PDA

View Full Version : Which Stereo's the Best?

borispmchan
January 22nd, 2007, 10:29
I enjoy listening to stereo with a bit higher quality but which one's the best?!
I've heard that Klipsch's rather good, but does it worth such a unbearably high price?
Bose's famous but its small and 'virtually invisible' drivers worries me.Harman doesn't provide much choices. Which brand and which model is the best in value and quality?
P.S. How about Marantz? My Dad told me that they are great in the past, is it a good choice for great stereo?

tazsura
January 22nd, 2007, 10:36
I have NAD amps and receivers and KEF and Jambo speakers. It sounds fantastic...but is a bit pricey.:bow:

My old system was Marantz and was excellent also.

Taz
:cheers:

Leadfoot
January 22nd, 2007, 12:41
At any price Krell or McIntosh Amps and B&W or Altec Lansing Pro speakers. At a price NAD or Rotel Amps and KEF or Polk Speakers.

borispmchan
January 22nd, 2007, 12:51
Any thing from Germany?

Leadfoot
January 22nd, 2007, 14:23
Any thing from Germany?

The only German Hi-Fi equipment I know much about is for the car and it's MB Quart.......Good Kit.

Charles DLF
January 22nd, 2007, 15:33
Don't know much about stereos, but i have the bose/audi system in my A3 and my A4 cab, and i just love it... does anyone know how good it "really" is??

Leadfoot
January 22nd, 2007, 16:33
Don't know much about stereos, but i have the bose/audi system in my A3 and my A4 cab, and i just love it... does anyone know how good it "really" is??

I too have a BOSE system in mine, but to tell you the truth it average at best. Compared to a £1K system on the after market of amp, speakers and sub it wouldn't hold a candle, but the advantage is no hassle fitting the thing. I use to sell the stuff and even I wouldn't take the hassle of fitting it even though it's much better.

The biggest problem with the after market gear is when to stop.

P.S. The best kit for it is Alpine headunits, KEF, Phoenix Gold and JL Audio speakers, Soundstream, Phoenix Gold Amps and Volt (REL use their subs), JL Audio Subwoofers.

Ruergard
January 24th, 2007, 14:21
We have Harman Kardon amplifier and CD-player with B&W speakers in our house. Amazing sound in my opinion, and Harman Kardons design is very nice as well! :D

Leadfoot
January 24th, 2007, 19:21
A few years ago I have Harman Kardon kit and it lovely to look it and has a meaty sound, even though it adds it's own signature to the music what it bring is very nice. I now run Denon (AV) and Altec Lansing THX speakers, I have moved away from just music and now love movies.

'LayerCake' great with the RS6.

tazsura
January 25th, 2007, 09:28
A few years ago I have Harman Kardon kit and it lovely to look it and has a meaty sound, even though it adds it's own signature to the music what it bring is very nice. I now run Denon (AV) and Altec Lansing THX speakers, I have moved away from just music and now love movies.

'LayerCake' great with the RS6.

...'LayeCake' great with the RS6 AND Sienna Miller.....:love:

Taz :trash:

OfftheHeZie
January 27th, 2007, 00:14
How good is the optional B&O system in the A8 compared to aftermarket sound systems? I wouldn't think it would be a slouch, but I just wanted to find out from anyone that knows.

borispmchan
January 27th, 2007, 07:07
B&O? It's just okay, but not good enough. it is a bit fuzzy and not practical. I don't recommend it.

Leadfoot
January 27th, 2007, 13:31
How good is the optional B&O system in the A8 compared to aftermarket sound systems? I wouldn't think it would be a slouch, but I just wanted to find out from anyone that knows.

The simple answer is it quite good up to a point, but if you were to provide a top installer with £5K and asked to fit a system than the B&O system would sound very ordinary. The question you have to ask yourself is, would you prefer Audi to fit the system knowing that it's covered under warranty and looks perfect with the inside of the car or have a much better sounding system that wouldn't quite look as integrated and not have the same warranty. The choice is yours. I would also say that the Lexus system would be closer to an aftermarket system on sound quality and image projection but only Tailpipe likes Lexus so won't mention it again.

After years in the game I know which I would choose.:thumb:

SuperstarDriver
January 27th, 2007, 13:49
Bang & Olufsen and Bowers & Wilkins are making the highest fidelity loud speakers in the world at this moment and B&O Beolab 5 is top of the best and has another good thing on it(each speaker is hancrafted and builted with 5 channel amplifier) so you don't need to choose another amplifier and B&W speakers with NAD Amplifiers for house and in the car (i'm not joking about this because i have several prizes on EMMA SQ so...) the best in the world are Brax speakers and amplifiers...the fidelity of those speakers blowse your mind...you can't imagine how perfectly balanced sound could you hear from them and extrem power as well...you feel like in studio, that's how they sounds but there always a but...the speakers and the amplifiers are top of the best in the car audio industry but ARE THE MOST EXPENSIVE IN THE WORLD and for those who actually knows how GERMAN PERFECTION is it, i tell one thing...BRAX=EXCLUSIVELY DEVELOPED AND HANDMADE IN GERMANY)!Sorry for the big letters guys...

Leadfoot
January 27th, 2007, 18:08
Yeah, Brax kits is amazing for two things, it's quality and price. Wasn't around when I was in the car audio game. You can get 99% of the quality for 20% of the price with kits like OZ Audio or Dynaudio, but all these equipment is only as good as the person installing and setting them up.

Here is one of the brands I use to stock when I was in the game.

http://www.voltloudspeakers.co.uk/About_Us/about_us.html:bow:

There is no better sounding subwoofer on the market, just ask REL electronics about that.

And here is one of the finest home speakers from another brand I stocked.

http://www.alteclansing.com/product_details.asp?pID=510S

Though these are a shadow of their last top model with had 8 drivers and 8 amps build-in, they were 7ft tall and each speaker weigh 33stone!:eek:

But remember being the dearest doesn't always mean it's the best as anyone with a Linn turntable will tell you, the very best available for a tenth of the next best.

SuperstarDriver
January 27th, 2007, 18:38
ok man what are you saying is good enough for normal people, but i'm an complete audiofilist and i can't hear at any speakers!And believe me that in a car like Audi with handcrafted fiber glass door panels speakers like Brax are the best in the world (i'm surely not kidding)...you don't even imagine how it sounds Brax Graphic Edition on a perfect handmade car audio car...believe me...at this time i have 2 sets of mid-bass drivers per door from Brax Graphic Pro and on future car i attent to do the unimaginable...3 BRAX ON A DOOR(never ever did someone this kind of thing) cause it will be 360W RMS per door and definetively you need super fiber glass reinforcement and of course Dynamite Extreme door kit plus after all that Brax xVibration paste to do this kind of thing...well...Audi is made in Germany, Brax is made in Germany so you can't imagine how sound a perfect 2500$ loudspeaker on a door, at 2 loudspeakers like i have i distract almost anyone on the street even with the windows on but WITH NO DISTORSION...Brax is capable to manage every kind of music at high levels with no distorsion...nothing...zero...
Yes for a car like mine you must have at least 20000 dollars to do that but at the end you have the best sound car ever...i'm obsessed by perfect sound and the only music i listen is electronic music which byte every power of an amplifier of an loudspeaker because of the complexity of sounds...

borispmchan
January 28th, 2007, 06:23
If Audi is offering Mark Levison stereo, I would probably get one.

Skaala
January 31st, 2007, 14:58
I am very happy with the BOSE Surround system in the A8, it has several settings that automaticlly guide the sound focus, and the subwoofer makes it LOUD! :D