PDA

View Full Version : RS5 overview

diesel king
October 3rd, 2007, 04:59
Good day all!

I am looking for as many details as possible about the RS5.

Having been on the waiting list for the RS6 for over a year we are most dissappointed that the RS6 is unlikely to make it over the pond.

The RS5 may fill the void left by the unavailable RS6. I have looked back over the last few pages to try and gather your thoughts.

So far it appears as though
--details will be released at the next major car show???
--4.2 420hp from RS4 seems likely
--4.2 may get TT for 470hp??

Would you put the US price in the 80-90,000 range?

Many thanks!

Hwany
October 3rd, 2007, 05:55
since the RS4 isabout $20 k more than the S4, and the S5 is about $2k more than the S4, I'm going to assume about $70-74k US.

Also, I just hope that the RS5 comes with TT, not N/A. I love the high-rev NA engines but Audis are all about Quattro and Turbocharged engine!!

hopefully, it will come sooner than what people are expecting!

HKS786
October 3rd, 2007, 05:56
Thanks for at least searching before posting ;) Bro, I dont actually think we will see the RS4 engine in the RS5. Thats just me personally, even though we dont have anything concrete. It's interesting to note that the RS4 is puting up a mighty good fight against the M3. I think even if the RS5 used the same engine, with it's new chassis and other tech it could hammer the M3!

Also, I have my own ideas about possibilities. I think that it's possible that Audi could create a 4.0 V8 TFSI based on the new RS6 engine - chopping off 2 cylinders so to speak. Rough calculations based on that would put it at 465bhp and 385 lb/ft torque. I think we can both agree that these figures are enough to make the M3 worry, especially when we compare it to 420bhp and 295 lb/ft for the M3 respectively.

Obviously these are just ideas but whatever the case, the RS5 will be a beast. I think the RS4 has shown that Audi just need to go that little bit further with the RS5 and they can have something to destroy the M3 and other rivals! ;)

Edit: Oh yeah, and some people think the RS5 could receive a 4.5 N/A V8. I have actually heard about this myself so it could happen. I guess time will tell...

Leadfoot
October 3rd, 2007, 16:40
HKS786,

I reckon you might be closer to the truth than you know with this 4.0v8TFSi engine. I have been told that the next RS4/5 engine would be turboed and the future engines will decrease in size.

Your reckoning might just be on the money.;)

Hwany
October 3rd, 2007, 16:47
Leadie,

When should we expect to see it? I'm guessing about a year after the S5 so maybe 2008 spring?
I just can't wait for this beast to come out!!

Hwany

tazsura
October 3rd, 2007, 16:50
Leadie,

When should we expect to see it? I'm guessing about a year after the S5 so maybe 2008 spring?

Hwany

More like 2009 I should think...

Taz :cry:

Leadfoot
October 3rd, 2007, 16:54
Leadie,

Hwany

Unless things have changed at Quattro HQ I doubt it will be only a year away. Presently one RS model at a time has been the way things have been done but it is widely know that this is to change and allow them to product more and more often. I think you might see the car at a motorshow here the end of next year but doubt you will be able to buy one this side of 2009.

P.S.

Expect changes to the S5 in all departments like handling, gearbox and possibly engine prior to then though.;)

HKS786
October 3rd, 2007, 17:37
HKS786,

I reckon you might be closer to the truth than you know with this 4.0v8TFSi engine. I have been told that the next RS4/5 engine would be turboed and the future engines will decrease in size.

Your reckoning might just be on the money.;)

Wow, sounds good. I'm all for a turbo'd RS5. Like you pointed out with the RS6, Audi are managing to get a really good torque range...Whatever the case, this machine is gonna be a beast :jlol:

diesel king
October 3rd, 2007, 21:33
Thanks for all the thoughts. I am going to call my Audi dealer and get on the "list". Hopefully I don't need to give them more $$$ as they allready have dough on the possibly dead American RS6.

Audiphile
October 4th, 2007, 04:04
I honestly think you will see the RS6 Sedan stateside. That seems to be what all the dealers are saying.

Leadfoot
October 8th, 2007, 18:06
I think you can expect the new RS5 to regain top honours from the C63 and CLK63 as top dog when it comes, in other words expect a similar power boost over the M3 as the RS6 has over the M5.

Now that the RS4 has stopped production the N/A engine is dead as of now in RS models.;)

RussianM3_dude
October 8th, 2007, 19:28
The advantage of the Quattro GmbH approach is that their models have a hit and run approach. They go in when their competition is at the end of the lifecycle and leave before the new models turn up. So when the RS5 arrives, I assume the new M3 would be quiet long in the tooth already, just before the mid life update, so Spring 2009 seems likely for the RS5.

+44 Dave
October 8th, 2007, 21:30
This isnt true of either the new RS6 or RS4. The RS4 was around way before the E92 M3. And the M5 hasnt been around long enough to say this is the end of its cycle. Its only half way through at most!
Stop making stupid sweeping statements.

Leadfoot
October 9th, 2007, 00:13
The advantage of the Quattro GmbH approach is that their models have a hit and run approach. They go in when their competition is at the end of the lifecycle and leave before the new models turn up. So when the RS5 arrives, I assume the new M3 would be quiet long in the tooth already, just before the mid life update, so Spring 2009 seems likely for the RS5.

That's silly nonsense. You could say that BMW decided to bring the new M3 just at the end of the RS4's life cycle but I wouldn't be that petty. The RS5 will be out in 2009 but the reason isn't anything to do with the fear of BMW but the fact that in companison to BMW's M-Division Audi's Quattro GmbH is very small and currently haven't the resources to product anything other than one RS model at a time and this has been the reason why the RS version has been close to the end of that model's life cycle so allowing for a short cycle and a new RS model every 2 or so years. It is changing but these things don't change over night.

RussianM3_dude
October 9th, 2007, 09:32
This isnt true of either the new RS6 or RS4. The RS4 was around way before the E92 M3. And the M5 hasnt been around long enough to say this is the end of its cycle. Its only half way through at most!
Stop making stupid sweeping statements.

EXACTLY!!! It came out at the end of the E46 life cycle and Poof! dissapeared just as the e92 is hitting the market.

RussianM3_dude
October 9th, 2007, 09:34
That's silly nonsense. You could say that BMW decided to bring the new M3 just at the end of the RS4's life cycle but I wouldn't be that petty. The RS5 will be out in 2009 but the reason isn't anything to do with the fear of BMW but the fact that in companison to BMW's M-Division Audi's Quattro GmbH is very small and currently haven't the resources to product anything other than one RS model at a time and this has been the reason why the RS version has been close to the end of that model's life cycle so allowing for a short cycle and a new RS model every 2 or so years. It is changing but these things don't change over night.

I don't criticize that strategy, I think it works. You can stay fresh and quit at the top of the game after such short periods. The last M3 was around for what???? Seven years??????

Leadfoot
October 9th, 2007, 11:37
I don't criticize that strategy, I think it works. You can stay fresh and quit at the top of the game after such short periods. The last M3 was around for what???? Seven years??????

But this strategy has nothing to do with coming in at the end of the old M3 and leaving just at the start of the new M3, you seem to be forgetting that in numerous tests the RS4 has beaten the new M3 so don't for one minute think that Audi didn't believe that RS4 wasn't up to the task of competing with the competition.

When Quattro GmbH is expanded to allow for more models then you can expect the RS versions to have a life cycle befitting a top of range model.:D

P.S.
Have you ever thought to yourself why every other roadtest finds the RS4 an amazing piece of kit which in many cases is better than the M3 old and new in everything ranging from steering to quality to handling and performance yet you have experienced none of this with your ownership. Does this not say something about your own abilities.;)

RussianM3_dude
October 9th, 2007, 11:43
What??? I am too cool for school?????? I never doubted you can go fast with an RS4, what IMNSHO it lacks is excitement, fun and a sense of speed. If only Alfa were actually any good, they could have made a real alternative to Audi, unfortunately there is only BMW (well Mercedes is getting better too.)

Leadfoot
October 9th, 2007, 12:10
I never doubted you can go fast with an RS4, what IMNSHO it lacks is excitement, fun and a sense of speed. If only Alfa were actually any good, they could have made a real alternative to Audi, unfortunately there is only BMW (well Mercedes is getting better too.)

That's called efficiency mate when something makes it look easy, this is often the effect.

So clearly you prefer your cars to be non-efficient. ;)

RussianM3_dude
October 9th, 2007, 12:44
I like am wild. Like a bucking Bronco... Yeeee-hawwww!

+44 Dave
October 9th, 2007, 17:23
I like am wild. Like a bucking Bronco... Yeeee-hawwww!

Yes i imagine you like to ride many things... One of which is evidently not women :lovl:

RussianM3_dude
October 9th, 2007, 17:39
Buuuuuurrrrrnnnnn!!!!

Have you heard of a Red Neck Rodeo???? Take the missus from behind, grab her boobies and whisper in her ear...

"Those, feel just like your sister's"

See how long you can hold on.

