PDA

View Full Version : Q7 headlights

gjg
March 18th, 2007, 09:43
high beams on Q (bi-xenon), although fine in lower speeds, are not sufficient in higher speeds (130+ km) - at least in my case. :nana:

There is this wonderfull "daylight" driving lights option for lazy americans incapable of turnig the headlight switch on/off in the inner headlamp position - did anyone thought about modifying this for second set of high beams (like on rs)?

Leadfoot
March 18th, 2007, 12:24
gig,

I didn't spec the bi-xenon on mine and from what you are saying I am glad to have saved the money. I find the standard ones just fine.

gjg
March 19th, 2007, 11:55
I'm gonna dig in to possibilty removing the daylight feature and replace it with second set of high beams when I get little time. Once you get to 140-150 there is not enough light - unlike with rs :doh:

Xenons (adaptive option) have one nice feature - they turn with stering wheel and it certainle helps in turns. :thumb:

Benman
March 19th, 2007, 17:14
George, is it possible to do comparo pics in some parking lot between the RS 6 high beams and the Q7?

I ask this because it seems weird that the Q7 being a much newer platform would have worse headlights than the "old" RS 6. It also might be a case of the RS 6's brakes being able to handle the range of the headlights much better than the Q7. :D

Ben:addict:

gjg
March 19th, 2007, 18:28
two issues:

1. color is different in RS and Q xenons - that is not that much of a big deal

2. rs high beams use xenons and the additional high beam lamp in the headlight. Q does not, only Xenon so that is one light on each side. While this is ok at lower speeds certainly does not perform worth a damn at 200+ unlike RS highbeams ...

On Q the lightbulb in second position (closer to the center line) is used for "daylight driving lights" with 21W bulb instead of second set of high beams

maybe I'm expecting too much :doh:

once the weather worms up I'll take both cars out and take some pics - we have some major snow coming for next three days.

Leadfoot
March 20th, 2007, 14:51
gig,

I don't have the xenons and my lights are fine.

But then again we do have a 70mph speed limit over here and you know me, I wouldn't break any motoring offenses so I will never know how bad mine might be at such speeds.:p

Benman
March 20th, 2007, 15:23
gig,

But then again we do have a 70mph speed limit over here and you know me, I wouldn't break any motoring offenses...

Then don't go riding with George mate!!!:trash: :applause:

gjg
March 20th, 2007, 22:22
oh heck, we too have some speed limits ... I don't drive fast, just fly low :D

:cheers:

gjg
March 20th, 2007, 22:26
btw got between 5-20 inches of snow today betwen my house and 100 km down south over the hills ... the "tractor" performed perfectly even in the deep s**t on top of the mountains, just buldozing through :thumb:

oh, and my fuel consuption improved pretty well too :snow:

Benman
March 21st, 2007, 01:26
oh, and my fuel consuption improved pretty well too :snow:

See what happens when you are forced to drive reasonable speeds. ;) :D