PDA

View Full Version : r8 or carrera 4s

bober3
March 6th, 2007, 22:56
when i saw the different test that journalist and magazine make on the r8 and the comparaison between the carrera 4s, I constat that the porsche 911 is 20 to 30 k less expensive than the r8, have better handling and acelleration. But the r8 extablished a new desing on the market that make turn head more than the carrera 4s and also the v8 fsi who i think is better than the boxer 6

so guys waht do you think about that.

Leadfoot
March 6th, 2007, 23:07
It a case of personality, are you a leader or a follower. The follower chooses the Porsche in the knowledge that the car is respected and carries an air of quality that few cars have. If you are a leader you will choose the R8, wanting to set to trend, you like to looks even though they are different from the norm and are happy to pay a little more for what at present people regard as the inferior product.

So bober3, what are you?

nene
March 6th, 2007, 23:11
I'd pick the R8

Qriouz
March 7th, 2007, 00:41
r8 anytime!!

Skaala
March 7th, 2007, 01:03
R8.....I don't like non Turbo 911's

bober3
March 7th, 2007, 01:28
It a case of personality, are you a leader or a follower. The follower chooses the Porsche in the knowledge that the car is respected and carries an air of quality that few cars have. If you are a leader you will choose the R8, wanting to set to trend, you like to looks even though they are different from the norm and are happy to pay a little more for what at present people regard as the inferior product.

So bober3, what are you?

Before I would make a test drive with the two cars but I love the audi r8 desing and the engine that make me dream with is sound and power. I have the same opigion as you when you saying that people look audi as a inferior product compared to bmw and mercedes and i found it desapointing and I hope that this will change with the r8 and futur audi cars.

JavierNuvolari
March 7th, 2007, 01:33
R8.....I don't like non Turbo 911's

+1, same here Skaala.

AuditudeA642
March 7th, 2007, 03:07
R8 this is an audi forum lol

sleepera8
March 7th, 2007, 04:36
porsche. The R8 is more stylish, but I'd prefer performance any day over styling.

Leadfoot
March 7th, 2007, 11:18
porsche. The R8 is more stylish, but I'd prefer performance any day over styling.

Fair comment and understandable being as yet the R8 hasn't being fully tested against an of it's rivals in the true sense of the word. The hardest achievement the R8 will face is convincing the supercar public that awd has a rightful place in that market place and that the Audi deserves to be there.

Porsche was always been in this market, as has Ferrari, Lamborghini, Pagani etc. BMW is tried and failed twice if you include the Z8, Mercedes have in a way side-stepped it and entered by the back door so to speak by producing their 65amg models, the performance of a supercar but the appearance and manner of a big GT.

It's a brave move by Audi but of all the German manufacturers it's the only one in my opinion that has a chance of pulling it off and if so will move the brand to a level above BMW/Mercedes as the only true mainstream German sportscar brand.

sleepera8
March 7th, 2007, 13:20
Fair comment and understandable being as yet the R8 hasn't being fully tested against an of it's rivals in the true sense of the word. The hardest achievement the R8 will face is convincing the supercar public that awd has a rightful place in that market place and that the Audi deserves to be there.

Porsche was always been in this market, as has Ferrari, Lamborghini, Pagani etc. BMW is tried and failed twice if you include the Z8, Mercedes have in a way side-stepped it and entered by the back door so to speak by producing their 65amg models, the performance of a supercar but the appearance and manner of a big GT.

It's a brave move by Audi but of all the German manufacturers it's the only one in my opinion that has a chance of pulling it off and if so will move the brand to a level above BMW/Mercedes as the only true mainstream German sportscar brand.

aren't the new lamborghini's 4wd? bugatti is as well.

MB has the mclaren slr as well, but it's hard to call any MB a super car. They're more GT cars, as you say.

only by the name, Audi, is VWAG moving back into the sports car name. [but as VWAG owns Lambo & Bugatti, they're all ready there]

Leadfoot
March 7th, 2007, 13:28
I know Lambo are awd but as they are long establish in the market place I didn't include them in the statement of awd. Audi has also been awd with their hyperformance cars unlike Lamborghini which slowly changed to it and then it became the norm so people see the brand image and not the philosophy that Audi uses to sell it's cars. The Bugatti has sold less than what 50 cars so can't really be included and as for Mercedes, I was more talking about them and not their tie-up with McLaren.

