PDA

View Full Version : I'm starting to think...

LamboM
December 24th, 2006, 19:40
Ok soon I'm starting to learn how to drive and I'm already thinking about my 1st car...
Any idea which car should I buy with in a budget of up to 5500 USD?
I'm not reach YET! I'm barely 16 years old
And this'll be my budget

3abdo
December 24th, 2006, 22:38
i would suggest a 95 honda prelude, 99 civic or even an mx6, those are reliable cars so learning on them wont be a problem.

Benman
December 26th, 2006, 16:48
i would suggest a 95 honda prelude, 99 civic or even an mx6, those are reliable cars so learning on them wont be a problem.

I'd second that. Cheap maintenance and supreme reliability. Also, try a Golf TDI, good reliability and very good fuel economy. Excellent first cars...

Ben:addict:

JavierNuvolari
December 26th, 2006, 19:07
Nissan Primera P11/ Infiniti G20 ;).

LamboM
December 26th, 2006, 21:53
All of these cars sounds good but there are few problems:
-the cheapest hoda parlod I could find costs (and that's 1999) 13,000+
- Glof TDI 8800+ the only cheap ones I could find are 1991-
- The honda civic for 1998 10000+ the cheaper ones are from 1995- and just under 5100 but it is a 1995
and I'm not sure how good it is
- Nissan Primera for a 1995 5700+
- And as for the Infiniti I couldn't find any yet
- And as for the MX6 couldn't find one ither
What am I going to do?
Buying a car sure is a hard thing to do :confused: :vhmmm:
I'll keep looking mean while any more ideas?

LamboM
December 29th, 2006, 14:38
Still need some help

Lateknight
December 29th, 2006, 19:22
I assume you are in the U.S ??

Whats your criteria? ie max age considered. coupe or saloon, fast or economical etc ?

LamboM
December 30th, 2006, 09:28
No I don't live in the U.S I to calculate it for U.s dollars because that's the easiest
But in Eruo it's about 4169 Or in 2817 british pounds.
Now I'm looking for a 4 door saloon (So that I can take my friends)
that will be fuel economical so it won't cost too much to run and not too expensive by the insurance companies And if it'll be fast that would be an excellent bonus since I love fast cars...
And I really prefer not too ugly or too old but since by budget is so low I can't expect too much now can I?
And 12 year old is the lowest age that I want which takes us to a 1995 model but as new as possible since old cars are not very safe...

LU-RS6
December 30th, 2006, 17:32
ok it's french but what about a peugeot 306 gti? has around 160 HP so should be enough as a first car.
But what country are you living in? kind of important thinking of taxes and/or fuel prices...

Benman
January 2nd, 2007, 16:53
ok it's french but what about a peugeot 306 gti? ..

That may be a good idea. Still say the TDI would be the better bet...

LamboM
February 8th, 2007, 22:54
Hmm...
I already said that I couldn't find any budget TDI
As for the 306 GTI, I found lots of 306s but no GTIs and they were quite cheap.
Question is if they are safe reliable and won't cost much too run.
(in terms of insurance and fuel economy)

LU-RS6
February 8th, 2007, 23:51
Again: where are you living? That is really important in order to be able to give you a decent reply...:vhmmm:

steffenr
February 9th, 2007, 13:48
everything called GTi, you cant insure as a new driver.

JavierNuvolari
February 9th, 2007, 19:17
everything called GTi, you cant insure as a new driver.

Very good point, but you can always register the car on your folks:hihi: .

Anyway, I still think the Nissan Primera is a very good choice. The one you mentioned earlier is an older model than the one I was talking about. 95' is a P10, you need to look for a 97' onwards P11. Whatever you do stay away from the P12, those came with CVT tranny and unless you're into that I would not consider it as an option.

If you're in the UK/Spain, you should't have trouble on finding one, but remember : it has to come with a SR20DE engine...otherwise it's not worth it.

Best of luck,

Javier

Benman
February 10th, 2007, 00:21
Again: where are you living? That is really important in order to be able to give you a decent reply...:vhmmm:

Check his sig: "On Your Head"

...Ah youth... wasted on the young...