Leadfoot
October 12th, 2007, 19:59
What??? I am too cool for school?????? I never doubted you can go fast with an RS4, what IMNSHO it lacks is excitement, fun and a sense of speed. If only Alfa were actually any good, they could have made a real alternative to Audi, unfortunately there is only BMW (well Mercedes is getting better too.)

Again I ask the question about your own abilities because excitement is something all magazine roadtesters look for and again the RS4 hasn't been found wanting.

Maybe the word you are looking for is 'show-boating' and not excitement as to me they mean two totally different things. Excitement to you is when everything clicks, the way the car changes gear, enters the corner, the feel of the grip available, the efficiency of how the corner is dealt with and the quality of the moving parts (clutch, brake and steering), if this is the same for you then you clearly should be finding the RS4 exciting.

If not then it's show-boating, the thrill of holding that tail out in as big an arch as possible, knowing that you are the one controlling it and your right foot and two hands are the only thing between you, the car and possible disaster.

BigRick
October 12th, 2007, 22:11
Again I ask the question about your own abilities because excitement is something all magazine roadtesters look for and again the RS4 hasn't been found wanting.

Maybe the word you are looking for is 'show-boating' and not excitement as to me they mean two totally different things. Excitement to you is when everything clicks, the way the car changes gear, enters the corner, the feel of the grip available, the efficiency of how the corner is dealt with and the quality of the moving parts (clutch, brake and steering), if this is the same for you then you clearly should be finding the RS4 exciting.

If not then it's show-boating, the thrill of holding that tail out in as big an arch as possible, knowing that you are the one controlling it and your right foot and two hands are the only thing between you, the car and possible disaster.

Leadfoot... this is so well said. As I also said before RWDrivers don't get their exitment the same way I do. I actually don't like the rear end loosing grip and having to enter a battle with the laws of physic in every corner to stay alive... It's abit like playing "russian roulette" to me... maybe that's why RussianM3 enjoy's that so much :)

Leadfoot
October 15th, 2007, 00:32
Leadfoot... this is so well said. As I also said before RWDrivers don't get their exitment the same way I do. I actually don't like the rear end loosing grip and having to enter a battle with the laws of physic in every corner to stay alive... It's abit like playing "russian roulette" to me... maybe that's why RussianM3 enjoy's that so much :)

Thanks for agreeing with me on this. I personally believe this is the one biggest difference between the two camps, rwd vs awd. It's all a matter of which way you get your fun, not that any way is better.

Carl Lassiter
November 27th, 2007, 20:28
Any update on the RS5 arriving stateside? What about specs, has the NA versus TT V8 information been revealed? It will be a stuning car, especially with DSG (though if it's TT expect only a manual) but I guess they can't make it until the RS6 is complete. Not that I'm complaining, just my gf hasn't shut up about the S5 she saw at the L.A. Auto Show on Sarturday.

Mori
November 27th, 2007, 21:51
Did you guys here about the drunk guys who played russian roulette with an automatic Beretta? The first guy lost on the first try for some reason. Oh I believe this was in Russia too....

Fehli
February 1st, 2008, 13:59
I think the new RS5 becomes a new V8 FSI with 450 hp!:rs4kiss:
What you think?

In Genf 2009 is the premiere, or?

With best regards

Andi

Leadfoot
February 1st, 2008, 14:43
I have a guts feeling that Frankfurt this year while be the premier of the RS5, especially if it's on sale date is anything similar to that of the RS6. As for engine choices, well Audi are looking for another class leading version in much the same way as the RS6 is so I think anything less than 480hp will not cut it, so either a highly strung big capacity N/A or a small Bi-turbo V8, make your bets. ;)

It WILL be getting DSG, Sports Diff and possible DCRIII but as this models life span should be longer than previous RS models it could get the more expensive to develop MagneticRide. Also expect a return to the aggressive styling of the RS4 which will be welcome.

If I had one request to make with it's development it would be a slightly more rear biased awd setup, somewhere between the R8 and the current RS4. :thumb:

AndyBG
February 1st, 2008, 15:11
I have a guts feeling that Frankfurt this year while be the premier of the RS5...

No Frankfurt this year..., Paris.

I would love to see turbo powered RS 5, alltough there is still a lot of time ahead of us...

roadrunner
February 1st, 2008, 15:17
I have a guts feeling that Frankfurt this year while be the premier of the RS5...

You mean the IAA Autoshow Frankfurt 2009, because there is no Frankfurt show in 2008 (there is one in Paris though) :vhmmm:

Edit: AndyBG beat me to this :cheers:

Fehli
February 1st, 2008, 15:21
The next IAA is 2009!