Finnus
March 7th, 2007, 17:10
Fair comment and understandable being as yet the R8 hasn't being fully tested against an of it's rivals in the true sense of the word.

I agree. Everything I've read (everything I can get my hands on LOL) is pretty subjective in the comparisons. I personally think the 911 styling is boring. How much has it really changed [visually] in the last 10 years (or 20)?

I love the looks of the R8. Even assuming the Porsche is more of a "drivers' car" (which it probably is), I personally would not be taking it to the limits and certainly not to the track. What is the difference 2%, 5%? Insignificant for me.

With that balance of performance, luxury, creature comforts, and WOW-factor, R8 wins for me. Hands down.

Finnus

Fab
March 7th, 2007, 17:22
Very interesting tread as this is slowly coming as my "problem to solve". I am currently more than happy with my RS4 but also looking around for my next car (1-2 years time) and my first choice would be to go for a Porsche. Which one ? Well either 4S, GT3 or TT. Yes the prices are not the same but it's not the issue. The issue is well what sort of car do I really want to have ? A N/A good performance/daily allround car so it is the 4s or do I want the ultimate track car (GT3) or the best GT/daily car/easy to drive which is the TT. I am shure I can't go wrong but what about the R8 ? I love Audi and will be soon testing the R8. My issue is : is it worth spending this amount of money for an Audi (sorry not a critic as i love Audi) but on this car level you have plenty of other "high brand" cars to be considered. Also Porsche remains a Myth (then of course you like or not...) Then the Turbo might be "boring" because to easy to drive, sound is just ok and driving pleasure much higher in a GT3...

Well for the time being I am confused but I don't mind as I have time before taking my decision. But I fully understand this sort of "wonder" that some of us might have :confused:

KoenVAG
March 7th, 2007, 17:23
I've been a Porsche fan for several years with my favourite the twin-turbo aircooled '95.
[I never had the pleasure to drive one so I'm only talking about the looks, performances and tests I read.]
But the R8 seems to be a lot in one car.
Superb styling, probably high standard of quality, unique design and much more...
And Audi is [has been] working on a complete army of Sport[S] and SuperSport[RS] so the experience is already there and will only grow.
What I think is also an extra is the fact that the R8 will be available in both Sport&SuperSport so he could compete in different leagues.
[From a normal 997 carrera to a turbo f.e.]

So I believe you have a difficult choice to make, Porsche has a sportsreputation and a very good sportscar, Audi has a good carreputation, is building on his sportscars and releases a very hot-looking supersportscar which will be unique in our streets.

So...if I was you....I wouldn't be able to sleep the following nights:lovl:

Koen:alig:

rks838
March 8th, 2007, 00:14
alright cut the crap - "If you're a leader, you'll buy the R8" - c'mon now! - the day people start buying specific cars because someone on the web says that this shows they are leaders, I'll truly lose faith in the world - the guy who buys the 911 is a "follower," yet if he is judged by the statement itself, he is an independent thinker, right?

We all get brain farts...

Mori
March 8th, 2007, 00:51
4S or GT3.

Why?

Because you have more luggage space and can easily go for a week long trip with a passenger. Try fitting your luggage in the R8.

Besides - its a Porsche. ;)

Leadfoot
March 8th, 2007, 00:55
alright cut the crap - "If you're a leader, you'll buy the R8" - c'mon now! - the day people start buying specific cars because someone on the web says that this shows they are leaders, I'll truly lose faith in the world - the guy who buys the 911 is a "follower," yet if he is judged by the statement itself, he is an independent thinker, right?

We all get brain farts...

RKS838,

It was a joke, man everyone is so touchy at the minute.

The point I was making was the Porsche is a no brain-er, everyone respect the brand and know what they are buying into. With the Audi this is not the case, well in the supercar market that is and it will take a person with a strong will and belief in what he wants to choose it as they are buying in to the unknown so to speak what with resale etc. No doubt the product will perform very well and will handle like the best of them but it is a lot of money to lose if the product's resale isn't the strongest.

It was a joke, please take it at face value.:thumb:

Fab
March 8th, 2007, 11:56
well that's trze the real unknown is the resale value of the R8... not so shure it will hold very well :confused: