PDA

View Full Version : R8 vs RS5

RXBG
May 11th, 2007, 16:15
if the latter comes with the rumored TT set up and undercuts the R8 by 20K how many of you would chose IT over the R8?

Leadfoot
May 11th, 2007, 16:27
It's apples and oranges all over again. They are two totally different cars, providing differing experiences, so it purely comes down to which car will you prefer. I would need the four seats and boot so the R8 would always be out for me but I do see your point if it's only performance and price that matters to you.

MR USER
May 11th, 2007, 17:26
THe R8 is a second Car... fantastic in handling performance and easy to drive! but no space (in the front boot you can fit 2 helmets and one shopping bag... no more).

On the other hand the RS5 will have a large boot and space enough for 4 adults... so that could be your only car... like the RS4 is for me!

KiwiRS4
May 11th, 2007, 20:40
Mr User - You are wrong about the space in the R8. When the demo car was here in NZ for the launch those of us who were buying one were given an hour each to go over the car with a technician and salesman and do and see whatever we wanted in that hour, except take it for a drive.

Now I have an RS4, had S4s etc and space was a bit of a concern for me as it will replace my RS4 for everything I do. Now I dont have wife or kids so that is important when reading my comments. The space behind the seats is actually quite a lot, I think its 100 litres of space. I put four duffle bags filled with clothes behind the seats, one on top of each other and they fit fine. The space is big enough for a set of normal size golf clubs in their bag there so its not a small space.

Now since I travel by myself a lot the space on the floor in front of the passenger seat is there for me to use as well and if I want to take someone with me then they take a duffle bag of clothes and it goes in the front boot.

Hope that helps and in Dec I will even shoot some pics of my car with my bags in it for you as thats when it arrives.

Cheers

Ned

RXBG
May 11th, 2007, 21:05
kiwi- re: the space issue. i don't know how tall you are, but i am 6 feet tall even. when i sat in the car and put the seat where i wanted there was zero room for any bag behind the seat (except maybe a medium sized flat parcel). my wife- 5'6" did have a bit of room for say, two bags of fine lingeré and some condoms but that was about it.

MR USER
May 11th, 2007, 22:43
If you are a biker than you might be used to pack small bags... I cannot cope with that little space! Moreover the front seat is not a boot! neitehr is the space behind he seats!

I had the car for a day. and I drove it plenty.... I woudn't want to drive around with luggage next to me in the cockpit! things would be flying around!
Not to mention the other 3 passengers that are not very confortable on one seat with the above mentioned luggage!

Leadfoot sad it in a very diplomatic way! "I would need the four seats and boot so the R8 would always be out for me but I do see your point if it's only performance and price that matters to you."

It's all down to the needs of each one of us...

chewym
May 14th, 2007, 00:41
I don't think that Audi would put out a 450 hp twin turbo V8 FSI RS5 while there is a 420 hp V8 FSI R8. If the RS5 would have the twin turbo setup and 500 lb-ft of torque (which sounds fishy) it would be a way more sporting than the R8.

Leadfoot
May 14th, 2007, 11:58
I don't think that Audi would put out a 450 hp twin turbo V8 FSI RS5 while there is a 420 hp V8 FSI R8. If the RS5 would have the twin turbo setup and 500 lb-ft of torque (which sounds fishy) it would be a way more sporting than the R8.

Surely the same applies with the RS6, it too will out accelerate the R8v8. Just because the R8 will maybe slower in acceleration doesn't mean that the RS5 will be allowed to go over the 155mph limit unlike the R8 and in any case what is the likelihood that the RS5 being the trackday car that the R8 is or even as entertaining off the track.

Sorry but the two cars are a world apart and as such aren't even competitor in my book and this is me defending the car I will never own against my next possibly car instead of a S5.