LamboM
February 10th, 2007, 11:00
...Ah youth... wasted on the young...

Lol

Any way I actually live in Israel for the past 6 years (the heart of the middle east)
Insane place but fun to live in.
Unlike other places in here I can go out and stay up to 3 o'clock in the morning
with out too much trouble and most places are still open,
it's fun.

Benman
February 12th, 2007, 16:32
Lol

Unlike other places in here I can go out and stay up to 3 o'clock in the morning
with out too much trouble and most places are still open,
it's fun.
Try Vegas! ;)

LamboM
February 13th, 2007, 15:20
I've been there and after 10 O'clock most places are closed
not to mention san francisco that after 9 everything is already closed
and los angeles is the worst no one walkes on (even on daytime) the streets everybody needs a car , there is so much crime.
But that was a gret vacation in the U.S.A though I really enjoyed it was a 17 - days vacation a little to short but still great fun.

Any way back to our business
in here there is a problem with cars since there are so many cars on the road
the tax rate is extremely high 100% that means
that cars cost twice as much as they cost back in germany (or my home contry romania) and that creates a problem for me...
Please help me to find a good car???
My driving lessons are getting closer and closer and my dad said he won't let me drive his car he didn't gave my brother and my sister back when they were little
and he won't give me now so please help me???

Benman
February 13th, 2007, 16:26
I've been there and after 10 O'clock most places are closed...

Doesn't sound like you've been to Vegas then...

As for the car, you started this thread two months ago and running out of time. My point, you'd be best off just finding any car that is cheap. You're only 16, and have your entire life to get better cars.:thumb:

LamboM
February 13th, 2007, 17:32
Well I can't just buy any car there are a lot of things to concider
as metioned on the other replys
besides buying cheap is getting cheap trust me I know that...
So I just can't go arround and buy every cheap car I see I need to know what to buy I, I need you people to help me with that
After all you guys are professionals...
I'm tring to get more money but it's not so easy...
Maybe you guys have a car for sell?
A BMW M3' M5 or audi of some sort for 5600 USD?
(I know that you won't agree but I keep on hoping Is this hope in vain or not?)

Benman
February 13th, 2007, 20:28
Well I can't just buy any car there are a lot of things to concider
as metioned on the other replys
besides buying cheap is getting cheap trust me I know that...
So I just can't go arround and buy every cheap car I see I need to know what to buy I, I need you people to help me...

Well now, let's see.

Honda Prelude, Honda Civic, Golf TDI, Nissan Primera, Infinitis, MX6s, Peugeot 306s, etc. have all been suggested. But they were either "too expensive" or some other reason. So what else to suggest, I have no idea. It sounds like you want everything for nothing, can't help you there...

As for the S4 for $5600.00, well, maybe a MkI in somewhat good condition, but unless the proverbial mana falls from the sky, you're screwed. Either pay up, or buy something cheap!

jonas_dg
February 14th, 2007, 15:41
Owning a 306 GTI I can only say it made me happy for the last 7 years, very good and safe handling, especially for a young driver, and still fast in todays standards. If you can live with the not so german build quality I'd recommend it (and it still looks a lot better than a golf 3/4 imho) My story ends bad though, unfortunately, some douche smashed into it while it was parked and then drove away, (impact around the right wheel, hit the suspension too) since that moment it never drove the same. Which is why I'm replacing it in the near future :)

3abdo
February 15th, 2007, 15:02
i would suggest then a 92 - 93 honda accord, those are very easy to repair, and they are good cars, if u find an EX-R model, u have hit the jackpot, its really fast enaugh for a new driver...

LamboM
February 19th, 2007, 21:17
Well I've found a job so I might be able to rais the budget
As for the 306 GTI I'm sure it's great but as I siad I couldn't foind any
Same with the honda accord 1992-3 all I've found is 1999+ with price tags of
9000$+
But here are a few cars I've found under my budget:
- 1999 BMW 520 95,000 KM black (but something is a little fishy)
- Chevrolet lumina (they were all cheap)
- A normal 306 (they were all cheap as well)
- Renault clio (all of them cheap)
- Chrysler Stratos (all cheap)
- Audi A - 6 1997
- 1993 Audi S - 3
So which ones should I be consider?

Benman
February 19th, 2007, 21:41
But here are a few cars I've found under my budget:

First, congrats on the job, as that will help. ;)

Second, write off the Lumina and Stratos. The BMW, A6 or S3 would all be fine choices. :thumb:

LamboM
February 19th, 2007, 22:40
Thanks.
But what is wrong with the Lumina and Stratos?
I mean I know that these are big american cars and those usually heandle rubbish and most big american cars are not so reliable but is that the same story with those 2?
Yeah well as for the BMW, it caught my eye but there is something fishy about it.
I meaan it costs 7100$
A 2.5 liter engine
and it did 95,000 KM (which is not too bad) Isn't that too cheap for a BMW?
Is it relyable and cheap to run?
And there is no photo so I am worried

Benman
February 20th, 2007, 16:20
Thanks.
But what is wrong with the Lumina and Stratos?

Nothing... but you said you wanted a good first car! :D Seriously, they're reliable enough, but the anti-excitement mobiles. If you want a cheap American car that is reliable, but also fun, try a late 80's/early 90/91' Camaro Z28. Yes, the handling is rubbish, but they are fun as all get out and still as reliable as the Stratos/Lumina, but with FUN!

Charles DLF
February 21st, 2007, 09:08
I'm starting to think...

Please don't hurt yourself!!... :360: :360: :360: :360:

1993 S3????? Something isn't correct here... Standard A3 came out 1996....

Where do you live? Cause here in France 306 GTIs are easy to find, but if you're young and on a limited budget, go for a very very fun Saxo VTS/106 GTI, they are cheap, easy to tune if you're into it, and boy are they fun on a track... And if you have about 8000 euros, a 206 S16... a blast (PS i usually hate french cars!!)

EDIT: you live in israel sorry, just read

LamboM
February 22nd, 2007, 09:16
Please don't hurt yourself!!... :360: :360: :360: :360

hahahah so funny :lovl:
That's a joke for 5 year olds :boring: :nono:
So are you 5?

Any way..
Well it might be easy to find in france because after almost all peugeot are built there (if I'm now misstaking some are built in britain and some more places)
That's why they are so easy to find in here they are hard to find (atleast through the internet that is..)

this is the S-3 I was talking about:
http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/2442/1118307020070113140143ej3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
It is an S-3 isn't it???

And what do you think I should go for the BMW?
Because look at the details and the prize don't you think it's fishy?

gmbh6
February 22nd, 2007, 21:25
Buy this...

http://i3.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/82/cd/c730_3.JPG

...current bid is only $200 US :mech:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-ferrari-430-spyder-f1-loaded-U-S-A-SPEC-W-4K_W0QQitemZ320085705149QQihZ011QQcategoryZ6212QQr dZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

JavierNuvolari
February 22nd, 2007, 22:14
That's actually an S2 if my eyes are correct. Hot car...I would definetelly go for it, but remember : Cars need to be taken care of...and Audis are far from cheap
-service and spare parts- from a student budget point of view.

BTW...make a bit on that 430:hihi: ...

Saludos,

Javier

MR USER
February 22nd, 2007, 22:38
I guess you can have a bus card for cuple years and plenty of taxi rides with that kind of money! on the other hand if is 4 weels you are looking for you should not go for performance but safety.... That kind of money cannot get you anywhere fast or sporty so compromising to get something as fast as possible in that range might lead you to give up on safety. that is really the worst you could do. go for a robust car that can protect you well. something that in case of an accident will resist.

Afeter all you are young if you are at your first and in no time you will make enough money to buy yourself a safe and fast car!!!

My first car was a W Golf with 60 hp. 1.6 tons 0 to 100 km in 2 weeks or so. i crashed it several imes and twice really bad. The last accident I had I rolled over and amcked a tree. That car sasved my life! it was not fast but safe. since then I had 4 more cas (average of 2 years per car) and the horses and performances went up from car to car. So did my skills and passion for driving.

Back then I was thinking that having such a slow and shit car sucked. looking back I'm thinking that if the choice for a fast but unsafe car (like the FIat Uno Turbo or the Punto GT - old hot hatches you probably will not konw) I would not be here writing this message and more than that I would not be driving my marvellous RS4!!!!

I'm still in my 20 so I guess you will not have to wait long if you work hard for it!

One more thing. if you gradually build up to the performance you are able to enjoy it much much more...

LamboM
February 26th, 2007, 10:48
Yeah sure I'll bed on it
It is now 255,000 So cheap it is a bargain....

Now back to the real world
You're right MS So what are the safest cars up to 5900 USD?

And about the future you got lucky for being so sucsessful so early
What I want to do in my life is more complicated:
I've narrow the list of things of what I want to do with my life to just 2
profession:
- psychologist - which is (from what I've heard) a very hard one
- Car designer - That one is even harder, if I really want this one to succeeed
I'm gonna have to go with aerodynamic engineering and mechanical engineering
now the good things about those 2 are that they both can bring buckets load of money (at least psychology I don't know much about how car desighning works do they make a lot of money there? I mean the engineers).
And they both fascinates me.
Now for the bad things:
Untill you earn reputation in those 2 and start making money, it could take a long time maybe even very long time.... ( at least psychology As I said I don't know about car designing industry)
And I'm not sure where to find a job here in israel or back in europe because I have a problem:
I might have been born in Rumania and they are about to become a part of europe
but, For some reason my dad didin't keep the citizenship so I technically I was born in Israel and from what I know it is almost impossible to get in to europe unless you have a citizenship in there somewhere...
And the car industry is very poore in here And I think that car designing will eventually be my choice
SO you see my point?
(sorry if it's too long but please read it all)

Charles DLF
February 26th, 2007, 16:06
I might have been born in Rumania and they are about to become a part of europe
but, For some reason my dad didin't keep the citizenship so I technically I was born in Israel and from what I know it is almost impossible to get in to europe unless you have a citizenship in there somewhere...

Two things on that matter, one if you were BORN in Rumania, you legally have the Rumanian citizenship, all you have to do is ask for your passport... might be long and a little complicated, but you are rumanian, even if you father is now an israeli. Two, even if you are an israeli, you can come work here in Europe, not a big deal, anyone can ask for a working visa, and let's be honnest, not the hardest thing to get for a young man, well educated, willing to work (i.e. not live off state helps). Three (yeah now i have three points), Rumania is already part of the EU... There is no "techicallity" on where you were born, you were born somewhere, full stop!

And the car industry is very poore in here And I think that car designing will eventually be my choice

Car designing is very challenging, and before you start making "bucket loads" of money, it will take some time. Sure, if you find a job (quite hard to start with), you will earn a decent salary, but becoming very wealthy in this buisness is quite hard, as you will need to be some top notch in your buisness, and that alone is very hard.

My advise on this entire thread is indeed to take the bus for a few years, save some money, and buy yourself a very nice car when you have a certain income, which will allow you to run it, service it, insure it...

Benman
February 26th, 2007, 16:51
And about the future you got lucky for being so sucsessful so early

He said he owns a RS 4 and is still in his 20's. How is this "Lucky"? Hard work is more likely responsible than "luck". There are several of us that bought a RS in our 20's, I'd like to think is was more than dumb "luck".

Work hard, be smart, you too can succeed. :cheers:

LamboM
February 27th, 2007, 21:01
Well it's no that simple
europe is a closed continent I know that I lived there
I know I will have problems going back there
And yes it is a big problem for people to enter europe even to the most educated of them all. here is something I learned in the Knesset (Israel's parliament)
We've had a tour there when we go our identity card.
Now before we got them we've had a meeting with someone form the Department of Immigration and Citizenship and he presented us with this question:
2 people come in to israel one is french and the other is german
Now the german owns 7 company and he is extremly rich
And the french is an average person
Now at this point you're probably thinking hmm let's take the gereman he can contribute a lot to the country But wait it is not that simple
Ok so he has a lot of money but you can't just ignore the other one after all he is also a human being now isn't he?
So you see my piont??
Ans it is even more complicated than (with europe) that because from what I see
the EU doen't like the idea of Immigration, after all people keep Immigrating to europe from arround the world, and they are tring to keep the economy healthy.
After all if all the jobs will be taken by none European people then the whole economy will collapse and they can't let that happen now can they?

Now as for the car desighing I know it's not easy I never said it is...
Psycolagy is one of the hardest courses in universty and aerodynamic and mechanical engineering are even harder because it contains a lot of math and physic and so on and so on...
Now 2 thing that I can say about my self is that:
1. I'm am absolutely not a quitter, for me to quit something it needs to be really really really hard...
2. I am quite creative and that's important in the car industry now isn't is?

And as for for public transportation, back here it is useless and absolute and total rubbish!!! I've been going in buses every morning to school ever since I moved here and it is Rubbish, sometimes a bus that should get every 5 munits get's after 20!!!! And it desn't end there there are places that are loaded with bus lines
and places that no bus line goes through there so what I'm saing is that agin it is rubbish rubbish rubbish rubbish rubbish!!!!!!!!
there are subway stations or thing like that (there are trains of curse but only for the long ranges when you need to move from city to city they are very good but not from place to place in town)
Tha's why car is so important here
Algthou cars also have some problems here:
- Cost
- And parking space (only where I live, in the big city of Tel Aviv and the rest of the country it's not that bad)
But I prefer to look for a prking space than waiting for a bus

Agin I'm sorry if it's long but please read it

MR USER
February 27th, 2007, 23:01
you have several good points. My answer will be short. Enter from the backdoor!

Use switzerland. Try to study (or do some sort of course here... maybe a specialisation. Learn German well if you can. Then the doors will star to open. As Ben points out there is a lot of work involved... but luck should always be on your side or working hard might not be enough. (at least I think that way)

Having to face hard situations is ordinary business. How you use your brain to solve them is what makes you special. Do not look at problems as such. Anknowledge their existance and solve them.

I think both professions will grant you a pass to your RS in your 20 if you can sell yourself well enough and you are willing to work for that.

I will be working my way to an LP640 or a 599. Keep you posted on the progress!!!!

LamboM
March 6th, 2007, 11:30
Switzerland? hmm are you sure?
I think that you're contry is the hardest one to get in to if I'm not mistaking
I think they are anti-Semitic (hate jews and I am one)
I don't know if I'll manage in Switzerland...

Good point, and I am a natural problem solver :)

ANd about that I'm not so sure each degree takes 2-5 years and if I really want to succeed I'm gonna have to go up to 3rd and that may take a while...

And I want the LP640 also and as I said in the other post nothing will stop me from owning one... NOthing!!!

Charles DLF
March 6th, 2007, 13:45
I think they are anti-Semitic (hate jews and I am one)

Don't say general things like that, i have lived in switzerland for quite some years, they are very nice people, and a lot more open minded than one would think. :nono:

Benman
March 6th, 2007, 22:54
Way to label the Swiss... nice. :nana: :rolleyes:

LamboM
March 7th, 2007, 09:01
No no you got wrong...
I didn't mean to label them, it's just that 2,3, and 4 years ago there were all kind of "events" in there such as 41KM long racist parades ( agins Israel) and gangs
went in to cemetery and ruind grave... it was all over the news.
So you see with those events kinda makes me think...
Sorry for labeling...

LamboM
March 11th, 2007, 13:46
No reply?
What now I'm banned from the community?

LamboM
March 12th, 2007, 22:05
Guess this answers my question
Fine I get the point that's the last you'll ever see me agin happy?
Farewell :bye: :incar: :burnout:

Charles DLF
March 13th, 2007, 09:53
i don't think you're banned by anyone, just there is not much left to say... we all gave our opinions on the cars etc... time to pull the trigger mate. Good luck

LamboM
March 13th, 2007, 12:08
Hope you're right
It's just that I pissed off people with 15:30 reply which I have to say I miswrote it And it was misunderstood.
I like this community
But I guess more reply will tell.

I don't label people and I'm not a racist or something sometimes I'm just misunderstood . (just to make it clear)

Edti: my 100th post
Hope it's not the last

Benman
March 13th, 2007, 14:18
I don't label people and I'm not a racist or something sometimes I'm just misunderstood . (just to make it clear)

You're a total flaming racist! Admit it! LOL!!! Don't take life too seriously! ;)

Just pull the trigger like Charles said. We can't hold your hand forever. Buy a car already! :D:D:D:D

LamboM
March 14th, 2007, 18:55
Yeah that's what I am you got me I'm a Nazi speaking as a 16 year old kid. LOL

Life is hard, and something must be take'n seriously

And buying a car is a hard thing, and you should know it espechialy the first car
when you're young and you don't have much money, and your parents are not rich engh to buy you a car.

There are too many thing to concider,prise,isuranse,economey and bla bla bla...

Tell me is mazda lantis any good?
1996-2001 models
This:
http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/6622/1114967020070309130359qj4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

This:
http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/2668/o1114806120070226130209ur0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Or this:
http://img357.imageshack.us/img357/1836/o1114966920070304090316on9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Which is best?

Benman
March 14th, 2007, 19:31
Life is hard, and something must be take'n seriously

And buying a car is a hard thing, and you should know it espechialy the first car
when you're young and you don't have much money, and your parents are not rich engh to buy you a car.

This:
http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/2668/o1114806120070226130209ur0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Which is best?

Your first car? To be taken seriously? Are you serious? Come on! I bought my first car for $500.00USD so don't tell me about how you don't have rich parents to buy your car for you. Since then, I've owned nearly 20 vehicles, so your first car is not nearly as important as you think. Trust me. I understand that when you're 16, you think you know everything, and everything is SO important, but trust me, it ain't. Your first car is not as big as you're making it out to be. Hell, I hear people choose a freakin marriage mate with less hassles! LOL!!!

So freakin pull the trigger! Dang!

OK, rant over, buy the car (in US, Protege) in the pic I quoted. Solid car, and reliable and fun to boot!

JavierNuvolari
March 14th, 2007, 19:42
Ok....

The Mazda you posted on the first pic it's an Artis(as sold in chilean market) good car. Some of those come with a 1.8 liter engine...quite good for starters if you ask me and 4 wheel discs, wich are handy when it comes to braking.
The second one is the next generation of the previous model I mentioned.
The third one is the coupe version of the same car. I dunno how many element they share.
Pull the trigger LamboM, and post a pic of the car once you've already bought it.

Saludos,

Javier

LamboM
March 14th, 2007, 19:56
NO not the car you said "don't take life so seriously"
I ment in general,
I do think that the firs car is important, in turms of that it'll be relyable and safe,
but not to be taken too seriously
And what on earth is "Protege"?

Really 500 USD?

Which one of those mazdas is cheapest to run (you know fuel economy insurance bla bla bla) and safest?
It's obvious that the firs one is cheaper to buy ,but which will be cheaper on the long range?

When I'll get my car I'll find a way to post my pic (I don't have a digital camera).

Benman
March 14th, 2007, 21:39
Ok....

Pull the trigger LamboM
+100000000000000000!!!!

Get the one in the pic I quoted!

LamboM
March 15th, 2007, 18:46
gggrrrrrrr.... the damn trigger is stuck I can't pull it :(
Turns out it'll be a while before I'll be able to actually drive on it so I'll have a flat battery and blabla so it'll be a while befor I'll get my first car.
And who know it might be a gallardo superleggera :360:
But when I'll get it I'll post the pic of it.
The thing is that in here it's best to learn from a certified teachers and they all have cars, so for the driving lessons a car won't be needed.

LamboM
March 17th, 2007, 23:48
What that's it? we are putting this topic to rest??

LamboM
March 23rd, 2007, 15:37
We are aren't we?! too bad I liked this topic.
It's sad we are sutting it down...