May 31st, 2007, 12:47
TG on line features Audi S5...

http://www.topgear.com/content/features/stories/2007/05/stories/10/1.html

florin08
May 31st, 2007, 18:49
They still think that the B8 platform is too frontheavy. :revs:

Leadfoot
May 31st, 2007, 22:13
From what I have read and be told is that market got what they wanted over the chassis guys. The chassis is a masterpiece but they thought to big of a change would alienate their present customer base so what we have at the minute is a work in progress, it will over the coming months/years get chassis tweaks to change it's handling attitude from understeer to more neutral or even slight oversteer, but this will be a long way off.

I think you will be surprised by the RS5 when it finally hits the streets.

AndyBG
May 31st, 2007, 23:11
I think you are wright, Audi can't just ''switch off'' something that some buyers are firmiliar with, for a decades...

Leadfoot
June 4th, 2007, 22:56
Does anyone have an idea as to why the Audi A5/S5 aren't getting the reviews expected of them from this new chassis. OK they have made it feel like an Audi should but come on, they have moved the front wheels forward by 160mm which must have done something different to the handling, steering and ride.

The TopGear test is not very positive in their remarks of all three exercises. Surely Audi could have keep the feel without making the thing perform so similar to the old A4/S4.

tazsura
June 5th, 2007, 11:02
Maybe it's a case of reality falling way below v.high expectations? The chassis i'm sure must be an improvement over past Audi Chassis's, but I think the press and us were maybe (unfairly?) expecting a complete turn around in driver sensation from the new platform. :eye:

Therefore, after drivng the A5/S5 they are coming away from it slightly underwhelmed and more dissapointed...and this is reflected in their reviews.:doh:

The RS5 WILL be considerably different however. Guaranteed. :applause:

Taz :bye:

Leadfoot
June 5th, 2007, 12:39
Taz,

I myself will wait judgement until I get to sample a rwd car on UK roads. But I was hoping for the S5 to equal the RS4 in most cases which would leave room for the RS5 to better them. At the minute I am under to impression that the best we can hope for is the RS5 equaling the RS4's achievements.

tazsura
June 5th, 2007, 12:52
Hmmm, yeh I know what you mean. I don't know if you've sampled the RS4, but I find it hard to believe that it comes from the same stable as the regular B7's sometimes. There really is a massive difference in the way the RS feels.

What do you mean by sampling a RWD on UK roads?

I too will reserve final judgement on the A5/S5 until I see one in the flesh and drive one. However, to me, the car so far looks a dissapointment. It's OK arounnd the front and upto the B-pillar. But it looks flabby on the C-pillar, and the rear lights are very non-descript. Interior? Well, fantastic as always. The fact that reports suggest that it is quite tight in the rear too further dissapoints me. I really was expecting a masterpiece from Audi. A car that looks good in pics and in the flesh. The whole A5/S5 experience for me, so far, has left me underwhelmed.

I still cling to the hope that the engineers will be allowed to fully unleash the potential of the chassis for the RS5! Do we know what the engine is likely to be yet?

Taz :cheers:

AndyBG
June 5th, 2007, 15:37
Auto Bild was impresed with the A5/S5, they even said that it was more agile than new 3 series coupe with X drive...

Leadfoot
June 5th, 2007, 17:55
Auto Bild was impresed with the A5/S5, they even said that it was more agile than new 3 series coupe with X drive...

This is why I'm holding judgement until I sample one on roads where I drove my S4, then I will comment as to whether Audi have improved thing or not. Though at present I could see myself in a TT/S quicker for the short term until the RS5 finally arrives.

KresoF1
June 5th, 2007, 18:36
Very good friend of mine from Germany drove S5 few days ago and in his opinion it is no match at all to RS4(BTW, he could be biased since he owns RS4...). He says that S5 is numb in feeling in comparison to RS4. Also it is definitely slower as well. For the money it is not something special in his opinion.

BUT, one thing was a shock to me-he said that S5 is much bigger car in sheer size then current RS4!

Leadfoot
June 5th, 2007, 21:12
Very good friend of mine from Germany drove S5 few days ago and in his opinion it is no match at all to RS4(BTW, he could be biased since he owns RS4...). He says that S5 is numb in feeling in comparison to RS4. Also it is definitely slower as well. For the money it is not something special in his opinion.

BUT, one thing was a shock to me-he said that S5 is much bigger car in sheer size then current RS4!

Well nothing he is telling us is anything different than what the mags have already said. It's going to be only slightly quicker than the out-going S4 as it only has an extra 10hp after all, so there's little chance of keeping up with a RS4 and the steering from all the test I have read say that the feel is limited but better than the old S4 while being very precise, but all of these things don't really concern me as much as the ride quality. I found my old S4 at pretty handy car when at came to covering ground quickly and I reckon here is where the new one will improve on this, but if it has the same bumpy ride that bounces you from one bump to the other that the old S4 had then I for one won't even consider it.

Like I say, I will hold judgement until I drive one of familiar roads.

PeterJohn
June 7th, 2007, 04:25
As I've said in an earlier thread, I think Audi is holding the A5 chassis back, so they can make future chassis options more attractive. The engineer might have been told it's about maintaining an "Audi feel". But anyone knows it takes only a few days to adjust to a new car, and after that the way it behaves on the limit is much more important than "the drivers' break in period".
And isn't the A5 supposed to steal BMW sales? How are you going to do that, if you maintain the one thing that keeps some people away from Audi.

We know from the RS4 that Audi is well capable of making a car handle. Even a dated family car that has a V8 where the radiator should be.

Mark my words. We'll see a sports suspension option, and/or magnetic ride option, that will "fix" the handling for a small fee. With the TT and the R8, journalists have expressed doubt that the magnetic ride option is really worth the cost. With the A5, Audi will make sure there is a significant difference. Just like the M Packet is a must-have for any proper BMW.

Audiphile
June 7th, 2007, 05:09
CAR makes the following openning statement. "The S5 feels alive, agile, supple, and dynamic. Jut like Audi's R8 supercar....In case of the S5, it's now a perfectly balanced 50:50. BMW take note." Coming from CAR that is a big deal considering how infactuated they are with all things BMW and act like one at times.

Leadfoot
June 7th, 2007, 09:37
Mark my words. We'll see a sports suspension option, and/or magnetic ride option, that will "fix" the handling for a small fee. With the TT and the R8, journalists have expressed doubt that the magnetic ride option is really worth the cost. With the A5, Audi will make sure there is a significant difference. Just like the M Packet is a must-have for any proper BMW.

Agreed and from what I have been told this option will be in place sometime next year, but will be an option for the whole range and not just the S5. One thing I disagree with you is the MagneticRide not being a worthy option on the TT, after sampling both standard and MagneticRide back to back I will tell you the difference especially on bumpy road is easily felt through the seat and through the steering and is a must have option in my opinion.