PDA

View Full Version : R8 driving experience

ott
May 25th, 2007, 22:05
I'm just back from this event and all I can say is, that R8 is truly good sportscar. I think better than 997, although I have driven latter one only on the road, not race circuit.

It was one day event, where first half of the day was spent honing driving lines of induvidual sections of racing track and second half was spent with "hotlapping". There was instructor driving in the front and then 3 cars after him, changing the positions after each lap. Pace was depending on participants ability, the best was to be first car and "push" instructor to go faster. In the end of the day pace was quite ok and street tires were seriously suffering.

Car is quite different compared to RS4, much more agile and sporty. Same sweet engine, but better sound under acceleration. Steering feel was good and I didn't notice any understeer, but with hot tyres, when exiting the corners, rear wheels slipped and ESP was bit too busy. It was not possible to turn it off, this function was disabled for the event. Otherwise I would have seen quite a lot of oversteer. Our cars were with R-tronic trans and standard suspension and steel brakes. R-tronic I liked very much, definetly would prefer over the manual, those downshifts with slight revving between shifts, were especially sweet and shifting in general was faultless - quick and smooth. Didn't try auto mode though. Standard suspension is IMO too much comfort orientated, ok for the street, but soft for the track. I suppose optional adjustable suspenion would improve track handling. We were told, that it's comfort setting is softer than standard and sport setting firmer. Brakes coped ok, but sure ceramics would be better.

Interior is very good design and quality, ideal seating position and sweet engine noise also inside under the acceleration. Not much storage space though. I'm not big fan of outside design, looks good from behind, but not that much from profile.

Anyway, I think Audi has made great job entering new segment, product is excellent, time will tell if thats enough to make it work ?

I will post some pics later.

ott
May 26th, 2007, 09:07
Pics:

http://tarmo.astronet.ee/galerii/thumbnails.php?album=114

Toto89
May 26th, 2007, 19:41
Great pics, thanks for sharing!

ott
May 27th, 2007, 18:27
Another gallery, check out those crazy RS4 drifting pics below:

http://pildid.audiclub.ee/yritused/2007_05_25_audisportscarexperience/

Thats instructors, who offered lap of sideways ride for each participant in the end of the day.

andreadebi
May 28th, 2007, 09:12
awesome!!!

bobey
May 29th, 2007, 13:37
Hia,
I went to the same event, in Latvia however. I must say I liked the R8 however compared to the RS4 there isn't enough "magic" to make me consider the R8. Acceleration wise I didn't really think the R8 has much on the RS4, maybe the avant and cab but not the standard one. Handling is good. Better than the RS4.... hmmm sure but again not by a whole lot. It's design is superb but that alone is not enough of an incentive to buy one. I think getting a bit more power under the hood (V10) will certainly make this car a TON more interesting and that is what I am holding out for. However the biggest let down was the gear changes on the R8 in auto mode. Jerky as hell :-(. If your getting one get a manual!!!

However by the time the V10 version comes, the RS6 should be out and maybe the V12 Q7 and then all of a sudden I might be choosing one of them for a family car instead of my RS4 and then the RS4 will be my "sporty" car (along with an MTM compressor ;-) ).

Well enough rambling. Sure the R8 is nice but the performance seriously is a let down. Let's hope Audi gives it more power soon.

As for the drifting in the RS4. That was probably the most fun all day. Although I enjoyed the whole event.

// jpb

Ruergard
May 29th, 2007, 15:50
Great pics!

Thanks for them and the review! :)