I think in Genf 2009 is the premiere!
The Start for RS5 is in August 2009.
I don't think the new RS5 have an Biturbo

ZeroCool
February 1st, 2008, 17:18
why do you think there is no IAA this year? sure there is - not in Frankfurt but in Hannover ... found on www.iaa.de (http://www.iaa.de) - from 25.09.2008 - 02.10.2008

Fehli
February 1st, 2008, 18:01
Yes, thats right but this IAA is for trucks and not for cars!

DJim
February 1st, 2008, 22:37
4.2 V8 480 Hp Lightweight.. Well if that's the case for the Audi Rs5 i will buy it I dont have the money but still I'm gonna buy this car

rs4some
February 2nd, 2008, 01:54
No point in even speculating until a proto type version is seen testing around the 'ring' . If you remember the RS6 was seen there many many months before its release in Frankfurt ( some winter testing if i remember also) so unless an RS5 is seen in much the same manner i don't think you'd see it this year at all...

The Pretender
February 2nd, 2008, 13:16
"Off Topic"

Tazsura, do you have a big version of your Avatar.

jarod.

The Pretender
February 2nd, 2008, 13:35
There are a lot of option's for the RS5 engine.
And all will be clear after Audi have introduced the new S4.

If the new S4 get a 3.0 litre V6 Bi-turbo engine the change that the RS5 get a 4.0 litre V8 Bi-turbo engine is more likely.
But if the new S4 get a 333 hp 3.0 litre V6 FSI Valve-Lift Kompressor engine it's more likely the RS5 gets a 444 hp 4.0 litre V8 FSI Valve-Lift Kompressor engine.
Another option is a Valve-lift version of the RS4 engine with 420+ hp.

My personal favoured engine would be a 450+ hp 5.2 V10 FSI Valve-Lift engine.
This in case BMW would put a V10 in a future M3.

Jarod.

Leadfoot
February 2nd, 2008, 13:44
I wish I had you confidence. :eye:

PeterJohn
February 2nd, 2008, 14:35
My fantasy engine would be a V6, a supercharger in between the cylinder banks, and a turbocompressor on each side. Massive torque without massive turbo lag or massive displacement.

If the S4 is a V6 Turbo, then it wouldn't be far fetched, as RS models have always used the S-engine as the starting point.

Rage
February 2nd, 2008, 15:24
Last Info from Audi AG according to Audi Sweden.

Audi S4 B8 V6 3.0TFSI 333 ps S-Tronic Quattro.

Jarod.

I thought we'd all agreed the S4 will be a turboed 3.0FSI?

Lol if the RS5 wasnt a V8 id rather have an S5 or M3

DJim
February 2nd, 2008, 15:31
4.2 V8 480 Hp Lightweight maybe carbon fiber roof? like m3? 0-100km 4.0! not 4.4 or 4.2 Just 4.0 would be perfect:D;)

The Pretender
February 2nd, 2008, 16:33
I thought we'd all agreed the S4 will be a turboed 3.0FSI?
I'm not agreeing the S4 will be tuboed.
I have more info that say it will be Kompressored, but the engine will be destinatianed as 3.0TFSI because of marketing reasons.

Jarod.

MPT
February 2nd, 2008, 18:38
I have more info that say it will be Kompressored, but the engine will be destinatianed as 3.0TFSI because of marketing reasons.

Jarod.

It won't be a supercharged V6, but a turbo.

Leadfoot
February 2nd, 2008, 19:01

Jarod.

If it turns out like I originally said and the S4 does indeed get a supercharged 3.0v6 then I would expect something similar to appear in the RS4 only that time it would be a 4.0v8 version.

AndyBG
February 3rd, 2008, 00:37
Is it possible that A4/S4/RS 4 goes one and the A5/S5/RS 5 the other way... ?

S4 to get smaller forced induction engine, so future RS 4 as well, while, RS 5 get something bigger, N/A, based on the current S5... ?

The Pretender
February 3rd, 2008, 00:55
Everything is possible.

jarod.

Leadfoot
February 3rd, 2008, 12:19
Is it possible that A4/S4/RS 4 goes one and the A5/S5/RS 5 the other way... ?

S4 to get smaller forced induction engine, so future RS 4 as well, while, RS 5 get something bigger, N/A, based on the current S5... ?

I remember having a discussion with Iceman (Hans) quite a while ago and according to him and his source inside Audi that the two models A4 and A5 would go their separate way with the performance models. Admittedly this was a long time ago and things could have changed from back then.

