otherwise end of Hunaudieres is impressive also because you hear the cars coming (more GT1 and GT2 than LMP1). I really enjoy everything at Le Mans. I had paddock access two years. It was really really impressive...

Frederic

During the day i always walk around to view, i quite like the raised platform near the karting track.
I find that at night, being just past the Dunlop bridge is spectacular. We also sneek through the brambles and dense wood to get to the Mulsanne Straight. Takes a good 30 mins and have to dodge the marshalls, but its worth it to hear those cars scream past at 250mph:heart:

There is actually a restaurant on the Mulsanne straight which we now book. You can sit there and have dinner with the cars going past. Pure heaven :heart:

Do you remember 2 years ago, its was seriously seriously hot. I have never been to a hotter place anywhere than Le Mans that weekend. Could stay out in the sun for more than 10 mins

ellstimpo
December 28th, 2007, 20:30
Here's a pic from my last visit to Le Mans. My mates Orange Murci, that used to appear in Evo mags fast fleet, but has been replaced by Si new White LP640 :bow: and a guy called Andy's Gallardo we met down there. Oh and my mates Yellow Beetle, which was pretty slow on the drive down from London

This was taken at the Arnage meet the day before the race.

Leadfoot
December 28th, 2007, 21:44

Frederic

Frederic,

Thanks for that mate, my bro and I have been trying to get there for the last three years but work has always got in the way, though this time the wife has also given me the go ahead for this year's event (well she is the boss after all) and I would look forward to driving the S5 a good distance for changing to the Beemer. It would mean a Wednesday start and a long drive back in the early hours of Monday morning but I reckon it should be worth it.

Mr Balsen
December 28th, 2007, 21:55
I think we should do an RS6.com meeting at Le Mans. Pretty cool idea actually ! ! !

Frederic

Leadfoot
December 28th, 2007, 22:11
I think we should do an RS6.com meeting at Le Mans. Pretty cool idea actually ! ! !

Frederic

Now that could be either a brilliant idea or a total disaster, it would all depend on who came along.

Benman
December 28th, 2007, 23:09

Frederic

I think it would be a fantastic idea!

Ben:addict:

ellstimpo
December 28th, 2007, 23:23

Frederic

I stay with Airtrack usually. I think this year heading down in our group we have

360 CS (or 430 Scud if its arrived)
Lambo LP640
Lambo Murci
Lambo Gallardo
Ferrari 355
Noble
Porsche CGT
Ferrari 430
Ferrari 308
Ferrari 360 x 2
Lotus Exige

Should be good fun.:jlol:

A meet would certainly be interesting, a few members on here i'd love to meet:hahahehe:

Leadfoot
December 28th, 2007, 23:35
The idea is looking less appealing to me now.

Benman
December 28th, 2007, 23:48
The idea is looking less appealing to me now.

Leadie, please, you're not helping. ;)

"Can't we all just get along" in best Rodney King voice

Ben:addict:

Leadfoot
December 28th, 2007, 23:58
Well Ben the statement above mine does seem to be more like a threat than a welcome.

goodduck
December 29th, 2007, 00:30
I went this year for the first time and it was amazing. as for spectating, the best thing to do is to go to as many parts of the track as you can. i watched the start from the grandstands opposite the pitlane. i spent the afternoon in the dunlop - esses- tetre rouge area and made my way to porscht curves. spent the night at arnage then hitch-hiked to mulsanne where i passed out in the mud.

its an amazing experience. if you want the best guide, www.club-arnage.com puts out a comprehensive guide a few weeks before the race that is second to none.