PDA

View Full Version : Popular Mechanics: R8 vs. Z06 and 997TT

Erik
June 7th, 2007, 19:59
Laptimes and comments:
Viper SRT10:1:15.59
As the miles passed, the Viper's true calling became clear: This beast is a better weekend toy than an everyday supercar.

997TT :1:17.17
The Turbo may well be the quickest, most practical supercar in the world. At $122,900 and up, it’s also one of the most expensive.

Z06 :1:15.74
But when you consider the price, performance and practicality of the Z06, it truly is America’s everyday supercar.

R8 :1:15.69
Still, even factoring in the Audi’s six-figure price tag, this was the one car we all wanted in our own garages. The Audi R8 may be the new supercar benchmark.

Read the test HERE! (http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/new_cars/4217681.html)

http://media.popularmechanics.com/images/supercar-test-0707.jpg

http://media.popularmechanics.com/images/audi-r8-0707.jpg

JavierNuvolari
June 7th, 2007, 20:34
Cool review and glad to see the R8 doing SOOOOOOOO well. Thanks for posting Erik.

I have to say that I'm quite impressed to see the Viper doing so well(laptime), I always thought it was a nose heavy f*ker. BUT, what impresses me the most is to see Audi's beloved R8 gettiing this laptime and veredict. What happened to the 997? When I saw the test I thought the Turbo would be well ahead of the Viper...

Cheers mates,

Javier

Ps. This Z06 Vs R8 Vs Viper Vs 997TT thread....it's going to get good...out get the popcorn :P.

Leadfoot
June 7th, 2007, 22:13
You know something, if you swapped the R8 for a GT3 is in this test and keep the R8's lap time none of us would feel short changed. And remember that the GT3 would be able to post much quicker acceleration times.

It's not only the R8's looks the define it as a supercar but also the way the thing handling, to expect it to better a Z06 and 997TT both of which are amazing handling cars just re-enforces the fact.

The one thing that still puzzles me is why Sport Auto didn't get the same results as both this test and EVO's. Maybe the R8 in their test wasn't performing to it best or possibly the other were performing better than normal.

Erik
June 7th, 2007, 22:53
The one thing that still puzzles me is why Sport Auto didn't get the same results as both this test and EVO's.

Different car perform different on different tracks. Simple as that.

Some tracks award power, some award handling etc.

:R8kiss: Seems like 420 hp is enough ;)

Leadfoot
June 7th, 2007, 23:02
Different car perform different on different tracks. Simple as that.

Some tracks award power, some award handling etc.

:R8kiss: Seems like 420 hp is enough ;)

Fair point but from all I have heard about Hockenheim lead me to believe that it wasn't a power circuit but more a handling circuit. Was this wrong of me as this was a point that 7:53RS6 made when explaining why the M6 was much quicker on it than the M5 but the difference was much smaller on the ring where power was more important. :brag:

Erik
June 7th, 2007, 23:09
True, Hockenheim is more of a handling circuit.

Hence why the 997TT is faster than the R8 there ;)
http://www.rs6.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12247

But as with everything it isn't as simple as looking at hp figures, weight etc. only.
Theory is one thing, practive another.

AndyBG
June 8th, 2007, 00:02
R8 is proving fantasticly good in all it's tests...

Only thing that is interesting to me is, it's in 90% of cases R8 is compared and winning to a cars with all engine positions, but not with cars that have engine in the same place as it self has....

Still, R8 is engineering marvel, i love it ! :R8kiss:

Ruergard
June 8th, 2007, 11:13
Very impressive! Once again, great job Audi! :R8kiss:

Leadfoot
June 8th, 2007, 23:52
R8 is proving fantasticly good in all it's tests...

Only thing that is interesting to me is, it's in 90% of cases R8 is compared and winning to a cars with all engine positions, but not with cars that have engine in the same place as it self has....

Still, R8 is engineering marvel, i love it ! :R8kiss:

Agreed, but the problem is most of the other mid-engined rivals are a lot, lot dearer and aren't really direct rivals, so there you go.

Benman
June 9th, 2007, 00:01
Excellent results! Incredible that the R8 is dang near as fast as any of the other cars considering the big power deficit!:bow:

Ben:addict:

chewym
June 9th, 2007, 07:20
I always knew the R8 would perform well at the track. After all it is named after one of the greatest race cars ever.

PeterJohn
June 9th, 2007, 08:16
Perhaps the difference in the Auto Motor Sport test was the Ceramic brake option on either the R8 or the Porsche. Deceleration can be as important as acceleration. Especially on a handling track.

The gearbox can also make a difference. The Porsche automatic is faster than a manual.

But I'm too lazy to review the articels for an answer. Either way, it's safe to conclude the R8 is plenty fast.

Leadfoot
June 9th, 2007, 08:59
Perhaps the difference in the Auto Motor Sport test was the Ceramic brake option on either the R8 or the Porsche. Deceleration can be as important as acceleration. Especially on a handling track.

The gearbox can also make a difference. The Porsche automatic is faster than a manual.

But I'm too lazy to review the articels for an answer. Either way, it's safe to conclude the R8 is plenty fast.

PJ,

Like yourself I too am to lazy to read the review (especially as it will be in German) but your conclusion but the gearbox is a good one because in this week's AUTOCAR they interview Mr R8 (Stephan Reil) and he basically states exactly what you are saying.

In his interview he discusses the merits of both gearboxes and in his opinion the manual is best suited to road use, while the R-Tonic is best for the track.

Another interesting part of the interview was his views on why Audi cars are the way they are.
Stephan Reil - 'Our overriding goal with the R8 was to create a car that grabbed you by the heart. But having said that, we wanted an owner of average driving skill to be able to appreciate what he had just brought. It's pointless to build a car that is so far beyond the typical driver's ability that he or she can never fully understand the car's full performance.

Maybe I'm wrong but I reckon this is why Audi have doggedly stuck to quattro for all of it's high-performance cars.

SoCal
June 19th, 2007, 09:15
Maybe I'm wrong but I reckon this is why Audi have doggedly stuck to quattro for all of it's high-performance cars.

I think you are correct.

Ruergard
June 19th, 2007, 13:48
I always knew the R8 would perform well at the track. After all it is named after one of the greatest race cars ever.

Agree on that one, they had to make it special. And sure Audi did, amazing car! :R8:

PJ,

Spot on in my opinion as well! :)

How was it EVO wrote..?
"A new dawn starts today." :R8kiss: