PDA

View Full Version : Car stereo US vs Europe

jonas_dg
November 30th, 2007, 00:16
Hey guys got a question. My niece is currently living in the USA and is willing to bring back an Alpine IDA-X001 for me. Prices compared to european/belgian prices are a lot cheaper so thats why :)
Now here comes my question, are US car-stereos compatible with european/belgian cars?

Klint
November 30th, 2007, 10:24
They maybe compatible, but the range of frequencies are completely different. So don't expect to use your radio.

America allocates certain frequencies for their commercial radio stations, likewise with Europe, these differe greatly and the headunits are adapted for the specifically for the market they are sold in.

An adaptor to fit your specific vehicle maybe needed to fit the headunit to the loom.

Also, don't forget your import duties etc.

Leadfoot
November 30th, 2007, 10:40
They maybe compatible, but the range of frequencies are completely different. So don't expect to use your radio.

America allocates certain frequencies for their commercial radio stations, likewise with Europe, these differe greatly and the headunits are adapted for the specifically for the market they are sold in.

An adaptor to fit your specific vehicle maybe needed to fit the headunit to the loom.

Also, don't forget your import duties etc.

Klint is correct the frequencies will be all wrong but it easily fixed by the repair shop and shouldn't cost much.