The Pretender
February 3rd, 2008, 12:39
Maybe Audi would go the V6 SC route for S4 and V8 atmo route for the S5.
The RS4 can get a 444 hp 4.0 V8 SC engine and the RS5 a 450+ hp 5.2 V10.
Like i say everything is possible.

btw, i like to see a RS5 V10 5.2 FSI Quattro with 450+ hp.

Jarod.

Leadfoot
February 3rd, 2008, 13:23
btw, i like to see a RS5 V10 5.2 FSI Quattro with 450+ hp.

Jarod.

Your wish may be granted.;)

To the best of my knowledge they are looking for 500Nm or more for the RS5 but I myself am unsure if Audi should go down the bigger engine route, especially as the A43.2Quattro is already out handling the v8 powered S5 with almost 100hp less. Weight is the key to making the RS5 perform, but then again the same argument has already been discussed on the TTS.;)

Rage
February 3rd, 2008, 14:32
Your wish may be granted.;)

To the best of my knowledge they are looking for 500Nm or more for the RS5 but I myself am unsure if Audi should go down the bigger engine route, especially as the A43.2Quattro is already out handling the v8 powered S5 with almost 100hp less. Weight is the key to making the RS5 perform, but then again the same argument has already been discussed on the TTS.;)

As much as I would 'love' a V10 I think audi should concentrate on lowering weight as much as possible (to compensate for stronger reinforced parts etc). In that respect a V8 might make more sense.

Saying that im not sure which id pick if i was offered both. I mean...will i actually track my car?

Whats the difference in weight between a V8 and V10? especially if its a V8TT and V10NA

Rage
February 3rd, 2008, 14:41
Just read the thread re: sportauto testing A4 3.2Q being quicker round a track then the S5.

perhaps lighter is better lol.

The Pretender
February 3rd, 2008, 15:03
If a S5 V8 is that slow round a track, a 3.0 litre V6 FSI Valve-lift Kompressor engine make even more sence to be in the next S4.
In that case a V10 RS5 is out of the question a we have to settle with just a HP V6 or V8.

jarod.

Leadfoot
February 3rd, 2008, 16:59
Marketing pressure will determine which engine Audi fit in the RS5. Many people see it as a rival to not only the M3 but also the M6, so which customer should they please, fitting a v10FSI N/A engine would make the car a direct competitor to the M6 but it would surely effect it's handling or at least we think it will and if they decide to fit a v8 with either a supercharger or turbos then it's clearly a rival to the M3 while still retaining the desired handling to tackle the small M model but also able to give it a bloody nose when a straight opens up and allows it to blast pass.

I personally hope that Audi choose the supercharged route as it gives the smallest weight increase and give the same characteristics as a much bigger N/A engine. Who cares if it's tuning abilities are less, I doubt too many people would ever consider tuning their RS models in the first place.

Please Audi, hear this small voice and grant my wish.

tvrfan
February 3rd, 2008, 19:41

Jarod.

The production B8 S4 would have a 3.0 TT badge and it will have a Kompressor under the hood??? if so that would be totally bullshit. why badge 3.0 TT and it hasnt a Turbo. for testing its ok but stupid also. but for production model it will be just hilarious.

tvrfan
February 5th, 2008, 13:25
i really dont hope that a 3.0 TFSI badge will be the production B8 S4 and a compressor under the hood. that would be just stupid. because it isnt a turbo. if it will be supercharged, it would carrie a different badge like 3.0 SFSI ( could audi carrie the same badge as VW with TSI? )

The Pretender
February 5th, 2008, 17:06
could audi carrie the same badge as VW with TSI? )
TSI is very confusing IMHO.
Under the name TSI are twincharger engines and normal turbo engine's.
Audi call the new EA888 1.8 litre engine 1.8TFSI and VW call the same engine 1.8TSI. :vhmmm:

3.0 litre KFSI will be the better option IMHO.

Jarod.

The Pretender
February 7th, 2008, 21:04
I'm Doing some "RS5" Google-ing.

http://static.autojunk.nl/pictures/20071121104557/image_01.jpg

Change the last picture number in: 2 (black), 3 (blue), 4 (grey), 5 (red), 6 (white).

Jarod.

The Pretender
February 7th, 2008, 21:12
http://static.autojunk.nl/pictures/20071121163906/image_01.jpg
http://static.autojunk.nl/pictures/20071121163906/image_02.jpg

Jarod.

The Pretender
February 7th, 2008, 21:16
http://danajojo.web-log.nl/danajojo/images/audi_rs5_copy.jpg

Jarod.